GPA 3.988, sGPA 4.0, MCAT 518, Aiming for T10-T20, Gap year advice needed

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dumplingz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Looking for some guidance on what to do moving forward. I’m in my final year of undergrad and recently got my MCAT score back (518). I have an LM 75.9 and WARS 85, conservatively. The 2017 WARS doc gave me an S level rating and recommended I make 45% of my applications to Category 1 schools (Harvard, Stanford, Hopkins, UCSF, Penn, WashU, Yale, Columbia, Duke, Chicago), which, correct me if I'm wrong, seems like a recipe for disaster.

Although I am aiming for T10 and T20, I feel like there are certain parts of my applications that would hold me back from medical schools like these. Specifically, my MCAT is usually 2-4 points below most T10 schools' median MCAT and I don’t have any pubs yet, though I’ll have a poster, presentation, and 1-2 co-author pubs (low-medium impact) most likely before I apply. Also, I feel like my non-clinical volunteering could be stronger. A majority of my hours come from volunteering in the hospital as well as a nonprofit. I know my leadership is relatively strong since I’m president of my uni’s pre-med organization and founded a nonprofit chapter at my school, but I’m not sure how med schools will view my volunteering experience with the nonprofit over the past couple of years. Basically, we go on week-long service-learning trips to impoverished communities and work in mobile clinics and community service projects. It’s a great introduction to global health disparities and genuinely provides sustainable benefits to the communities we partner with. I’ve gone on several of these trips already and continually work with these communities throughout the year, so it’s not a one-off thing.

I’m planning to apply this upcoming spring cycle, but am unsure of whether to focus on improving my research or volunteering experience during my gap year. For research, I was looking at applying to the NIH IRTA Postbacc program and doing that for the year starting this summer when I’m applying to medical school and up until I (hopefully) matriculate into medical school next year. For volunteering, I was thinking about doing either Peace Corp (with an additional gap year since it’s a 2 year program) or Americorp, since I’m pretty passionate about global health and helping low-income communities. I could also just stay in Boston (where my undergrad is) and continue doing research/volunteering here.

My question is, would it be worth it to put in the extra effort to pursue either IRTA Postbacc or Peace Corp/Americorp during my gap year? Since I would be just starting either activity at the beginning of the application cycle, would either of those activities even benefit my application? I probably wouldn’t be able to fully talk about the experiences by the time I submit primaries, so I would only be able to mention them during my secondaries and interviews. Would it be more beneficial to take an additional gap year and apply only once I have completed either option?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is the bolded sentence your reason for re-applying? Just curious cuz I wasn't aware that clinical exp. needs to be done in the U.S.
It didn't reapply because of that (I got 3 IIs and likely would have been accepted to at least one), but it definitely was a major factor that hindered me.

haha, I wasn't aware of that either, as no one mentions that detail since it's generally just assumed you will be doing your clinicals in the USA. On top of that, since I wanted to pursue MD PhD until a few months before I applied, I wasn't that focused on clinicals to begin with so I never really delved into American vs international clinical experience.

But yes, international clinical experience is a great add-on, but it can never be the base. In other words, doing both is great, doing just american is enough, and doing just international is a hard no.

The only reason I still got IIs is that my research is highly clinical and involved working with patients. It didn't classify as clinical experience under AMCAS, but a few schools that read my application likely saw it as just clinical enough to count.

btw did you reapply for any special reason, or nope? were/are you high stat (I've heard being a high stat reapplicant is especially dangerous)? and are you currently a med student or still in the application process?
I reapplied because I didn't get in my first cycle and still wanted to be a doctor.

Your anecdotes about your reapplication being a positive in your interviews is irrelevant to the situation of people who reapply after being accepted in their first cycle. Of course improving yourself and staying committed to your goal of being a doctor will be seen in a positive light by adcoms (no one on here disagrees with that). Reapply is seen as a red flag when you chose to attempt a second cycle when you could have been an M1 already.

The only exception to it being a red-flag would be some incredible life circumstances like being accepted 5 years ago, getting diagnosed with cancer, beating it but treatment took too long for a deferral of 1-2 years, and then you reapply. Tragic and difficult circumstances that are more common like a death in the family normally result in deferral of acceptance, not reapplication, so reapplying after acceptance really is rare.

Is the bolded sentence your reason for re-applying? Just curious cuz I wasn't aware that clinical exp. needs to be done in the U.S.
Clinical experience needs to be done in the US if you would like to attend medical school in the US. American medicine is a unique beast.

Members don't see this ad :)
I reapplied because I didn't get in my first cycle and still wanted to be a doctor.

Your anecdotes about your reapplication being a positive in your interviews is irrelevant to the situation of people who reapply after being accepted in their first cycle. Of course improving yourself and staying committed to your goal of being a doctor will be seen in a positive light by adcoms (no one on here disagrees with that). Reapply is seen as a red flag when you chose to attempt a second cycle when you could have been an M1 already.

The only exception to it being a red-flag would be some incredible life circumstances like being accepted 5 years ago, getting diagnosed with cancer, beating it but treatment took too long for a deferral of 1-2 years, and then you reapply. Tragic and difficult circumstances that are more common like a death in the family normally result in deferral of acceptance, not reapplication, so reapplying after acceptance really is rare.
Well, yes. Hence why I said just don't let them know you reapplied. Had I been accepted, I would have written my reason for reapplication the exact same way. No one ever assumes you turned down an acceptance unless you tell them that. I actually almost got accepted as one school didn't process my withdrawal fast enough. Scared the **** out of me (although now it seems it wouldn't have mattered much, but at the time I didn't know that). Thankfully (given my circumstances at the time), was waitlisted.

you're complete right that "it is unlikely for most applicants that ~5 months would be enough to build an app that could merit a T20 acceptance". Hence why there is that old advice that applicants should always prepare for reapplication. I began preparing for a reapplication in August, shortly after finishing all my secondaries in late July. So, about 10 months.

It will only come up in an application or interview if you specifically mention it in your app, especially as most schools don't ask and now, without the MAR, schools have no way of knowing. In your case, it was critical to mention why you had prior acceptances you didn't pursue. However, for most that is probably not the case. It certainly wouldn't have been for me.

I withdrew prior to acceptance, as I saw on many different posts on this site that turning down acceptances black lists you at all future med schools. This sentiment was true until the MAR was discontinued in 2018. However, I didn't really know the fine print around the MAR at that time, and even on threads 2019-2021 most people still thought medical schools would somehow know and blacklist you if you had prior acceptances. Had I known this were not true, then I probably wouldn't have withdrawn.

It's not just about prestige tbh. While I care about that, I intend on pursuing one of the most competitive residencies that has a reputation for being one of two residencies that cares the most about school prestige. On top of that, I have a lot of ambitions outside of medicine, specifically healthtech entrepreneurship and politics for which top schools would be very helpful. I'm targeting a residency at Stanford, which helps deeply with securing venture capital funding (Harvard and Penn/Wharton- the other top schools- focus more on private equity) (@voxveritatisetlucis @srirachamayonnaise give me some thoughts if you have a minute, this is what I was told by others in the field). This ambition pretty much necessitates a T20 school, and the higher the better.

I definitely am not sharing this advice for the majority of people. I was a high stat applicant with 0 American clinical experience. It is both the dumbest mistake and the easiest to rectify. When I reapplied I had 500+ hours. However, this situation is not unique either, and tbh not uncommon for people switching from MD-PhD to MD (as I did). My friend (acquaintance tbh) just a year above me didn't get any interviews his first cycle (3.9+/520). Next year he got into Columbia, Stanford, Cornell, and a few more I can't remember. It was his success that actually inspired my reapplication.

I also think it's unlikely I "lost a year for nothing by doing so." I could not only get into a much better school, I could also end up with a substantial scholarship. On top of that, I got a very good research position within my intended residency field for my gap year, which will allow me to get a minimum of 2 publications and perhaps even one medical textbook chapter authorship by the time I enter medical school. At the same time, I'm working on publications in other fields, and expect 4 additional publications from that (2 which have already been submitted). I currently have 3 publications. My goal is to enter med school with 10 pubs, 3 of which are first authorships. I'm essentially using my gap year as a higher paid (50k salary) research year and intend to graduate med school in 4 years.

Last year, I most likely would have been accepted to a T30 with no scholarship or a T50 with small to moderate scholarship (50k total). This year, I am aiming to get into a T10, hopefully maybe even T5 with at least a 50% scholarship. Worst case, I'm looking at a T30 with a full scholarship and I have a moderate chance at a T20 with a full scholarship. Best case, I get into a T10 or T5 with a full tuition scholarship. Combined with the 50k I am making in my gap year, this decision could save me about 450k maximum and 250k minimum (as scholarship money is neither taxed nor gathers interest, while money used to pay off loans goes through both).

Plus, during this gap year, I am not only doing everything I mentioned in that post, I am also genuinely having fun. I accomplished a lot in undergrad. To do so, I took 4 hard sciences every semester for my first 2.5 years. That left very little time to actually explore things outside of academics until the latter half of junior year and my senior year, which was when COVID hit so I could do very little anyway. Now, I'm actually having a great time. I've long had a goal to reach a certain physique before entering medical school, and now I have the free time to do it. I'm extremely happy with my life.

Again, I've said this over and over. I am absolutely not saying this is the correct path for the vast majority of people. I'm posting this for the few people for which it is applicable. And those people do exist- I am not unique. I already cited one person a year older than me. There's another that messaged me on SDN that is making a similar decision. @voxveritatisetlucis while this process has some randomness, it is not completely so. I've predicted my total interview numbers, the specific locations I will receive interviews, and even how many I will receive per month reasonably accurately. I'm not sure if you remember, but in the Mayo specific thread we had a discussion back in August where I said I expected 10-12 interviews total. If this process was truly random, or even significantly random, then I would not be able to do this.
Sounds absolutely great for you, and of absolutely no relevance for just about everyone else. You are a unicorn is every sense of the term, and given your talents and your goals, you should not have applied last cycle, and fixing the mistake by withdrawing was not unreasonable for you.

There are very few, if any, people with such a spectacular application, but for zero clinical experience, who would benefit from a withdrawal and reapplication. 99.999% of people in that situation benefit from advising and don't apply until that box is checked. The vast majority of people who read this thread and think what you did will work for them will end up doing nothing other than losing a year.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds absolutely great for you, and of absolutely no relevance for just about everyone else. You are a unicorn is every sense of the term, and given your talents and your goals, you should not have applied last cycle, and fixing the mistake by withdrawing was not unreasonable for you.

There are very few, if any, people with such a spectacular application, but for zero clinical experience, who would benefit from a withdrawal and reapplication. 99.999% of people in that situation benefit from advising and don't apply until that box is checked. The vast majority of people who read this thread and think what you did will work for them will end up doing nothing other than losing a year.
Fair comment. I tend to think it's a bit more common than you, as high stats with great research and little clinicals are uncommon but not unheard of, especially amongst md phd to md only as I mentioned. I know a few myself.
Then again, as someone that was one of them, I tend to actively look for them. I'm also in a lot of pre md phd student groups across universities, so obviously this problem would be more frequent in that subsample than the general md applicant population.

Fair comment. I tend to think it's a bit more common than you, as high stats with great research and little clinicals are uncommon but not unheard of, especially amongst md phd to md only as I mentioned. I know a few myself.
Then again, as someone that was one of them, I tend to actively look for them. I'm also in a lot of pre md phd student groups across universities, so obviously this problem would be more frequent in that subsample than the general md applicant population.
I understand, but return to what I said earlier. Most people like that will receive advising and not apply until they are ready.

And most people do not have the specific goals and talents you possess. They would apply with some, but not enough, of one thing or another. And they would be successful, although maybe not T10 or T20.

Pulling that application to take another shot in another cycle would be foolish for the vast majority of them, because they are not going to end up at a Stanford level residency, no matter where they go to school, or because they might not even get into the T10 or T20 on the reapp. Or because, if they are really that good, they will end up at the super competitive residency from whatever lower tier school they would have been accepted to the first time around. It happens every year.

It's possible, and there are always exceptions like you, but, for most people, it's a foolish gamble with a very uncertain payoff and real potential damage. THAT is why it's a bad idea, if not a red flag.

you're complete right that "it is unlikely for most applicants that ~5 months would be enough to build an app that could merit a T20 acceptance". Hence why there is that old advice that applicants should always prepare for reapplication. I began preparing for a reapplication in August, shortly after finishing all my secondaries in late July. So, about 10 months.

It will only come up in an application or interview if you specifically mention it in your app, especially as most schools don't ask and now, without the MAR, schools have no way of knowing. In your case, it was critical to mention why you had prior acceptances you didn't pursue. However, for most that is probably not the case. It certainly wouldn't have been for me.

I withdrew prior to acceptance, as I saw on many different posts on this site that turning down acceptances black lists you at all future med schools. This sentiment was true until the MAR was discontinued in 2018. However, I didn't really know the fine print around the MAR at that time, and even on threads 2019-2021 most people still thought medical schools would somehow know and blacklist you if you had prior acceptances. Had I known this were not true, then I probably wouldn't have withdrawn.

It's not just about prestige tbh. While I care about that, I intend on pursuing one of the most competitive residencies that has a reputation for being one of two residencies that cares the most about school prestige. On top of that, I have a lot of ambitions outside of medicine, specifically healthtech entrepreneurship and politics for which top schools would be very helpful. I'm targeting a residency at Stanford, which helps deeply with securing venture capital funding (Harvard and Penn/Wharton- the other top schools- focus more on private equity) (@voxveritatisetlucis @srirachamayonnaise give me some thoughts if you have a minute, this is what I was told by others in the field). This ambition pretty much necessitates a T20 school, and the higher the better.

I definitely am not sharing this advice for the majority of people. I was a high stat applicant with 0 American clinical experience. It is both the dumbest mistake and the easiest to rectify. When I reapplied I had 500+ hours. However, this situation is not unique either, and tbh not uncommon for people switching from MD-PhD to MD (as I did). My friend (acquaintance tbh) just a year above me didn't get any interviews his first cycle (3.9+/520). Next year he got into Columbia, Stanford, Cornell, and a few more I can't remember. It was his success that actually inspired my reapplication.

I also think it's unlikely I "lost a year for nothing by doing so." I could not only get into a much better school, I could also end up with a substantial scholarship. On top of that, I got a very good research position within my intended residency field for my gap year, which will allow me to get a minimum of 2 publications and perhaps even one medical textbook chapter authorship by the time I enter medical school. At the same time, I'm working on publications in other fields, and expect 4 additional publications from that (2 which have already been submitted). I currently have 3 publications. My goal is to enter med school with 10 pubs, 3 of which are first authorships. I'm essentially using my gap year as a higher paid (50k salary) research year and intend to graduate med school in 4 years.

Last year, I most likely would have been accepted to a T30 with no scholarship or a T50 with small to moderate scholarship (50k total). This year, I am aiming to get into a T10, hopefully maybe even T5 with at least a 50% scholarship. Worst case, I'm looking at a T30 with a full scholarship and I have a moderate chance at a T20 with a full scholarship. Best case, I get into a T10 or T5 with a full tuition scholarship. Combined with the 50k I am making in my gap year, this decision could save me about 450k maximum and 250k minimum (as scholarship money is neither taxed nor gathers interest, while money used to pay off loans goes through both).

Plus, during this gap year, I am not only doing everything I mentioned in that post, I am also genuinely having fun. I accomplished a lot in undergrad. To do so, I took 4 hard sciences every semester for my first 2.5 years. That left very little time to actually explore things outside of academics until the latter half of junior year and my senior year, which was when COVID hit so I could do very little anyway. Now, I'm actually having a great time. I've long had a goal to reach a certain physique before entering medical school, and now I have the free time to do it. I'm extremely happy with my life.

Again, I've said this over and over. I am absolutely not saying this is the correct path for the vast majority of people. I'm posting this for the few people for which it is applicable. And those people do exist- I am not unique. I already cited one person a year older than me. There's another that messaged me on SDN that is making a similar decision. @voxveritatisetlucis while this process has some randomness, it is not completely so. I've predicted my total interview numbers, the specific locations I will receive interviews, and even how many I will receive per month reasonably accurately. I'm not sure if you remember, but in the Mayo specific thread we had a discussion back in August where I said I expected 10-12 interviews total. If this process was truly random, or even significantly random, then I would not be able to do this.
If you have any ambition in academic medicine or something outside medicine such as PE and entrepreneurship, a t10 name can go a long way. But I also think that a t50 USMD can get you where you want as well, just a bit more difficult.

It didn't reapply because of that (I got 3 IIs and likely would have been accepted to at least one), but it definitely was a major factor that hindered me.

haha, I wasn't aware of that either, as no one mentions that detail since it's generally just assumed you will be doing your clinicals in the USA. On top of that, since I wanted to pursue MD PhD until a few months before I applied, I wasn't that focused on clinicals to begin with so I never really delved into American vs international clinical experience.

But yes, international clinical experience is a great add-on, but it can never be the base. In other words, doing both is great, doing just american is enough, and doing just international is a hard no.

The only reason I still got IIs is that my research is highly clinical and involved working with patients. It didn't classify as clinical experience under AMCAS, but a few schools that read my application likely saw it as just clinical enough to count.

Off-topic but I always ask anyone that made the switch in decision - why MD over MD/PhD

entrepreneurship, a t10 name can go a long way. But I also think that a t50 USMD can get you where you want as well, just a bit more difficult.
I work in recruitment for a large healthcare accelerator/fellowship fund in the east coast and see few representation from T20 cofounders. To be honest though most have someone from a school but it's often just an advisor or extra-core team member. The most successful one I've seen was from someone at Rutgers, both of the co-founders went to Yale for undergrad though. I think your core idea and value proposition is much more important than any name you can have; again, you can always just get someone from Harvard Medical School to be "on your team" and bam, you can throw that on your elevator pitch if you're one of those kids.

To be honest your undergrad seems to be more important for this type of stuff.

Well, yes. Hence why I said just don't let them know you reapplied. Had I been accepted, I would have written my reason for reapplication the exact same way. No one ever assumes you turned down an acceptance unless you tell them that. I actually almost got accepted as one school didn't process my withdrawal fast enough. Scared the **** out of me (although now it seems it wouldn't have mattered much, but at the time I didn't know that). Thankfully (given my circumstances at the time), was waitlisted.
What did your friend do differently to get into T5s on his second attempt?

I work in recruitment for a large healthcare accelerator/fellowship fund in the east coast and see few representation from T20 cofounders. To be honest though most have someone from a school but it's often just an advisor or extra-core team member. The most successful one I've seen was from someone at Rutgers, both of the co-founders went to Yale for undergrad though. I think your core idea and value proposition is much more important than any name you can have; again, you can always just get someone from Harvard Medical School to be "on your team" and bam, you can throw that on your elevator pitch if you're one of those kids.

To be honest your undergrad seems to be more important for this type of stuff.
Yeah, an ivy leaguer (undergrad, strictly speaking) always gets some sort of advantage.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, an ivy leaguer (undergrad, strictly speaking) always gets some sort of advantage.

Even the "minor" Ivies (including the ones notorious for grade inflation cough ** Brown ** cough)?

It'd be interesting to do a study to determine whether all the Harvard litigation related disclosures about how Ivy admissions really work leads to corrosion of the Ivy League brand.

Once you finish med school does your undergrad really come into play that much? Surprising.
once an ivy leaguer, always an ivy leaguer. All ivy leaguers I know start by telling people where they went for undergrad lol. there are a lot of prestige who*res out there.

• Haha
Even the "minor" Ivies (including the ones notorious for grade inflation cough ** Brown ** cough)?

It'd be interesting to do a study to determine whether all the Harvard litigation related disclosures about how Ivy admissions really work leads to corrosion of the Ivy League brand.
see above. One would argue that Ivy League is not a brand but a status symbol.

Last edited:

Who really cares? Medical admissions probably works in similar ways. Do you really think board of trustees' kids are getting rejected? Lol.

Once you finish med school does your undergrad really come into play that much? Surprising.
It's more like if you went to the undergrad you have the leisure to use all resources by the uni and all it's associations. As a 10 year out alum you can go back and apply to programs, entrepreneurship fellowships, accelerators in your case of interest etc. on top of just general networks and opportunities afforded by the latter, including the medical school in all probability.

Also in practice you probably just say "I went to ___." Like if you went out and looked at people flaunting Harvard degrees in the medical field, I'd bet a solid percentage of them just went there for undergrad or even a masters program, not the medical school.

Last edited by a moderator:
see above. One would argue that Ivy League is not a brand but a status symbol.

All the more reason why the Ivies should have kept standardized testing mandatory. At least then we know the Ivy League driven status points has some basis in objective reality.

• Wow
All the more reason why the Ivies should have kept standardized testing mandatory. At least then we know the Ivy League driven status points has some basis in objective reality.
I thought it was only Brown that stopped considering SAT scores somewhat/made their undergrad admissions more holistic. It's all of the Ivies now?

I thought it was only Brown that stopped considering SAT scores somewhat/made their undergrad admissions more holistic. It's all of the Ivies now?

Harvard is making the SAT/ACT optional for another admissions cycle:

So is Princeton:

And Yale:

Feel free to look at all the other Ivies too. I believe SAT/ACT is optional at all of them right now.

Harvard is making the SAT/ACT optional for another admissions cycle:

So is Princeton:

And Yale:

Feel free to look at all the other Ivies too. I believe SAT/ACT is optional at all of them right now.
I doubt any significant percentage of the admitted class will have no sat or act though. Most likely this is to make it easier to admit more legacy and urms (under represented minorities in this context).

I doubt any significant percentage of the admitted class will have no sat or act though. Most likely this is to make it easier to admit more legacy and urms (under represented minorities in this context).
Legacies and URMs separately and collectively are a large part of any admitted class. At Harvard, legacies are about 1/3 of any entering class.

Why don't they just change their quotas then?

There's litigation risk when there are objective measures.
Well there have been laws passed about racial quotas--California voters passed laws in the 90s stipulating affirmative action (it was later struck down) and Michigan also banned affirmative action at some point.

Affirmative action went all the way to the Supreme Court and was approved in a "limited" capability. See here.

This is the original Supreme Court decision

I quote: "Allan Bakke, who won a landmark Supreme Court 'reverse discrimination' case, has graduated from the University of California medical school he fought for 10 years to enter, but he tried to make sure no one noticed." -Davis, CA

• Love
Really excited to see where this one goes. We were supposed to receive a decision this year, but unfortunately they postponed it to 2022.