Aug 30, 2018
Undergrad: College of Charleston & Virginia Tech
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.0-3.2 (depending on school)
GRE: Verbal 152, Math 155, Writing 4.0
LOR: 2 PT, 1 professor, 1 employer

Extra Curricular (during undergrad): Sorority member, club soccer, club soccer president 1 year, assistant manager of an icecream store, intramural sports, wellness center intern at an ALF, group leader for an aquatic/motor therapy after school program, squash clinic & tutor volunteer.

Volunteer: 50 hours in various outpatient clinics, 2+ years full time job as the rehab aide and admin assistant for rehab department in a skilled nursing facility.

Interviews: NYU, GWU, Emory & Henry (declined)

Waitlists: NYU, GWU, MUSC, UW, Elon (to interview but declined)

Rejections: Thomas Jefferson, High Point, Marymount, Mary Baldwin, Marshall

Acceptances: University of Lynchburg, Touro NY, MUSC

Attending: MUSC

Last edited:
Feb 14, 2019
Please let me know your thoughts about my chances to get accepted in either Southern California or Las Vegas?

I am planning to apply for this upcoming cycle:

Undergrad and Grad: California State University, Northridge
Major Bachelor: Political Science
Major Masters: Political Science
Bachelor GPA: 3.67
Masters GPA: 3.81
Pre-Req GPA and Science:
Overall GPA: 3.8ish
GRE Scores: Q-149 V-160 AW-3.5
Hours: 200 outpatient, Planning to do 60 -100 inpatient
LOR: 1 PT, 2 professors,

Planning to Apply: CSUN, Chapman, West Coast University, Mount Saint Mary, UNLV, Touro (NV), Azuza Pacific, Western University, Long Beach

I understand my quant score is not very great- I was having an off day. Unfortunately, I can't re-do the GRE for this period, as I might be very busy finishing my observation hours. But, please let me know what do you think of my chances to get accepted to any of these schools?

Last edited:

lakerfan824

2+ Year Member
May 9, 2017
Undergrad: California State University, Northridge
Major: Communications
Overall GPA: 3.6
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Post-Bac GPA: 3.95
GRE Scores: Q-156 V-162 AW-4.5
Hours: 2,000+ outpatient working as a PT aide
LOR: 1 PT, 1 professor, 1 employer

Applied: USC, CSUN, Chapman, West Coast University, Mayo Clinic, Baylor University Hybrid

Interviews: Mayo Clinic (Declined), Baylor U Hybrid, West Coast U

Acceptances: USC, CSUN, Chapman, West Coast U

Rejections: Baylor Hybrid

Waitlist: CSUN (#31)

Attending: CSUN
Have you rejected your acceptance to West Coast already since you're attending CSUN?

drkobebryant

5+ Year Member
Mar 12, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Currently a Junior in undergrad
Major:
Exercise Science
Minor: Integrative Health
Overall GPA: 3.4281
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2

Volunteer/Observation hours: Over 400 hours as pt aide from 3 outpatient clinics,

Extra Curriculars/Experiences: Strength&Conditioning internship, PT internship, Pre-Health Club, Holistic Health Club Vice President, Habitat for Humanity, Nursing Club, Emerging Leaders, Gaming Club, Anime Club, CPR/First Aid certified, Deans list, Kappa Omicron Nu National Honor Society, Lambda Phi Chi fraternity, Varsity football, track, lacrosse, United States Powerlifting Association Member, Infinity MMA, Ocean Cleanup Crew.

can someone please tell me if these are good enough to get into school. I'm obviously not applying with this gpa bc im a junior but am I at least on a good standing?
I don't think Gaming Club, Anime Club is beneficial to your resume... I'd also remove your high school ECs... eliminate all the useless fluff because you're clearly trying to pad your resume'.

Also this thread is a "What are my chances" threat so it's more geared to students in the application process. I would focus my energy on studying for the GRE because that's the number 1 reason why students don't get accepted. Study for GRE now if you want to be on time for applications.

Mar 26, 2019
Has anyone heard from University of St. Augustine (St. Augustine Campus) for the Fall 2019 start date? I applied late and haven't heard anything yet, I know slots can fill up fast and I am praying I did not miss my chance.

Feb 6, 2019
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Undergrad: California State University, Northridge
Major: Communications
Overall GPA: 3.6
Pre-Req GPA: 4.0
Post-Bac GPA: 3.95
GRE Scores: Q-156 V-162 AW-4.5
Hours: 2,000+ outpatient working as a PT aide
LOR: 1 PT, 1 professor, 1 employer

Applied: USC, CSUN, Chapman, West Coast University, Mayo Clinic, Baylor University Hybrid

Interviews: Mayo Clinic (Declined), Baylor U Hybrid, West Coast U

Acceptances: USC, CSUN, Chapman, West Coast U

Rejections: Baylor Hybrid

Waitlist: CSUN (#31)

Attending: CSUN
Very surprised to see Baylor hybrid as a rejection. Did they give indication why? If you don't mind me asking

Jan 25, 2019
Minnesota
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Excited to say I have been accepted into my first program as of yesterday. I know there are many posts like this, but hoping to show that you don't need to work "traditional" pre-PT jobs to still gain acceptance

Undergrad: University of Minnesota, Minneapolis (graduating in May)
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.65
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1-3.3 (depending on school) I know this was really low, and probs what made many schools say no
GRE Scores: Q-151 V-152 AW-4.5
Hours: 145, inpatient pediatrics, outpatient rural, outpatient orthopedics, school-based
LOR: 1 PT, 1 professor/director of research lab, and a professor who also directed the U of M marching band
Extra curriculars: 2,000 hours due to marching band and athletic bands (think this really helped), one semester of research experience, personal training internship for field work, worked as a PCA for a year, worked as a waitress for 2 summers during undergrad
Applied: U of MN, St. Scholastica, St. Kates, U South Dakota, U Mary (ND), UJamestown (ND), WI-LaCrosse, Rosalind Franklin
Interviews: Rosalind Franklin, UMary, UJamestown --> most schools didn't require an interview
Rejections: Rosalind Franklin, U South Dakota, WI-LaCrosse
Waitlist: U of MN, St. Scholastica, St. Kates, U Mary
Acceptances: U Jamestown:):) Will be attending unless I get pulled off the waitlist at St. Scholastica (1st choice)
Honestly, I applied this cycle pretty blind, with a low prerec GPA, and wasn't sure my chances of getting in. I spent lots of time perfecting my essays, and I think my enormous amount of extracurricular hours via marching band on top of a full course load really helped my application. I also did better at schools that interviewed, so I think being able to make my case of "Why PT" in person also helped.

MonsieurTarzan

5+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2013
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Anxiety and humiliation are the order of day when it comes to applying to PT school. What a degrading, divisive process. These forums just prove the truth of my assessment. You have some people showboating their 3.9 GPA, others desperately seeking encouragement with a 3.1, just about all of whom could make excellent PTs given the chance. Then you have the Lords on High, the almighty Admissions Committees, using their supreme powers of discernment to separate the people with virtually identical odds of success based on a couple tenths of a GPA point or a slight feeling one way or the other about an essay. Then, to top it all off, if you don't get in they'll tell you to reapply, just to show them that you really, really want it and you're not a quitter. What a phony scum pit.

Last edited:
Reactions: OTMiami
Nov 7, 2018
Anxiety and humiliation are the order of day when it comes to applying to PT school. What a degrading, divisive process. These forums just prove the truth of my assessment. You have some people showboating their 3.9 GPA, others desperately seeking encouragement with a 3.1, just about all of whom could make excellent PTs given the chance. Then you have the Lords on High, the almighty Admissions Committees, using their supreme powers of discernment to separate the people with virtually identical odds of success based on a couple tenths of a GPA point or a slight feeling one way or the other about an essay. Then, to top it all off, if you don't get in they'll tell you to reapply, just to show them that you really, really want it and you're not a quitter. What a phony scum pit.
It certainly isn't a perfect system, but how would you change it?

May 2, 2019
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Undergrad: University of Kentucky
Major: Kinesiology
Overall GPA: 3.73
Pre-Req GPA: 3.52
GRE Scores: V 153 Q 153 AW 3.5
Hours: 500+ outpatient (paid), 100+ combination of outpatient, acute inpatient, peds
LOR: 1 PT, 2 BIO professors, 1 Kinesiology professor

Applied: Kentucky, Western Kentucky, Bellarmine, South College

Interviews: Kentucky, Bellarmine, South College

Rejections: Western Kentucky

Waitlisted: Kentucky, Bellarmine

Acceptances: Kentucky, South College

Attending Kentucky in the Fall!

Apr 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Final update

Undergrad: University of Massachusetts Lowell
Major: Exercise Physiology
Overall GPA: 3.31
Pre-Req GPA: 3.22-3.3 depending on school
Post-Bac GPA: 3.7
GRE Scores: Q 148 V 147 AW 4.0 (Best of 2)
Hours: 1,500+ outpatient as an PT aide on Air Force Base
LOR: 1 PT, Owner of Air Force Base PT clinic, 2 professors

Applied: Baylor U Hybrid, South College, UNE, U of Mary, Franklin Pierce (NH), Western U, High Point U, Wheeling Jesuit, Dominican College, Plymouth State, Husson U, MCPHS, West Coast U, University of St. Augustine, D'Youville College, RMUoHP

Acceptances: Plymouth State University (2/1), Wheeling Jesuit University (Declined), Franklin Pierce University (4/16)

Interviews: Wheeling Jesuit 11/9, Dominican College 12/7, University of Mary (Declined), High Point U (Declined), UNE (Declined), Plymouth State (2/1), Marist College (Declined), MCPHS (declined), South College (Declined), University of St. Augustine (Declined)

Rejections: Baylor University, RMUoHP, Dominican
College, Western U, West Coast U, D’Youville

Waitlist: Wheeling Jesuit (#19), Franklin Pierce

Thank you guys for all the help in my last 2 years of applying
Hey first of all congratulations on getting in to school that's awesome. I am in almost an identical situation as you were entering this cycle and this next cycle is my second year applying. Would you mind if I sent you a private message for a question or 2?

Feb 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Hey first of all congratulations on getting in to school that's awesome. I am in almost an identical situation as you were entering this cycle and this next cycle is my second year applying. Would you mind if I sent you a private message for a question or 2?
When did you apply? Has everything been passed along, as in did you have your phone counseling interview?

Sep 18, 2017
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
No problem at all you can send me a message!

Mar 4, 2019
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Has anyone heard back from Touro (Nevada) campus or Chatham University who is on the wailist?

BYoo

Pre-PT Mentor
May 15, 2019
Texas
Status
Physical Therapy Student
Undergrad: Texas A&M University
Major: Kinesiology - Motor Behavior
Overall GPA: 3.43
Pre-Req GPA: 3.78
Post-Bac GPA: 4.0
GRE Scores: Q-152 V-154 AW-3.5
Hours: 1600+ Outpatient, 100+ Inpatient
LOR: 3 PT, 1 Professor

Applied: UTHSCSA, UTEP, TWU, UNT, TTUHSC

Interviews: UTHSCSA, TTUHSC

Acceptances: UTHSCSA, TTUHSC

Rejections: TWU, UNT

Waitlist: UTHSCSA, UTEP

Attending: UTHSCSA

May 19, 2019
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Hi all! I just finished up my senior year, and I’m planning to apply early decision to University of Maryland - Baltimore this upcoming cycle. I wanted to share my stats before the application opens in July for any feedback or tips.

University: Johns Hopkins University
Major: Public Health Studies
Overall GPA: 3.46
Pre-Req GPA: 3.56
GRE: 162 V, 162 Q, 5.5 AW

Extracurriculars: DI NCAA Men’s Lacrosse manager (3 years), sorority president (2 years), Scripps National Spelling Bee production staff (3 years), hospital library volunteer (2 years), health data internship (1 semester), Native American museum internship (1 semester)

Observation hours:
500 outpatient clinic as rehab tech
40 acute shadowing
10 outpatient shadowing
8 sports rehab shadowing

LOR: PT (clinic director where I work as a tech); professor in major; lacrosse coach

Other: Published book chapter on HIV and public health, published medical journal article on diet/nutrition, 510 on MCAT

Applying: University of Maryland - Baltimore (early decision)

I took the MCAT to see how I would do, and I ended up with a pretty good score (top 20%). However, I decided that being a physician was not the right career path for me. I wonder if including it under standardized test scores would help my application at all, at least to make up for my relatively low GPA. My gut feeling is that it would harm my application even though it is a competitive score.

Sep 26, 2018
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Hi all! I just finished up my senior year, and I’m planning to apply early decision to University of Maryland - Baltimore this upcoming cycle. I wanted to share my stats before the application opens in July for any feedback or tips.

University: Johns Hopkins University
Major: Public Health Studies
Overall GPA: 3.46
Pre-Req GPA: 3.56
GRE: 162 V, 162 Q, 5.5 AW

Extracurriculars: DI NCAA Men’s Lacrosse manager (3 years), sorority president (2 years), Scripps National Spelling Bee production staff (3 years), hospital library volunteer (2 years), health data internship (1 semester), Native American museum internship (1 semester)

Observation hours:
500 outpatient clinic as rehab tech
40 acute shadowing
10 outpatient shadowing
8 sports rehab shadowing

LOR: PT (clinic director where I work as a tech); professor in major; lacrosse coach

Other: Published book chapter on HIV and public health, published medical journal article on diet/nutrition, 510 on MCAT

Applying: University of Maryland - Baltimore (early decision)

I took the MCAT to see how I would do, and I ended up with a pretty good score (top 20%). However, I decided that being a physician was not the right career path for me. I wonder if including it under standardized test scores would help my application at all, at least to make up for my relatively low GPA. My gut feeling is that it would harm my application even though it is a competitive score.
Your stats look pretty solid to me, especially that GRE! Your extracurriculars look good too. I think that if you decide to add in that MCAT score, be prepared to answer questions from interviewers regarding why you took it and why you decided to pursue PT instead. Have something good ready because they don't want to see that you chose PT as a "backup" or anything like that. I think if you explain yourself well and have a good reason then it could give you a one up, but at the same time, the MCAT score on there could be questioned by the people initially reviewing your application before you even get to explain yourself. So, I think it would be a good idea to play through each scenario and decide which risk is worth taking. Hope that helps you at all. Good luck applying!! I think you'll do great!!

Reactions: moe-cat
May 30, 2018
Undergrad: Regis College
Major: Exercise Science
Overall GPA: 3.5
Pre-Req GPA: 3.66
GRE Scores: Q-163 V-144 AW-4.0
Extra Curriculars: Varsity Swim Team, Asian American Club, Special Olympics, Volunteer Swim Instructors, Writing Tutor
Hours: 400 outpatient working as a PT aide, 75 at Skilled Nursing Home
LOR: 1 PT, 1 professor, 1 college coach

Applied: Early Decision University of Maryland, Baltimore

Interviews: UMB

Acceptances: UMB

Attending: UMB

If anyone wants to connect or have questions - Instagram @kluong.spt

Nov 11, 2018
University: Western Washington University
Major: Kinesiology (minored in Sport Psychology)
Overall GPA: 3.1ish (Honestly it was pre-calc that wrecked me)
pGPA: 3.3
GRE: Q: 155, V: 149 AW: 4.5
Extra Curriculars: Kinesiology Club, RA for three years, volunteered at the local hospital for a year to get hours, YoungLife College
Hours: ~1300 at the time of application in the fall. 112 hours inpatient neuro rehab, 107 hours outpatient pediatric rehab, 100 hours general orthopedics outpatient, 1000 hours as a full time PT Aide in an orthopedic outpatient clinic
LoR: 1 Kinesiology professor, 2 PTs (both of which I am an aide for), and a former supervisor from my days as an RA

Applied: Bellarmine, U of Wisc - Madison, Kean U, University of St. Augustine - Miami, Nova Southeastern U, Florida International, Franklin Pierce (NH and AZ), AT Still, Marist College, Creighton U, Wheeling Jesuit, High Point, Husson U, and Brenau U

Interviews: Wheeling Jesuit (11/16/18), USA - Miami (2/1/19), and Kean U (Declined)

Waitlists: Nova Southeastern, Creighton, Wheeling Jesuit

Acceptances: Wheeling Jesuit (4/04/19) and University of St. Augustine - Miami (2/13/19)

Rejections: Bellarmine, UW Madison, Kean, Nova Southeastern, Florida Int'l, Franklin Pierce, AT Still, Marist, High Point, Husson, and Brenau

Attending: University of St. Augustine - Miami Fall 2019 (Find me on Instagram @anniebrunson or on Twitter @brunson_annie, lol looking for my cohort! or just DM if you have questions about the process!)

I had a SUPER low GPA to apply with and honestly thought it would never happen, and I even had faculty members at my undergrad institution tell me it would never happen. It took me two cycles to get in and I could not be happier with my outcome. If you are like me, just know that trusting the process is key and wherever you get in is where you are supposed to be!

Reactions: SATXDPT
Apr 5, 2019
Status
Pre-Physical Therapy
Hello all,
I am applying my second time this upcoming cycle and was wondering if anyone knows a good place I can reach out to to have my essays reviewed. Does anyone know of any sites online or anywhere else that offers this kind of help?

Nov 11, 2018
Hello all,
I am applying my second time this upcoming cycle and was wondering if anyone knows a good place I can reach out to to have my essays reviewed. Does anyone know of any sites online or anywhere else that offers this kind of help?
A lot of my pre-PT friends had our professors read their essays. Personally I don't know of any websites, but my mom read all mine and then helped me make changes. It helps to answer the questions (no matter how bizzare sounding) honestly and truthfully.

Nov 26, 2018
I'm actually embarrassed to share this since they are so low, but I'll do it to give others hope and show that they can get in with sub 3.0 GPAs

Overall GPA: 2.76 (College was an interesting time in my life l o l)
Pre-Req GPA:2.93
GRE: 149V, 151M, 3.5 W

Volunteer/Work experience:
PT Aide @ outpatient clinic: 1 year, 500~ hours
Rehab Tech @ Morristown Medical Center: 3 years, 2500~ hours (I honestly think this is what helped me a ton)

LOR: (2) PT's, (1) Director of my schools Biology program

Applied: University of St. Augustine, Emory&Henry College, Kean University, Daemon College,

Accepted: U of St. Augustine (2/13)
Rejected: Emory&Henry
Still waiting on the other two

I was talking to the admissions coordinator to follow up on my acceptance at USA, and they said that I was very strong with my interview (very personable, outgoing, strong responses to questions)

Honestly if you think you'll have trouble with your interview, look up "A New Exercise: How to Succeed at the Interview for a DPT Program".

I swear by this book. It helped me tremendously in formulating my answers to common questions, as well as picking up on certain mannerisms, etc.

On another note, even though my grades weren't the best, I feel that if you really devote yourself to the field, you're bound to find success somewhere.

Good luck to all future DPT students

-Michael

hey did you apply to any other schools?