Greek Mythology WW Game Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

There have been games where the unseerable wolf has an assigned fake identity that gets revealed instead of just a "failed investigation."

Possible as well. But this entire game is about risk. Potential benefit vs potential problem.

LIS definitely has something going on or else he wouldn't have come out this early. I'm personally curious to see what it is.
 
Possible as well. But this entire game is about risk. Potential benefit vs potential problem.

LIS definitely has something going on or else he wouldn't have come out this early. I'm personally curious to see what it is.


I'll drink to that.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Possible as well. But this entire game is about risk. Potential benefit vs potential problem.

LIS definitely has something going on or else he wouldn't have come out this early. I'm personally curious to see what it is.

True, he definitely has something going on but I am a bit afraid that it he is trying to fool us or that there may be something sinister going on. I guess I am just being a bit paranoid already.
 
True, he definitely has something going on but I am a bit afraid that it he is trying to fool us or that there may be something sinister going on. I guess I am just being a bit paranoid already.

Here DVMD, this should help you calm down:
whiskey-pour.gif
 
Whoa...

DVMD, that pic is kind of small. I can't tell what it is?

Also, it's a challenge to find a cool avi without nudity. Darn ancients.
 
Anyway...how many of us here know mythology well? For those of us that don't (especially if we have a seer that doesn't know much and could come across a name that is not recognized, potentially missing a baddie) maybe we should brainstorm who the wolves could be.

My thoughts:

Medusa (or any of the Gorgons)
Enyo (possible but unsure...she was Ares' companion, the goddess of strife)
Would Ares himself be considered bad? Unsure.
the Eryines (Furies)

Maybe just a basic monster cadre?
 
I'll drink to that.

I'll drink to anything.

Thanks for the votes, those who took the plunge. I really can't say more about WHY electing me is beneficial because I don't actually know the precise details. But my role PM was clear that it would be a boon to the villagers.

I welcome investigation, and I presume there will be a minimum of two PMs tonight investigating me. 😛
 
Anyway...how many of us here know mythology well? For those of us that don't (especially if we have a seer that doesn't know much and could come across a name that is not recognized, potentially missing a baddie) maybe we should brainstorm who the wolves could be.

My thoughts:

Medusa (or any of the Gorgons)
Enyo (possible but unsure...she was Ares' companion, the goddess of strife)
Would Ares himself be considered bad? Unsure.
the Eryines (Furies)

Maybe just a basic monster cadre?

Could be the Titans, Hades, etc. Not sure. Guess we'll find out! :scared:
 
Whoa...

DVMD, that pic is kind of small. I can't tell what it is?

Also, it's a challenge to find a cool avi without nudity. Darn ancients.

😛 I had already changed it by the time you posted this. Just had to give me some time.

Anyway...how many of us here know mythology well? For those of us that don't (especially if we have a seer that doesn't know much and could come across a name that is not recognized, potentially missing a baddie) maybe we should brainstorm who the wolves could be.

My thoughts:

Medusa (or any of the Gorgons)
Enyo (possible but unsure...she was Ares' companion, the goddess of strife)
Would Ares himself be considered bad? Unsure.
the Eryines (Furies)

Maybe just a basic monster cadre?

I would agree with the above, not sure about Ares. I would probably consider him to be good, personally, but that is just my opinion. I would also think cyclops, hades, cerberus, basically look up gods/goddess of the underworld and that should give you some ideas. It really depends on how the mods have set the game up though. Poseidon could be bad if you are looking at this from an odyssey view-point. So, if there is any basis on Odyssey or Iliad, then any antagonists from those could be wolves.
 
Anyway...how many of us here know mythology well? For those of us that don't (especially if we have a seer that doesn't know much and could come across a name that is not recognized, potentially missing a baddie) maybe we should brainstorm who the wolves could be.

My thoughts:

Medusa (or any of the Gorgons)
Enyo (possible but unsure...she was Ares' companion, the goddess of strife)
Would Ares himself be considered bad? Unsure.
the Eryines (Furies)

Maybe just a basic monster cadre?


Here are a couple to ad to that list (not sure any/all are Greek):

Cyclops, the Sirens?, Harpies, Titans, Hades, Hydra, Minotaur

Those are just a few bad guys in remember from mythology
 
The Sirens as well maybe? I tell you what, when I've had 1 (or 4 or 10) too many their songs make me wanna go les for a day or two. Just to see, ya know?
 
Here are a couple to ad to that list (not sure any/all are Greek):

Cyclops, the Sirens?, Harpies, Titans, Hades, Hydra, Minotaur

Those are just a few bad guys in remember from mythology

Cheers! We're on the same page!
 
I'm surprised to hear people say Hades. Hades was the god of the underworld, true....but he wasn't exactly "bad' (or at least no more than the other gods..seriously, have you seen some of the horrible things the gods did in mythology??). He stole Persephone, sure. Zeus raped a bunch of women, yet our first instinct would be that Zeus is a good guy, right?

The Greek gods are not nice people, period. I think that will be a key feature of this game. Sort of well, who is truly bad? What does it take to be evil? Are any of the gods actually "evil"?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm surprised to hear people say Hades. Hades was the god of the underworld, true....but he wasn't exactly "bad' (or at least no more than the other gods..seriously, have you seen some of the horrible things the gods did in mythology??). He stole Persephone, sure. Zeus raped a bunch of women, yet our first instinct would be that Zeus is a good guy, right?

The Greek gods are not nice people, period. I think that will be a key feature of this game. Sort of well, who is truly bad? What does it take to be evil? Are any of the gods actually "evil"?

I agree. It is really going to depend upon which angle the mods are going with this. Depending upon the angle they have chosen, there are any number of people who could be good or bad. Will just have to see what information we get and if the mods reveal anything in the write-ups.
 
I'm surprised to hear people say Hades. Hades was the god of the underworld, true....but he wasn't exactly "bad' (or at least no more than the other gods..seriously, have you seen some of the horrible things the gods did in mythology??). He stole Persephone, sure. Zeus raped a bunch of women, yet our first instinct would be that Zeus is a good guy, right?

The Greek gods are not nice people, period. I think that will be a key feature of this game. Sort of well, who is truly bad? What does it take to be evil? Are any of the gods actually "evil"?

Haven't you ever watched the Disney version of Hercules? Hades is clearly BAD news bears. DISNEY IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

I'M A DISNEY PRINCESS I SHOULD KNOW. See my tiny waist, off the shoulder dress, pretty tiara, and ample, perky bust. I'm going to cry if you tell me Disney is wrong.

but also, I might kinda agree with WTF here.
 
Wasn't there lots of monsters in Greek mythology? And isn't it easy to call certain Gods evil or good?
 
Haven't you ever watched the Disney version of Hercules? Hades is clearly BAD news bears. DISNEY IS ALWAYS RIGHT.

I'M A DISNEY PRINCESS I SHOULD KNOW. See my tiny waist, off the shoulder dress, pretty tiara, and ample, perky bust. I'm going to cry if you tell me Disney is wrong.

FH, I wish you were more active in more games. You're making me cry laughing.
 
Wasn't there lots of monsters in Greek mythology? And isn't it easy to call certain Gods evil or good?

Yes to the first, and no to the second. The Greek gods were definitely a mixed bunch. Even the best of them did naughty things. Show the gods respect? They're nice to you. Be a dick to the gods? They'll blow you away.

The gods had no problem manipulating humans for their own amusement and all exhibited some degree of corruption.
 
Sometimes being a scientist has it's perks... 90 proof yo!
rsz_photo_1.jpg


Yes- I did just take this picture at work, just for this thread... You're welcome.
 
FH, I wish you were more active in more games. You're making me cry laughing.

Don't cry LIS. I loooooooooooooooooveeeeeeeeeeeeee you. Smile. Be happy. I loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee everyone on SDN. SDN is the best guys. Hugs all around!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Guess who's going to see Kenny Chesney tonight.......

DISNEY PRINCESS NO. 1- that's whooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

So if I'm not around, you know why.

Also, I'm just going to leave this here.
anigif_enhanced-buzz-11394-1369332487-17.gif


I aspire to be that girl.
 
Buut, didn't Hades have control of the titans which are BAD ?

I haven't ruled out completely that Hades can be bad. But all the other gods have done bad stuff too. He helped his brothers defeat the Titans.

As a note - Prometheus was a Titan and wasn't a bad guy, although he was punished horribly for what he did to help humans.

Are the Titans really considered bad? I know more Norse mythology than I know Greek, but I didn't think the Titans were evil per se?

Or maybe the "evil" people in this game are the Titans trying to win back Olympus? Dunno.
 
I'm starting to think FH was given a minimum number of posts per round requirement. 🙂

Holy FH posts.... how am I supposed to give you ****e if you are posting all the time FH?! 😛


Just got back from a full day of random BS....

I don't know much about Greek mythology and seems I need to do some reading up for this game from all the posts I have just read....
 
Holy FH posts.... how am I supposed to give you ****e if you are posting all the time FH?! 😛


Just got back from a full day of random BS....

I don't know much about Greek mythology and seems I need to do some reading up for this game from all the posts I have just read....

Ohhhh whiskey. I lurve you tooooo
 
The new trend (for better or worse, sometimes a good ole classic based game is good) is to have more than 2 competing groups, including what is amounting to two or more groups of wolves. from the intro, we can be pretty sure there are Gods, Demigods, Titans, Heroes.

While I agree that some of the mythical beasts, (Medusa, Chimera, etc) will likely show up in the game, I don't think they will be the primary wolves, or if they are, there will be a god/demigod that is their boss. They are more likely to be chaotic in nature IMO.

Is this the titans vs olympians? Where would the heroes fit in (Hercules, Achilles, Jason, Odysseus, Oedipus, etc)? Are they another individual group with their own win condition?

We are assuming (rightfully) that the Olympians are the good guys, but we could also have some of the power struggle within the Olympians. I'm not sold on Hades being evil (and no, he has no tie to the Titan's except that he was a son of two of them, but he never ruled over them, famously battled against them in the Battle of the Titans)...

Can we be seeing Ares trying to overthrow Zeus?

Ugh, such a great topic, but also so convoluted...
 
Just a PSA, Hercules is Roman. Heracles is the Greek. Disney got that wrong. I mean I'm a huge Disney fan.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Official Election Tally:


Alors (4): alors, Allie, DVM, swings

LIS (21) : LIS, WS, GUH, rojo, devyn, Orca, SOV, FH, Phil, FFM, Kaydubs, wld, lupin, dyachei, Nstarz, Cuit, Escalla, tigerlily, WTF, krist, tropicaltoucan

Emiloo (4) : Emiloo, Kpowell, Jam, kismet

Votes Cast: 29/31
Waffles: 0

Day 1 closes at 8pm EST ...still waiting for 3 votes. We have a clear front runner....but you all are welcome to waffle (in fact we LOVE waffles).

Looks like we are gonna have a long night cycle ending in the morning, and then get set for lynches all day tomorrow. Still waiting on quite a few night PMs, so please send them in!

******ALSO******
If you are silenced during this game, there will be NO posting in the sign ups thread. Post 100 times in other threads...whatevs, but not the sign-ups. Please and Thank You.

Carry on.:=|:-):
 
Last edited: