docdew

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hi all,

I wanted to get some feedback on what my chances might be at Harvard Dental School. I figured I'd just be specific to one school, since there are so many posts on SDN about admission chances in general.

Stats:
I have a 25AA, 24TS and 24PAT; a 3.58 GPA including both my BA in Biology and my MS in Health Systems Engineering - both degrees from Binghamton University. My extracurricular are solid, diverse experiences. I also hear that Harvard in general tends to prefer applicants with a different story, and without going into detail here, I believe I fulfill that criterion as well (you'll just have to take my word for it on that one!)

Anyway, based on this info, would anyone mind providing me with some sort of relative estimation of what my chances might be at Harvard?

Thanks and much appreciated!!

Last edited:

Samin23

2+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Dat scores are fantastic, but your GPA is on the low end for Harvard (great for other schools though). Their average acceptance GPA is around a 3.8, if I remember correctly.

docdew

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Dat scores are fantastic, but your GPA is on the low end for Harvard (great for other schools though). Their average acceptance GPA is around a 3.8, if I remember correctly.

Hey, thanks @Samin23 for the response! And yeah, I think my gpa is a bit lower than their average, however my DAT scores are a bit higher than their average. Plus I have a masters. So maybe those two things will compensate? That's kind of what I'm trying to find out :)

About the Ads

8_man

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
2+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Hey, thanks @Samin23 for the response! And yeah, I think my gpa is a bit lower than their average, however my DAT scores are a bit higher than their average. Plus I have a masters. So maybe those two things will compensate? That's kind of what I'm trying to find out :)

Only one way to find out. I think you have a good chance at landing an interview, at the very least.

Reactions: 1 user

acesofseven

5+ Year Member
Aug 27, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
From what I've seen on SDN, GPA is the absolute king when it comes to your application and I don't think having a Masters is going to compensate for it.

Reactions: 1 users

docdew

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
From what I've seen on SDN, GPA is the absolute king when it comes to your application and I don't think having a Masters is going to compensate for it.
Really? More important than dat score? From what I've seen and heard, I do find that very hard to believe. I may be wrong, but I'm definitely under the impression that DAT is king. @acesofseven

Likkriue

5+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2016
New York City
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Feralis extremum got turned down with a 28 dat and a higher gpa. What the poster above said is true. They like to keep their gpa hovering around 3.8+. They do take a few lower gpas but with a class of 35(?), that means very very few. I don't think they care about dat scores as much as your gpa.

Also they are research heavy.

docdew

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Damn. I guess so then. It just strange that any school would put such a focus on gpa when gpa is totally nonstandardized and highly variable. Logically, it just doesn't make sense. But it appears that that's what they do. Weird.

touch my TATA Box

Membership Revoked
Removed
Jun 2, 2016
Damn. I guess so then. It just strange that any school would put such a focus on gpa when gpa is totally nonstandardized and highly variable. Logically, it just doesn't make sense. But it appears that that's what they do. Weird.
Strong cope.

super frank

5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2014
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I think Harvard rarely deviates from the higher GPA folks. I still applied anyway.

LuckBloodandSweat

2+ Year Member
May 26, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Harvard is too cray. They want to create some crazy master race with 3.9 GPAs and 24+ DATs. That being said your app is amazing :)

docdew

2+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
It means you're managing with the reality that your GPA is too low for Harvard by saying it "doesn't make sense." Lol
I was just saying in general that it doesn't make sense. Not specifically Harvard. I just find it strange that any institution would rely so heavily on a non standardized and highly variable metric. All I'm saying.

JLT223

DMD
5+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2015
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
  2. Dentist
If you're not interested in academia/research don't even apply.

8_man

Achievement Unlocked: Dental School
2+ Year Member
Jul 22, 2016
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Feralis extremum got turned down with a 28 dat and a higher gpa. What the poster above said is true. They like to keep their gpa hovering around 3.8+. They do take a few lower gpas but with a class of 35(?), that means very very few. I don't think they care about dat scores as much as your gpa.

Also they are research heavy.

That's crazy, he was probably the #1 DAT score in the nation that year.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.