This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Itsnotludwigs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I wanted to get some feedback on what my chances might be at Harvard Dental School. I figured I'd just be specific to one school, since there are so many posts on SDN about admission chances in general.

Stats:
I have a 25AA, 24TS and 24PAT; a 3.58 GPA including both my BA in Biology and my MS in Health Systems Engineering - both degrees from Binghamton University. My extracurricular are solid, diverse experiences. I also hear that Harvard in general tends to prefer applicants with a different story, and without going into detail here, I believe I fulfill that criterion as well (you'll just have to take my word for it on that one!)

Anyway, based on this info, would anyone mind providing me with some sort of relative estimation of what my chances might be at Harvard?

Thanks and much appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Dat scores are fantastic, but your GPA is on the low end for Harvard (great for other schools though). Their average acceptance GPA is around a 3.8, if I remember correctly.

Dat scores are fantastic, but your GPA is on the low end for Harvard (great for other schools though). Their average acceptance GPA is around a 3.8, if I remember correctly.

Hey, thanks @Samin23 for the response! And yeah, I think my gpa is a bit lower than their average, however my DAT scores are a bit higher than their average. Plus I have a masters. So maybe those two things will compensate? That's kind of what I'm trying to find out :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks @Samin23 for the response! And yeah, I think my gpa is a bit lower than their average, however my DAT scores are a bit higher than their average. Plus I have a masters. So maybe those two things will compensate? That's kind of what I'm trying to find out :)

Only one way to find out. I think you have a good chance at landing an interview, at the very least.

Reactions: 1 user
From what I've seen on SDN, GPA is the absolute king when it comes to your application and I don't think having a Masters is going to compensate for it.

Reactions: 1 users
From what I've seen on SDN, GPA is the absolute king when it comes to your application and I don't think having a Masters is going to compensate for it.
Really? More important than dat score? From what I've seen and heard, I do find that very hard to believe. I may be wrong, but I'm definitely under the impression that DAT is king. @acesofseven

Feralis extremum got turned down with a 28 dat and a higher gpa. What the poster above said is true. They like to keep their gpa hovering around 3.8+. They do take a few lower gpas but with a class of 35(?), that means very very few. I don't think they care about dat scores as much as your gpa.

Also they are research heavy.

Damn. I guess so then. It just strange that any school would put such a focus on gpa when gpa is totally nonstandardized and highly variable. Logically, it just doesn't make sense. But it appears that that's what they do. Weird.

Damn. I guess so then. It just strange that any school would put such a focus on gpa when gpa is totally nonstandardized and highly variable. Logically, it just doesn't make sense. But it appears that that's what they do. Weird.
Strong cope.

I think Harvard rarely deviates from the higher GPA folks. I still applied anyway.

Yeh totally strong cope. I totally get what you mean by that. Makes perfect sense now. Haha
It means you're managing with the reality that your GPA is too low for Harvard by saying it "doesn't make sense." Lol

Harvard is too cray. They want to create some crazy master race with 3.9 GPAs and 24+ DATs. That being said your app is amazing :)

It means you're managing with the reality that your GPA is too low for Harvard by saying it "doesn't make sense." Lol
I was just saying in general that it doesn't make sense. Not specifically Harvard. I just find it strange that any institution would rely so heavily on a non standardized and highly variable metric. All I'm saying.

If you're not interested in academia/research don't even apply.

When you only take ~30, you can take the 4.0, 30s, who have it all...

Me applying to Harvard reminds me of that rant Jonah Hill made in Superbad. "We could be that mistake!"

Reactions: 2 users
Feralis extremum got turned down with a 28 dat and a higher gpa. What the poster above said is true. They like to keep their gpa hovering around 3.8+. They do take a few lower gpas but with a class of 35(?), that means very very few. I don't think they care about dat scores as much as your gpa.

Also they are research heavy.

That's crazy, he was probably the #1 DAT score in the nation that year.

Remember schools are very interested in what they report as their mean accepted GPA/DAT. Schools like Harvard are very interested in maintaining the status quo.