This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

barelyteething

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have an extremely difficult decision to make. I got into multiple schools, which I am grateful for, and have narrowed it down to three. But I have to pay out-of-state tuition for all my schools since my state does not have a dental school (woohoo-- oos life). My top choice was originally Washington, but the cost is so high. No scholarship- nothing.

However, I also got into Houston and UMKC which both offered me instate tuition.
Houston offered me an additional scholarship for 3k and umkc offered me an additional scholarship for 15k. Both of the scholarships can be earned again if I get into the top third of the class each year.

I first chose Houston because of the scholarship, but then UMKC offered me a comparable scholarship. I am still holding out for a scholarship from Washington which is unlikely. I just want to minimize my debt and learn as much as I can. I am planning to specialize, but there will also be a chance I won't.

Can anyone PLEASE help me by telling me the Pros and Cons of the schools, what they would choose, etc. etc. anything will help!
 
How did your overall experience go with UMKC? They clearly have offered you the most scholarship money.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Houston. UMKC and Washington are going through some things right now that wouldn’t make me totally comfortable.

I know Washington recently had all these budget deficit issues with the dean also resigning so my recommendation would be to choose one of the other schools on your list. I had toured the facilities awhile back at U of W and alot of their equipment/clinic seems really old and outdated, not sure if it has changed in the recent years.
 
Houston. UMKC and Washington are going through some things right now that wouldn’t make me totally comfortable.
Yeah, I’ve heard they were going through some transitions from my sister, but I’m not certain what that was. Just unconfirmed rumors.
 
I know Washington recently had all these budget deficit issues with the dean also resigning so my recommendation would be to choose one of the other schools on your list. I had toured the facilities awhile back at U of W and alot of their equipment/clinic seems really old and outdated, not sure if it has changed in the recent years.

I’m glad I’m not the only one who thought this! For the price, the school is not very new! I’m curious where all their money goes to. I wasn’t wowed by anything when I got there, all I know is they’re a top ranked school
 
In regards to the rumors, I’ve heard it’s a lot of administrative issues... I’m currently looking at UMKC and am hesitant due to them. Do you mind me asking what you didn’t like about the clinic?

I LOVED WES. He was amazing and sold the school, honestly. I heard rumors that they were increasing their load/requirements, but students and faculty are afraid the students will not meet the requirements to graduate. I hate that it is a dungeon. The interview was nice because they allowed us to shadow a student working. I didn't get to see much of what they did though, my student was having difficulty with her equipment. The clinic, from what I saw, runs well enough for students to get the experience they need. It just feels very confining to me personally.