Help from DVM or DVM's to be... need advice PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just be humble hahahaha because you are of course thats right XD this is getting to funny, funny to the point where i come to realize it's pointless to argue with someone like you on here. Take care buddy and learn to be humble yourself just because you are or are studying to be does not give you the right to treat others like this

I treated you like what? Actually, I was quite cordial with you on this thread. If you interpret that as being attacked, I'm not really sure how to rectify that. Disagreement and debate are where you can learn, especially from people who have more experience with the field and business model than you do. Being inexperienced or naive isn't an insult, it's just a state of being. You only get over that by listening and learning rather than doubling down and becoming defensive when someone corrects you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
@Pet24, I'm only a pre-vet and even I've noticed you're getting way too worked up about this. Everyone's just giving you an honest outlook of this field. That's all.

I don't care who you are no one is talking to you and we don't need more integrants to this conflict. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
I treated you like what? Actually, I was quite cordial with you on this thread. If you interpret that as being attacked, I'm not really sure how to rectify that. Disagreement and debate are where you can learn, especially from people who have more experience with the field and business model than you do. Being inexperienced or naive isn't an insult, it's just a state of being. You only get over that by listening and learning rather than doubling down and becoming defensive when someone corrects you.

There was no correction and this is no doubling down it's standing up to letting someone think they have the right to respond like this to a simple question just because they know more than me. You guys just get uncomfortable when someone doesnt just sit there and be ok with you guys being this way. Either way im done with this, this is not a place I want to spend my day arguing with people about something so ridiculous.

Yes I took a look at that. It's sad to know that you can't runaway from people like this, not even in a forum where you are supposed to be dealing with professionals. And no need to be met with ridiculous infractions. I no longer have interest in this place I see what kind of people there are on here and I don't want to be part of such negative comments or arguments. I don't see anyone in their right mind thinking its ok to act like this to a person new to this forum or in any place in life. Thinking they are above them just because they assume that they have lower experience. I know who I am and no matter what I would never treat anyone like **** just like you guys did so I definitely realize this place is not for me. I don't want to have any connection to these people and I know not everyone on this forum is like that I know there might have been thousands and thousands of people who can help me on here but sadly the few on here that act like this drive some away.
My advice is to take 3 deep breaths, and walk away from your computer. Or close this forum and do some research on your own into the different costs of various schools (both community college, undergraduate, and veterinary schools). See what courses you'll need for the veterinary schools you're interested in (the pre-requisite classwork) and do some research into whether or not those schools will accept community college coursework or if they must be from a 4 year university. Make lists. Cross check the vet schools you're interested in with the pre-reqs you need to take and where you can take them on your list of local community colleges. You'll likely have until spring semester to start anything (unless you find an online course with rolling enrollment) so you have time to sort it out.

Figure out your education plan and work on it. If you need to move somewhere to get in state residency for that vet school, plan that and do it sooner rather than later. You will thank yourself later for the decreased debt.

Finally, if you happen to continue with this path, and do manage to open your own vet clinic someday, I hope you come back to this forum and reread this thread with a more open mind, with the knowledge you'll have gained going through vet school and opening and running your own clinic. You'll realize that we aren't saying these things to be mean, or because we were "triggered". We're saying these things because we are incredibly protective of each other in this field. We know we have high suicide rates. We know we have ridiculously high debt. And we will not tolerate one of "our own" (which is what you become once you start posting on this forum) attacking the rest of our profession or our colleagues in the same way we've been attacked over and over again by being called "money grubbing animal-haters." Probably you didn't intend to come off that way, but the way you phrased your post (as LetItSnow pointed out) that is how it read. And we want to help you, but not if you are going to be part of the problem instead of the solution to the many problems in our profession. The only person not acting like a professional or an adult in this thread is you. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but really in reading this thread not one poster appears angry or over emotional or "triggered" other than yourself.

Reactions: 13 users
Well then. Godspeed Felicia .

Godspeed felicia??? oh lord who am I dealing with on here?
Thanks bud you give me a great insight of the kind of people I am dealing with on here :S good luck with your triggered group

Thanks bud you give me a great insight of the kind of people I am dealing with on here :S good luck with your triggered group
This is not the response of a rational adult ;)

(this is a joke, meant to lighten the mood)

Reactions: 3 users

tenor.gif

Reactions: 2 users
My advice is to take 3 deep breaths, and walk away from your computer. Or close this forum and do some research on your own into the different costs of various schools (both community college, undergraduate, and veterinary schools). See what courses you'll need for the veterinary schools you're interested in (the pre-requisite classwork) and do some research into whether or not those schools will accept community college coursework or if they must be from a 4 year university. Make lists. Cross check the vet schools your interested in with the pre-reqs you need to take and where you can take them on your list of local community colleges. You'll likely have until spring semester to start anything (unless you find an online course with rolling enrollment) so you have time to sort it out.

Figure out your education plan and work on it. If you need to move somewhere to get in state residency for that vet school, plan that and do it sooner rather than later. You will thank yourself later for the decreased debt.

Finally, if you happen to continue with this path, and do manage to open your own vet clinic someday, I hope you come back to this forum and reread this thread with a more open mind, with the knowledge you'll have gained going through vet school and opening and running your own clinic. You'll realize that we aren't saying these things to be mean, or because we were "triggered". We're saying these things because we are incredibly protective of each other in this field. We know we have high suicide rates. We know we have ridiculously high debt. And we will not tolerate one of "our own" (which is what you become once you start posting on this forum) attacking the rest of our profession or our colleagues in the same way we've been attacked over and over again by being called "money grubbing animal-haters." Probably you didn't intend to come off that way, but the way you phrased your post (as LetItSnow pointed out) that is how it read. And we want to help you, but not if you are going to be part of the problem instead of the solution to the many problems in our profession. The only person not acting like a professional or an adult in this thread is you. Sorry if that's not what you want to hear, but really in reading this thread not one poster appears angry or over emotional or "triggered" other than yourself.

good laugh reading this thanks :D good way to close this thread and move on. Showing this to my co workers at the hospital and like I said no one in there right mind thinks this is the right way to treat someone. Like the doctor said just a bunch of frustrated people. Glad to have real people by my side.

good laugh reading this thanks :D good way to close this thread and move on. Showing this to my co workers at the hospital and like I said no one in there right mind thinks this is the right way to treat someone. Like the doctor said just a bunch of frustrated people. Glad to have real people by my side.

*their right mind

Reactions: 3 users
Leg work for me Oh yes can you apply for some scholarships for me? and hmm lets see umm talk to my counselor? be serious please just because you were 12 and found out what to do gives you know right to use that as a way of saying I should know by now. I just came here and asked a simple question you didn't have to answer it or even care about it. Or you could've just use said "You can do it, it really is as simple as look up prereqs go to undergrad, obtain them." as an answer and that would have been waaaaaay more useful than all this arguing.

I did say just that at the start, you didn't like it. Go look at my first post.

Also no right, not know right

Members don't see this ad :)
Stop acting like you're so much better than her, DVMD. Stop treating people like that.

*yawn* I know you guys would love to sit in front of your computers and rant all day about this and go around and around the same argument. Good luck and hope someone new comes around soon for you guys to distract yourselves again XD

*yawn* I know you guys would love to sit in front of your computers and rant all day about this and go around and around the same argument. Good luck and hope someone new comes around soon for you guys to distract yourselves again XD
I hope you did show the actual doctors all of this. I doubt any would think your behavior here befits someone entering the profession.

Reactions: 14 users
:whoa:

:troll:

(dont delete the thread yet, mods, I need a chance to read this completely when my tests finish next week. I saw this thread had dy+ dvmd+ lis + wtf and I got excited. I’m ready for the sass.)

Reactions: 5 users

(dont delete the thread yet, mods, I need a chance to read this completely when my tests finish next week. I saw this thread had dy+ dvmd+ lis + wtf and I got excited. I’m ready for the sass.)
:laugh: When I saw 70 replies in 24 hours, I knew something good was going down

Reactions: 8 users
P.S. The whole "triggered/triggering" thing is stupid.
At one point it was a legitimate 'warning' term to others who may be rather sensitive to certain situations/images or whatever. Now it's turned into a way to insult someone who you've clearly/intentionally disrespected or upset.

Reactions: 1 users
At one point it was a legitimate 'warning' term to others who may be rather sensitive to certain situations/images or whatever. Now it's turned into a way to insult someone who you've clearly/intentionally disrespected or upset.

Yup. That's fine. Totally legitimate opinion.

But I'm going to go with the "we never needed it when I was a kid and people did just fine" for my opinion. Life isn't mean to be bubble-wrapped.

Can you actually stop making fun of people with mental health problems though? That is what I find most insulting about this entire thread. It's really not cool to make fun of people with PTSD and it's really really old.

We have sass coming out of our.....

Fingertips.

Yes, fingertips.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I still can't get over how the OP is insulted when much more experienced people offer blunt advice, but yet he/she - with absolutely zero contextual experience - feels perfectly comfortable "improving" the vets for whom he/she works.

So much irony there. These are the best threads.

Reactions: 6 users

Or you can be me and read this entire thread with your notes open but ignored. All in due time, amiright?

Reactions: 4 users
YOUR FACE IS BUBBLE WRAP!

(If we're gonna be called children, might as well roll with it.)

I'll respond how my sister did to a kid bothering her back in kindergarten.....

"If you don't leave me alone, I'm going to shove this pencil up your winkie!!!"

I still can't get over how the OP is insulted when much more experienced people offer blunt advice, but yet he/she - with absolutely zero contextual experience - feels perfectly comfortable "improving" the vets for whom he/she works.

So much irony there. These are the best threads.

I love these threads kind of therapeutic while dealing with **** hitting the fan at work. I mean I'm a horrid money grubbing vet doing wound repair in this dog today, telling an owner her neurologic dog really needs to go to ER, telling another owner her dog might have cancer, euthanizing two dogs, finding an incidental splenic tumor and choelethiasis in another dog and having the 500 questions from the owner of the dog with blood from its penis.

These threads are comical when dealing with so much BS. And a bit discouraging that someone supposedly in the field can really think we put up with all this BS and try to make "extra money" somehow or that we don't deserve to be paid to deal with all of this because an owner can't afford it.

Reactions: 1 user
But I'm going to go with the "we never needed it when I was a kid and people did just fine" for my opinion. Life isn't mean to be bubble-wrapped.

While a lot of the "trigger warning" discourse has descended down a slippery slope into nonsense, they do serve a real purpose when used as they were originally conceptualized. They aren't about bubble-wrapping life, but are a tool for providing reasonable accommodation to students with mental health related disabilities.

A nice article came out a few days ago about this that I think is worth a look: Mason Central Authentication Service ("Not So Scary: Using and Defusing Content Warnings in the Classroom")

Tl;DR version (which is still kind of long... sorry):

Content warnings should be used as a form of disability accommodation for people with PTSD or related trauma-induced mental health issues: they are a way to facilitate access to material, student engagement, and the discussion of difficult topics.

Ordinary language does not distinguish between desirable affective engagement with course material and paralyzing trauma responses on the other [eg panic attacks, etc] — both are often described as “being triggered.” Content warnings should aim to prevent only disabling trauma responses, not all strong emotional reactions. They should be the beginning rather than the end of a conversation.

Content warnings should be separated from broader conversations about freedom of speech and safe spaces. They are not a censorship tool nor a way to address systemic injustices, and need to be separated from that.

Anecdotally, the author has students self-report their own need for content warnings [request rate is about 10%] and provides those warnings only to students who need them as a reasonable accommodation. Most are related to graphic descriptions of rape and sexual assault and are requested by survivors of such trauma.

Warnings empower such students to make their own decisions about how they can most effectively access class material and serve the same purpose as, say, providing a note-taker for a hearing impaired student. Ultimately the goal of content warnings is to minimize the disorder's impact on a student's learning experience.

While a lot of the "trigger warning" discourse has descended down a slippery slope into nonsense, they do serve a real purpose when used as they were originally conceptualized. They aren't about bubble-wrapping life, but are a tool for providing reasonable accommodation to students with mental health related disabilities.

Sorry, Britzen: I can see it's near and dear to your heart, but I just am not buying it. Perhaps the original intent was good, but it has not worked out in practice. There is a time for accommodation and a time for people being responsible for their own limitations, and I think "trigger" language is too far down the accommodation path. Once it starts infringing on freedom of speech - it's gone too far.

I guess I just don't agree with the notion that everyone deserves equal access to everything and that accommodations should be made at all costs to ensure it. Or, put differently, I think you and I would disagree on what defines "reasonable" accommodations. I'm all in favor of reasonable accommodations. But once accommodations start restricting the non-impacted students; then they have progressed too far. And "trigger warnings" have certainly done that.

Time to toss that particular tool out and find a better solution.

I have been reading a lot because i knew something was wrong here and it did not make sense for people to be so aggressive towards some simple comment made on a thread. I came to realize now that in my OPINION you guys don't like what you do or life has lead you to realize this is not the right profession for you. You hate what clients say and what clients do and the situations they bring. You complain about many things and in the end if you were given the chance to switch to any other career you would and I completely understand that. I am a person that tries to understand people like you so i know how to deal with people like this in my life. I understand you guys feel depressed and tired of dealing with **** in this profession that you guys don't want to put up. I am deleting this account and leaving peacefully knowing that I learned something. I wish you good luck to you all and hope you guys succeed in finding happiness whether it's in this profession or in something else that you truly find love in. I found love in this profession and I have not been discouraged in the contrary I have been pushed and motivated to make a change in this profession I will be someone who enters this profession with passion and love and to a degree I have full certainty that this is what I want to do in life.

I have been reading a lot because i knew something was wrong here and it did not make sense for people to be so aggressive towards some simple comment made on a thread. I came to realize now that in my OPINION you guys don't like what you do or life has lead you to realize this is not the right profession for you. You hate what clients say and what clients do and the situations they bring. You complain about many things and in the end if you were given the chance to switch to any other career you would and I completely understand that. I am a person that tries to understand people like you so i know how to deal with people like this in my life. I understand you guys feel depressed and tired of dealing with **** in this profession that you guys don't want to put up. I am deleting this account and leaving peacefully knowing that I learned something. I wish you good luck to you all and hope you guys succeed in finding happiness whether it's in this profession or in something else that you truly find love in. I found love in this profession and I have not been discouraged in the contrary I have been pushed and motivated to make a change in this profession I will be someone who enters this profession with passion and love and to a degree I have full certainty that this is what I want to do in life.

If the change you're looking to make is to make vet med affordable for whatever numbers you've decided are appropriate, you're going to have a hard go. And considering that vet med is small, you might want to keep your thoughts on what is appropriate to charge to yourself especially after a recent incident in the community.

Best of luck telling those vets you work for, I'll repeat...you work for, what to do. I'm sure they love it. Tell them what you think they should charge too. That'll make them buy you presents.

You hate what clients say and what clients do and the situations they bring. You complain about many things and in the end if you were given the chance to switch to any other career you would and I completely understand that. I am a person that tries to understand people like you so i know how to deal with people like this in my life. I understand you guys feel depressed and tired of dealing with **** in this profession that you guys don't want to put up. I am deleting this account and leaving peacefully knowing that I learned something. I wish you good luck to you all and hope you guys succeed in finding happiness whether it's in this profession or in something else that you truly find love in. I found love in this profession and I have not been discouraged in the contrary I have been pushed and motivated to make a change in this profession I will be someone who enters this profession with passion and love and to a degree I have full certainty that this is what I want to do in life.

Here's the difference between a mature younger person who wants to go into vet med, and an immature, self-centered, inexperienced person.

The former says "Huh. All these vets face some pretty stressful issues. Maybe rather than attack them for things like, oh, wanting to make money, I should understand how those factors could really influence someone! Oh my god - maybe it could impact me! Maybe they AREN'T greedy - maybe there are some pretty good reasons for what they charge? And maybe it's more stressful than I think being the center of attacks every day! How can I prepare to deal with that?"

The latter (@Pet24 , this would be you) says "I'm above all that. I know so, because I've stocked shelves and worked as an assistant and volunteered in a shelter, and by golly, I've got a PASSION for veterinary medicine!"

Sure, there are some jaded people around here. But there are also people who love their job. A smart person learns from both. An immature person ignores everything they don't want to hear in favor of their preconceived passions about the industry.

You have a lot to learn. Best of luck.

If the change you're looking to make is to make vet med affordable for whatever numbers you've decided are appropriate, you're going to have a hard go. And considering that vet med is small, you might want to keep your thoughts on what is appropriate to charge to yourself especially after a recent incident in the community.

Best of luck telling those vets you work for, I'll repeat...you work for, what to do. I'm sure they love it. Tell them what you think they should charge too. That'll make them buy you presents.

It's ok I understand your frustration and confusion as to how will I do this but i have faith things will work out (they just will) :)

Here's the difference between a mature younger person who wants to go into vet med, and an immature, self-centered, inexperienced person.

The former says "Huh. All these vets face some pretty stressful issues. Maybe rather than attack them for things like, oh, wanting to make money, I should understand how those factors could really influence someone! Oh my god - maybe it could impact me! Maybe they AREN'T greedy - maybe there are some pretty good reasons for what they charge? And maybe it's more stressful than I think being the center of attacks every day! How can I prepare to deal with that?"

The latter (@Pet24 , this would be you) says "I'm above all that. I know so, because I've stocked shelves and worked as an assistant and volunteered in a shelter, and by golly, I've got a PASSION for veterinary medicine!"

Sure, there are some jaded people around here. But there are also people who love their job. A smart person learns from both. An immature person tries to squeeze everyone else's concepts into their preconceived passions about the industry.

You have a lot to learn. Best of luck.

It's ok @LetItSnow I have nothing against what you say, everyone has a lot to learn so I am not alone. I am glad I posted this thread in a way because I did get to learn from both and understand the background as to the responses. Everyone goes through stressful issues which is reflected in their writing and conversations and I am glad I get to see this from different sides and not in a close minded way. And no Im not above all, and i have no interest in ever being. :) just trying to let you guys know i understand why you guys are like this and I am ok with it and i thank you for the lesson. Best of luck in your life too :D

No. You don't.

That's the point.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you opinion is "I don't" so I mean only thing I can say to this is I respect your opinion. I mean unless you want to keep going in circles to make this thread like the most seen and responded to on this DVM forum, probably a nice change around this place. Seems to keep a few entertained.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and you opinion is "I don't" so I mean only thing I can say to this is I respect your opinion. I mean unless you want to keep going in circles to make this thread like the most seen and responded to on this DVM forum, probably a nice change around this place. Seems to keep a few entertained.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

But that doesn't make everyone's opinion true, and it definitely doesn't make all opinions equally valid.

My opinion about practicing veterinary medicine is much more informed than your opinion. It's just the way it is. There are other people around here who have opinions more informed than mine. That's also just the way it is. I would never claim to be as "in the know" about practice ownership as @dyachei , for instance.

Have you ever been taught spelling or grammar? You might want to work on that before those vet school applications.