Help from DVM or DVM's to be... need advice PLEASE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

Your opinion just happens to be wrong. But yes, you are entitled to that.

Again your opinion too. You think I'm wrong and that is totally fine I accept it.

Members don't see this ad.

It's cute how you guys like each others post after every single response, sorta reminds me of this group of kids in middle school where when someone would disagree with their friend they would just be behind like backing their friend up :D

Have you ever been taught spelling or grammar? You might want to work on that before those vet school applications.

Meh not easy when you are typing with spanish autocorrect on, but i really don't mind, it's not like proper spelling is necessary in this forum, in the end it's just some forum on the web. But it's funny you try to use this as a last resort to add on to the things you think are wrong with me. It's ok i get where you are coming from.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you and I would disagree on what defines "reasonable" accommodations.

I don't actually think we do...

I think trigger warnings are specifically appropriate only for impacted students and that the warning itself is the accommodation. The onus is then on the student to provide their own self-care strategy, not on the instructor to completely prevent emotional response. If done right, that should have zero impact on any one else taking a course.

Students shouldn't get to dictate what material is being presented - not only does that push back against free speech, but it fundamentally changes the pedagogical purpose of a course. A reasonable academic adjustment would be one that does not require a substantial change in the curriculum or alteration of any essential elements or functions of the course, not something done "at all costs."

If a disability, mental or physical, prevents someone from being able to effectively do the work required for the course or the accommodation needed would fundamentally change the purpose of the course, there is no level of accommodation that is reasonable. And that's totally fine! I think it's more clear cut for a professor when a course won't be physically possible for a student, but with something like PTSD, a student definitely needs to be responsible for their own limitations, as you said. I don't disagree with that at all.

Unfortunately, the "at all costs" accommodation mentality is where we've ended up as a society with a lot of this (and I assume where your objections come in) - if material is not inclusive or "safe" or whatever the PC word of the moment is, many instructors and institutions just bow to the pressure of students who want a bubble-wrapped world and simply don't teach it. That does a real disservice not only to students, but to research, academia, and even society as a whole.

I think where we do disagree is what to do about it - you'd like to toss out the concept altogether, I'm all for taking the concept back from those using it in the context of social justice and instead re-setting it to its more restricted use as a disability accommodation. Part of that conversation is helping people distinguish between being pushed emotionally with uncomfortable content (which they can and should be as college students!) and giving a heads up about content to those for whom it may worsen a medical condition.

I can see it's near and dear to your heart

It is, but different opinions are always welcome! I think, given some of the statistics relating to mental health struggles in the veterinary field (depression, suicide, and so on), it's never bad to think about, debate, and discuss topics related to mental health. There are lots of areas in academics and the profession where there can be healthy debate in regards to where we need to draw the line between "we need to make this better" and "actually, you just need to suck it up."

Also, sorry for giving you all of my late night ramblings in giant walls of text. :whistle:

Reactions: 5 users
Also, just noticed the 20 or so posts that went up between midnight and 5 am.

Is... Is this what the rest of my life is going to be like? Does vet med = never sleeping going to bed at a reasonable hour ever again? :yawn:

Reactions: 2 users
It's ok @LetItSnow I have nothing against what you say, everyone has a lot to learn so I am not alone. I am glad I posted this thread in a way because I did get to learn from both and understand the background as to the responses. Everyone goes through stressful issues which is reflected in their writing and conversations and I am glad I get to see this from different sides and not in a close minded way. And no Im not above all, and i have no interest in ever being. :) just trying to let you guys know i understand why you guys are like this and I am ok with it and i thank you for the lesson. Best of luck in your life too :D
This is so incredibly condescending. I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors. You're going to need it with your current attitude.

Humility will go a long way. You say you have learned something but the lesson you're taking away here is a very shallow one. You should be considering that people are talking to you about the reality of veterinary medicine not to scare you away or because people are jaded, but because it's the reality of vet med. And I personally want prevets to go in with eyes wide open.

You may also want to consider your defensive reactions and why you felt so threatened by disagreement. There's a lot to be learned there, too

See: britzen and LIS disagreeing. Reasonable arguments back and forth, no insulting. A+ debate while this is a cluster**** if I've seen one.

Although I'm still cracking up about us apparently falsely claiming to be vets with any old license number. Nevermind how many of us talk regularly, have met irl, etc...

It's ok @LetItSnow I have nothing against what you say, everyone has a lot to learn so I am not alone. I am glad I posted this thread in a way because I did get to learn from both and understand the background as to the responses. Everyone goes through stressful issues which is reflected in their writing and conversations and I am glad I get to see this from different sides and not in a close minded way. And no Im not above all, and i have no interest in ever being. :) just trying to let you guys know i understand why you guys are like this and I am ok with it and i thank you for the lesson. Best of luck in your life too :D
This is so condescending I laughed aloud.

I'm a vet who quite likes her job and her life. I agreed with everything they said, no bitterness needed, just didn't get to the thread on time to say it. Just... stop. With all this.

Reactions: 10 users
View attachment 224740
CoWZ05t.gif

Geez, this thread is still going?

what is dead.jpg

Damn it I was dealing with smashed car stuff and was super busy at work and I missed all the fun!
I mean knowing Pet24 you’ll likely get another chance to go again.

Also how dare you spend money on a smashed car when you could be spending it so that 1.32 clients can get half of their services for free. *sarcasm*

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
All in all I am happy for what I learned and i am glad to read all the "advice" given afterwards but like I said I understand all of your frustrations and i don't want to be all caught up in it but I am happy I understand. It also help me look at why i had a defensive reaction in the end and it was pretty much because I could not understand how a simple comment on a thread could tick someone off. I read around and I came to realize why, so I calmed down and in my mind I came to peace with knowing that this person has gone through some rough patches so I decided to come back and just be cool about it. :D

Stop making assumptions about "rough patches". Remember that we don't know you? You don't know us.

I know enough to know that something was wrong :/ but I'm ok with it

I know enough to know that something was wrong :/ but I'm ok with it
You're assuming that people that weren't agreeing with you had rough patches. That's not the case. Several people politely corrected your misunderstanding/misinformation AND gave you the information you wanted and you assume that because they reacted as such, they must have rough patches.

Instead, consider that people might want you well informed based on a statement you made with very little thought

If triggering is needed, the status chosen for the OP is amusing. haha

Plenty of young people think they can change the world. Things will work out as they say and they either find a way to make their ideology work or will become amassed in the reality of what happens with so many people wanting everything free yet everyone also wanting the profit for the things people want for free. Those stuck in the middle getting asses kicked day in and day out to find compromise equivalent to the nice guy always loses stays cliche.

You're assuming that people that weren't agreeing with you had rough patches. That's not the case. Several people politely corrected your misunderstanding/misinformation AND gave you the information you wanted and you assume that because they reacted as such, they must have rough patches.

Instead, consider that people might want you well informed based on a statement you made with very little thought

I don't assume I look at the facts and I don't want anyone to agree with me everyone has their own opinion but this was one of those things that i could not understand why was there such a strong push towards stating and pointing out I am wrong. Like if I was wrong a " you got it all wrong" comment and small follow up of why, would have been enough but I mean it went on and on. And on top of that making it sound like what I said is impossible for it to happen which I did not get how someone can try to convince people that their opinion is a fact. But then again i've seen people like this around and it helps me. It was a nice challenge.

I don't assume I look at the facts and I don't want anyone to agree with me everyone has their own opinion but this was one of those things that i could not understand why was there such a strong push towards stating and pointing out I am wrong. Like if I was wrong a " you got it all wrong" comment and small follow up of why, would have been enough but I mean it went on and on. And on top of that making it sound like what I said is impossible for it to happen which I did not get how someone can try to convince people that their opinion is a fact. But then again i've seen people like this around and it helps me. It was a nice challenge.

I'm not going to belabor this point. But you have a lot of learning to do. I would recommend you focus on interpersonal skills in addition to your prerequisites

I wish you luck in your journey

If triggering is needed, the status chosen for the OP is amusing. haha

Plenty of young people think they can change the world. Things will work out as they say and they either find a way to make their ideology work or will become amassed in the reality of what happens with so many people wanting everything free yet everyone also wanting the profit for the things people want for free. Those stuck in the middle getting asses kicked day in and day out to find compromise equivalent to the nice guy always loses stays cliche.

Ok wait, something I wanted to point out that i didn't get was why is free being thrown around? no one talked about free but i guess that's what some understood by low cost. I didn't think I would have to specify what meant because the thread was not even talking about this but I worked with a mobile clinic that offered spaying and neutering for $5 + $10 for a cone all meds and check ups included. And that was only if you lived in a certain area, the areas changed throughout the year and you had to bring proof you lived in that area if you did not then surgeries would run around $50-$80. Vaccines and deworming was $10 and check up's were available at low cost too. I loved working at this place because people were extremely thankful and I loved knowing we were making a change in those communities and people were more informed about the care it goes into owning a pet. And everyone I worked there loved their job and worked very hard. It was a nice environment.

I'm not going to belabor this point. But you have a lot of learning to do. I would recommend you focus on interpersonal skills in addition to your prerequisites

I wish you luck in your journey

Everyone has a lot to learn. Thank you and good luck to you too :)

Ok wait, something I wanted to point out that i didn't get was why is free being thrown around? no one talked about free but i guess that's what some understood by low cost. I didn't think I would have to specify what meant because the thread was not even talking about this but I worked with a mobile clinic that offered spaying and neutering for $5 + $10 for a cone all meds and check ups included. And that was only if you lived in a certain area, the areas changed throughout the year and you had to bring proof you lived in that area if you did not then surgeries would run around $50-$80. Vaccines and deworming was $10 and check up's were available at low cost too. I loved working at this place because people were extremely thankful and I loved knowing we were making a change in those communities and people were more informed about the care it goes into owning a pet. And everyone I worked there loved their job and worked very hard. It was a nice environment.

I think some of this is simply a language and way of speaking barrier. Low cost is still equivalent to free. Those that use a low cost vaccine and spay/neuter expect all services to be low cost at all places, and those that charge the actual cost of those things get called money grubbing rip-offs. There is no understanding that money has to be spent for that suture and those vaccines and those needles and those gloves and that anesthesia and that sheer time spent performing those procedures. It perpetuates a misunderstanding that is the root of all this discord you are witnessing but not understanding.

Reactions: 8 users
I think some of this is simply a language and way of speaking barrier. Low cost is still equivalent to free. Those that use a low cost vaccine and spay/neuter expect all services to be low cost at all places, and those that charge the actual cost of those things get called money grubbing rip-offs. There is no understanding that money has to be spent for that suture and those vaccines and those needles and those gloves and that anesthesia and that sheer time spent performing those procedures. It perpetuates a misunderstanding that is the root of all this discord you are witnessing but not understanding.

I mean it's all about educating people and making them realize why some services cost what they cost and no arguing there I always try to take the time to inform our clients of the procedure and the things that go into it and why we have to charge what we charge. I know not all vets are the same, I have worked with many that I aspire to be one day because of the way they handle problems they encounter in this profession.

I mean it's all about educating people and making them realize why some services cost what they cost and no arguing there I always try to take the time to inform our clients of the procedure and the things that go into it and why we have to charge what we charge. I know not all vets are the same, I have worked with many that I aspire to be one day because of the way they handle problems they encounter in this profession.

You forget that most people don't want to hear it. Also remember that another problem in most vet med is time is money. The extra time it takes to attempt to explain all of that for it to fail most the time means you don't see as many clients that day. Those missed appointments mean angry people who will go somewhere else now because they couldn't get in and money lost. There are so many intangibles that you are overlooking. In an ideal world, we would have all the time in the world to spend with owners, but that simply isn't realistic. I think most of us get fairly good at determining which owners are worth our extra time versus those who, no matter what we say or explain, are adamant about their opinion and nothing will change it. Sadly, those are the types that cause the burnout and soon turns to dread and then stoppage of trying to bring education to the public.

What's with all the butthurt pre-vets lately? Like, oh no, I didn't get the response I wanted, so let me act really offended, antagonize people, and throw a big whiny fit in general?

Don't come up in here with
...vets that charge way more than they have to or try to scare people into paying huge amounts of money to keep their pets alive...
And then get surprised and upset when the veterinarians here don't respond positively to that.

Why would you think that would go any other way?

Either dial back, reset, and let's start from square one - you be polite and we'll be polite - or take the passive aggressive crap elsewhere.

Reactions: 9 users
You forget that most people don't want to hear it. Also remember that another problem in most vet med is time is money. The extra time it takes to attempt to explain all of that for it to fail most the time means you don't see as many clients that day. Those missed appointments mean angry people who will go somewhere else now because they couldn't get in and money lost. There are so many intangibles that you are overlooking. In an ideal world, we would have all the time in the world to spend with owners, but that simply isn't realistic. I think most of us get fairly good at determining which owners are worth our extra time versus those who, no matter what we say or explain, are adamant about their opinion and nothing will change it. Sadly, those are the types that cause the burnout and soon turns to dread and then stoppage of trying to bring education to the public.

Yes I understand some people are very hard to educate and I know you say I am missing many other things but at this point I don't want to go into details of it but I do realize what you are saying is right and I agree with it.

What's with all the butthurt pre-vets lately? Like, oh no, I didn't get the response I wanted, so let me act really offended, antagonize people, and throw a big whiny fit in general?

Don't come up in here with

And then get surprised and upset when the veterinarians here don't respond positively to that.

Why would you think that would go any other way?

Either dial back, reset, and let's start from square one - you be polite and we'll be polite - or take the passive aggressive crap elsewhere.

oh so I see, this "problem" you guys have are with other pre-vets too hmmm well I did state in the beginning I had zero intentions of offending anyone I was simply talking about an experience I had. It's like if someone said in a dog grooming forum I want to open a dog grooming salon because many people complain some groomers out there mistreat pets, I am not going to get in a debate with that person or try to convince them " no! there are zero groomers on earth who mistreat dogs, I know it from my experience, i have way more experience than you blah blah blah", in that persons experience there might have been some groomers who were like that, I can try and let her know not all groomers are that way and some disciplinary actions some groomers take can be seen as abuse when in reality it's just a technique for some groomers to avoid getting bit by aggressive dogs.

oh so I see, this "problem" you guys have are with other pre-vets too hmmm well I did state in the beginning I had zero intentions of offending anyone I was simply talking about an experience I had. It's like if someone said in a dog grooming forum I want to open a dog grooming salon because many people complain some groomers out there mistreat pets, I am not going to get in a debate with that person or try to convince them " no! there are zero groomers on earth who mistreat dogs, I know it from my experience, i have way more experience than you blah blah blah", in that persons experience there might have been some groomers who were like that, I can try and let her know not all groomers are that way and some disciplinary actions some groomers take can be seen as abuse when in reality it's just a technique for some groomers to avoid getting bit by aggressive dogs.

Uhhh... what?

Also, sorry for giving you all of my late night ramblings in giant walls of text. :whistle:

Not at all. I think it's super interesting. I don't want you to take my comments as insensitivity or rejection of (appropriate) accommodations. That's not me. I just think .... we've gone too far. (In more areas than just the language of 'trigger warnings'. My basic rule-of-thumb is that accommodations shouldn't set back unaffected students; and my observation is that in some cases (all the way from the grade school level up) they have.

Reactions: 1 user
Also, just noticed the 20 or so posts that went up between midnight and 5 am.

Is... Is this what the rest of my life is going to be like? Does vet med = never sleeping going to bed at a reasonable hour ever again? :yawn:

Well, I work emergency medicine, so those hours are normal for me. I frequently hit up SDN at that time once my caseload has died down but I'm still too amped up to go sleep.

I can't speak for DVMDream, though. She's just crazy. :)

Just a casual thought here.

If you want to make low cost/free pet care for people who cannot afford it a thing in your life and career, it probably will not be a sustainable business model. What you can do is work normally in a clinic, with a normal business model, and either volunteer at or set up a regular free/low cost clinical event.

I'm involved with an organization that does (VERY basic) free pet care for homeless or low income pet owners. The clinic is restricted in how many people can sign up (due to time and number of veterinarians present), and runs once a month. The woman who started it was a veterinarian who wanted to give back to the community, particular the ones she couldn't help during regular business hours due to cost. Vets, techs, and assistants all volunteer their time to make it happen, and all meds/vaccines (with the exception of rabies and specific vaccines) are donated by clinics and the drug reps. The clinic is very successful and has had a hugely positive impact on the community, particularly the welfare of the pets. If labwork/surgery is needed, contact info for subsidy groups is provided (the clinic is not in the position to do those things, so they need to be referred to a regular clinic).

Just because running a full business catering to only clients with financial concerns may not be an option, it doesn't mean that you can't do that on the side to give back while still earning a career that won't leave you going bankrupt.

Uhhh... what?

You, ummm... what? what did you not get about this

If you want to make low cost/free pet care for people who cannot afford it a thing in your life and career, it probably will not be a sustainable business model. What you can do is work normally in a clinic, with a normal business model, and either volunteer at or set up a regular free/low cost clinical event.

I'm involved with an organization that does (VERY basic) free pet care for homeless or low income pet owners. The clinic is restricted in how many people can sign up (due to time and number of veterinarians present), and runs once a month. The woman who started it was a veterinarian who wanted to give back to the community, particular the ones she couldn't help during regular business hours due to cost. Vets, techs, and assistants all volunteer their time to make it happen, and all meds/vaccines (with the exception of rabies and specific vaccines) are donated by clinics and the drug reps. The clinic is very successful and has had a hugely positive impact on the community, particularly the welfare of the pets. If labwork/surgery is needed, contact info for subsidy groups is provided (the clinic is not in the position to do those things, so they need to be referred to a regular clinic).

Just because running a full business catering to only clients with financial concerns may not be an option, it doesn't mean that you can't do that on the side to give back while still earning a career that won't leave you going bankrupt.

I am all for this, and this was what I had in mind. At the other vet I work with they are full service but every 2 weeks in the weekend they offer low cost check up and general pet care for a limited amount of people too and that is pretty much a business model I would like to follow.

I think it's important to realize that the reason spay and neuter clinics are able to do such low cost procedures is 1) they're going to be subsidized in some way, and 2)they're often they're run by volunteers.

It's not that they're able to charge so little because that's the true cost of those procedures. It's because money is being supplemented by an outside source.

I think non-profit, low cost clinics are great. If money weren't an issue, I'd love to work in one, and hope to be able to volunteer with one again as a vet after I graduate. But they aren't sustainable business models unless they're being funded, which is not easy to come by.

Reactions: 3 users

I am all for this, and this was what I had in mind. At the other vet I work with they are full service but every 2 weeks in the weekend they offer low cost check up and general pet care for a limited amount of people too and that is pretty much a business model I would like to follow.
A few potential challenges I see with this are that:
1. If it is at your clinic with your staff, you need to pay them. I believe it is actually illegal to volunteer at your own place of employment while doing the same jobs that you normally get paid for. @dyachei is this correct? Paying them will quickly cost you a lot of money.
2. If it is at your clinic, it will be sorta expected that you use your supplies. That you pay for with your business budget. Thus, losing you money. People would very likely be sketched out at donating things to a technically for profit business (if you haven't made two different centers operating in the same space, which could get confusing)
3. Clients can be unreasonable. What do you think they will say when you charge them 200+ for something during the week, and then offer that same care to someone for $0 or minimal dollars on the weekend? Explaining that it is because they cannot afford it will not always result in happiness and understanding on their end. This sets you up to piss off and lose clients, and thus the money that pays for your loans/living costs/business costs.

I think my point was that full separation of vet work for money and vet work for community should be made, and will result in the least amount of headaches while still attaining what you want to do. The messy grey mixed area sounds like a nightmare. Then again, maybe you could find a way to make it work because I have never tried starting a business like that (or at all lol) myself. I just can see and predict a lot of challenges with doing so.

1. If it is at your clinic with your staff, you need to pay them. I believe it is actually illegal to volunteer at your own place of employment while doing the same jobs that you normally get paid for. @dyachei is this correct? Paying them will quickly cost you a lot of money.
2. If it is at your clinic, it will be sorta expected that you use your supplies. That you pay for with your business budget. Thus, losing you money. People would very likely be sketched out at donating things to a technically for profit business (if you haven't made two different centers operating in the same space, which could get confusing)
3. Clients can be unreasonable. What do you think they will say when you charge them 200+ for something during the week, and then offer that same care to someone for $0 or minimal dollars on the weekend? Explaining that it is because they cannot afford it will not always result in happiness and understanding on their end. This sets you up to piss off and lose clients, and thus the money that pays for your loans/living costs/business costs.

I think my point was that full separation of vet work for money and vet work for community should be made, and will result in the least amount of headaches while still attaining what you want to do. The messy grey mixed area sounds like a nightmare. Then again, maybe you could find a way to make it work because I have never tried starting a business like that (or at all lol) myself. I just can see and predict a lot of challenges with doing so.
I believe you are correct. And I believe it's not legal to collect donations as a private business instead of a non-profit portion of said business

Same here I mean I am constantly asking the doctor how she figures it out and makes it work so well and smoothly and i admire her a lot. And the clients here are very understanding of that. I am glad I found this place I work at now because I also analyzed it before and thought it would be near impossible to ever run a place like this. And she seems to have a nice balanced life so it is paying her well.

I believe you are correct. And I believe it's not legal to collect donations as a private business instead of a non-profit portion of said business
yeah i dont think that would be right

I know of several sliding-fee scale hospitals that have made a go of it. Obviously, it requires a balance of "full fee" paying clients that essentially subsidize the others. Or some other method of propping up the cost of services for the subsidized clients. Out here in the Twin Cities we have Mission Animal Hospital, which is just one example of how it can be done (I frequently refer clients there when they don't have the financial resources to afford our care my apparent price-gouging.).

I have zero objection to the OP's "goal" of offering lower-cost services - that's an achievable goal, and I'm glad there are those services out there (though there are issues with some of the lower-cost services receiving public funds that end up undercutting non-subsidized hospitals - but that's a bigger discussion). I do object to the OP's language about vets inflating costs and whatnot - that's just offensive, and clearly the OP is unable to comprehend why that would be so, and just as clearly has no interest in understanding it. TT really pretty much summarized it well.

Last edited:
I can't speak for DVMDream, though. She's just crazy. :)

I'd try to argue this but there is no arguing, I'm crazy. Also insomnia. Also thinking about all the crap that can tumble down hill after the **** storm I had last night. Didn't sleep until after 2AM.

Uhhh... what?

I'ma go out on a limb and guess that the "Uhhh... what?" had less to do with TT not getting the point and more to do with the run-on sentence containing 126 words and no semblance of grammar. Don't worry, though; your butthurt came through loud and clear.

I'ma go out on a limb and guess that the "Uhhh... what?" had less to do with TT not getting the point and more to do with the run-on sentence containing 126 words and no semblance of grammar. Don't worry, though; your butthurt came through loud and clear.

That was actually a mistake i did not mean it to go towards that reply :S

OP, I think an important thing for you to keep in mind here is that if you want to open or work at a low-cost clinic, you need to have a good relationship with the regular-cost/traditional clinics in the area. If you have an attitude that your colleagues are "vets that charge way more than they have to or try to scare people into paying huge amounts of money to keep their pets alive," that's not going to make you many friends, and other clinics aren't going to want to refer clients who many not be able to afford their services to you.

And as other people mentioned, you need to have an understanding of how and why low-cost clinics are able to charge what they do, and be able to educate clients on what services they may not be getting by going to a low-cost clinic that they would get somewhere else (e.g. pre-anesthetic bloodwork, proper anesthetic monitoring, post-op pain meds). Those things may not always be necessary (well, I'd argue that post-op pain meds are), but in some cases are very important, and a lot of clients are under the mistaken impression that they can get the exact same surgery for $50 at a low-cost clinic that the vet down the road might be charging $250 for.

Vet med is a small world, you can't go into this profession with the attitude of "I'm going to do the right thing and everyone else who charges full price is just out to scam clients." Vets that truly do price gouge or push unnecessary products/services are the exception, not the rule.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users