Help Me With My Decision Please!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NStan5

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am going into my last semester of undergrad. I would say that I will be graduating conservatively with a cumulative GPA of about a 3.5 with a science GPA of about a 3.1. I am deciding whether I should take my last pre req for a DO school (Physics) or PA school (Anatomy). I have reasonabley good ECs as I am an EMT and etc. Would I be competitive for DO schools with this GPA? Realistically what would I need to score on the MCAT to stay in the ballpark? Thank you for your responses I really appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

I am going into my last semester of undergrad. I would say that I will be graduating conservatively with a cumulative GPA of about a 3.5 with a science GPA of about a 3.1. I am deciding whether I should take my last pre req for a DO school (Physics) or PA school (Anatomy). I have reasonabley good ECs as I am an EMT and etc. Would I be competitive for DO schools with this GPA? Realistically what would I need to score on the MCAT to stay in the ballpark? Thank you for your responses I really appreciate it!

Will the potential A in the courses you listed above bring your GPA above a 3.2? Realistically w/ a science GPA that low, you will have slim pickins even for DO schools (KCU screens applicants pre secondary with GPAs below 3.25, doesn't matter your MCAT score). I am certain a good majority of DO schools would also send you app to the hold or WL pile with a sGPA of a 3.0 or 3.1 (whatver it goes up to)

MCAT: most DO schools prefer a minimum of 24 (probably something like. 500 on the new MCAT). Because you already have the lower science GPA, it will be imperative to get a MCAT score that is well above the minimum required by DO programs. Probably a 503-504 or higher.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks so much for your response!!! Doing the math, As in any remaining science course would bring the science GPA to about a 3.20-3.25... I am a NY resident, but have 0 geographical preference to schools. But, would going to a school that has low requirements that I can fill lead to a lesser chance of getting a residency?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your response!!! Doing the math, As in any remaining science course would bring the science GPA to about a 3.20-3.25... I am a NY resident, but have 0 geographical preference to schools. But, would going to a school that has low requirements that I can fill lead to a lesser chance of getting a residency?

Not at all. DO programs whether new or older have a requirement of matching their students. I don't think I've seen a class match less than 92-93 percent of their class and for the most part, a good amount of those that didn't match aer taking a 5th year to do research or in fact droped behind the next class because they were a part of some year long fellowship the school offers.

I would highly urge making sure your sGPA is higher or equal to at least a 3.2-3.3 in order to make the cut past a good amount of DO schools (the stats for the accepted classes are usually a bit higher than this).

Great thank you. Do you have any suggestion of a reliable place to look for these requirements? I'm having a hard time even on the school website themselves.

You cGPA is solid. Your sGPA is a tad weak. I am applying with weaker GPA's this coming cycle (3.1/3.3). Hoping to score a 504+ on MCAT. Coupled with good EC's and solid LoR's including one from DO, I am hoping I get a few II's. We shall see! Anyways hope this gives you an idea of where you are at. I think you will be competitive with an MCAT above 502, as long as you have solid EC's (200+ hours volunteering, leadership roles, clubs, hobbies, shadowing DO, community service, etc.) and an LoR from a DO.

Good luck and HNY!

You cGPA is solid. Your sGPA is a tad weak. I am applying with weaker GPA's this coming cycle (3.1/3.3). Hoping to score a 504+ on MCAT. Coupled with good EC's and solid LoR's including one from DO, I am hoping I get a few II's. We shall see! Anyways hope this gives you an idea of where you are at. I think you will be competitive with an MCAT above 502, as long as you have solid EC's (200+ hours volunteering, leadership roles, clubs, hobbies, shadowing DO, community service, etc.) and an LoR from a DO.

Good luck and HNY!
Thank you, would you mind saying where you are planning on applying?

You should see if you can bring your sGPA up to a 3.3-3.4. With that sGPA you currently have some schools will already screen you out. Also, if you can get an MCAT score that is at least 508, you definitely would have some shot in mid tier and even upper tier level schools.

If you do apply this coming cycle, apply to all the new schools such as BCOM, ACOM, etc. Make sure you apply early.

I would recommend some course retakes to bring that sGPA up to a better level. After all, medical school is 4 years of your life. You want to get into the best school you possibly can for you. There is a difference between schools, and sometimes, these differences are huge.

With an MCAT >508 you will be competitive for DO, especially if you can get the sGPA up a notch or two. But this decision really comes down to the type of work that you want to do. Do you want to be a physician or a PA? Would you regret the type of work you do if you choose one path over the other? If you really want to be a physician and have the right type of support and motivation then you will get there.