Help with Post Bacc vs MSBS Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ohio2018w

Reaction score
Hello. I would love some advice on which route I should take regarding this decision. I have just graduated with my bachelors degree in Biology with a 3.01 GPA and a 2.71 sGPA. I realized Medical school or DO school wasn't an option right away being that my MCAT on my first try was a 495. I am currently studying to retake the MCAT, but am planning on taking a year before applying to either do a Post Baccalaureate program at John Carroll or do a Masters of Biomedical Sciences program at Charles Drew University or Midwestern U-AZ. What do you think I should do considering my stats?

Thank you so much I would really appreciate your help in deciding this.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. I would love some advice on which route I should take regarding this decision. I have just graduated with my bachelors degree in Biology with a 3.01 GPA and a 2.71 sGPA. I realized Medical school or DO school wasn't an option right away being that my MCAT on my first try was a 495. I am currently studying to retake the MCAT, but am planning on taking a year before applying to either do a Post Baccalaureate program at John Carroll or do a Masters of Biomedical Sciences program at Charles Drew University or Midwestern U-AZ. What do you think I should do considering my stats?

Thank you so much I would really appreciate your help in deciding this.
We need more background. What community do you represent? Do you have a compelling reason for your low GPA (i.e significant hardships like homelessness, diagnoses, etc.)?

We need more background. What community do you represent? Do you have a compelling reason for your low GPA (i.e significant hardships like homelessness, diagnoses, etc.)?

I come from a minority background being that I am the first generation in my family that came to America from North Africa. I dealt with a family illness during my sophomore year that plummeted my GPA for a couple semesters but was able to rebound following that year. Regardless, I struggled with Ochem 1/2 and Biochem getting Cs in all 3 of those courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
I come from a minority background being that I am the first generation in my family that came to America from North Africa. I dealt with a family illness during my sophomore year that plummeted my GPA for a couple semesters but was able to rebound following that year. Regardless, I struggled with Ochem 1/2 and Biochem getting Cs in all 3 of those courses.
Lol you'll be roasted alive if you try to claim URM status as a North African. Were you economically disadvantaged for much of your upbringing? What about your first generation status put you at a disadvantage?

I hear what you're saying about the family illness (although I'm kind of confused about what this means), but getting C's in Orgo 1/2 and Biochemistry suggests a pattern. How do I know? I had C's in Bio-Cell and Molec, General Chem 1, and Orgo 2. Wanna know what happened at interviews? :boom:I was roasted

My suggestion is to reflect upon your undergrad, and find the reason for your lower grades. Depending upon that answer, I have a list of post baccs (MD + DO) with conditional acceptance linkages --> meaning you do the post bacc for a year and then matriculate into the associated medical school without a gap year. In order to qualify for these though, you need to have an underlying reason for your lower grades.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your reply. I have applied to numerous post baccs with linkages and numerous MSBS programs, I am just wondering what will be more beneficial in my case. I was denied from Drexel's program which was my top choice and now have John Carroll giving me an opportunity to do a post bacc there. I have multiple Masters of Biomedical Sciences program acceptances, but none have a direct link to their DO/MD program. My low grades were due in part of my father suffering from a heart attack which lead me to miss some time from school in going back home. My minority background is not something that I am wearing on my sleeve but it is there and is evident in my life. Thank you so much for continued help.

My suggestion is to reflect upon your undergrad, and find the reason for your lower grades. Depending upon that answer, I have a list of post baccs (MD + DO) with conditional acceptance linkages --> meaning you do the post bacc for a year and then matriculate into the associated medical school without a gap year. In order to qualify for these though, you need to have an underlying reason for your lower grades.
Also-what MCAT score do you think I would need to achieve to give myself a decent shot at DO given my situation?

Thank you so much for your reply. I have applied to numerous post baccs with linkages and numerous MSBS programs, I am just wondering what will be more beneficial in my case. I was denied from Drexel's program which was my top choice and now have John Carroll giving me an opportunity to do a post bacc there. I have multiple Masters of Biomedical Sciences program acceptances, but none have a direct link to their DO/MD program. My low grades were due in part of my father suffering from a heart attack which lead me to miss some time from school in going back home. My minority background is not something that I am wearing on my sleeve but it is there and is evident in my life. Thank you so much for continued help.
Im sorry that happened to you. You’re strong for trudging through that situation! I’m guessing you applied to DPMS by Drexel? Honestly, GEMS probably would have been a good choice for you. You wouldn’t even have to retake the MCAT..but you would have to have some financial means to pay for housing and food. If you absolutely want to apply DO this year, I’d say a 503 or higher would serve you well. You’re the ideal disadvantaged candidate with legit adversities (but avoid using the term minority background, it’s a trigger for many adcom’s since it’s always over-abused in applications)