lankena

10+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hey

I am almost done making my rank list: I cannot decide b/w few programs.

I wd like to do a cardio fellowship: location is not of much concern to me ( I am from rural Minnesota adn married with a kid, so.....)- have an MPH in epi with focus on CV epi; would like to do some clinical research as a resident.

These are the programs I am not sure of :

UCLA vs Mayo
Iowa vs Pitt

Have rest of the list pretty much figured out.

JHMI
UTSW
Wash U
UCLA vs Mayo Rochester
Wisconsin Madison
Iowa vs Pitt
Baylor Houston
U Minn

Any help wd be appreciated........:)

Thanks!!

Geri_Gal

Loving Life
10+ Year Member
Nov 8, 2006
East of the Mississippi
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
For what it's worth, I'd choose Mayo over UCLA. You are from rural MN and have a family. Rochester is a VERY family-friendly city...and it would be much more difficult to transplant your family to L.A. (unless that is where you are currently living or are familiar with the area :oops:) Plus Mayo has incredible resources and great fellowship placement.

Pitt vs. Iowa is a tough one. I don't know much about the relative strengths of the cards depts. I know that Pitt is a rising star in the academic world and it has a LOT of good faculty and funding available if you are interested in research. Pitt is a family-friendly city -- and very affordable! I'd choose Pitt.

There you go. My 2 cents.

VCMM414

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 27, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
For me, the choice between UCLA and Mayo is a toss-up. Really depends on your own comfort level with the respective programs and cities. Can't go wrong with either.

I too would choose Pitt over Iowa.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.