help with rank list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lankena

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey

I am almost done making my rank list: I cannot decide b/w few programs.

I wd like to do a cardio fellowship: location is not of much concern to me ( I am from rural Minnesota adn married with a kid, so.....)- have an MPH in epi with focus on CV epi; would like to do some clinical research as a resident.

These are the programs I am not sure of :

UCLA vs Mayo
Iowa vs Pitt

Have rest of the list pretty much figured out.

JHMI
UTSW
Wash U
UCLA vs Mayo Rochester
Wisconsin Madison
Iowa vs Pitt
Baylor Houston
U Minn

Any help wd be appreciated........:)

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, I'd choose Mayo over UCLA. You are from rural MN and have a family. Rochester is a VERY family-friendly city...and it would be much more difficult to transplant your family to L.A. (unless that is where you are currently living or are familiar with the area :oops:) Plus Mayo has incredible resources and great fellowship placement.

Pitt vs. Iowa is a tough one. I don't know much about the relative strengths of the cards depts. I know that Pitt is a rising star in the academic world and it has a LOT of good faculty and funding available if you are interested in research. Pitt is a family-friendly city -- and very affordable! I'd choose Pitt.

There you go. My 2 cents.

For me, the choice between UCLA and Mayo is a toss-up. Really depends on your own comfort level with the respective programs and cities. Can't go wrong with either.

I too would choose Pitt over Iowa.