Help with studying habits? Chances for optometry school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Missc9opt

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA keeps dropping! I’m scared to death. My GPA before I took Physics 2 & Organic Chemistry 2 was 3.34. I got C’s in both of those, then it dropped to a 3.31.
Once I took Biochemistry, for a C in that, and got more B’s than C’s in my other classes that semester it dropped to a 3.28.
I just finished taking 5 summer classes including A&P 1, 1Lab, and A&P 2 along with two other sociology classes. I got 2 A’s, 1 B and the other two don’t have final grades yet (but I think it’s a C in A&P 2 + an A in A&P 1 Lab.
My GPA keeps dropping. Do I still have a good chance to make it into optometry school? I plan to take my OAT in December, even though I haven’t bought anything to prep yet!

Also, is 4 months enough time to study for the OAT? Any study habits would be greatly appreciated. I need to hear from someone other than my parents. Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I think you can still have a good chance to make it into optometry school. Try not to fail any of the required prereq classes and try to regain back your 3.3 GPA. And as long as you do well on your OAT, it can have an effect on overshadowing your GPA a bit. And I also was in your situation for taking the OAT. I actually started studying it last August and took at least over 4 months to study for it at my rate and took it late December. Honestly 4 months is PLENTY of time. Anymore than that then you'll just be killing your brain. For study habits, ALWAYS try to make an effort to UNDERSTAND the concepts and APPLY them after learning them. Trying to understand all the subjects is better than merely memorizing information and not knowing it. And if you need any advice on prep then you can message me. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you so much for your response! It’s very helpful. I will message you in the future if I have any questions.

I think you can still have a good chance to make it into optometry school. Try not to fail any of the required prereq classes and try to regain back your 3.3 GPA. And as long as you do well on your OAT, it can have an effect on overshadowing your GPA a bit. And I also was in your situation for taking the OAT. I actually started studying it last August and took at least over 4 months to study for it at my rate and took it late December. Honestly 4 months is PLENTY of time. Anymore than that then you'll just be killing your brain. For study habits, ALWAYS try to make an effort to UNDERSTAND the concepts and APPLY them after learning them. Trying to understand all the subjects is better than merely memorizing information and not knowing it. And if you need any advice on prep then you can message me. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I think you're fine. Your GPA rounds to a 3.3 either way, if you think about it that way, so it's not dropping too much!

I think a 3.3 sounds alright, just make sure that nothing goes below a C in pre-req's since optometry schools don't like that.

For the OAT, I studied for 3 months (but the first month very slowly since I was travelling). I would even recommend that you don't over-do it, because I found that the stuff that I studied early on I kept forgetting! If you go with 4 months make sure you keep reviewing material.

Reactions: 1 users
Remember, schools look at the institution you went to as well as the GPA. There is huge difference in rigor of coursework in Student 1 who went to Unknown University and got a B+ and Student 2 who went to UCLA and got a C+.