How binding is paying the deposit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chunsa26

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN!

I have been creepily reading this forum for a while now and decided to finally create an account because....I've been accepted to VETERINARY SCHOOL! So I've come to the place where I've gotten such great insights now seeking advice, knowing SDN is a great community.

I have been accepted in Ross' class that starts in May 2014. (woohooo!)

The dilemma I have is....I also have an interview with Tuskegee coming up.

My admissions coordinator at Ross said that I need to give them a decision and deposit by February 25th. Upon asking Amy Huang at Tuskegee....their final decisions don't go out until April (she said 15th at the latest).

If I tell Ross that I will attend and pay the deposit, does that mean I am required to go to Ross? Honestly not sure which school I'd prefer because both have their pros and cons. Will the schools look down on me or will it effect my future in the veterinary field if I change my mind and attend Tuskegee?

I know there is the VMCAS policy that prevents schools from demanding applicants make a decision before the April 15th deadline but I believe Ross (as an international school) does not follow this rule??

Any help is greatly appreciated! Hope everyone is saying safe and warm in all this SNOW!! :D

P.S. I apologize if there is already a thread that addresses thing sort of thing. I'm just not a searching guru so I couldn't find one.

Members don't see this ad.

They can't force you to attend, but you also won't be refunded the money if you choose not to. Not sure how much their deposit is but it's worth thinking about. It shouldn't have any effect on their opinions or your future though, it's YOUR decision so it's better to be sure you're making the right one, no one will judge you for that. :)

oh wow! first response! :D thank you!

yea I was told the deposit is about $1000....which isn't cheap. but I figured is a price to pay to pursue a lifelong dream :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I would also contact Tony Wayne at VMCAS to double check to see if Ross can demand a decision this early. I definitely thought they had to give you till the April 15 deadline. I'm pretty sure Tony would get back to you in the next 11 days if you e-mailed him tonight or tomorrow. If it really is the case that they can give you a deadline of February 25, then you have to decide on a 1000 dollar deposit. But if they cannot and you can wait till April 15, then that gives you leeway to make your decision.

I think the reason they can demand a decision is because...
1. this is for the May 2014 class
2. they're an international school

I hadn't thought to email VMCAS though so I will definitely give that a try! Thanks for the advice batsenecal!

I think the reason they can demand a decision is because...
1. this is for the May 2014 class
2. they're an international school

I hadn't thought to email VMCAS though so I will definitely give that a try! Thanks for the advice batsenecal!

Yeah... If it's for the May 2014 class, then they can totally make you commit before the April deadline. You'll lose the $1000 deposit if you choose not to go after paying it, but you're certainly not committed to attending.

wow, this has been such great feedback! and so prompt too!

thank you, Minnerbelle for that info!

I'm in a similar situation. I don't want to lose my spot at Ross and then find out that I didn't get into AVC and be SOL. But May is also super soon. My guy didn't give me a date he just said I need to let him know as soon as possible. But I've also spoken to a girl who didn't find out she was going to a may class until 20 days before the semester. So, I guess as long as there are seats available they will let you come? I'm mostly just annoyed because Ross originally accepted me to their vet prep for September then then called me to offer me the DVM in may. But when I asked about September they told me that I would have to stick with the vet prep. So basically I'm good enough for May but not good enough for September? Ugh. Sorry for the long post. I'm just frustrated and really hoping for good news from AVC.

Omgosh HollyLollipop! That's exactly what happened to me!

So basically I'm guessing that since EVERYONE basically applies for September, that applicant pool was more competitive and there were just enough people who had a better application than me that I didn't make the cut into the DVM program, but for the May class (which is obviously harder for Ross to fill, like the January class), they still have seats so they reviewed a few files from September's Vet Prep who were close to making it to fill those May seats.

I know that puts people like us in a hard spot to decide, but at least they didn't contact us like a week before?? Or the day before? haha (cause I've heard stories of people getting called off waitlists the week classes are supposed to start)

I decided to go ahead and accept the offer (and pay the deposit). We'll see where I end up but at least now I know I have a seat saved for me! Thanks to everyone who responded to help me make that decision! (SDN is so great!)

HollyLollipop, maybe I'll see you at orientation?? heh (of course, if we both end up at Ross!)

HollyLollipop, maybe I'll see you at orientation?? heh (of course, if we both end up at Ross!)

I'm working with my professors right now to see if it would even be possible for me to take my finals early enough to get on the plan to st. Kitts. I'll keep you updated on what I decide!

Hello SDN!

I have been creepily reading this forum for a while now and decided to finally create an account because....I've been accepted to VETERINARY SCHOOL! So I've come to the place where I've gotten such great insights now seeking advice, knowing SDN is a great community.

I have been accepted in Ross' class that starts in May 2014. (woohooo!)

The dilemma I have is....I also have an interview with Tuskegee coming up.

My admissions coordinator at Ross said that I need to give them a decision and deposit by February 25th. Upon asking Amy Huang at Tuskegee....their final decisions don't go out until April (she said 15th at the latest).

If I tell Ross that I will attend and pay the deposit, does that mean I am required to go to Ross? Honestly not sure which school I'd prefer because both have their pros and cons. Will the schools look down on me or will it effect my future in the veterinary field if I change my mind and attend Tuskegee?

I know there is the VMCAS policy that prevents schools from demanding applicants make a decision before the April 15th deadline but I believe Ross (as an international school) does not follow this rule??

Any help is greatly appreciated! Hope everyone is saying safe and warm in all this SNOW!! :D

P.S. I apologize if there is already a thread that addresses thing sort of thing. I'm just not a searching guru so I couldn't find one.

Ross *IS* an international schools *AND* they have rolling admissions which excludes them from having to follow our April 15th Acceptance Policy (as does Tuskegee, bu the way).

Reactions: 1 user