How do you choose a vet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HeartSong

Okstate 2010
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What did you look for when choosing a vet for your pets or what would you look for if you had to find a new vet?

My dogs had a regular vet for several years. It was the largest clinic in town so it was very professional and had a lot of resources, but the vets and all the staff were friendly. Then we moved to a new, much larger city with a clinic just about on every street corner. There are a couple clinics real close to our house but I knew I didn't want to take our dogs there when I applied for jobs there and got to see what the clinic and vets were like. :eek: The clinic I ended up working at I would take my dogs as long as one vet worked on them and not the other. (You get to know way too much about vets after working with them for awhile.) I had my puppy spayed at one clinic that claimed to be a low cost clinic, I won't take any of my dogs back there again.

I think my mom has finally found a vet for the dogs though. She took Ruffles in there when he had an infection from whipworm and they worked on him until he died. They gave Ruffles the best treatments that he could get. She said that the vet was very friendly and was easy to work with. The clinic was clean, professional, yet welcoming. They weren't going to take any more clients but my uncle is a really good client of theirs so they are willing to take us from association. :D

So how about you? What qualities of a clinic do you look for? Do you think these qualities you look for will influence how you are as a vet?

Members don't see this ad.

I look for intelligence, competence, openness with information, and enough intellectual humility so that the doctor isn't afraid to look up what s/he doesn't know off the top of his/her head. Also, I want someone who will look at me as a partner in the animal's care rather than a nuisance to be tolerated.