How do you study during Uro residency? And what resources do you use?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kalf

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! MD graduate here, planning to match for Uro. I was wondering how do residents study during the uro residency? What strategies do the use to cope with the demanding hours in work and studying?
Also, if possible, what resources (textbooks, qbanks, review questions, uptodate, other apps, guidelines and other papers) do most of them use to become the "best" residents", given the fact that time is limited?

Members don't see this ad.

Qstream (version of SASP that gives you MCQs by phone) is pretty good. When I have a few minutes waiting for the patient to get in the OR or anesthesia to wake them up I will bang out a few questions on my smartphone.

Agree with AUA core curriculum, and the AUA update series are helpful to a lesser extent from a test standpoint as well. Campbell's can be hard to stomach, but if you're on research or something and have the time it can be interesting and useful.

Reviewing AUA guidelines is also helpful right before the in-service exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all for your replies!!!! They were to the point, all of them!!! I saw recently the 4 volume set of Campbell's (4903 pages) and freaked out. The Review of Campbell's is a nice aproach to study efficiently. Also the tools that you suggested me are very handy for me. Thank you all, again!

you will likely have access to Campbell's through your program's library or department. Some programs will buy you a copy.

I suggest reading the real Campbells chapters when possible. Just bite off small chunks and it will be easy to read most of the book. I found the best way is to read based on patients I saw and set reasonable goals. Something like 2 chapters a week should be easy. Saw a patient with UPJ obstruction in clinic that day? Read the chapter on UPJO or pyeloplasty that night. Will reinforce and allow you to see the real world application. I still reference it all the time in practice.

Thank you all for your replies! They are welcomed and more than helpful!