This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiniR

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for input on if/how I should be listing an in-progress review article in AMCAS Work and Activities section, writing about it in secondaries, etc. Some info:
  • I am 4th author of 8
  • I created all the figures, did some editing, and filled in holes wherever more information or further review/citations was needed
  • The manuscript has been submitted for review, not yet been accepted
  • I have seen people saying to list not-yet-accepted articles along with one of the research slots, not as a whole new slot for publications. However, in my case my research and this paper are completely unrelated. I had reached out to someone as I was interested in their area of research and they mentioned this lit review they were starting and took me on, so it is completely separate experience from my lab work.
  • I have a second lit review that will soon be submitted for peer review as well, but in a completely different area of research as well. So would I still list the 2 papers together?
I am not trying to fluff myself up or make it seem as though I have done more than I actually have. I understand that accepted or published papers and research-based (as opposed to lit review) are more ideal. But I would simply like to showcase the things I have done (unless omitting entirely is better of course), so I was wondering does this count as publications, and if so, what would be the most appropriate and transparent way to go about displaying them? Thank you for your help in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I am looking for input on if/how I should be listing an in-progress review article in AMCAS Work and Activities section, writing about it in secondaries, etc. Some info:
  • I am 4th author of 8
  • I created all the figures, did some editing, and filled in holes wherever more information or further review/citations was needed
  • The manuscript has been submitted for review, not yet been accepted
  • I have seen people saying to list not-yet-accepted articles along with one of the research slots, not as a whole new slot for publications. However, in my case my research and this paper are completely unrelated. I had reached out to someone as I was interested in their area of research and they mentioned this lit review they were starting and took me on, so it is completely separate experience from my lab work.
  • I have a second lit review that will soon be submitted for peer review as well, but in a completely different area of research as well. So would I still list the 2 papers together?
I am not trying to fluff myself up or make it seem as though I have done more than I actually have. I understand that accepted or published papers and research-based (as opposed to lit review) are more ideal. But I would simply like to showcase the things I have done (unless omitting entirely is better of course), so I was wondering does this count as publications, and if so, what would be the most appropriate and transparent way to go about displaying them? Thank you for your help in advance!
-Omitting mention of the manuscript in review and the manuscript in progress is the best course. You don't know when or if they will be accepted, or by which journals. It may take multiple submissions for them to find a publisher.
-If they are accepted for publication, only then are suited for a Publications space.
-Waiting until you are told of an acceptance and notifying schools that accept updates is recommended.
-If you feel compelled to mention the manuscripts regardless, consider discussing them both in a space tagged "Other" and naming it, perhaps, Science Writing.

Reactions: 4 users
-Omitting mention of the manuscript in review and the manuscript in progress is the best course. You don't know when or if they will be accepted, or by which journals. It may take multiple submissions for them to find a publisher.
-If they are accepted for publication, only then are suited for a Publications space.
-Waiting until you are told of an acceptance and notifying schools that accept updates is recommended.
-If you feel compelled to mention the manuscripts regardless, consider discussing them both in a space tagged "Other" and naming it, perhaps, Science Writing.
Sounds good, that makes sense. Thank you so much for the advice!

Reactions: 1 user