How would you rank these?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMapp2011

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in Hem/Onc. How would you rank these programs based on academic reputation/educational quality?

UCLA-Olive View vs. UT Houston vs. Rush

Members don't see this ad.

How would you guys rank these programs for overall strength of program? I am interested in possibly pursuing a fellowship, but am undecided on which specialty.

Boston University
Yale - New Haven
Brown
UPenn
Cornell
Tufts
University of Chicago
UTSW
Wash U
OSHU

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
I'm interested in Hem/Onc. How would you rank these programs based on academic reputation/educational quality?

UCLA-Olive View vs. UT Houston vs. Rush

UTH > Rush > Olive View

And I like Rush over Olive view because I like improved chances in the "Chicago Market" for fellowship as some big name places (UofChicago, and NWern), as well as the fact that Rush has many in-house fellowships as well.

How would you guys rank these programs for overall strength of program? I am interested in possibly pursuing a fellowship, but am undecided on which specialty.

Boston University
Yale - New Haven
Brown
UPenn
Cornell
Tufts
University of Chicago
UTSW
Wash U
OSHU

Penn > WashU > Cornell = UTSWern = UChicago > OSHU > Yale > Boston > Tufts > Brown

Penn > WashU > Cornell = UChicago = Yale > UTSW > OSHU = Boston > Tufts > Brown

Boston University
Yale - New Haven
Brown
UPenn
Cornell
Tufts
University of Chicago
UTSW
Wash U
OSHU

Penn > WashU = Chicago > UTSW > Cornell > Yale > the rest

Boston University
Yale - New Haven
Brown
UPenn
Cornell
Tufts
University of Chicago
UTSW
Wash U
OSHU

1. It's OHSU

2. Just to prove how subjective these lists are, here's my version:
Penn=WashU>UTSW=Cornell=UofC>OHSU=Yale>Brown>BU>>Tufts

UC Davis
USC
Cedars Sinai
Indiana
Georgetown
Rush

If you move IU to the top of that list, you have a pretty decent rank list. The two LA programs could trade spots depending on whether it's Tuesday or Thursday but otherwise that's about how I'd put them.

Definitely want to do Heme/Onc. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks! (couples matching, so it's a somewhat random list)

UC Davis
USC
Harbor-UCLA
Cedars-Sinai
UC Irvine
Loma Linda
Banner Good Sam
Mayo-Scottsdale
New Mexico
Arkansas
Rush
Miami/Jackson Memorial

Definitely want to do Heme/Onc. Any thoughts are welcome. Thanks! (couples matching, so it's a somewhat random list)

UC Davis
USC
Harbor-UCLA
Cedars-Sinai
UC Irvine
Loma Linda
Banner Good Sam
Mayo-Scottsdale
New Mexico
Arkansas
Rush
Miami/Jackson Memorial

None of those places are onc powerhouses but Davis and UAMS are the best on that list for hem/onc.

None of those places are onc powerhouses but Davis and UAMS are the best on that list for hem/onc.

Ok cool. Thank you!

Without the H/O aspect, how would you rank them just based on IM training in your opinion!

Interested in hem/onc as well.

Wash-U
Mayo-Rochester
Duke
UTSW
OHSU
UCSD
Colorado
Utah
Baylor-Houston
UC-Davis
Cal-Pacific
UC-Irvine
Cedars-Sinai
Harbor-UCLA
Scripps Green
University of Arizona

Any input would be greatly appreciated....thanks all!

Interested in hem/onc as well.

Wash-U
Mayo-Rochester
Duke
UTSW
OHSU
UCSD
Colorado
Utah
Baylor-Houston
UC-Davis
Cal-Pacific
UC-Irvine
Cedars-Sinai
Harbor-UCLA
Scripps Green
University of Arizona

Any input would be greatly appreciated....thanks all!

Nice list. None of them are bad programs by any stretch. Some are certainly stronger than others but they'll all largely do the job to get you a fellowship position somewhere.

I won't rank per se, but put them roughly in quartiles. You can do what you wish with that information.

And remember that no program, no matter how "good" it is will be good for you if you want to kill yourself every day you go to work there. Choose a place you will be happy, then choose based on "strength." I mention that simply because I would not have ranked any of the 3 programs in the "top quartile" below simply because I would not have personally fit well there and as such would not have thrived. I was in a program in one of the groups

Wash-U
Duke
UTSW
-------------------
Mayo-Rochester
OHSU
UCSD
Colorado
Utah
-------------------
Baylor-Houston
UC-Davis
Cedars-Sinai
Cal-Pacific
-------------------
UC-Irvine
Harbor-UCLA
Scripps Green
University of Arizona

I am potentially interested in a cardiology fellowship and want to ascertain the reputation of the following IM programs with respect to one another...

Christiana
University of Maryland
Temple
UPMC
UMDNJ-NJMS
UMDNJ-RWJMS
Jefferson
Drexel
GW
Rush

From what I have gathered:
UPMC>UMD>Jefferson=Temple and obviously Christiana and Drexel fall towards to the bottom but I welcome any corrections to this and opinions. Thanks!

Boston University
Yale - New Haven
Brown
UPenn
Cornell
Tufts
University of Chicago
UTSW
Wash U
OSHU

penn > wash u > utsw = cornell = yale = uchicago > bu > tufts > brown

I am potentially interested in a cardiology fellowship and want to ascertain the reputation of the following IM programs with respect to one another...

Christiana
University of Maryland
Temple
UPMC
UMDNJ-NJMS
UMDNJ-RWJMS
Jefferson
Drexel
GW
Rush

From what I have gathered:
UPMC>UMD>Jefferson=Temple and obviously Christiana and Drexel fall towards to the bottom but I welcome any corrections to this and opinions. Thanks!

You've got a pretty good handle on them. I like my new quartile (or tertile or quintile, depending on the list length) system so here we go...you get tertiles by the way:

UPMC
UMD
RWJMS
--------
Jeff
Temple
NJMS
--------
Drexel
GW
Rush
Christiana