This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pikaboo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So i am a cursed dental student. If you are asking why then let me tell you, I study abroad and my school doesn't have class rank. I am looking to specialize and I think this will put me at a disadvantage when applying to an OMFS program. A- Not an American/Canadian school B- school doesn't have class rank ... Only things going for me are CBSE score, reference letters, and shadowing positions. How can I make this better? What to work on in my resume? and please oh please don't tell me i don't have a chance, i know its hard and i will apply either way #thuglife

Members don't see this ad.

all because I study outside the states?

Since most non ADA or CDA dental schools do not follow a strict CODA approved curriculum, your transcript will have to be verified by a service which will compare your coursework with that of the CODA approved work. Any shortfall may disqualify you. Since many transcripts arrive in a language other than English, this makes the verification process even more difficult. As a PD I have been down this road. Class rank or lack of is not the issue. Lots of US schools are P/F and many do not rank their students.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school's transcript is in English as well as the education since its the UK accredited university but I am not sure of how close our curriculum is to the CODA curriculum. Thanks a lot <3

There are multiple factors working against you.
1. You didn't complete school in the States
2. You are not an American PR/Citizen
3. Very few schools accept international students, and the ones that do accept tend to have completed dental school in the States

Here are the results from the Match last year
https://www.natmatch.com/dentres/stats/2017applstats.pdf

oaymi1.png

Out of the 223 filled positions in OMS, 212 went to American dental schools, 4 went to a Canadian dental school, and 7 went to an international dental school.

Your job now is to find the schools that will accept an international applicant, and impress them.
Here is a program search that should help you into deciding which schools you should apply for:
CASSchoolPages

Some of them will flatly tell you that they won't take in international applicants, so you don't have to waste money applying there.
This search isn't 100% accurate, as some information may be outdated, and the most accurate information will be obtained by emailing the Program coordinator or the program director.

The odds are against you, but if it's your dream, you only need 1 interview to match.

Good luck!

Diploma evaluation is not a big deal, even if it is not in English.
The problem is that most of OMFS programs require 2 year DDS or DMD done in the USA or Canada, I mean accredited program. There you will get your ranking, if it will make you happy.
You are considered a foreign trained dentist and not an international one. Search accordingly

Oh oh no I forgot to mention this but I will do a 2 years program for the DDS/DMD in the states after my last boards exam. The question is with the ranking I will get there am I gonna be competing against people who graduated from the states or internationals, because if I will be considered an American applicant its gonna be much easier for me with my resume. Thanks a lot guys <3