I Don't Know What To Feel

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm going to be a dentist whether it happens now or later.

Members don't see this ad.

Good for you...unfortunately for me, this may be the end of the road as I have exhausted pretty much all my options. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken several courses to raise my gpa (which is still low at about 3.0), I have taken the dat twice, I have applied for two cycles with increased gpa and dat , I applied to 20 schools, I did the shadowing/volunteer work, I got references from some pretty strong sources...

Its best you get an MBA at this point it will not only allow you to enhance your gpa, but will also leave you with back up options, Biology and MBA combo is great!

i was thinking of doing this bc the MBA could obviously help on the business side of having your own practice, BUT will dental schools possibly see this as a backup plan or something like giving up on dental school? i also already did a science masters but didnt perform as well as i should have so i would think the business would be the next option to combine with that science masters....also, what they may not hold the MBA classes as high because theyre not science classes, no?

2pac ..im rooting for u bro...stick with it...we're similar in that we both took the DAT 3 times, a masters that we didnt perform great in and we're both still waiting to hear back from schools :/ good luck n keep ur head up

i was thinking of doing this bc the MBA could obviously help on the business side of having your own practice, BUT will dental schools possibly see this as a backup plan or something like giving up on dental school? i also already did a science masters but didnt perform as well as i should have so i would think the business would be the next option to combine with that science masters....also, what they may not hold the MBA classes as high because theyre not science classes, no?

2pac ..im rooting for u bro...stick with it...we're similar in that we both took the DAT 3 times, a masters that we didnt perform great in and we're both still waiting to hear back from schools :/ good luck n keep ur head up

For sure, let's do this!

While an MBA is nice, but in my personal experience an MBA with no experience is kind of useless.

Good for you...unfortunately for me, this may be the end of the road as I have exhausted pretty much all my options. Good luck!

I have taken several courses to raise my gpa (which is still low at about 3.0), I have taken the dat twice, I have applied for two cycles with increased gpa and dat , I applied to 20 schools, I did the shadowing/volunteer work, I got references from some pretty strong sources...

How about doing an SMP and then reapplying? I think with such a low GPA that might be worth a shot!

I've seen people recommend UMDNJ's SMP for pre-dents, but there are others out there. I think Tufts and BU also have ones. And random other universities.

The reason I say SMP instead of master's is because I think an SMP adds more value than a master's. SMP really is the make-or-break deal. If you do well at an SMP it unequivocally shows that you will succeed in your first year of school (at least academically, because I don't know of any SMP's that allow pre-dental students to do lab stuff), whereas if you don't do well you've practically committed suicide in terms of getting into dental school.

So in that respect, you have to be careful. You can't get a 3.3 in an SMP and expect that to get you in somewhere, but you can get a 3.7+ and have it look awesome on your application!

I can get a 3.7 in my sleep...academics was never my problem...going to class was, but that was me from 18-21. Then I got my act together unfortunately the damage was done. I will look into this option...thank you for the advice

I can get a 3.7 in my sleep...academics was never my problem...going to class was, but that was me from 18-21. Then I got my act together unfortunately the damage was done. I will look into this option...thank you for the advice

Don't give up!

I graduated with a 2.5 bcp and 2.8 cumulative in 2010.
I did not do a smp. But studied hard for the dat and did well on my post bacc classes.
I ended up with couple of acceptances to dental schools this cycle and still have some interviews left.

Don't think the damage is done already!
Anyone can do it if I did it:laugh:

Don't give up!

I graduated with a 2.5 bcp and 2.8 cumulative in 2010.
I did not do a smp. But studied hard for the dat and did well on my post bacc classes.
I ended up with couple of acceptances to dental schools this cycle and still have some interviews left.

Don't think the damage is done already!
Anyone can do it if I did it:laugh:

How did you get interviews with that GPA? Mine is a bit higher than yours, probably the same DAT scores too.

I would highly advise not going for an MBA. This is from experience.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would highly advise not going for an MBA. This is from experience.

+1

You will not get into a respected program without experience or something extraordiary on your resume anyways.

I just looked at some of your older posts. I do think that you should do a post-bac program (if you don't have that many science credits) or masters program (if you have a lot of science credits already) to get that GPA up. Since your sgpa is at a 2.8 I'd probably talk to your predental advisor in terms of whether to keep taking courses to get that to a 3.0 and then an SMP or what. Also, you can go to the post-baccalaureate forum on here...I'm sure people in there are way more knowledgeable than I am, even though I do try my best. :D

Also, SMP's are very rigorous. I'm sure you will be able to do well, but to say you'll be able to get a 3.7+ in your sleep is kind of cocky, no? It's going to be hard and require a lot of sacrifice, especially if you have other real responsibilities (like a family). Also, as I alluded to before, my impression is that if you go to an SMP you're basically doing first year of medical/dental school classes (so you know it'll be damn hard) and it's useless if you get a low GPA (so 3.7+ is probably the lowest that'd be acceptable, but you want that # to be as close to a 4.0 as possible), and therefore it is risky. Also, with your stats (2.8 sgpa, 3.30 ogpa, 18 DAT...right?) you may have to complete the program before anyone will give you a serious look.

I know this thread is pre-medical related, but I think it's a good place to start looking into this: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=346106

Here's also a list that got bumped of pre-dental post-bacc programs, but I'm honestly not sure about the specifics of each program and which would be appropriate in this case. This is something you'll have to look at with an advisor. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=703264

Obviously I'm not an expert, but I think in your case it's definitely worth looking into. Talk to your advisor, though. That person might be in a better position to really know what you should do at this point.

Just don't give up if this is really what you want.

How did you get interviews with that GPA? Mine is a bit higher than yours, probably the same DAT scores too.

Well I did about two years of post bacc plus summer course which added to be about 90 credits with a 4.2 GPA. This brought my overall GPA to a 3.2 and my bcp to a 3.1
I guess the schools looked at my recent grades and gave me the interviews

Well I did about two years of post bacc plus summer course which added to be about 90 credits with a 4.2 GPA. This brought my overall GPA to a 3.2 and my bcp to a 3.1

:thumbup::thumbup:Well done, and congratulations on your acceptances!

Last edited:

That's the spirit. I have about 1 semester to do all of that before I apply again in June.

Listen, you can take this information for what it's worth, but maybe it'll help you gain some perspective. To try and give a quick history, I went to undergrad from 1996-2001 and ended up with a 2.3cGPA and no bachelor's. Came back to school in 2010 and in the past 6 semesters I've completed almost 100 credit hours. I averaged over 18 hours/semester with the exception of this current one and will graduate in a couple days with a cGPA of 3.89. Overall AADSAS-calculated GPA: 2.83. Got rejected immediately by 5 schools because I didn't hit the "magic 3.0" mark.

THE DIFFERENCE:

In the nearly 10 years between my 2 schoolings, I ran and/or owned 3 separate businesses, bought a house, got married and had 2 kids (and a 3rd in summer '10). I've carried almost $500k in debt from buying a business and I paid it all off. I've seen my checking account go from 2 figures to nearly 6 figures and back to 2.

BOTTOM LINE:

I have lived a life and have grown from my experiences. While none of us have the magic eye of being able to see what goes on in ADCOM's, I can tell you that I'm pretty sure if you're a "marginal" applicant, then you need to have something to give you reason for consideration. If you've done a mediocre job in undergrad and have just taken a bunch of classes to up your GPA, was there a specific reason for why you took those classes? Can you explain why you did so poorly in undergrad other than "I was young and dumb?" Because I can tell you, if all you've done since your "young and dumb" time in undergrad, you're probably still young and dumb. Not trying to be harsh, but it's the truth.

My understanding of dental schools is that they don't necessarily want to accept who they think will be good students, they want those who will be good DENTISTS. What good is it to the school if you start their program and then flake out halfway through, or even if you finish their program and then decide to do something else? They gain nothing from you. So if you potentially pose that risk, why would they even want to interview you? Something tells me that it's not your grades or stats that are lacking, but your presentation of yourself. Your grades are mediocre compared to a lot of those that are getting accepted. So what is there in your app that will make an admissions committee want to stop and even give you a second thought? Is there anything? You may be right, all your options may very well be exhausted...for now. So if you really want to be a dentist, what will you do now to make yourself be a better candidate to be a dentist? Why do you want to be a dentist? (And if you've got the same b.s answer of "Oh, well I really want to help people," then you've essentially told ADCOM or your interviewer or whoever that you're in it for the money)

THE CAVEAT:

You may also be applying to the wrong schools. Some schools hate non-trad's. Some love them. But I'm pretty sure none of them really care for the "semi non-trad's." In my opinion, not knowing what your app looks like other than your GPA and scores, you've got to show something that lets an admissions committee see that you've matured and fundamentally changed from the "immature boy" you may have been before. Maybe it hasn't been long enough.

BTW...this is my 2nd cycle applying. Applied to ~17 schools last year, about ~18 this year. Got immediately rejected by 5 and have had 2 more so far. But I got 2 interviews and I received offers from both. There ARE schools that actually examine your application when you send in your app fee. So if EVERYONE is saying no for a second time, then you need to stop and give yourself some serious examination. What do you bring to the table that a dental school would want?

P.S. Also, if your GPA is low or borderline, then I personally believe you need to have some STRONG DAT scores. 22+ should be the lowest you'll accept. You need to show that you have the ability to burn your skin off on the grindstone and score high.

DAT (2011):
QR - 21
BIO - 21
GC - 22
OC - 27
TS - 22
RC - 28
PAT - 25
AA - 24

thats awesome... 4.2 wow.

Listen, you can take this information for what it's worth, but maybe it'll help you gain some perspective. To try and give a quick history, I went to undergrad from 1996-2001 and ended up with a 2.3cGPA and no bachelor's. Came back to school in 2010 and in the past 6 semesters I've completed almost 100 credit hours. I averaged over 18 hours/semester with the exception of this current one and will graduate in a couple days with a cGPA of 3.89. Overall AADSAS-calculated GPA: 2.83. Got rejected immediately by 5 schools because I didn't hit the "magic 3.0" mark.

THE DIFFERENCE:

In the nearly 10 years between my 2 schoolings, I ran and/or owned 3 separate businesses, bought a house, got married and had 2 kids (and a 3rd in summer '10). I've carried almost $500k in debt from buying a business and I paid it all off. I've seen my checking account go from 2 figures to nearly 6 figures and back to 2.

BOTTOM LINE:

I have lived a life and have grown from my experiences. While none of us have the magic eye of being able to see what goes on in ADCOM's, I can tell you that I'm pretty sure if you're a "marginal" applicant, then you need to have something to give you reason for consideration. If you've done a mediocre job in undergrad and have just taken a bunch of classes to up your GPA, was there a specific reason for why you took those classes? Can you explain why you did so poorly in undergrad other than "I was young and dumb?" Because I can tell you, if all you've done since your "young and dumb" time in undergrad, you're probably still young and dumb. Not trying to be harsh, but it's the truth.

My understanding of dental schools is that they don't necessarily want to accept who they think will be good students, they want those who will be good DENTISTS. What good is it to the school if you start their program and then flake out halfway through, or even if you finish their program and then decide to do something else? They gain nothing from you. So if you potentially pose that risk, why would they even want to interview you? Something tells me that it's not your grades or stats that are lacking, but your presentation of yourself. Your grades are mediocre compared to a lot of those that are getting accepted. So what is there in your app that will make an admissions committee want to stop and even give you a second thought? Is there anything? You may be right, all your options may very well be exhausted...for now. So if you really want to be a dentist, what will you do now to make yourself be a better candidate to be a dentist? Why do you want to be a dentist? (And if you've got the same b.s answer of "Oh, well I really want to help people," then you've essentially told ADCOM or your interviewer or whoever that you're in it for the money)

THE CAVEAT:

You may also be applying to the wrong schools. Some schools hate non-trad's. Some love them. But I'm pretty sure none of them really care for the "semi non-trad's." In my opinion, not knowing what your app looks like other than your GPA and scores, you've got to show something that lets an admissions committee see that you've matured and fundamentally changed from the "immature boy" you may have been before. Maybe it hasn't been long enough.

BTW...this is my 2nd cycle applying. Applied to ~17 schools last year, about ~18 this year. Got immediately rejected by 5 and have had 2 more so far. But I got 2 interviews and I received offers from both. There ARE schools that actually examine your application when you send in your app fee. So if EVERYONE is saying no for a second time, then you need to stop and give yourself some serious examination. What do you bring to the table that a dental school would want?

P.S. Also, if your GPA is low or borderline, then I personally believe you need to have some STRONG DAT scores. 22+ should be the lowest you'll accept. You need to show that you have the ability to burn your skin off on the grindstone and score high.

DAT (2011):
QR - 21
BIO - 21
GC - 22
OC - 27
TS - 22
RC - 28
PAT - 25
AA - 24

Congratulations to you as well. You and I share very similar paths, and I can really appreciate what you must have gone through. Both of those programs are top notch. Heck of a happier Christmas than last year, I bet.

Last edited:

THE DIFFERENCE:

BOTTOM LINE:

THE CAVEAT:

DAT (2011):
QR - 21
BIO - 21
GC - 22
OC - 27
TS - 22
RC - 28
PAT - 25
AA - 24

one of the best advice I've read thus far. Congrats on that BOMB DAT (esp your RC), and your acceptances! Too bad, both schools can't have you! :thumbup::thumbup:

How did you find a school that gave out A+'s?

Why is this thread still alive? You don't need advice from us right now. Like you said you still have 15 other schools and this cycle isn't over.

True. Thanks. I just like updating it when I have new information from other schools.

I looked up all the local university and searched online to see if they gave out A+'s lol

Dang...that's some advanced planning right there.

I'm not on an admissions committee, so I obviously don't really know what I'm talking about and take the following with a grain of salt.

This has been a really interested thread to follow. While your desire to become a dentist is pretty apparent, it's obvious you're missing something or else you would have been accepted in youe previous attempts. I agree with tommyinVA, with borderline grades you really have to have something shine in your application and yes while the DAT is important I don't think that in it of itself can be your saving grace. Multiple application cycles don't show passion or maturity. It might show some determination and a little bit of hard-headed ness, but maybe taking a break from applying to dental school might help you. Try to show some growth in other areas of your life. I think that takes a bit of time and isn't going to be accomplished in the time between consecutive applications. With borderline grades, I think it's really important to show the admissions committees that you're worth the risk. That you can plan something big/important and carry it through. You see non-trads who have started business or are raising families. You read about people who really dedicated themselves and killed their masters. These things demonstrate that WOW factor that may forgive modest undergrad GPAs; these things are the ones that demonstrate gumption/grit/whatever-you-want-to-call-it and provide some evidence that the applicant will do anything to succeed when the path is difficult. Their struggle wasn't just merely trying to get into dental school, and I think we can't discount that.

I'm not saying you should give up on your dream of becoming a dentist. I think your story has the potential to be pretty inspiring. Not sure if you've been applying every cycle since you first tried, but I guess what my point is is that you should perhaps take a step back and appreciate a bigger picture. That there is more to life than just getting into dental school. And if life runs its course and leads you back to dentistry, then all the better. If not, then you probably found something more worthy of your effort.

My story: poor undergrad grades but naively applied to dental schools --> rejected --> went to grad school and fell in love with what I did (granted it ended up being dental related) --> applied to dental schools again --> going to dental school this fall

I decided to re-apply because I fell in love with something about dentistry. I really committed myself to my thesis work (that was dental related), worked with other researchers on other dental related stuff, ended up becoming a research associate in dental research. Found out that asking question and piece-ing together evidence to answer that question really excites me. In my PS and interviews, I had a plan of how dental school was going to help me accomplish my goals and pointed to my recent track record of success. Research, I mean the kind where you are the one asking questions (not the guy washing dishes and calling it "research") is hard. It takes patience. It takes creativity. Sticking with something from start to finish, where you take ownership each step of the way. I really learned a lot about myself struggling in lab to piece together a story of why some people get cavities or how bacteria invades gingival tissue. And now that I'm thinking about it, it probably wasn't the research that set me apart from other applicants this cycle so much as it was what I learned from research and how that changed me into something a little closer to an adult.

As I said, I hope you get into dental school. You obviously want it pretty bad. BUT more importantly, I really hope you find something other than just merely getting into dental school that motivates you and makes you excited to get out of bed each morning. I think you will find that if you don't but get into dental school, that life really isn't really all that it was cracked up to be.

Best of luck, bro.

Last edited:
I was partly kidding. All the schools I've attended gave A+
why are you so desperate to be a dentist? is there really nothing else you're interested in? like others have said you probably have a shot in the spring. doing another masters or a postbacc at this point is a waste of $$$ and time.

Point estimate your text is truly inspirational! Congratulations on your achievements and growth! 2pac wish you all the best buddy!

UPDATE: I got an interview guys! I can't say when or where for privacy purposes but I feel super happy!

eatcrow.jpg

Yummy...

Congrats, good luck and happy new year!

UPDATE: I got an interview guys! I can't say when or where for privacy purposes but I feel super happy!

I looked up all the local university and searched online to see if they gave out A+'s lol

I did the same before I started my post-bacc and figured out that my local universities don't give out A+'s. And neither does the school I'll be attending if I move. Oh well.

Dang...that's some advanced planning right there.

You do what you have to do. 4.333 raises the GPA more than a 4.0 does. :thumbup:

I'm not on an admissions committee, so I obviously don't really know what I'm talking about and take the following with a grain of salt.

This has been a really interested thread to follow. While your desire to become a dentist is pretty apparent, it's obvious you're missing something or else you would have been accepted in youe previous attempts. I agree with tommyinVA, with borderline grades you really have to have something shine in your application and yes while the DAT is important I don't think that in it of itself can be your saving grace. Multiple application cycles don't show passion or maturity. It might show some determination and a little bit of hard-headed ness, but maybe taking a break from applying to dental school might help you. Try to show some growth in other areas of your life. I think that takes a bit of time and isn't going to be accomplished in the time between consecutive applications. With borderline grades, I think it's really important to show the admissions committees that you're worth the risk. That you can plan something big/important and carry it through. You see non-trads who have started business or are raising families. You read about people who really dedicated themselves and killed their masters. These things demonstrate that WOW factor that may forgive modest undergrad GPAs; these things are the ones that demonstrate gumption/grit/whatever-you-want-to-call-it and provide some evidence that the applicant will do anything to succeed when the path is difficult. Their struggle wasn't just merely trying to get into dental school, and I think we can't discount that.

I'm not saying you should give up on your dream of becoming a dentist. I think your story has the potential to be pretty inspiring. Not sure if you've been applying every cycle since you first tried, but I guess what my point is is that you should perhaps take a step back and appreciate a bigger picture. That there is more to life than just getting into dental school. And if life runs its course and leads you back to dentistry, then all the better. If not, then you probably found something more worthy of your effort.

My story: poor undergrad grades but naively applied to dental schools --> rejected --> went to grad school and fell in love with what I did (granted it ended up being dental related) --> applied to dental schools again --> going to dental school this fall

I decided to re-apply because I fell in love with something about dentistry. I really committed myself to my thesis work (that was dental related), worked with other researchers on other dental related stuff, ended up becoming a research associate in dental research. Found out that asking question and piece-ing together evidence to answer that question really excites me. In my PS and interviews, I had a plan of how dental school was going to help me accomplish my goals and pointed to my recent track record of success. Research, I mean the kind where you are the one asking questions (not the guy washing dishes and calling it "research") is hard. It takes patience. It takes creativity. Sticking with something from start to finish, where you take ownership each step of the way. I really learned a lot about myself struggling in lab to piece together a story of why some people get cavities or how bacteria invades gingival tissue. And now that I'm thinking about it, it probably wasn't the research that set me apart from other applicants this cycle so much as it was what I learned from research and how that changed me into something a little closer to an adult.

As I said, I hope you get into dental school. You obviously want it pretty bad. BUT more importantly, I really hope you find something other than just merely getting into dental school that motivates you and makes you excited to get out of bed each morning. I think you will find that if you don't but get into dental school, that life really isn't really all that it was cracked up to be.

Best of luck, bro.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

This was amazingly inspirational to read. Congrats!

Congrats! I hope it goes well!

I actually don't get the meaning behind the picture.

For starters, congratulations!!!

To answer your question, I'm guessing he is trying to say that he is "eating a crow" which is his way of saying he was wrong in speculating that you would never get an interview. Now finish the job off, nail that interview, and get into d-school.