This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeepingUpWithK

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I switched my major from Nursing to Biology my sophomore year because I realized that I wanted to become a Dentist. I'm now a Junior and have a 2.5 which is really eating me up because I really feel like I'm not pushing myself hard enough. Not to mention since I've had poor advisors in the past that I'm now stuck with taking science courses. Can someone please any dentist or person who has been through a similar situation or even a person who gives great advice tell me what should I do I cannot sleep at night due to this

Members don't see this ad.

How have your advisors failed you exactly? Are you going to end up taking an extra year? If so, I would look at it as a blessing in disguise giving you an extra year to stick in some more extracurricular activity...

If your worried about your GPA, I would give this a read: Anyone accepted with a GPA 3.2 or below?

Know that you are fighting an uphill battle.....

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm not sure if I read this right but if I did, it seems like all you have left are science courses. If that's so, then I'd focus on making your science GPA as high as you possibly can. If your overall GPA is going to be subpar, at least your sGPA can still be good and you can also work hard and score well on your DAT!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
How have your advisors failed you exactly? Are you going to end up taking an extra year? If so, I would look at it as a blessing in disguise giving you an extra year to stick in some more extracurricular activity...

If your worried about your GPA, I would give this a read: Anyone accepted with a GPA 3.2 or below?

Know that you are fighting an uphill battle.....
Thank you so much!

I'm not sure if I read this right but if I did, it seems like all you have left are science courses. If that's so, then I'd focus on making your science GPA as high as you possibly can. If your overall GPA is going to be subpar, at least your sGPA can still be good and you can also work hard and score well on your DAT!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Yes that's exactly what I meant and thank you I will focus on that

you don't need to be a biology major to go to dental school!
Biology is hard, and your gpa will go lower, choose an easier program to make your gpa higher
your gpa is very low
with a biology major, it will be lower
That is a fact based your past performance.

Change your major, choose a business or psychology or something easy
Get all A's
then get A's in all the dental pre-requisites
Then apply to dental schools after 3 years.

If you say I'll be old by then I'll jump from the balcony, people in their 50's are applying to dental schools.

Dental schools require time and sacrifice, if it's your dream, you can't jump from 2.5 to 3.5 in 2 years
you need 3 years

don't change to sociology though, it's hard.

you don't need to be a biology major to go to dental school!
Biology is hard, and your gpa will go lower, choose an easier program to make your gpa higher
your gpa is very low
with a biology major, it will be lower
That is a fact based your past performance.

Change your major, choose a business or psychology or something easy
Get all A's
then get A's in all the dental pre-requisites
Then apply to dental schools after 3 years.

If you say I'll be old by then I'll jump from the balcony, people in their 50's are applying to dental schools.

Dental schools require time and sacrifice, if it's your dream, you can't jump from 2.5 to 3.5 in 2 years
you need 3 years

don't change to sociology though, it's hard.
Gotcha thanks