I need some advice on becoming a Physician...?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jfisher23

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Nursing major studying at a Cal State in Southern California. I already understand that Nursing is a terrible major to go in as a pre-med, but I just realized now that I wanted to become a Physician while I was on a humanitarian aid mission because I love solving puzzles, analyzing, and to critically think to make a decision in the field of medicine. Despite my efforts of attempting to change my major to Biochemistry/Chemistry/Biology, the admissions will not allow a junior to change majors due to the severe budget cuts in the state of California. So, it seems as if I am stuck in this major for now and there is really no other way of getting around this. I find the Nursing model and process very counterproductive to becoming a Physician.

I have a year and a half left of the BSN program. My parents (who were Physicians before their new career) have stated for me to continue on with the program since I only have a year and a half left and take as many as the pre-requisites (general, organic chemistry, calculus, physics, and bio) as I can before I graduate along with my Nursing curriculum. I plan to take some courses at a CC during the summer to save up on cost; however, they specifically informed me not to take any chemistry courses at a community college, but everything else would be fine at a CC. They also advised me NOT to enroll in a post baccalaureate program because they are expensive and long. Their advice was simply try to finish half of the pre-requisites at my current university and finish the other half following graduation.

Aside from the pre-requisites, what else should I be focusing on? Volunteering? Research? Shadowing physicians? Work on letters of recommendations from professors? I don't plan on fully studying for the MCAT until graduation.

Honestly, I don't think I'll have time to do much of this because I have clinicals and lots of studying for my Nursing courses. Remember, I can't just drop my Nursing courses, their set in a structured sequence for students to take. Any other advice?

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a Nursing major studying at a Cal State in Southern California. I already understand that Nursing is a terrible major to go in as a pre-med, but I just realized now that I wanted to become a Physician while I was on a humanitarian aid mission because I love solving puzzles, analyzing, and to critically think to make a decision in the field of medicine. Despite my efforts of attempting to change my major to Biochemistry/Chemistry/Biology, the admissions will not allow a junior to change majors due to the severe budget cuts in the state of California. So, it seems as if I am stuck in this major for now and there is really no other way of getting around this. I find the Nursing model and process very counterproductive to becoming a Physician.

I have a year and a half left of the BSN program. My parents (who were Physicians before their new career) have stated for me to continue on with the program since I only have a year and a half left and take as many as the pre-requisites (general, organic chemistry, calculus, physics, and bio) as I can before I graduate along with my Nursing curriculum. I plan to take some courses at a CC during the summer to save up on cost; however, they specifically informed me not to take any chemistry courses at a community college, but everything else would be fine at a CC. They also advised me NOT to enroll in a post baccalaureate program because they are expensive and long. Their advice was simply try to finish half of the pre-requisites at my current university and finish the other half following graduation.

Aside from the pre-requisites, what else should I be focusing on? Volunteering? Research? Shadowing physicians? Work on letters of recommendations from professors? I don't plan on fully studying for the MCAT until graduation.

Honestly, I don't think I'll have time to do much of this because I have clinicals and lots of studying for my Nursing courses. Remember, I can't just drop my Nursing courses, their set in a structured sequence for students to take. Any other advice?

Work on the bolded and get pre-reqs done. Study for the MCAT when you have sufficient time (i.e. 2-3 months of intensive studying). Find something healthcare related during your time off between graduation and matriculation to med school that shows how badly you want to be a doctor. Gaps do not generally bode well with admissions committees so find something productive to do that will bolster your CV. Otherwise, as long as you have the grades, MCAT scores, and ECs you will shape up to be a good non-traditional applicant. Good luck!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.