2018-2019 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you mind if I ask where you're choosing to attend instead?
I’ll be going to Penn! Loved the students and Philly. Feels like a better fit.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
If anyone could answer a couple of questions regarding grading it would be very helpful!!

1. Are pre clinicals pass fail?
2. Is there internal ranking in pre clinical?
3. How are clerkships graded?

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone could answer a couple of questions regarding grading it would be very helpful!!

Also I am wondering how often students are tested in the preclinical phase?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, does anyone know how long Columbia students get for Step 1 dedicated study time? I couldn't find it on the website.

Also I am wondering how often students are tested in the preclinical phase?
Also, does anyone know how long Columbia students get for Step 1 dedicated study time? I couldn't find it on the website.

Going to answer these to my best ability. Note I’m not a current student, just an accepted one.

1. Yes, pass/fail preclinicals.
2. No internal ranking.
3. There is honors for clerkships I think, with more distinctions than pass/fail (for example, there is high pass). I think.

From what I understood from second look, tests are every 4 weeks, and exams are all online over the weekend.

You get 2 months of dedicated time to study for Step 1. It is on the curriculum map on their website.

Going to answer these to my best ability. Note I’m not a current student, just an accepted one.

1. Yes, pass/fail preclinicals.
2. No internal ranking.
3. There is honors for clerkships I think, with more distinctions than pass/fail (for example, there is high pass). I think.

From what I understood from second look, tests are every 4 weeks, and exams are all online over the weekend.

You get 2 months of dedicated time to study for Step 1. It is on the curriculum map on their website.
why are exams on weekends?

why are exams on weekends?
Maybe a current student can clarify, but I think you basically have the whole weekend to take the exam as you see fit, so you can take it on Friday and have the weekend off or if you're behind on studying, study the whole weekend and take it Sunday

Maybe a current student can clarify, but I think you basically have the whole weekend to take the exam as you see fit, so you can take it on Friday and have the weekend off or if you're behind on studying, study the whole weekend and take it Sunday

This. My tour guide said a friend of hers left on a Thursday before break and took the exam on Friday on his laptop in the ski lodge.

Did any other accepted students lose the "Admissions Decision" tab on the portal? It's not there for me anymore.

If we are currently on the WL and have acceptances to other schools, what option should we be choosing tomorrow?

If we are currently on the WL and have acceptances to other schools, what option should we be choosing tomorrow?
I think you're still supposed to choose "plan to enroll" at the place you're accepted and currently plan to attend. "Commit to enroll" will become available tomorrow, but you shouldn't do that just yet if you're still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you're still supposed to choose "plan to enroll" at the place you're accepted and currently plan to attend. "Commit to enroll" will become available tomorrow, but you shouldn't do that just yet if you're still waiting.
^this

Ok thanks!

Does waitlist movement typically occur a week after the April 30th deadline?

hey guys! this is such an insignificant question, but can anyone tell me what kind of swag I missed out on by not attending revisit weekend? (also good luck to anyone hoping for waitlist movement tomorrow!)

hey guys! this is such an insignificant question, but can anyone tell me what kind of swag I missed out on by not attending revisit weekend? (also good luck to anyone hoping for waitlist movement tomorrow!)

You missed out on a bag that could theoretically be used for groceries (but has started to break for me) and a water bottle that looks like something you'd get at a kids' summer camp. So, not much :laugh: I think the biggest hit for me was the food on the first night

Reactions: 1 users
You missed out on a bag that could theoretically be used for groceries (but has started to break for me) and a water bottle that looks like something you'd get at a kids' summer camp. So, not much :laugh: I think the biggest hit for me was the food on the first night
Hey man, that pen was the best I've seen. Definitely sealed the deal lol

just withdrew my acceptance, good luck to everyone on the waitlist!!

Reactions: 9 users
Does anyone know when our financial aid gets disbursed? Can't seem to find it on the website.

For anyone who was accepted to Columbia-Basset: did you have a lot of research experience and is a lot of research experience likely to hurt admissions for this program? I know they are not interested in physician scientists and that's not the angle that I would try to present in my application but seeing my application with little involvement in rural communities, but a lot of involvement in research as well as underserved urban communities, is it worthwhile to apply to this program? I wouldn't want to reduce my chances overall at the NYC program if I'm not likely to be accepted for Bassett, even though I am interested in studying at Cooperstown.

For anyone who was accepted to Columbia-Basset: did you have a lot of research experience and is a lot of research experience likely to hurt admissions for this program? I know they are not interested in physician scientists and that's not the angle that I would try to present in my application but seeing my application with little involvement in rural communities, but a lot of involvement in research as well as underserved urban communities, is it worthwhile to apply to this program? I wouldn't want to reduce my chances overall at the NYC program if I'm not likely to be accepted for Bassett, even though I am interested in studying at Cooperstown.

If you’re interested in learning in a small community, having a longitudinal panel of patients during clerkships, and getting a sense of how a single healthcare institution is run I think it is worthwhile to apply and won’t hurt your chances of getting into the school even if you’re rejected from Bassett.

I was rejected at Bassette but invited to interview at the NYC program in the same email. They might just not think you're a good fit for bassette, it won't affect your NYC chances at all.

I was rejected at Bassette but invited to interview at the NYC program in the same email. They might just not think you're a good fit for bassette, it won't affect your NYC chances at all.
As I understood, it's kind of like applying MD/PhD where if youre rejected from that pool, you're sent to the MD pool but later in the cycle and thus at a disadvantage.

As I understood, it's kind of like applying MD/PhD where if youre rejected from that pool, you're sent to the MD pool but later in the cycle and thus at a disadvantage.

Hmmm maybe, but i interviewed in November (got the interview invite much earlier, like around September time i think but couldn't fit any days until then). Not sure how late that is in terms of the rest of the cycle. Especially since they're non rolling admissions.

Got to say, Bassette has a lot more of an elegant ring to it than Basset ;)

This doesn’t apply to Columbia because they don’t do rolling admissions.

I interviewed in December, for reference.

Maybe WL movement starts today... Good luck everyone :,)

Reactions: 7 users
Is there any history of applicants having been accepted off Columbia's waitlist and been given a merit scholarship?

I know for some schools (ex: WashU) this is not unheard of

Is there any history of applicants having been accepted off Columbia's waitlist and been given a merit scholarship?

There is barely a history of Columbia giving merit scholarships to students accepted outright.

They give very few merit scholarships, so it's unlikely, but I would think not impossible

WL call 2 days ago--and, this is a strange thing to admit on such a public board because it will be apparent to future classmates or administrators who I am, but it was for Bassett! That's why I didn't post at first. I don't think the timing means anything for people who are angling for the main student pool. (Which I was prepared to stay on the waitlist for through July, by the way.)

Still processing the news because I am wildly overjoyed and cannot believe my good fortune. Sending all my happiness out to the people here who are still waiting for good news!!!

(...I really want that accepted students group link if anyone has it, thanxx xoxo)

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Also got the WL call 2 days ago! Still trying to make a final decision, but 80% set on Columbia. (If someone could hmu with that accepted students group link that would be dope)

Also got the WL call 2 days ago! Still trying to make a final decision, but 80% set on Columbia. (If someone could hmu with that accepted students group link that would be dope)
Huge congrats!! were you also WL at Bassett?

Does anyone have a sense for waitlist movement here for regular MD? I know it’s neurotic, but just curious. One person above heard from them so I wonder if they extended numerous offers a couple days ago or if they’re trickling out.

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have a sense for waitlist movement here for regular MD? I know it’s neurotic, but just curious. One person above heard from them so I wonder if they extended numerous offers a couple days ago or if they’re trickling out.

Either the non-Basset person is trolling or they were at the absolute top of the waitlist and it was a quick and easy decision for columbia

Traditionally, Columbia tends to extend offers in a batch on May 7th or May 8th.

Reactions: 6 users
Either the non-Basset person is trolling or they were at the absolute top of the waitlist and it was a quick and easy decision for columbia

Traditionally, Columbia tends to extend offers in a batch on May 7th or May 8th.
totally not going to pencil those dates into my calendar...

Reactions: 5 users

Why those specific dates out of curiosity?

Why those specific dates out of curiosity?

Im guessing because it takes about a week to review candidates after April 30th

They probably want to keep roughly the same gpa, mcat, ethnic, and etc. in their class profile.

I just accepted my offer btw, so hope to see some of you guys in the fall! Also just to shed some light, I got the call on April 30th, so I'm guessing they were just trying to fill up a spot that opened up prior to the major shift.

Reactions: 4 users
I just accepted my offer btw, so hope to see some of you guys in the fall! Also just to shed some light, I got the call on April 30th, so I'm guessing they were just trying to fill up a spot that opened up prior to the major shift.
Did you receive an email between the time you were put on waitlist and when you were accepted ?

Did you receive an email between the time you were put on waitlist and when you were accepted ?
I received an email saying there was a status update on my portal the day I got the call, but other than that I don't think so