2018-2019 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey @labscience you’re totally right. I don’t get to tell you how to feel, and had I received that email it would have hurt a lot. That was a tone deaf thing for me to write.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 10 users
Hey @labscience you’re totally right. I don’t get to tell you how to feel, and had I received that email it would have hurt a lot. That was a tone deaf thing for me to write.

Hey, thanks for your apology. No worries! I wasn't expecting that much from this WL anyway given how competitive the school is and I've already signed a lease for my PTE school, I was just shaken by how strongly the email was worded. Congrats on your A and good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Hey, thanks for your apology. No worries! I wasn't expecting that much from this WL anyway given how competitive the school is and I've already signed a lease for my PTE school, I was just shaken by how strongly the email was worded. Congrats on your A and good luck!

This thread took an oddly wholesome turn. I love it.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Good news everyone! Just got a call from one of my itnerviewers to congratulate me, asked about further WL movement (said "best friend" was on WL also) — they said they expect to roll out some more calls throughout this week so keep hope!!!

Reactions: 6 users
Good news everyone! Just got a call from one of my itnerviewers to congratulate me, asked about further WL movement (said "best friend" was on WL also) — they said they expect to roll out some more calls throughout this week so keep hope!!!
Congrats! Wow, this has a strikingly different tone than the email sent yesterday lol.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone know how long it takes to get added to the accepted students Facebook group?

Praying to the gods for some waitlist movement, the wait is killing me :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
A rejection would be nice. Im happy with where I'll be matriculating, but I'd like some closure

Does anyone have a faint idea of when we may hear about further waitlist movement? Such as other schools acceptance deadlines etc. ?

For all of you that got an II/W/A ... first congrats!
I was wondering if y'all could share insight into how you formatted this collegiate extracurriculars thing? If I have a lot, so I'm not sure if I should just name them and put hours or put dates instead or ...?

For all of you that got an II/W/A ... first congrats!
I was wondering if y'all could share insight into how you formatted this collegiate extracurriculars thing? If I have a lot, so I'm not sure if I should just name them and put hours or put dates instead or ...?
I took collegiate to mean university affiliated so I just listed my most significant on campus activities in 3-4 complete sentences. Everything was already in my W/A so I didn't add dates or anything like that. Really a pretty meaningless section but I guess it can be nice if you didn't include everything in your primary. It also gives a snapshot your campus presence which I think is what they're going for since Columbia is so big on extracurricular involvement during med school

Does any brave soul want to call admissions to ask about a waitlist movement update? :D

I called yesterday (coincidentally) and the response was "the class is full" which should not be a surprise at this point. I did not, however, inquire about specifics such as "percent of class that is CTE", so maybe if someone wants to do that?

But yeah, "the class is full"

Reactions: 3 users
I finally got the axe. Sad, but expected. Best of luck to those of you that got accepted and to those that still remain on the wait list!

I finally got the axe. Sad, but expected. Best of luck to those of you that got accepted and to those that still remain on the wait list!
Sorry to hear that! Do you mind if I ask what email you got on the waitlist division? Just wondering who they are sending those out to.

Sorry to hear that! Do you mind if I ask what email you got on the waitlist division? Just wondering who they are sending those out to.

I got a rejection from the waitlist earlier and also got another rejection today

I got a rejection from the waitlist earlier and also got another rejection today
For the first rejection you're talking about, do you mean the "essentially zero chance" e-mail, or was it a legitimate rejection the first time? Because I don't remember seeing anyone being 100% rejected before this

No problem. I got the "essentially zero chance" e-mail. So I was basically rejected earlier, but now they made it official.

Uhhh... I just got an email saying this:

"SUBJECT: Columbia University: Access to Columbia VP&S 2018-19 Application

Dear fling105,

Now that the new admissions cycle has begun, you can access your 2018-19 application by using the link below. Your username and password have not changed. If you have any issues while accessing the site, please let us know.

2018-19 VP&S Application

Sincerely,
VP&S Admissions"

I've been on the waitlist (and I think I still am?)

Dear fling105,

Now that the new admissions cycle has begun, you can access your 2018-19 application by using the link below. Your username and password have not changed. If you have any issues while accessing the site, please let us know.

2018-19 VP&S Application

Sincerely,
VP&S Admissions"

Sounds like it's just a new portal link no? I bet if you try the old one it only works for the 2019-20 applications now

Dear fling105,

2018-19 VP&S Application

Sincerely,
VP&S Admissions"

I think they sent this to everybody.

Any idea what you should do if you are currently on the waitlist but have a CTE deadline coming up for another school? Thanks!

Is the CTE non-binding if there is waitlist movement?

CTE is binding. Once you commit to enroll at a school, you withdraw your candidacy from every other school, including the ones you are waitlisted at. By clicking “Commit to Enroll” on AMCAS, every school you have an active application at is notified. So they’ll remove you from their waitlist automatically

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I know hope might seem bleak for those still on the waitlist but there’s still movement! Quite a few people have been added to the FB group the past week.

Hey guys I know hope might seem bleak for those still on the waitlist but there’s still movement! Quite a few people have been added to the FB group the past week.
Fingers crossed! Thanks for letting us know! Hoping for the best.

Does anyone who’s spoken to a current student know if Columbia gives out any study aids? I know some schools give their students copies of first aid, uworld, etc

(Also, good luck to those waiting to hear back from the waitlist!!)

I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday! It didn't sound like the dean was planning to take anybody else off the waitlist :(

I was accepted off the waitlist yesterday! It didn't sound like the dean was planning to take anybody else off the waitlist :(
First off, congratulations! Secondly, out of curiosity, were you already CTE'd to a school before they offered you a spot, or had your CTE date not passed yet?