2018-2019 Columbia University Vagelos College of Physicians and Surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can any admitted students say whether or not the FB group has been growing? Wondering if they are accepting people not on here

Members don't see this ad.

Can any admitted students say whether or not the FB group has been growing? Wondering if they are accepting people not on here
It has been growing. There have been around 7 new students to the FB group; 2 of those look like they are already VP&S students.

Reactions: 2 users
It has been growing. There have been around 7 new students to the FB group; 2 of those look like they are already VP&S students.

So 5 new students in the past few hours? Or could this have occurred with the Bassette acceptances (a week ago)?

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone willing to call admissions office and ask about wait list movement?

I'm too much of a coward. Lol

Reactions: 1 users
I called and they said it depends on what the admitted students decide so it is hard for the them to advise on movement. I'm not really understanding these new traffic rules I guess

Reactions: 1 user
I called and they said it depends on what the admitted students decide so it is hard for the them to advise on movement. I'm not really understanding these new traffic rules I guess

well that sucks. It sounds like most of their acceptees have put "plan to enroll" instead of "commit to enroll" I guess. I guess harvard and hopkins need to do poor saps like me a solid and admit some of these people holding acceptances who are WL'ed at other T10s lol

This is going to be a long drawn out process my friends...

So do they not expect movement until students select commit to enroll? That seems strange.

So do they not expect movement until students select commit to enroll? That seems strange.
I don't think any school really knows whether or not students who are planning to enroll will actually attend until they either commit to enroll or withdraw their acceptance. Until people decide we wait :help:

I don't think any school really knows whether or not students who are planning to enroll will actually attend until they either commit to enroll or withdraw their acceptance. Until people decide we wait :help:
But I guess I thought the point of April 30 was that so everyone has one acceptance? Then after that, if you’re off a waitlist you have a week or two to then pick between those two and plan to enroll at whichever one. Are you saying schools don’t think students are abiding by this?

But I guess I thought the point of April 30 was that so everyone has one acceptance? Then after that, if you’re off a waitlist you have a week or two to then pick between those two and plan to enroll at whichever one. Are you saying schools don’t think students are abiding by this?

I thought so too. I just think maybe "plan to enroll" is not enough for these schools to be convinced of their student count and are reluctant to pull from the waitlists because they don't know how many plan to enroll people will go elsewhere from WLs or stay at their school (but I could be wrong)

It sounds like the t10s are in a huge standoff seeing who will pull from their WL first haha, someone has to pull the trigger and then hopefully there'll be a domino effect and people will begin to commit

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It sounds like the t10s are in a huge standoff seeing who will pull from their WL first haha, someone has to pull the trigger and then hopefully there'll be a domino effect and people will begin to commit

It also could be the case that these top 10s predicted their yields very accurately. Because practically speaking, if they were pretty far off from reality they would need to accept at least some to have a full class. I’d think they would want to have a full class at least “planned to enroll” and then if a few minor changes occur they’ll deal with those cases as they come.

I suppose we still may see the significant movement a lot of us expected, but there’s also the chance that movement will simply be minimal as these places predicted yield well and are already more or less sitting on X “plan to enroll students” for an X size class. Who knows...

It also could be the case that these top 10s predicted their yields very accurately. Because practically speaking, if they were pretty far off from reality they would need to accept at least some to have a full class. I’d think they would want to have a full class at least “planned to enroll” and then if a few minor changes occur they’ll deal with those cases as they come.

I suppose we still may see the significant movement a lot of us expected, but there’s also the chance that movement will simply be minimal as these places predicted yield well and are already more or less sitting on X “plan to enroll students” for an X size class. Who knows...

very true... I've been minimizing this theory for the sake of my own optimism though :p

very true... I've been minimizing this theory for the sake of my own optimism though :p

Haha I totally feel you. I just like exploring the possibilities. Here’s another one: maybe Harvard and Hopkins both have 10 spots to fill but simply haven’t gotten around to extending those offers and that’s going to happen tomorrow. Then some Columbia “plan to enroll”ers are going to flip to those schools. Or maybe Columbia is still 10 short of a full class and just hasn’t yet made the calls to the waitlisted students they’re planning to accept. Just wish we could see into the black box.

Keep in mind that a lot of top 10 schools lose people to state school... they could be waiting on that too

Did you specifically ask about WL movement this week? or WL movement in general?

Got the call off the waitlist today. Haven’t posted before but have been following this thread. So movement is begining and hopefully some more people get in!

Reactions: 7 users
Any more updates on waitlist movement?

I just called admissions they said their class is currently full but they are keeping the wait list open just in case.

• Sad
I just called admissions they said their class is currently full but they are keeping the wait list open just in case.

"currently full" may mean half the class is still PTE instead of CTE though, so I'm not sure how confidently they can say that based on what other adcoms here have said

Would any current PTE students care to comment on if they are waiting on WL offers from their state school or a “preferable” private school?

It makes a big difference in terms of wait list movement.

lmao did any other waitlisters just get that absolutely brutal email? they're really going out with a bang

Reactions: 6 users
I just got it too. Damn, that stung

Don’t know what the email said, but yeah, Columbia yield seems like it’s going to be super high this year (and probably from now on) with their very generous financial aid system.

It would be nice to know if anyone didn't receive it....

or if this was just Columbia telling us (specifically) to **** off

When the adcoms say there's "essentially" no chance.

Last edited:
Blunt, yes, but brutal? Brutal is letting people languish on the WL until the school year starts, letting those students second guess everything they do, not cutting those people loose to sign leases with confidence and start really imagining themselves at the school they will really attend.

Blunt, yes, but brutal? Brutal is letting people languish on the WL until the school year starts, letting those students second guess everything they do, not cutting those people loose to sign leases with confidence and start really imagining themselves at the school they will really attend.

bro don't tell me what is and isn't brutal when you got an A from Columbia lol

Reactions: 8 users
It would be nice to know if anyone didn't receive it....

or if this was just Columbia telling us (specifically) to **** off

Some people got "high priority" notifications, rooting for them!

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah I got a high priority email... I guess now they officially narrowed it down? I didn't think there would be an interally ranked waitlist... Damn lol

Yeah I got a high priority email... I guess now they officially narrowed it down? I didn't think there would be an interally ranked waitlist... Damn lol

Can you post with name redacted?

Can you post with name redacted?

We greatly appreciate your continuing interest in VP&S.

Withdrawals seem to be coming in somewhat later this year than last. Although we do not know how things will go in the weeks that remain, you are among a small group of particularly highly rated applicants on our waitlist. Please be assured that we will keep you under very active consideration. We do understand the stress of this entire process.

Thank you for your patience.

So apparently there are 3 emails going around: 1 email saying there was no chance, 1 email saying that you have a chance, and 1 email saying that you have a "good" chance

We greatly appreciate your continuing interest in VP&S.

Withdrawals seem to be coming in somewhat later this year than last. Although we do not know how things will go in the weeks that remain, you are among a small group of particularly highly rated applicants on our waitlist. Please be assured that we will keep you under very active consideration. We do understand the stress of this entire process.

Thank you for your patience.
There’s another email too that’s difference than the “no chance” one. So that makes 3 different emails so far.

Does any brave soul want to call Columbia and see if they can say about how many people are in the two remaining waitlists?

Anyone know what the third email said? Not the no chance or high chance, but middle of the road one?

Anyone know what the third email said? Not the no chance or high chance, but middle of the road one?
We appreciate your interest in VP&S and are reaching out to provide you an update. We have had considerably fewer withdrawals than we had expected by this time of year, and at the present it does not seem likely that things will work out favorably. That said, we will continue to keep your candidacy under consideration in case things could change unexpectedly.
We wish you the best going forward.