Nov 28, 2018
Is there any history of applicants having been accepted off Columbia's waitlist and been given a merit scholarship?

I know for some schools (ex: WashU) this is not unheard of

May 2, 2018
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Is there any history of applicants having been accepted off Columbia's waitlist and been given a merit scholarship?

There is barely a history of Columbia giving merit scholarships to students accepted outright.

Mar 6, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical

They give very few merit scholarships, so it's unlikely, but I would think not impossible

Mar 26, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
WL call 2 days ago--and, this is a strange thing to admit on such a public board because it will be apparent to future classmates or administrators who I am, but it was for Bassett! That's why I didn't post at first. I don't think the timing means anything for people who are angling for the main student pool. (Which I was prepared to stay on the waitlist for through July, by the way.)

Still processing the news because I am wildly overjoyed and cannot believe my good fortune. Sending all my happiness out to the people here who are still waiting for good news!!!

(...I really want that accepted students group link if anyone has it, thanxx xoxo)

Jun 26, 2018
Also got the WL call 2 days ago! Still trying to make a final decision, but 80% set on Columbia. (If someone could hmu with that accepted students group link that would be dope)

Aug 24, 2018
Does anyone have a sense for waitlist movement here for regular MD? I know it’s neurotic, but just curious. One person above heard from them so I wonder if they extended numerous offers a couple days ago or if they’re trickling out.

Feb 28, 2019
Does anyone have a sense for waitlist movement here for regular MD? I know it’s neurotic, but just curious. One person above heard from them so I wonder if they extended numerous offers a couple days ago or if they’re trickling out.
Either the non-Basset person is trolling or they were at the absolute top of the waitlist and it was a quick and easy decision for columbia

Traditionally, Columbia tends to extend offers in a batch on May 7th or May 8th.

Dec 20, 2018
Either the non-Basset person is trolling or they were at the absolute top of the waitlist and it was a quick and easy decision for columbia

Traditionally, Columbia tends to extend offers in a batch on May 7th or May 8th.
Why those specific dates out of curiosity?

325jerseyboy

7+ Year Member
Sep 11, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I just accepted my offer btw, so hope to see some of you guys in the fall! Also just to shed some light, I got the call on April 30th, so I'm guessing they were just trying to fill up a spot that opened up prior to the major shift.
Did you receive an email between the time you were put on waitlist and when you were accepted ?

Jun 21, 2018
Can any admitted students say whether or not the FB group has been growing? Wondering if they are accepting people not on here

Mar 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
It has been growing. There have been around 7 new students to the FB group; 2 of those look like they are already VP&S students.
So 5 new students in the past few hours? Or could this have occurred with the Bassette acceptances (a week ago)?

Jun 21, 2018
I called and they said it depends on what the admitted students decide so it is hard for the them to advise on movement. I'm not really understanding these new traffic rules I guess

Reactions: labscience
Sep 12, 2018
I called and they said it depends on what the admitted students decide so it is hard for the them to advise on movement. I'm not really understanding these new traffic rules I guess
well that sucks. It sounds like most of their acceptees have put "plan to enroll" instead of "commit to enroll" I guess. I guess harvard and hopkins need to do poor saps like me a solid and admit some of these people holding acceptances who are WL'ed at other T10s lol

Jun 21, 2018
So do they not expect movement until students select commit to enroll? That seems strange.
I don't think any school really knows whether or not students who are planning to enroll will actually attend until they either commit to enroll or withdraw their acceptance. Until people decide we wait :help:

Jul 17, 2018
I don't think any school really knows whether or not students who are planning to enroll will actually attend until they either commit to enroll or withdraw their acceptance. Until people decide we wait :help:
But I guess I thought the point of April 30 was that so everyone has one acceptance? Then after that, if you’re off a waitlist you have a week or two to then pick between those two and plan to enroll at whichever one. Are you saying schools don’t think students are abiding by this?

Jun 21, 2018
But I guess I thought the point of April 30 was that so everyone has one acceptance? Then after that, if you’re off a waitlist you have a week or two to then pick between those two and plan to enroll at whichever one. Are you saying schools don’t think students are abiding by this?
I thought so too. I just think maybe "plan to enroll" is not enough for these schools to be convinced of their student count and are reluctant to pull from the waitlists because they don't know how many plan to enroll people will go elsewhere from WLs or stay at their school (but I could be wrong)

Aug 24, 2018
It sounds like the t10s are in a huge standoff seeing who will pull from their WL first haha, someone has to pull the trigger and then hopefully there'll be a domino effect and people will begin to commit
It also could be the case that these top 10s predicted their yields very accurately. Because practically speaking, if they were pretty far off from reality they would need to accept at least some to have a full class. I’d think they would want to have a full class at least “planned to enroll” and then if a few minor changes occur they’ll deal with those cases as they come.

I suppose we still may see the significant movement a lot of us expected, but there’s also the chance that movement will simply be minimal as these places predicted yield well and are already more or less sitting on X “plan to enroll students” for an X size class. Who knows...

Sep 12, 2018
It also could be the case that these top 10s predicted their yields very accurately. Because practically speaking, if they were pretty far off from reality they would need to accept at least some to have a full class. I’d think they would want to have a full class at least “planned to enroll” and then if a few minor changes occur they’ll deal with those cases as they come.

I suppose we still may see the significant movement a lot of us expected, but there’s also the chance that movement will simply be minimal as these places predicted yield well and are already more or less sitting on X “plan to enroll students” for an X size class. Who knows...
very true... I've been minimizing this theory for the sake of my own optimism though :p

Aug 24, 2018
very true... I've been minimizing this theory for the sake of my own optimism though :p
Haha I totally feel you. I just like exploring the possibilities. Here’s another one: maybe Harvard and Hopkins both have 10 spots to fill but simply haven’t gotten around to extending those offers and that’s going to happen tomorrow. Then some Columbia “plan to enroll”ers are going to flip to those schools. Or maybe Columbia is still 10 short of a full class and just hasn’t yet made the calls to the waitlisted students they’re planning to accept. Just wish we could see into the black box.

Mar 11, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Did you specifically ask about WL movement this week? or WL movement in general?

Feb 28, 2019
Would any current PTE students care to comment on if they are waiting on WL offers from their state school or a “preferable” private school?

It makes a big difference in terms of wait list movement.

Reactions: taurusregina