Illinois c/o 2025 Hopefuls

Started by battie
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Any suggestions for vegetarian friendly restaurants in the area for my husband and I to check out while visiting?

Also, are restaurants doing only take out or dine-in? Either is fine, just want to know what to expect.

Follow the Facebook page Vegan Champaign Urbana. Lots of veggie options around. My favorites are Kohinoor Indian restaurant, Maize Mexican, DP Dough for some calzones, and Dancing Dog (entirely plant based). Also donuts from Pandemonium!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone! I was accepted to UIUC, Tufts, and Midwestern. Was wondering if anyone had any advice about Illinois and what stands out most about the program. I’m OOS and interested in small animal GP.
 
Hi everyone! I was accepted to UIUC, Tufts, and Midwestern. Was wondering if anyone had any advice about Illinois and what stands out most about the program. I’m OOS and interested in small animal GP.

This thread has a pros/cons list for the various schools that you can check out.


This sub-forum has a lot of responses for me on how I feel about Illinois. You would just have to search "Illinois" under the search bar and pick "this forum"

Overall I've liked my time at Illinois. I do feel that the administration does care for students based on my personal experience. My extra curriculars were the highlight of my time here. I would be willing to go to Illinois again (though I would've picked my in state in a heartbeat). I'm willing to answer specific questions!
 
Hey guys! Here is your class's unofficial facebook page. Your 'official' page will be created by academic & student affairs in mid- to late April, but I know many of you must be super excited to meet your classmates. 🙂 Welcome aboard!
Officially joined today! I was waiting until I did a virtual Vet School reveal with my family and friends before joining!
 
Does anyone know if Illinois lets you change your status to in-state after the first year, and what the requirements for that would be?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know how long alternates will have to give an answer if admitted? I know some schools it’s 24 hours after admission is offered😬
 
Does anyone know how long alternates will have to give an answer if admitted? I know some schools it’s 24 hours after admission is offered😬

They would prefer an answer within 24 hours. I personally asked them to give me the weekend to decide and they allowed that.
 
Anyone know how soon after the deadline they’ll start going through the waitlist? I know some schools will start Friday if they haven’t already begun pulling people.
 
They've sent an email in the past when they've had a full class. As an example, when I was a part of the class of 2020, they sent an email April 16 to let all applicants know that they had a full class and that they were extremely unlikely to move to the waitlist (which they never did for that class). So based on that, I assume they would start pulling on April 16 if there is space in the class.
 
They have to wait a bit until mail comes in to make sure they don’t have a full class since your deposit just has to be *postmarked* by the 15th. 2022 they started calling a week later (I got called Monday the 23rd and Monday the 16th was the postmark deadline). I wouldn’t expect anyone to get called the 16th unless they have a very empty class and very few people they’re waiting to hear from.
 
Random question for current students that I may be ahead of myself on: when should we start planning for off-campus externships? I know other schools have a few weeks blocked off here & there for students to do externships, but I am not sure what years of vet school Illinois has these blocks, if at all. I definitely want to travel a bit and do some externships in various places around the country, so I would obviously need to plan ahead for that whether it is first year or a later year of school!
 
Random question for current students that I may be ahead of myself on: when should we start planning for off-campus externships? I know other schools have a few weeks blocked off here & there for students to do externships, but I am not sure what years of vet school Illinois has these blocks, if at all. I definitely want to travel a bit and do some externships in various places around the country, so I would obviously need to plan ahead for that whether it is first year or a later year of school!
During first and second year, the only time students can do externships is during breaks. There are opportunities to do trips to other countries through the school (I know people who went to Greece for shelter med and to Australia for zoo med). These trips are scheduled over break.

For clinical year externships, I always tell people to schedule them during early 3rd year, or earlier, depending on the wait lists of various facilities.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was so paralyzed by indecisiveness I completely forgot to put my "accept alternate spot" in the mail yesterday. I got into Oregon though so I'm ok. Good luck everyone!
 
During first and second year, the only time students can do externships is during breaks. There are opportunities to do trips to other countries through the school (I know people who went to Greece for shelter med and to Australia for zoo med). These trips are scheduled over break.

For clinical year externships, I always tell people to schedule them during early 3rd year, or earlier, depending on the wait lists of various facilities.

I am interested in public health. When should I schedule clinical year externships for USDA; CDC; etc?
 
I am interested in public health. When should I schedule clinical year externships for USDA; CDC; etc?
I'm not sure when the applications for those programs open up. You'd have to look into those particular websites. But say the application opens Jan 1 of 2023 or 2024, then you'd apply then and the dates you request/nail down with the program, you'd then request as an off campus free elective, directed elective, or off block
 
@Teepster87 @britzen may have slightly more info/guidance?????

The CDC epidemiology elective is by application only. The app opens in February for externships the next year (as in, I just applied in 2021, hoping for a spring 2022 externship). Here's the details: Epidemiology Elective Program Homepage | CDC

Other people I know have done rotations with the CDC One Health office, but I don't know how they got them - I think they networked their way in. They took externs on short notice last summer.

The easiest way to get your foot in the door at USDA is to apply to do one of their summer internship programs. Other externships are case by case through the office that they are in I think (as in there is no central process - you make a connection and that office sets you up to work with them). Some places are more receptive to hosting interns than others.

You can reach out to USDA at any time really, but try to give yourself a decent amount of lead time (months) to deal with on-boarding paperwork if you are not already an intern for them. You will have to do a background check, fingerprints, etc. The process can take several months, and many offices aren't willing to do it anymore because the HR process has been made so difficult that it's not worth it for them to host externs. I know the office I intern for won't accept externs at all anymore because of how onerous the HR process has become, but another office I am doing a detail with for the Spring just hosted an extern for 3 weeks so clearly they were willing to make it happen.
@Teepster87 may have thoughts about what that looks like from the both sides.

State vets office, state wildlife vets, etc have been much faster and more flexible in my experience.

As you network in school, if you see something that you think may interest you, contact them and ask how far in advance you will need to contact them for possible externships. There are some that you need to plan a year or more in advance (CDC epi elective, Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Study, a lot of zoos, etc). To do that you are going to need to design your clinical year schedule around those electives.

There are many others that you can schedule a few months out without too many issues as long as they have a spot, so you can wait until you have your clinical year schedule to contact them.

This was a very wandering answer to say - contact any placement you think you want to ask them! It varies a lot.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone heard anything in regards to scheduling their file review? I put in my request for a file review on the 14th and they said they will put me in the folder but no word yet on an actual date.