Illinois CVM c/o 2023 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Beat me by literal seconds. Pay attention in histo, why dontcha?
HISTO IS OVER BATS. We had a 25 minute lecture and then a really short lab and were out by 10:20
Shouldn’t you be paying attention in organ path, bats :p

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
just gave up my spot so hopefully the waitlist will have some more movement!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
oh I was accepted originally but got pulled off the waitlist for somewhere else!

Oh okay! Well thank you! Sorry just dying inside waiting to find out lol

What is the Research Project I Elective? Does everyone pretty much just take the ZooMed elective first semester?

zoomed is a pretty low commitment class and an easy way to get an elective credit out of the way. I thought the class was pretty interesting. You basically attempt to work through cases as a whole class on different things exotics has seen, but it’s more yell out style vs someone calling on specific people to give an answer and putting people on the spot. You don’t HAVE to take an elective 1st quarter if you don’t want to, you just have to take 8 by the time you move to clinics.

Reactions: 4 users
Somewhat random question: I've accumulated a LOT of scrubs while working as a vet tech. Does UIUC have specific requirements for scrubs? Trying to figure out what I should keep vs. donate.
Donate to me :)

What is the Research Project I Elective?

It's supposed to mimic/actually be an elective in which you go through the process of doing an original research project. It's for the whole semester, nit just first quarter. So you would also be doing it during clinics during second quarter.

What is the Research Project I Elective? Does everyone pretty much just take the ZooMed elective first semester?

I did not take an elective first quarter. It was definitely nice because I got to go home after anatomy lab and didn’t have to stick around for another class. It also gave me time to adjust to classes too. That being said, I know a lot of people really enjoyed the class and thought it was easy so it is totally up to you!

I did not take an elective first quarter. It was definitely nice because I got to go home after anatomy lab and didn’t have to stick around for another class. It also gave me time to adjust to classes too. That being said, I know a lot of people really enjoyed the class and thought it was easy so it is totally up to you!
Have you had a tough time making up credits afterwards?

And thanks everyone! I know they'll probably explain this eventually but I'm just so excited and want to know already!

And thanks everyone! I know they'll probably explain this eventually but I'm just so excited and want to know already!
We have 9 quarters of classes and you’re only required 8 elective credits. So you could definitely take a quarter off from electives and still be fine if you only took 1 elective per quarter afterwards. Some people also take two electives at the same time because once you get further in (and even second semester of first year) you get more options that might interest you more. For this fall, I’m potentially taking 2 electives first quarter and then potentially one more 2nd quarter.
There’s also tons during 3rd year like cardio, derm, ophtho, more LA/equine things, etc that you may want to take, so you shouldn’t have too much of a problem getting your 8 in.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have 9 quarters of classes and you’re only required 8 elective credits. So you could definitely take a quarter off from electives and still be fine if you only took 1 elective per quarter afterwards. Some people also take two electives at the same time because once you get further in (and even second semester of first year) you get more options that might interest you more. For this fall, I’m potentially taking 2 electives first quarter and then potentially one more 2nd quarter.
There’s also tons during 3rd year like cardio, derm, ophtho, more LA/equine things, etc that you may want to take, so you shouldn’t have too much of a problem getting your 8 in.
so cool!! okay thanks

I'm one of those people who take 2-3 electives per quarter because they aren't that much effort and are pass fail. They're there for exposure, not stress. You have to purposely try to not have enough credits by the end of this year because we have quite a few options.

When do we register for classes?

Probably around July because that's when they move classes up in the system

Reactions: 3 users
I'm one of those people who take 2-3 electives per quarter because they aren't that much effort and are pass fail. They're there for exposure, not stress. You have to purposely try to not have enough credits by the end of this year because we have quite a few options.

So we CAN take more than 1 Elective! I was told we could only take one per quarter and it made me sad because there are so many that I want to take!

So we CAN take more than 1 Elective! I was told we could only take one per quarter and it made me sad because there are so many that I want to take!

You can do whatever you want as long as you pass. This is the first quarter I am taking only one, and that's because the other one I wanted had a time conflict

Can't remember if this is something that's been answered before. My SO has been trying to find a job in UC so he can join me in August, but the job hunt has been difficult. There are some jobs available in his field in Springfield and Bloomington. How inconvenient would it be to live 30 mins away from campus (somewhere between us both)? I know we need to live within 10 minutes of campus for fourth year clinics, but is this going to be a huge burden for first year?

How inconvenient would it be to live 30 mins away from campus (somewhere between us both)? I know we need to live within 10 minutes of campus for fourth year clinics, but is this going to be a huge burden for first year?

For me, it would be inconvenient. I do a ton of stuff within vet med and am moving closer to the school, and I only live about 15 minutes away. If you want to do something like wildlife or research, it would he less than ideal.

Also remember that in the winter, 30 minutes will turn into an hour due to ice on the highways.

Thank you for your input! We're weighing our options now. I guess worst case scenario is that I move to IL and he stays back in MD until something pops up. He works in the biotech field, so if anyone has any leads... :)

He works in the biotech field, so if anyone has any leads... :)

I don't know what type of biotech he is in but there is a company called ADM (Archer-Daniels Midland) in Decatur. They use bacterial fermentation to synthesize amino acid feed additives, they also do corn processing and linseed crushing. It is like 55 minutes from Champaign, but if he willing to make the commute it might be worth looking into any jobs they have available.

ADM was my first thought when I saw biotech.

Has anyone contacted them to find out if the class is full?

Has anyone been called from the waitlist?

Have you guys received an email from ASA saying the class is full and to start planning for the next year? If not, you can safely assume they're working their way through the waitlist still.

Have you guys received an email from ASA saying the class is full and to start planning for the next year? If not, you can safely assume they're working their way through the waitlist still.

No not yet, but just wanted to see if anyone on here has been called yet!

Hey guys! I called UIUC yesterday and asked if they've started pulling people from the wait list. They said they can't disclose that information but will inform us once the class seats are filled. Definitely think they're still working on that so best of luck to everyone :)

Sooo when it comes to financial stuff like picking out our loans and managing money, how helpful is the school advising us on that stuff?
I guess I'm just trying to see how much research I have to do myself.

I didn't personally try to consult with financial aid on which to pick because they generally are more focused on undergrad loans, which differ in subtle but significant ways. I used the federal aid government website to research the types of loans offered to me and picked from there. My main factor was the interest rate, obviously

Sooo when it comes to financial stuff like picking out our loans and managing money, how helpful is the school advising us on that stuff?
You don't 'pick out' your loans, it's all based on what you qualify for. Your financial aid application (FAFSA) tells the financial aid office what type of loans you qualify for. Once the finaid office puts your aid package together (based off of the info in your FAFSA), you simply accept or decline it (or accept a partial amount of your offer if that applies to you). For the majority of people, you will be offered a combo of direct unsubsidized and direct grad plus. Those who come from disadvantaged backgrounds might see different offerings, but most middle class students get the unsubsidized + grad plus combo. Hope this makes sense.

You can choose between private and federal loans. Private loans may get you a lower interest rate (especially if you have a cosigner), but eliminate eligibility for valuable repayment plans that only federal loans offer.

Just a reminder: You can't qualify for need based loans (such as the health professions or subsidized loans) unless you put your parents' info on the FAFSA, whether they are contributing to your living/education costs or not. It's really a sh*tty system. I find that a lot of incoming students are confused as to why they aren't getting subsidized loans (since they're all flat broke), but it's because either 1) They didn't put their parents' financial info on the FAFSA 2) Their parents 'make enough' (even so much as $1 more than the limit) and disqualify the student, even if they contribute all of $0 to tuition/cost of living.

Thank you for your input! We're weighing our options now. I guess worst case scenario is that I move to IL and he stays back in MD until something pops up. He works in the biotech field, so if anyone has any leads... :)

My husband works in Danville, and he commutes approx. 40 mins each way. He had to make a slight sacrifice in pay from his job in NY. The pickings are not great around the CU area, but with some of my loans and his pay we can get by.

I just got the call! I'm going to be a vet!!!! :soexcited:

Reactions: 12 users
I know this was asked before, but I can't find it. Could someone explain how you gain IS tuition? I am getting married this summer, and my husband will be moving to Illinois with me and working while I am in vet school. If he makes more than the cost of OOS tuition, do I become an IS student then?

I know this was asked before, but I can't find it. Could someone explain how you gain IS tuition? I am getting married this summer, and my husband will be moving to Illinois with me and working while I am in vet school. If he makes more than the cost of OOS tuition, do I become an IS student then?

I went through this. This is the site with all the specific requirements and a link to the Petition you'll file with the registrar's office. I had to provide pay stubs from his job, our tax returns, copy of our driver's licenses, bank statement, lease agreement, and marriage certifcate, etc. I included anything I could to help since I had it. Lots of paperwork, but I didn't have an issue beyond them requesting more paperwork, haha. Residency Status Requirements - UAPS

It states: "He/she must rely upon gainful employment in Illinois or prove reliance upon resources in Illinois for more than fifty percent of the income sufficient to provide for tuition, fees, and normal living expenses, e.g., food, clothing, housing, and transportation. Income earned as a result of University enrollment, such as educational loans, graduate assistantships, or student employment, is not considered evidence of intent to establish residency. "

Last edited:
I went through this. This is the site with all the specific requirements and a link to the Petition you'll file with the registrar's office. I had to provide pay stubs from his job, our tax returns, copy of our driver's licenses, bank statement, lease agreement, and marriage certifcate, etc. I included anything I could to help since I had it. Lots of paperwork, but I didn't have an issue beyond them requesting more paperwork, haha. Residency Status Requirements - UAPS

It states: "He/she must rely upon gainful employment in Illinois or prove reliance upon resources in Illinois for more than fifty percent of the income sufficient to provide for tuition, fees, and normal living expenses, e.g., food, clothing, housing, and transportation. Income earned as a result of University enrollment, such as educational loans, graduate assistantships, or student employment, is not considered evidence of intent to establish residency. "
Thanks! Were you able to gain IS residency then?

Thanks! Were you able to gain IS residency then?

Np! Yes, I got IS residency after my first year. Just make sure you pay attention to the dates for each term

"The petition must be received and date stamped at the appropriate office by:
  • September 30 for the fall term
  • February 15 for the spring term
  • June 20 for the summer term"

Np! Yes, I got IS residency after my first year. Just make sure you pay attention to the dates for each term

"The petition must be received and date stamped at the appropriate office by:
  • September 30 for the fall term
  • February 15 for the spring term
  • June 20 for the summer term"
Do you have to petition each semester? Or is it just once and done after first year?

Do you have to petition each semester? Or is it just once and done after first year?

As far as I understood it, once you have residency, you're considered in-state unless something changes (like maybe if I got divorced or my husband took a job out of state somewhere), but I also didn't specifically ask, so I'd suggest calling if you're concerned about that. I didn't have to resubmit anything for fall vs spring this year to get the instate tuition rate, personally.

As far as I understood it, once you have residency, you're considered in-state unless something changes (like maybe if I got divorced or my husband took a job out of state somewhere), but I also didn't specifically ask, so I'd suggest calling if you're concerned about that. I didn't have to resubmit anything for fall vs spring this year to get the instate tuition rate, personally.
Okay great! Thanks!

For those of you who get pulled off the waitlist, my roommate and I are still looking for two people to live with us in our townhouse! PM me if interested :happy:

For people who lived in the village: i am reading through the pet addendum they just sent me, although i signed a while ago, and it says all cats must be declawed under it....? I am bringing my cat who has claws but wasn’t told about any of that before signing, just that they were “cat friendly”. Have you had clawed cats while living in the village and has it been okay?

For people who lived in the village: i am reading through the pet addendum they just sent me, although i signed a while ago, and it says all cats must be declawed under it....? I am bringing my cat who has claws but wasn’t told about any of that before signing, just that they were “cat friendly”. Have you had clawed cats while living in the village and has it been okay?
@SportPonies

Sorry for so many questions! But thank you for the answers :)
Has anyone been contacted on the waitlist yet?
Yes! Don't give up hope. I missed a call from them on Good Friday but they offered me a seat last Monday which I accepted (April 22). I was on the alternate list, so I guess I'm proof they're calling ppl off the waitlist. And hi everybody!! (I'm a shy lurker lol)

Reactions: 5 users
Hi everyone! I am debating whether I want to Illinois this upcoming cycle. How is the cost of living?

Hi everyone! I am debating whether I want to Illinois this upcoming cycle. How is the cost of living?

I take out $1,000/month in loans for living expenses, and supplement with part time jobs (which I use for swag, ice cream, emotionally eating, etc.)

2nd year friend I am studying with has this to say: She bought her condo, but her bills are $600 per month (mortgage, HOA, utilities, etc). She was hunky dory paying that by herself during first year.

I take out $1,000/month in loans for living expenses, and supplement with part time jobs (which I use for swag, ice cream, emotionally eating, etc.)

2nd year friend I am studying with has this to say: She bought her condo, but her bills are $600 per month (mortgage, HOA, utilities, etc). She was hunky dory paying that by herself during first year.

Thank you for the response!