Illinois CVM c/o 2023 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Basically can register anytime, as long as you’re registered by the first day of classes.

And do yourselves a favor and call parking and get on the F27 waitlist now before the rest of your class does. You likely won’t get parking there until 2nd year but that’s the big lot and it has a massive waitlist. You can’t buy passes yet, but you can get on waitlists. F30 is Lincoln parallel street parking, F32 is off Lincoln and is a tiny lot with regular spaces, and F24 is Hazelwood parallel parking but generally can be easier to get a decent spot than Lincoln. F30 doesn’t usually have a waitlist but I think 24&32 do.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I already have...just go to Self-Service - APPS --> registration and records --> classic registration --> look up classes --> select and register

Did you just add the Fall schedule that is on the Illinois website for classes? So VM 602 and 601?

This a more general question but for electives do we choose between ZooMed what's your diagnosis or Research project? Are this our only choices?

Did you just add the Fall schedule that is on the Illinois website for classes? So VM 602 and 601?

This a more general question but for electives do we choose between ZooMed what's your diagnosis or Research project? Are this our only choices?
Yep 601 and 602 are the only ones you have to make sure you add.

Those are your only two choices for this fall. You’ll have more in the spring and even more options 2nd and 3rd year. You’d take it during the same time as 602. You aren’t required to take an elective every semester and can take more than one once there’s more interesting electives if you want, so definitely don’t stress about having to make sure to get the minimum number of electives required before you graduate. You’ll get to that fairly easily once there’s more interesting electives.
Most people take zoomed and the research one is apparently the fullllll semester so you’d still be in it during 601 clinics, instead of just during 602. On the previous page of this thread there was a bit more about zoomed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know the difference between choosing research project 1 as an elective and doing research on the side?

Yep 601 and 602 are the only ones you have to make sure you add.

Those are your only two choices for this fall. You’ll have more in the spring and even more options 2nd and 3rd year. You’d take it during the same time as 602. You aren’t required to take an elective every semester and can take more than one once there’s more interesting electives if you want, so definitely don’t stress about having to make sure to get the minimum number of electives required before you graduate. You’ll get to that fairly easily once there’s more interesting electives.
Most people take zoomed and the research one is apparently the fullllll semester so you’d still be in it during 601 clinics, instead of just during 602. On the previous page of this thread there was a bit more about zoomed.
So for 601 clinics, what is the day like? How early are you supposed to arrive and what time will clinics go till?

Does anyone know the difference between choosing research project 1 as an elective and doing research on the side?

There will be more hand holding in the elective because it's there to teach you research, whereas doing research on the side, the clinicians will be less hand-holdy as time goes by, and you may be relegated to certain tasks. That also depends on the clinician and research, too, though.

So for 601 clinics, what is the day like? How early are you supposed to arrive and what time will clinics go till?

Depends on the rotation. If you're on medical skills, it could be 9-2:30 with a guaranteed lunch (or 9 to 1:30 if you as a group vote to skip lunch). If you're on Soft Tissue Surgery, I was there at 7 am and left at 8 pm one day.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, you don’t get to pick/preference your rotations for 601 first year, in case anyone was curious. They want you to experience different parts that you may not pick on your own.

Reactions: 4 users
For people who lived in the village: i am reading through the pet addendum they just sent me, although i signed a while ago, and it says all cats must be declawed under it....? I am bringing my cat who has claws but wasn’t told about any of that before signing, just that they were “cat friendly”. Have you had clawed cats while living in the village and has it been okay?
Just noticed this never got answered!
As someone who lives at The Village in a multiple-cat apartment, I can assure you that there is no chance they’ll notice; don’t worry about it!

Does student health insurance start August 1st?

Reactions: 1 user
So if I plan on participating in the wildlife clinic, should I be vaccinated for Rabies over the summer since McKinley only offers vaccines beginning August 1st? I wasn't sure if that would give me enough time to get the series done. Also, is the Rabies vaccine through McKinley typically in high demand? Like will I need to make an appointment far in advance to ensure I can receive the entire series in a timely manner? I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to spend the extra $30 to get vaccinated over the summer at Walgreens. Thanks!

So if I plan on participating in the wildlife clinic, should I be vaccinated for Rabies over the summer since McKinley only offers vaccines beginning August 1st? I wasn't sure if that would give me enough time to get the series done. Also, is the Rabies vaccine through McKinley typically in high demand? Like will I need to make an appointment far in advance to ensure I can receive the entire series in a timely manner? I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to spend the extra $30 to get vaccinated over the summer at Walgreens. Thanks!
If you want to work at the wildlife clinic, you'll need to have a completed rabies series before you can handle any mammals. I would highly recommend having it done before starting school, but I do know people that didn't have the series completed before starting- they just were only allowed to handle birds/reptiles.

I'm not sure about the McKinley question though- you may want to call there and get the answer straight from the source. I had mine done through Walgreens, but my insurance covered it (which I know is uncommon).

Like will I need to make an appointment far in advance to ensure I can receive the entire series in a timely manner? I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to spend the extra $30 to get vaccinated over the summer at Walgreens. Thanks!

I believe the rabies vaccine is through the vaccine clinic at McKinley, so you would not be able to make an appointment regardless. It's first come, first serve.

Members don't see this ad :)
How long did it take for ASA to receive people's deposits? I sent mine last Tuesday, and the check still hasn't been cashed! Sorry I'm just freaking out that it got lost in the mail or something!

How long did it take for ASA to receive people's deposits? I sent mine last Tuesday, and the check still hasn't been cashed! Sorry I'm just freaking out that it got lost in the mail or something!

If you think standard mail, so it takes two or three days there, which then puts it at being delivered Friday. It's distinctly possible that they just haven't gotten around to it. We have the 4th years graduating this week, this is the first week the 3rd years are alone on clinics, and 1st and 2nd years have finals this week. They'll get to it soonish, I would imagine. You could always just call and double check.

Just kidding, I emailed them and they said they were full..Great
things do change during the summer. I wouldn't bank on it and decline any other acceptances/opportunities you have in hopes that you get a call, but being full now =/= being full in 2 months, 2 days, etc. People who have accepted seat at Illinois may be waitlisted elsewhere too. My class in particular had 2-3 people get in at the last minute, just a few weeks before classes started.

Current student horse-people: how much time do you actually have to spend with your horse every week when school is in full swing? Or just how much time do you have outside of assignments/classes/clinic/etc.

Current student horse-people: how much time do you actually have to spend with your horse every week when school is in full swing? Or just how much time do you have outside of assignments/classes/clinic/etc.
I don't think there are any active UIUC horse owners on SDN right now, so I'll answer this as well as I can. I don't own a horse, but have ridden and shown for many years.

I do know a few individuals who own horses and have them here at school with them, but I don't believe there are any in my class- only a handful spread through the other classes. Most horse owners have left their horses back at home. There's not a lot of free time outside of school and studying, so the people that do own seem to only ride once or twice a week max. I was recently was put in a position where I could buy a horse but decided it was best to postpone the opportunity, because I know I just don't have the time to commit. I find myself neglecting even my less time-consuming hobbies that don't require leaving the house or caring for a living creature.

It's sad when it's a huge part of your life, but I know my academics would be hit hard if I spent as much time at a barn as I wish I could.

Also do not own a horse, but showed a while back.

The horsey peeps I know that ride are those that work part time at a barn and get paid with lessons. They go a max or once or twice a week. There is one person in 2020 that runs a barn, but most of that is work and not play by any means.

Please help, I am stressed! … What is the best way to go about finding a roommate and choosing somewhere to live? Facebook group vs SDN? Is it better to live with someone in your year (i.e. experiencing firsts together, someone to go to class/events with) or better to live with someone older who can show you the ropes? As for housing, did you feel the need to physically go to IL to decide where to live, or did online research suffice?

Please help, I am stressed! … What is the best way to go about finding a roommate and choosing somewhere to live? Facebook group vs SDN? Is it better to live with someone in your year (i.e. experiencing firsts together, someone to go to class/events with) or better to live with someone older who can show you the ropes? As for housing, did you feel the need to physically go to IL to decide where to live, or did online research suffice?

You can join the Facebook "university of illinois CVM 2023" page, or the "Illinois vet med free and for sale" page on Facebook - there are some people looking for roommates on there and you can probably find a decent situation on there Vs SDN (a lot more classmates are active on Facebook).. It's up to you whether you'd like to live with upperclassmen or people in the same class - plenty of people do either of those. I personally did not go to IL to find housing, I signed a lease over the internet, but I do not live in the student housing apartment complexes, etc.

@SportPonies are you still looking for another roomie :laugh:

Current students - do you recommend getting hardcover books or ebooks for first year?

Current students - do you recommend getting hardcover books or ebooks for first year?
I recommend getting no books :rofl:
I’m not a book learner so I ONLY bought the Evan’s dissection of the dog book for anatomy lab and am planning on selling it because I now have no use for it:laugh:
Pros of hardcover books is you can resell them vs ebooks you can’t. You’ll never need to bring them to class, except for at least 1-2 people in your anatomy group are supposed to bring the dissection of the dog book each lab.
Also, I think the library has at least one copy of each book on reserve if you do need to look something up while in the library.

I used Zillow for the place I'm currently at and the vet med for sale page for the place I'm moving into. I didn't go back to Illinois to find some place to live cause it was logistically not possible.

You'll also be given access to all the text books online via the library and then the big sib little sib committee.

Me and another 2nd year have a bedroom open in our house! Message me for more details or if you have questions about housing in general!

So I noticed list of supplies has polos, scrubs, boots, & overalls. Is there like a dress code for actual classroom time, or is it casual?

Nope. I wear sweats and leggings unless I need to look nice. Rotations are different. But actual didactics, whatever you want.

So I noticed list of supplies has polos, scrubs, boots, & overalls. Is there like a dress code for actual classroom time, or is it casual?
Those are for clinics! Polos and khakis for equine, though you may not be on it until 2nd year. Scrubs have to be solid color for clinics, but any color, and cannot have logos of clinics or product companies. You can wear whatever scrubs you want for anatomy. The green pella coveralls and boots are for rotations and also palpation during anatomy first year!

Ok thanks...one more question about clothing...are the blue or white coats ever worn outside of the their respective ceremonies? o_O

Blue coat I worn during clinical rotations and possibly during labs/junior surgery. I had a separate lab coat for labs.

White coats are required for all 4th year clinical rotations

Can someone sell me on joining SAVMA?

I've read the list of benefits, but most of it uses phasing like "eligible to receive/participate/apply" and "opportunity to attend." It seems like the benefits are more like possibilities, rather than guarantees. Is there anything I'd actually be missing out on if I don't sign up?

Just trying to justify spending $150, other than to spend another $15 to get a class of 2023 vet med shirt

Sadly, some schools you have to be a member to join clubs.

I've read the list of benefits, but most of it uses phasing like "eligible to receive/participate/apply" and "opportunity to attend." It seems like the benefits are more like possibilities, rather than guarantees. Is there anything I'd actually be missing out on if I don't sign up?

Just trying to justify spending $150, other than to spend another $15 to get a class of 2023 vet med shirt

It makes it cheaper to do events through out the year (Vetscapades, vet prom, etc) by 5ish bucks an event. You get specific lunch lectures for free vs for 5 bucks. Eligible for specific scholarships. First year of AVMA for free.

I think it's worth it for the one time payment, especially for the supplies. You can also go to SAVMA symposium, which our school is very good about subsidizing.

How do you mean? I found all the items on the supplies list cheaper elsewhere. The only thing I'm actually interested in is the vet med T-shirt.

For me, it was the convenience of not having to get everything separately while working full time and subsequently traveling a ton. Also, my first year, the only thing I could find cheaper was the hoof pick.

You also cannot get discounted Hill’s food if you’re not a savma member. It’s 50% off retail price. $2 per item home shipping on your first order of the month or free shipping to the teaching hospital. You also get free liability insurance as a student, which saves you money if a summer externship or 4th year externship requires it.

Everyone has made great points because savma runs a little differently at every school. Anyway something that's actually really important is savma membership within a school. If a school does not maintain 85% membership they lose the right to be represented on the national level in the house of delegates which kinda helps do alot of advocating for students like guidelines for work in 4th year, numerous scholarships and Grant's, and things like political action on Capitol hill and debt/cost focus groups. While it may not seem like your one measly due matters it actually does. Youd be suprised how many schools struggle to maintain 85%

If youd like more info on savma specifics feel free to PM me.

I JUST GOT CALLED AND ACCEPTED YAY

• Love
Reactions: 14 users

Jumping in on this conversation, I went to SAVMA symposium for free this year. Completely free. They paid for my hotel room, my registration, and we took a bus to get there. The only extra costs were for wetlabs/daytrips if you wanted to take them. This year I think somewhere between 80-100 students went to symposium for free which is ridiculous if you talk to people from other schools. Granted I don't know how they will do things next year and it might not end up being entirely free, but this trip alone made my membership dues worth it!

Also, if you don't end up doing it, make sure you have your coveralls and boots by the first day of class. We didn't find out until the first day that we needed our boots/coveralls that week and some of my classmates who didn't buy them through the sale struggled to find them in time.

Do a lot of people typically stay in Illinois during the summers to work? And if so, what are job opportunities like, and how much do they pay usually?

The Pella vet coveralls are so pricey. Is there a cheaper alternative anyone could recommend ?

The Pella vet coveralls are so pricey. Is there a cheaper alternative anyone could recommend ?
100% recommend going on the free and for sale page and seeing if someone is selling any or post an ISO coveralls post. You will need the pella ones for 4th year iirc.

Reactions: 2 users
Idk about specific brands, but you do not HAVE to buy the Pella ones from ISCAVMA. If you find ones cheaper elsewhere. go for it. As of the past year in clinics, there was no color/style requirement. Short sleeve, long sleeve, no sleeve, blue, green, whatever, it's fine. If they're used/old, just make sure they look professional in front of clients and on farm calls.

Idk about specific brands, but you do not HAVE to buy the Pella ones from ISCAVMA. If you find ones cheaper elsewhere. go for it. As of the past year in clinics, there was no color/style requirement. Short sleeve, long sleeve, no sleeve, blue, green, whatever, it's fine. If they're used/old, just make sure they look professional in front of clients and on farm calls.
Lowery told us we’d need green or blue ones for 4th year. Idk man I’m just repeating what he said to us. Fun colors are apparently not acceptable for 4th year :( </3

So this is probably a weird question but what do you guys do for lunch? I know the is an Einstein bagels but is it doable to go to the fast food places near campus? Or is it easier just to bring a lunch?

So this is probably a weird question but what do you guys do for lunch? I know the is an Einstein bagels but is it doable to go to the fast food places near campus? Or is it easier just to bring a lunch?

I always pack my lunch cause that's 2 dollars instead of 5-10. There are fast food places about a 5 to 10 minute drive from vet med. But Einstein's is the only one in walking distance.

There's also always lunch lectures.