This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I heard that applicants who interview with the PD are more likely to be ranked than applicants who interview with other faculty? How true is that?

Members don't see this ad.

Guys I am having trouble ranking the following northeast/midwest programs. I am looking for fellowship match potential as well as caliber of the program to give good solid training. Here is my list so far. Let me know if my ranking is ok. Thakns.

1. Lahey clinic
2. NYP brooklyn
3. Mt. Sinai Queens
4. Henry Ford Macomb
5. DMC sinai grace
6. McLaren Macomb
7. Richmond University Staten Island
8. Wright Center GME
9. Nassau

Perfect. I agree

I heard that applicants who interview with the PD are more likely to be ranked than applicants who interview with other faculty? How true is that?

Nobody knows for sure. I doubt this is the case

Can’t say anything for sure. It depends on the other faculty too. But I personally feel that interviewing with the PD can be risky in situations where the PD is a tough person. It’s difficult to impress them. Such PDs don’t really look for the scores or YOG, every word we utter counts.

Members don't see this ad :)
In SOAP, there will be not so many programs in IM and mostly programs cutoff is >220 in step 1 and mine is less than 220. so should I apply to those programs or not? so my question is do programs follow the same requirements during soap? Because if I see, I don't feel I have many options:( and about YOG, almost all programs have criteria of up to 5 years, so what about old YOG? how do you guys apply?

Even in SOAP, the programs look for the same requirements as far as I know. It is getting very difficult, true. But irrespective of the outcome, I think we should still keep trying.

Hi Everyone,
Would appreciate your help in creating my list. I am interested in GI and flexible with location. I have my bottom sorted out but trying to figure out the top 6 order between these:

UMMS Baystate, Southern Illinois University, St. Elizabeth's, Rochester General, University at Buffalo, University of Toledo,

Thanks!

We done with interviews fam! Tired and in a lot of debt but glad this is all over. Good luck to all of us for the match. Also damn guys we’re at 103 pages. Some of us have been here since page 1....

Reactions: 4 users
Hi Everyone,
Would appreciate your help in creating my list. I am interested in GI and flexible with location. I have my bottom sorted out but trying to figure out the top 6 order between these:

UMMS Baystate, Southern Illinois University, St. Elizabeth's, Rochester General, University at Buffalo, University of Toledo,

Thanks!
I’d say rank the ones that have GI fellowship and how you feel you would fit in with the residents.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
St. Elizabeth gives you the opportunity to do research in Boston, UMMS Baystate isolates you but they have inhouse fellowship. The 1st can help you aim higher I suppose, the second is a safer choice maybe? Both are great programs. I have no idea about the others.

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,

Thanks!
Don't know about others but University at Buffalo had poor fellowship match last year. They have in house GI fellowship but they don't give preference to in-house residents from what I heard. According to the chief resident, research opportunities during residency are also limited due to other clinical duties.

We done with interviews fam! Tired and in a lot of debt but glad this is all over. Good luck to all of us for the match. Also damn guys we’re at 103 pages. Some of us have been here since page 1....

Will be done by the end of this week and I can’t wait!

I underestimated how much work the trail was going to be. Thankfully December wasn't that bad weather-wise, it's all kicking off now with airport delays and storms...glad I'm on the ground for the next few weeks.

Any funny stories from the trail?
Aside from putting on weight.
One of my interviews served wine towards the end of the day, I thought that was cool. Having a drink and chatting to faculty made me feel like a grown up.

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone. I would like some feedback on my rank order listing. I am a non-US IMG without plans on doing competitive fellowships like GI or cards. I am thinking of becoming a hospitalist but do have interests in rheum and allergy/immuno. Location is not a factor for me but I currently do not drive. I do want to go to a stronger clinical training program, but if the financial incentives/security are not worth it, I do not mind going to more rural areas.

1. Mount Sinai St. Luke's-Roosevelt
2. Staten Island University Hospital
3. Mount Auburn
4. St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor
5. Drexel
6. Albany
7. Yale-Waterbury
8. Western Michigan University Homer Stryker
9. Norwalk
10. Medstar Washington Hospital Center
11. Creighton St. Joseph's in Arizona
12. York Hospital

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I would like some feedback on my rank order listing. I am a non-US IMG without plans on doing competitive fellowships like GI or cards. I am thinking of becoming a hospitalist but do have interests in rheum and allergy/immuno. Location is not a factor for me but I currently do not drive. I do want to go to a stronger clinical training program, but if the financial incentives/security are not worth it, I do not mind going to more rural areas.

3. Mount Auburn
5. Drexel
6. Albany
7. Yale-Waterbury
9. Norwalk
12. York Hospital

Thanks
Just based on not wanting to drive 5 and 10 should move up over 4.

Got a hand written card in my mailbox from one of my IVs... safe to say I have a good chance of matching there or take with a grain of salt?? hahaha... it was a love letter though... feeling like the most special girl in the world right now haha

Reactions: 2 users
Hello guys. This thread has been extremely helpful and comforting during the interview trail. Would really appreciate some suggestions regarding the ranking of following programs. Future interest is fellowship either in cards/ ID/rheum. No location preference

1. LSU Shreveport
2. Metrohealth/CaseWestern Reserve Uni
3. Western Michigan University Kalamazoo
4. St. Peter's University Hospital, New Jersey
5. St. Elizabeth Boston
6.St. Vincent Worcester

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Hey guys, any opinion about the following places? I'm interested in Cardiology. I pretty much have my ROL ready but keep going back to these 4 places and where to rank them compared to each other. Looking for the best balance between good training, getting to my next goal which is fellowship and personal life (aren't we all? :laugh:). Thanks!

Mount Sinai St Lukes
Rutgers NJMC
Jacobi
Albert Einstein (Philadelphia)

Last edited:
Got a hand written card in my mailbox from one of my IVs... safe to say I have a good chance of matching there or take with a grain of salt?? hahaha... it was a love letter though... feeling like the most special girl in the world right now haha
Sorry to burst your bubble but they 99% send that to everyone. Don’t base your rank list on it.

Hey guys, any opinion about the following places? I'm interested in Cardiology. I pretty much have my ROL ready but keep going back to these 4 places and where to rank them compared to each other. Looking for the best balance between good training, getting to my next goal which is fellowship and personal life (aren't we all? :laugh:). Thanks!

Mount Sinai St Lukes
Rutgers NJMC
Jacobi

If location doesn’t matter then this looks fine. I personally really liked mount SLR-W but I can’t stand New York. Interviewed at Jacobi also and their cardiology fellowship match is decent too. For personal life and if you aren’t a city person, I would got to Rutgers NJMS because you can live a comfortable life in the suburbs away from the craziness and it’s a good program too.

Hello guys. This thread has been extremely helpful and comforting during the interview trail. Would really appreciate some suggestions regarding the ranking of following programs. Future interest is fellowship either in cards/ ID/rheum. No location preference

1. LSU Shreveport
2. Metrohealth/CaseWestern Reserve Uni
3. Western Michigan University Kalamazoo
4. St. Peter's University Hospital, New Jersey
5. St. Elizabeth Boston
6.St. Vincent Worcester

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk
I only know the northeast programs very well, you are right to put metrohealth in the top 3. I would put St. Elizabeth over St. Peter’s. Just my opinion based on fellowships.

3. Mount Auburn
5. Drexel
6. Albany
7. Yale-Waterbury
9. Norwalk
12. York Hospital

Thanks

I agree with Rokshana I would place Drexel and Medstar Washington higher

Hi guys! It’s been a while! Anybody who needs help with ranking especially northeast programs, I ll be happy to help as much as I can. I obsessively researched all the university and community programs during this interview season. Lol.

Hi guys! It’s been a while! Anybody who needs help with ranking especially northeast programs, I ll be happy to help as much as I can. I obsessively researched all the university and community programs during this interview season. Lol.
What do you think for GI about these programs?

Rutgers NJMS, Allegheny, Medstar Washington, St. Elizabeth, Mount Auburn, Mt Sinai SLR

What do you think for GI about these programs?

Rutgers NJMS, Allegheny, Medstar Washington, St. Elizabeth, Mount Auburn, Mt Sinai SLR

Sorry for the long post.
I am also interested in GI. I really liked NJMS and SLR-W they both seem to be great for fellowship matches and have some sort of prestige (I mean given that we are IMG, that’s as good as we can get with prestige except for some outliers) but I am not a fan of NY, so I’m NJMS>SLR. I interviewed with a GI guy at SLR and I was blown away by the opportunities for research he told me about, to help with fellowship match. He just seemed very supportive and he knew my application like the back of his hand. I felt heard. Lol.
Allegheny is also popular among IMGs, didn’t apply there but heard they have in house fellowships and my friend who interviews there is ranking it high.
I really like medstar washington, PD was awesome, I went to school in DC and love that area. The program seems really great for cardio, GI, not so much.
Mount Auburn>st Elizabeth, personally because I just really got a good vibe from MA and although the Harvard affiliation might not be very strong, it’s still there.

For GI, we need to really think about where we are going, especially if we strongly believe that is the fellowship we are aiming for. So NJMS and SLR should be high up there, (if those are all your programs).

Can you please help me with my rank order list. I am planning to get H1b sponsorship, but i would definitely love to train in a place with good clinical exposure and future opportunities. The programs are:
Staten island uni
Nassau uni
Montefiore new Rochelle
Rochester regional unity hospital
Salem hospital
Wright center
St mary-waterbury
Woodhull
Robert packer/guthrie
Upmc McKeesport

Sure, happy to help. I don’t know anything about H1 visas though and know only a few things about J1 from my husband. Is this in order? If not, pls put them as you would your ROL.

If location doesn’t matter then this looks fine. I personally really liked mount SLR-W but I can’t stand New York. Interviewed at Jacobi also and their cardiology fellowship match is decent too. For personal life and if you aren’t a city person, I would got to Rutgers NJMS because you can live a comfortable life in the suburbs away from the craziness and it’s a good program too.
Thanks for the reply! I really don't have a preference for location (manhattan/bronx/newark). I liked all three programs but I am having a hard time deciding how to rank them since they all seem pretty good on paper and during the interview day!

Thanks for the reply! I really don't have a preference for location (manhattan/bronx/newark). I liked all three programs but I am having a hard time deciding how to rank them since they all seem pretty good on paper and during the interview day!

Ok. For me, based on just overall vibe and cardiology fellowship I would do: SLR>NJMS>Jacobi.

Sorry for the long post.
I am also interested in GI. I really liked NJMS and SLR-W they both seem to be great for fellowship matches and have some sort of prestige (I mean given that we are IMG, that’s as good as we can get with prestige except for some outliers) but I am not a fan of NY, so I’m NJMS>SLR. I interviewed with a GI guy at SLR and I was blown away by the opportunities for research he told me about, to help with fellowship match. He just seemed very supportive and he knew my application like the back of his hand. I felt heard. Lol.
Allegheny is also popular among IMGs, didn’t apply there but heard they have in house fellowships and my friend who interviews there is ranking it high.
I really like medstar washington, PD was awesome, I went to school in DC and love that area. The program seems really great for cardio, GI, not so much.
Mount Auburn>st Elizabeth, personally because I just really got a good vibe from MA and although the Harvard affiliation might not be very strong, it’s still there.

For GI, we need to really think about where we are going, especially if we strongly believe that is the fellowship we are aiming for. So NJMS and SLR should be high up there, (if those are all your programs).

The GI match at SLR was not that impressive though, unless the inhouse GI fellowship at SLR is great.
St. Elizabeth has a better GI match than Mt Auburn as well.
Why is Medstar DC not so good for GI? A few residents the past few years managed to get into GI at Georgetown.

I really loved all these programs, I am so confused lol.

The GI match at SLR was not that impressive though, unless the inhouse GI fellowship at SLR is great.
St. Elizabeth has a better GI match than Mt Auburn as well.
Why is Medstar DC not so good for GI? A few residents the past few years managed to get into GI at Georgetown.

I really loved all these programs, I am so confused lol.

Oh I’m sorry, I wasn’t basing my opinions on just GI matches sorry, I also thought you needed visa and in house fellowships would be better. Forgive me if I’m wrong. To be very honest my opinions are just that, opinions. Lol. Personally, I won’t be ranking any of those programs top 3-5. And also in addition to GI fellowship match rates, location is big for me. If you are basing them solely on GI match NJMS>SLR (because I still think it’s a decent fellowship match with in-house fellowship Especially for those requiring visa)> Allegheny (in house)>WHC> Elizabeth>Mt. Auburn.

And I meant WHC is not as good for GI as they are for cardio. One of the residents told me that the people who matched had strong research history even before coming to residency plus many didn’t need visa. I guess I should take it with a grain of Adobe seasoning salt.

Hey everybody I’m having trouble with my rank list. I am interested in GI and I feel pretty confident about my top 3 but I am not sure about anything else and I’m pretty torn. Any input would be great!

1 - University of Louisville
2 - Penn State (Hershey)
3 - U of Nebraska Medical Center (Omaha)

4 - UConn
5 - UF Jacksonville
6 - Creighton (Omaha)
7 - Case Western Metrohealth
8 - Albany Medical Center
9 - East Tennessee State
10 - Mount Auburn
11 - Norwalk Hospital
12 - Memorial Health (Savannah)
13 - FSU (Tallahassee)

Hey everybody I’m having trouble with my rank list. I am interested in GI and I feel pretty confident about my top 3 but I am not sure about anything else and I’m pretty torn. Any input would be great!

1 - University of Louisville
2 - Penn State (Hershey)
3 - U of Nebraska Medical Center (Omaha)

4 - UConn
5 - UF Jacksonville
6 - Creighton (Omaha)
7 - Case Western Metrohealth
8 - Albany Medical Center
9 - East Tennessee State
10 - Mount Auburn
11 - Norwalk Hospital
12 - Memorial Health (Savannah)
13 - FSU (Tallahassee)

Assuming you don't care about location since you have Omaha as number 3, I would put Creighton above UF Jacksonville.

What are your thoughts on westchester? It has all the fellowships. Residents were nice. However, they didn’t have info on fellowship matches which I found odd. How is this viewed compared to Winthrop, maim, stony brook, monte, etc. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Which one would you rank higher between Bridgeport hospital/Yale VS Staten Island university hospital ? no visa needed. want good quality of training.

Which one would you rank higher between Bridgeport hospital/Yale VS Staten Island university hospital ? no visa needed. want good quality of training.
They both are good programs. However, the Bridgeport is not in a good location.

What are your thoughts on westchester? It has all the fellowships. Residents were nice. However, they didn’t have info on fellowship matches which I found odd. How is this viewed compared to Winthrop, maim, stony brook, monte, etc. thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think it’s a decent program with good clinical training per my friends who interviewed there and also given that it has a lot of fellowship programs. I however interviewed at stony brook and loved the program, location, not so much. For me based on academics AND clinical experience stony brook>|=Winthrop>Westchester. Not sure which monte you are talking about but if it’s new Rochelle. Won’t even rank it.

Liked both programs and agree with above. Based on clinical experience: I d go with Bridgeport hospital. Although a bad area, seems like a good place to train and you can live in the nice Connecticut suburbs and commute by car. I was attracted to SIUH because of the nice resident salary and the closeness to family. BUT my Interview day felt like a factory.

I think it’s a decent program with good clinical training per my friends who interviewed there and also given that it has a lot of fellowship programs. I however interviewed at stony brook and loved the program, location, not so much. For me based on academics AND clinical experience stony brook>|=Winthrop>Westchester. Not sure which monte you are talking about but if it’s new Rochelle. Won’t even rank it.
Thanks. I was talking about albert einstin monte.

Which one would you rank higher?
Montefiore (Wakefield) vs Montefiore (New Rochelle)
Best of luck everyone :)

Liked both programs and agree with above. Based on clinical experience: I d go with Bridgeport hospital. Although a bad area, seems like a good place to train and you can live in the nice Connecticut suburbs and commute by car. I was attracted to SIUH because of the nice resident salary and the closeness to family. BUT my Interview day felt like a factory.
thanks a lot.

Any idea of how to rank these:
Rochester General Hospital
Nassau university medical center
Richmond university medical center
Icahn queens
montefiore (wakefield)
Elmhurst
lincoln medical center
presence Saint Joseph chicago

Mount Sinai St Lukes
Rutgers NJMC
Jacobi

For cards I would put Jacobi at #1 if u don't have any problems with NYC. Chairman is a cardiologist who loves to interact with residents, and offers lots of opportunities for research with Montefiore too. Fellowship placement this year was mind blowing. SLR is good too, but specifically for cards I would go for Jacobi.

thanks a lot.

Icahn queens
montefiore (wakefield)
Elmhurst
lincoln medical center

How did you feel during the interviews? I'd say Montefiore, Icahn, Elmhurst, and Rochester Gen should be at the top of your list. Presence St. Josephs is in a great location in Chicago.

Hello everyone, thought I'd share my list as well. Any thoughts on ranking would be appreciated!

Michigan State University, East Lansing
Sisters of Charity, Uni at Buffalo,
Texas Tech Uni, Amarillo
Brooklyn Hospital, Brooklyn

thanks a lot.

Icahn queens
montefiore (wakefield)
Elmhurst
lincoln medical center

Rochester Gen/Wakefield>> everything else>Lincoln last. Never heard of presence St. Jospeh.

For cards I would put Jacobi at #1 if u don't have any problems with NYC. Chairman is a cardiologist who loves to interact with residents, and offers lots of opportunities for research with Montefiore too. Fellowship placement this year was mind blowing. SLR is good too, but specifically for cards I would go for Jacobi.

I haven’t seen this year’s fellowship match for NJMS but last year they matched yale, Emory, MGH for cardiology too. All nice fellowship match for cardio with SLR having in-house. SLR and NJMS just seemed like a happier places which is a plus if all have good fellowship match rates.

I know it's very variable based on where you interviewed, visa issues etc etc... but how low should we expect to go in our ranking list? What's a safe number of programs to rank?

I know it's very variable based on where you interviewed, visa issues etc etc... but how low should we expect to go in our ranking list? What's a safe number of programs to rank?
every interview you've been on, RANK IT. If you already spent money and time preparing and travelling to your IVs, why on earth would you not rank every single one of them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.