This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys. I've been following this thread for a few days now and it has been really helpful. I was just wondering if someone could help me in my ROL. I'm a visa-requiring IMG (hoping for an h1) and maybe going into cards/hospitalist. not sure yet but hoping to keep fellowship open. Location is not an issue. More for good clinical training, good fellowship options and h1-sponsoring programs. My current list is as follows:

1. Rush U - mostly AMGs, i was hoping for a more diverse and IMG-friendly program too. I also feel like there's a more solid clinical training and exposure in my other programs and even next door with cook where they have a more underserved population but then again, this is a univ program, which i think has better fellowship and research opportunities. and I like Chicago
2. Sinai SLR-West
3. Einstein Philly
*I feel 2 and 3 are both strong community programs with solid fellowship matches and good training. Some days it even goes up to 1 so I really can't decide :(
4. Cook County
5. Beaumont Royal Oak
6. UConn - only J1. this would've been a bit higher if it sponsored h1
7. SUNY Downstate - J1 only
8-15 - other community programs ranked based on gut-feeling but really hoping i won't go this far down my ROL

Thanks :) really looking for help for my top 3. the order keeps changing everyday.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys. I've been following this thread for a few days now and it has been really helpful. I was just wondering if someone could help me in my ROL. I'm a visa-requiring IMG (hoping for an h1) and maybe going into cards/hospitalist. not sure yet but hoping to keep fellowship open. Location is not an issue. More for good clinical training, good fellowship options and h1-sponsoring programs. My current list is as follows:

1. Rush U - mostly AMGs, i was hoping for a more diverse and IMG-friendly program too. I also feel like there's a more solid clinical training and exposure in my other programs and even next door with cook where they have a more underserved population but then again, this is a univ program, which i think has better fellowship and research opportunities. and I like Chicago
2. Sinai SLR-West
3. Einstein Philly
*I feel 2 and 3 are both strong community programs with solid fellowship matches and good training. Some days it even goes up to 1 so I really can't decide :(
4. Cook County
5. Beaumont Royal Oak
6. UConn - only J1. this would've been a bit higher if it sponsored h1
7. SUNY Downstate - J1 only
8-15 - other community programs ranked based on gut-feeling but really hoping i won't go this far down my ROL

Thanks :) really looking for help for my top 3. the order keeps changing everyday.

Even though "uni should be upper in your list" is often said, lots of community programs I know have stronger fellowship matches. Rush is a beautiful hospital but SLR and Einstein have better training and fellowship matches. I have a friend who did her residency at Rush and now work as a hospitalist at Cook County and she tells me she sees much better training at Cook. Of course there are personal reasons like city and other things that you mention. Cook is an awesome program too, with diverse imgs which suits us even more.
I don't know about beaumont... How is Detroit?

Hi guys! I am done with my interviews. A few programs I need help with for ranking. Interested in a fellowship. Thinking of HO/PC/Cards. Listing according to my assessment of the quality of clinical training and fellowship placements (honestly, that’s all I care for) .
1. Cook County
2. Jacobi
3. Allegheny
4. Mount Auburn

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! I am done with my interviews. A few programs I need help with for ranking. Interested in a fellowship. Thinking of HO/PC/Cards. Listing according to my assessment of the quality of clinical training and fellowship placements (honestly, that’s all I care for) .
1. Cook County
2. Jacobi
3. Allegheny
4. Mount Auburn

I’d put it in reverse order.

1. Cook County
2. Jacobi
3. Allegheny
4. Mount Auburn
What is HO? About Cards, I know Jacobi has great fellowship match and Allegheny has great inhouse cards. All of these are very strong programs and very close to each other so rank them based on which one you personally liked the most. If you want Primary Care I think Mount Auburn is a very strong choice.

1. Cook County
2. Jacobi
3. Allegheny
4. Mount Auburn

I second what the guys said. I would at least put Jacobi at #1 for cards and hem-onc. Allegheny has amazing fellowship placement as well.

Agree with everyone. I would say that if you care about location and life style, choose reverse. But you specifically say you just care about training and fellowship so go for Jacobi haha

Interested in GI vs Hem-Onc fellowship post-training-
Preference for criteria
1. Training
2. People
3. Research
4. Fellowship Opportunities (in-house/ good match outside)

Will really appreciate help with these programs in making a ROL -
(This is not the final ROL from my side)

1. Kansas University - Kansas City
2. Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center -Baltimore
3. University of Louisville - Louisville
4. Cook County Hospital - Chicago
5. Mount Sinai SLW - NYC
6. Ochsner Clinic-New Orleans, LA
7. Cooper University - Camden, NJ
8. University of New Mexico Hospital - Albuquerque
9. University of Chicago/ Northshore University Hospital - Chicago (Yet to interview)
10. Kansas University - Wichita
11. University of Arizona - South Campus - Tucson
12. Bridgeport Hospital-Yale University - Bridgeport, Connecticut (Yet to interview)
13. University of Central Florida - Orlando
14. Aventura Hospital - Miami
15. RWJ/St Barnabas Hospital - Livingston, NJ
16. Ascension St John Providence Hospital - Detroit
17. St. Lukes Hospital - St Louis MO
18. South Nassau Communities Hospital/ Mount Sinai - NYC
19. Hackensack Mountainside Hospital, Mont Clair, NJ
20. Gwinnett Medical Center - Lawrenceville, GA
21. Mount Sinai Queens Hospital Center - NY

Last edited:
Even though "uni should be upper in your list" is often said, lots of community programs I know have stronger fellowship matches. Rush is a beautiful hospital but SLR and Einstein have better training and fellowship matches. I have a friend who did her residency at Rush and now work as a hospitalist at Cook County and she tells me she sees much better training at Cook. Of course there are personal reasons like city and other things that you mention. Cook is an awesome program too, with diverse imgs which suits us even more.
I don't know about beaumont... How is Detroit?
I liked it too and I'd be happy to end up anywhere in my top 5. thank you! :) really appreciate the input

(This is my current tentative ROL)
1. Kansas University - Kansas City (Work here currently as a research fellow)
2. Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center - Baltimore (High on the list because of the amazing training and a great vibe as well as top-notch really close affiliation, not the best location though)
3. University of Louisville - Louisville (Probably not the first choice because of the above two being more reputed but UofL has one of the best GI match rates in the states)
4. Cook County Hospital - Chicago (Parents and family in IL, no negatives in every sense)
5. Mount Sinai SL/W - NYC (Manhattan+Reputation+lots of friends and college seniors)
6. Ochsner Clinic-New Orleans, LA (A combination of everything but traditionally does not take IMGS)
7. Cooper University - Camden, NJ (A very well rounded program but no IMG culture which is a sort of deal-breaker for me+ not the best location)
8. University of New Mexico Hospital - Albuquerque (Confused between this and Cooper, have rotated here and liked the program more than Cooper but the location is too remote)
9. University of Chicago/ Northshore University Hospital - Chicago (Yet to interview)
10. Kansas University - Wichita (One of the best vibes, low probably because of overall better programs on the list)
11. University of Arizona - South Campus - Tucson (Amazing program, was surprised that it is so good, so much of elective time at main campus)
12. Bridgeport Hospital-Yale University - Bridgeport, Connecticut (Yet to interview)
13. University of Central Florida - Orlando (Best hospital facility but fairly new program so little unsure, no GI matches so far)

Quite impressive list especially given that you've failed CS once. The mid-tier Univ and top community programs on your list are all really good in terms of fellowship placement. I generally would like to put Univ programs ahead of the community ones, but some may disagree this approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Quite impressive list especially given that you've failed CS once. The mid-tier Univ and top community programs on your list are all really good in terms of fellowship placement. I generally would like to put Univ programs ahead of the community ones, but some may disagree this approach.

Thanks!
Would you rank Louisville ahead of Bayview and Cook County?
What about
1.Kansas Uni vs Uni Louisville
2. Mount Sinai SLW vs Ochsner Clinic
And 3. Uni New Mexico vs Cooper Uni?

Interested in GI vs Hem-Onc fellowship post-training-
Preference for criteria
1. Training
2. People
3. Research
4. Fellowship Opportunities (in-house/ good match outside)

(This is not the final ROL from my side)

1. Kansas University - Kansas City
2. Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center -Baltimore
3. University of Louisville - Louisville
4. Cook County Hospital - Chicago
5. Mount Sinai SLW - NYC
6. Ochsner Clinic-New Orleans, LA
7. Cooper University - Camden, NJ
8. University of New Mexico Hospital - Albuquerque
10. Kansas University - Wichita
11. University of Arizona - South Campus - Tucson
13. University of Central Florida - Orlando

Many consider Bayview a university program and should be very high on your list as you have done here. I don’t know much about Kansas and you probably have your reasons for putting it higher. I would not rank any other program higher than Bayview.

I want to know if its a good program ...
I think it depends on what other interviews you were invited to, like @qPCR mentioned. Also, good program has a lot of definitions.
Broadly, it is a community hospital in NY with a lot of scutwork. I do not think it's the worst place you could end up but it is not considered at the same level as other community programs in NY like Jacobi or Mount Sinai Saint Luke's. You will probably be exposed to a lot of different pathology and high volume of patients but that does not equal good training. To me, how much effort they put into interview day matters... making me write down my scores and/if any attempts on a blank piece of paper the moment I come into the conference room just makes me feel like they are not organized or prepared or even care enough to print out my application. But that's just me! It really depends what you are comparing it against

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Many consider Bayview a university program and should be very high on your list as you have done here. I don’t know much about Kansas and you probably have your reasons for putting it higher. I would not rank any other program higher than Bayview.
I agree Bayview definitely should be where it is if not #1.

Something about ranking:
  1. You can change your rank order list as many times as you wish before deadline. My advice is always certify the list right after every time you change your list.
  2. Do not rank based on your perceived likelihood of being match in that program. For example, don't rank XXX before MGH because you think you have higher chance of matching into XXX.
  3. Do not send multiple No.1 letter.
  4. Don't worry if you do not plan to send No.1 letter.
  5. 50% match into No.1. 70% match into top 2, 80% match into top 3. You've done all you can do. Just wait and hope for the best!

Reactions: 12 users
If a program mentioned during the interview that they sponsor both J1 and H1b (either the program director or program coordinator), do we need to double check that they do offer H1b via email or that's enough? Thanks

Thanks!
Would you rank Louisville ahead of Bayview and Cook County?
What about
1.Kansas Uni vs Uni Louisville
2. Mount Sinai SLW vs Ochsner Clinic
And 3. Uni New Mexico vs Cooper Uni?

I thought you have personal preference to put Kansas U number 1...otherwise Bayview program is probably more well-known

does anyone have an insight on how to compare these 2 programs? No visa issues. want Fellowship in HEMONC.
Nassau university medical center (east meadow ny) (no name but in house Fellowship) not really sure about how it compares to others.
Richmond University medical center
Icahn Queens

I thought you have personal preference to put Kansas U number 1...otherwise Bayview program is probably more well-known
Thanks!
Yes-
You are right- I work at KU currently but it is more because I can maintain continuity of the work here if residency 3 years are from here too which gives it a little edge over bayview. However not sure as KU does not have the best fellowship match rates if we compare my top 5.
According to fellowship match rate for GI it would be
Uni Louisville> Bayview/UNM/Cooper > Ochsner> Cook County> KU> SLR>

Does anyone have any insight into these community programs in California? They are currently in the middle of my ROL and I’m wondering how to order them.
1. UCSF Fresno
2. Eisenhower Medical Center
3. Riverside Community Hospital
4. St Mary Long Beach

Last edited:
If a program mentioned during the interview that they sponsor both J1 and H1b (either the program director or program coordinator), do we need to double check that they do offer H1b via email or that's enough? Thanks
If you are unsure about visa sponsorship for some reason, it would be better to double check before you submit your rank list.

Hello folks,
I am a Non-US IMG, requires visa probably H1b but not sure yet.
Aim: Interventional Cardiology
I interviewed at 20 programs and this is my top 10 considering I won't go down from here (hopefully)
My preferences are an academically strong program with mix cultural diversity, decent cards fellowship and location.
Your inputs would be highly appreciated.

1. Jacobi Medical Center, Bronx, NY
2. Cook County, Chicago, IL
3. MetroHealth/Case Western, Cleveland, OH
4. Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, TX
5. University of New Mexico, Albuquerque, NM
6. Norwalk Hospital/ Yale University, Norwalk, CT
7. Rochester General Hospital, Rochester, NY
8. Abington Memorial/ Jefferson health, Abington, PA
9. Southern Illinois University, Springfield, IL
10. Saint Barnabas/RWJ, Livingston, NJ

Thank you.

Hello folks,
I interviewed at 20 programs and this is my top 10 considering I won't go down from here (hopefully)
My preferences are an academically strong program with mix cultural diversity, decent cards fellowship and location.

Thank you.
Take j1, you had some good j1s. You can get more program options for fellowship on j1

Reactions: 1 user
Hello folks,

Thank you.
Why metro health, uni affiliate above actual uni programs?

I’ll take a leap to suggest It looks like he values large academic public safety net hospitals. Jacobi, cook county, metrohealth fit that bill. And they’re all university affiliates as well. Einstein, rush, case western. But pretty good ones.

I found MetroHealth a strong community program with in house fellowships and being in Cleveland, you have future opportunities in University Hospitals and CCF too.
Talking about BUMC, 95% of residents are Texas AMGs so I felt a bit left out and residency is spending 3 years with your colleagues as a family so I would be more comfortable in a mix and culturally diverse program.
In that regard, UNM fulfills all the criteria, university program, in house fellowships and mix culture but the issue is location!! It's really confusing!!

I’ll take a leap to suggest It looks like he values large academic public safety net hospitals. Jacobi, cook county, metrohealth fit that bill. And they’re all university affiliates as well. Einstein, rush, case western. But pretty good ones.
Thanks for your words and even I didn't think in that way, but this makes sense!! Pretty impressive analysis.

I found MetroHealth a strong community program with in house fellowships and being in Cleveland, you have future opportunities in University Hospitals and CCF too.
Talking about BUMC, 95% of residents are Texas AMGs so I felt a bit left out and residency is spending 3 years with your colleagues as a family so I would be more comfortable in a mix and culturally diverse program.
In that regard, UNM fulfills all the criteria, university program, in house fellowships and mix culture but the issue is location!! It's really confusing!!

Initially I thought you rank these Univ programs lower due to visa issue. For people want to do these very competitive fellowships (GI, card...), reputation and connection of your residency programs highly associated with the number of IV.

Initially I thought you rank these Univ programs lower due to visa issue. For people want to do these very competitive fellowships (GI, card...), reputation and connection of your residency programs highly associated with the number of IV.
Of course, visa is the core reason but besides that those were the other ones.
Well, you are right, I am still not 100% sure with my ROL.
Talking about the reputation of program and number of ivs, all of my top 3 have a good reputation and candidates get enough number of ivs even for competitive fellowships.

I think you can leave the "95% Texas AMGs" out of your comment and just say you didn't feel comfortable or click with the residents. Actually, 10% of the residents are IMGs. Not only is it a very diverse group of people, but I doubt you met the 150+ residents in the program to claim that 95% are from Texas. Please don't give any false information since this will remain public for future applicants.

Would you guys rank university affiliated community programs ahead of community?

I think you can leave the "95% Texas AMGs" out of your comment and just say you didn't feel comfortable or click with the residents. Actually, 10% of the residents are IMGs. Not only is it a very diverse group of people, but I doubt you met the 150+ residents in the program to claim that 95% are from Texas. Please don't give any false information since this will remain public for future applicants.

I guess you need to reconsider your knowledge as BUMC ( it’s Dallas program and not Houston one) has only 14 seats per year so what made you count 150 residents I am not sure. Second thing, I know the program personally because I have worked there and they have taken only one IMG in last 7 years and you can check the residents list on website and see how many are from Texas medical schools, so even 95% is an underestimated figure.
Now who has to delete his/her comment?!!? And no question about giving false information

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
no, that is his reasoning and i asked why and he answered the question.
plus i think you did mix up the Dallas and Houston programs.

no, that is his reasoning and i asked why and he answered the question.
plus i think you did mix up the Dallas and Houston programs.

Mixed up programs. Neither one of those. Not a fan of acronyms, especially when the same one means multiple things haha. My bad!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Would you guys rank university affiliated community programs ahead of community?

Short answer: depends
Long answer: depends

Some uni are better than community, and some community are better than uni. need to be specific.

How about UAB - Montgomery vs. Advocate Masonic in Chicago?

If you're prioritizing location...it doesn't get much better than Advocate Masonic minus the absolute **** weather(currently colder than most places on earth; however). UAB-Montgomery is the better program. It depends what matters more to you. You're only going to get 1 day off per week. It doesn't really matter for most residents where we end up. If you have a family/significant other, I'd say location becomes more important. I am still unsure where I am putting AIMMC.

If you're prioritizing location...it doesn't get much better than Advocate Masonic minus the absolute **** weather(currently colder than most places on earth; however). UAB-Montgomery is the better program. It depends what matters more to you. You're only going to get 1 day off per week. It doesn't really matter for most residents where we end up. If you have a family/significant other, I'd say location becomes more important. I am still unsure where I am putting AIMMC.
Yeah that's the conclusion I've also come to. I don't care as much about location as program quality, as much as I'd rather live in Chicago than Montgomery. But then I also know that I'll be a better resident if I'm happier in my environment, and Advocate has 16 residents vs. 7 in UAB so I'm more likely to get along with my colleagues. Still, I'll probably be going with UAB. Neither is in my top 3 though so it may be moot lol. Appreciate the response.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah that's the conclusion I've also come to. I don't care as much about location as program quality, as much as I'd rather live in Chicago than Montgomery. But then I also know that I'll be a better resident if I'm happier in my environment, and Advocate has 16 residents vs. 7 in UAB so I'm more likely to get along with my colleagues. Still, I'll probably be going with UAB. Neither is in my top 3 though so it may be moot lol. Appreciate the response.

That's a good point. My #1 program is a smaller program. Advocate is ranked pretty highly for me because I have to think about my significant other and Chicago is just better for opportunities for individuals who are not in the medical field. We'll see. Maybe we'll even match together!!!

ROCHESTER GENERAL VS
BRIDGEPORT YALE VS
JACOBI VS
BEAUMONT

which one will you choose?
besides looking for good fellowship placement and training, also looking for good location and life balance.
in the fence between Hosp/cards. depending on visa

ROCHESTER GENERAL VS
BRIDGEPORT YALE VS
JACOBI VS
BEAUMONT

besides looking for good fellowship placement and training, also looking for good location and life balance.

Jacobi.

That's a good point. My #1 program is a smaller program. Advocate is ranked pretty highly for me because I have to think about my significant other and Chicago is just better for opportunities for individuals who are not in the medical field. We'll see. Maybe we'll even match together!!!
It would be my honor.

It seems like everyone wants to do GI or Cards, it is going to be even crazier in 3 years to get a fellowship!

On the bright side, interviews are officially finished for me! Wohoooooo, time to pray :)

Reactions: 15 users
ROCHESTER GENERAL VS
BRIDGEPORT YALE VS
JACOBI VS
BEAUMONT

I would go either to Yale, Beaumont or Rochester because of the things i have heard about Jacobi. I heard there is lot of scut work, no work life balance and its Bronx. Having interview in Jacobi, it wouldn't come in my top 10.

I would go either to Yale, Beaumont or Rochester because of the things i have heard about Jacobi. I heard there is lot of scut work, no work life balance and its Bronx. Having interview in Jacobi, it wouldn't come in my top 10.
i get the same feeling with jacobi. Even though is "new york" Bronx is so shady and 40 mins away by train from all good nyc stuff. From the programs I had interviews, probable the one with best fellowships placement, but still...

Please help me rank!
Considering hospitalist/cardiology :)

1. Lankenau Medical center
2. Rochester General Hospital
3. Zucker school of medicine at Hofstra/Northwell in Staten Island
4. Wayne state university
5. Steward Carney Hospital
6. Greenwich hospital
7. Texas tech El Paso university
8. Mercy hospital (St. Louis)
9. St Vincent charity medical center
10. University of Maryland PG hospital
11. Flushing hospital
12. St. Elizabeth Youngstown

Please help me rank!
Considering hospitalist/cardiology :)

1. Lankenau Medical center
2. Rochester General Hospital
3. Zucker school of medicine at Hofstra/Northwell in Staten Island
4. Wayne state university
5. Steward Carney Hospital
6. Greenwich hospital
7. Texas tech El Paso university
8. Mercy hospital (St. Louis)
9. St Vincent charity medical center
10. University of Maryland PG hospital
11. Flushing hospital
12. St. Elizabeth Youngstown
I have interviewed at Texas Tech El
Paso and Staten Island and personally I would switch them. Unless your basing it on location.

Wow you guys have some impressive programs on your list! Congrats!

Im looking into pursuing GI (so original I know) or Heme-Onc.
Location is pretty important to me (hoping for New York)
1-3 have in-house GI. 1 & 3 have in-house Heme-Onc as well.
I'm having trouble ranking 6-9.
I think I have top 5 and bottom 4 solidified but any feedback would still be appreciated!

1. Maimonides Medical Center
2. Montefiore Wakefield
3. Brooklyn Hospital Center
4. UPMC Mercy (have yet to go to my interview so this is tentative)
5. Texas Tech University El Paso

6. Memorial Health University Hospital (they matched GI this year and in the past; heme-onc for the first time this year)
7. DMC Sinai Grace
8. UCF Orlando
9. Flushing Hospital Center (I know they match nephrology & pulm crit pretty well but does anyone know about heme-onc?)

10. Hurley Medical Center
11. Marshfield Clinic
12. White River Health
13. Southeast Alabama
Wow you've ranked Hurley in Flint above some other programs. How bad are 11,12, 13?

Wow you guys have some impressive programs on your list! Congrats!

Im looking into pursuing GI (so original I know) or Heme-Onc.
Location is pretty important to me (hoping for New York)
1-3 have in-house GI. 1 & 3 have in-house Heme-Onc as well.
I'm having trouble ranking 6-9.
I think I have top 5 and bottom 4 solidified but any feedback would still be appreciated!

1. Maimonides Medical Center
2. Montefiore Wakefield
3. Brooklyn Hospital Center
4. UPMC Mercy (have yet to go to my interview so this is tentative)
5. Texas Tech University El Paso

6. Memorial Health University Hospital (they matched GI this year and in the past; heme-onc for the first time this year)
7. DMC Sinai Grace
8. UCF Orlando
9. Flushing Hospital Center (I know they match nephrology & pulm crit pretty well but does anyone know about heme-onc?)

10. Hurley Medical Center
11. Marshfield Clinic
12. White River Health
13. Southeast Alabama
From what I learned during my interview day, Flushing never had hemonc. Even nephro is a luxury for them. And one of my interviewers deliberately lied about having a lot of residents matching to my specialty of interest though residents already told they never had one. So they are my second last. Last one is another NY program :))

Status
Not open for further replies.