Intimidated People

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OP, you can become so awesome nobody can one up you ever again. Behold Dr. David M. Brown:

View attachment 189011

May his soul rest in peace.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_M._Brown
"You can't one up me. I'm literally a space doctor. I'm so far above your head missiles can't even hit me."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Also, tax cuts don't cause deficits. Spending more than you're taking in causes deficits. Since the media is largely controlled by democrat-sympathizers, we've largely decided to stop talking about the national debt. This is a massive mistake. Our spending on debt interest alone is now the second largest single expense in the US federal budget, and that's with record-low interest rates! If we don't start putting the debt on a downward trend sometime in the near future, we're going to face very tough times ahead.

Probably the only way to actually solve the budget crisis is to pass a balanced budget amendment, with an exception for times of recession or declared war. Politicians simply think too short term. The debt isn't Obama's problem, because he won't be around when it becomes a crisis. Yet, he'll enjoy the GDP and popularity boosts that the lavish spending provides.
The media have talked about debt and deficit more on Obama presidency than Bush presidency... It's not about democrat or republican... Believe it or not, there are many failed states in Asia and Africa, you go after a group of thugs or terrorists somewhere, they will regroup, find refuge or emerge somewhere else... Should we send troups at every place a group of thugs suddenly appear... I think the most effective way to fight these people is using our intelligence and drop some bombs on them... Anyway, both parties are the same. That is why I can only see myself voting for one person in the next election if he wins the nomination and that person is Rand Paul....

Obama current approval rating ~50%

Bush approval rating when he left office~22%, I guess even half of his own party hated him.

Those on the right are more principled, so yes, that's what happened (particularly those of the fiscally conservative/libertarian wing) when Pres. Bush moved further left following the loss of Congress in 2006 (i.e. bank bailouts). The left is just a bunch of bureaucratic lemmings in this sense.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a citizen of the city states that can indulge my bohemian tastes. The only politics that interest me are local ones.

The right, culturally speaking, is more accurate about how to deal with Islamists and fascistic religious regimes. And also about understanding the threat of Putin's Russia. But they're completely baths!t about how to do things or what's important. They're not interested in how the Israeli Kidon operates. They'd rather see the fireworks of American military technology and cinematic supremacy. It's good business too. And let's face it. That's pretty much one of the only businesses we still, for now, dominate--death machinery.

I care about others. Even the ones you don't--the freaks, the gays, transgendered, the godless, the sinners, etc. But you're right anyone who pisses on them can have mine in their faces.

I'll agree to join forces with you if it ever comes to Islamofascist rule. Which...yeah right....not in this bible thumping republic. That's Western Europe's problem. Until then we'll just have to agree to love completely separate countries like we do now.
Classic liberal technique- saying I don't care about freaks and gays and atheists etc. I never said that.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey derm, you don't have to pretend to e a girl btw, I told everybody you were coming back yesterday.
Huh? What r u talking about? This thread is not about politics. Ok, Barack Obama is the best President in the entire history of the U.S. The End. Happy now?

When you meet new people they often ask, "so what do you do?" I've stopped telling people I meet that I study medicine. Most people are cool but every now and then you get someone who then proceeds to try and one up you by telling you all the things they've accomplished or how medicine is so much easier than getting a PhD in some art/social science field. It's kinda ridiculous.

Next time someone I've met asks me so what do you do... I'm going to say I'm medical assistant or that I work in HR.

Ugh now I don't even want to go out with these people anymore.

/rant

The last time someone did this to me I took out my BLADE and STABBED THEM IN THE EYES!

Then I said HOW WILL YOU BE ABLE TO ACCOMPLISH ANYTHING NOW that you're BLEEDING OUT YOUR EYES!?

Reactions: 3 users
Them: So what do you do?

Me: I'm in med school.

Them: Woooow, you're going to be a doctor! That's great! I'll have to come see you when you graduate so you can give me the special discount ;)

Me: :eyebrow:

Man, you guys derailed the living **** out of this thread...

Most people don't really know what a medical student actually is. I could be in school for anything ranging from phlebotomy to neurosurgeon... It's always kinda hard to explain.

Reactions: 6 users
I stopped telling people what I do bc I either 1)get ranted at about how dentists all overcharge their patients or 2) get the "oh that's so cute! you're a dental assistant/hygienist/receptionist right??? is your boss nice to you??" line

Now I say "oh you know, healthcare stuff, which is soooooooo much more boring than job XYZ that you have! I wish I had your job!!!!!"

What's the deal with dentists overcharging? Seriously? Don't get me started on dental "insurance"....

PS. I hope your boss is nice to you :)

(hehe)

...Also I don't want to take the chance on someone telling me about their weirdo health problem and showing me something I can't unsee

Man, I can't even read Path on a plane without people next to me being all like "so you're a med student ... the last couple of days I've been having pain when I pee. I swear its not an STD...(2 min go by describing something that sounds awfully similar to gonorrhea)... what do you think it is?" Me: "Uhh, I'm just a medical student, you should really talk to a doctor."

...Another common thing for me is people think I go to the MD school an hour away, even though the DO school I go to is local, has been around several years longer, and is 4x the size.

DO school is like a tech school right? At least you don't live next to a top-20 MD school, and then have to say, "No, I go to the DO school 2 hrs away".

...Another thing that drives me crazy is when people preface their questions (in lecture) with stuff like:

"As medical students..."
"As future physicians..."
"As a student physician..."

This is the most obnoxious thing I've ever heard. Do students actually say stuff like this? Thank God for PBL and virtually no lectures.

Reactions: 1 users
Back on topic.

The poopologist's joke makes the point well. Being offended by other people's estimation of how hard our training is--is totally pointless. Especially when most of the public thinks medical school is that thing they advertise on Maury about getting your life together and training for exciting new jobs in the health care fields.

People understand doctor. Especially when they need you. Nurses of course take advantage of all the blurred confusion and stupidity. And of course people who are highly educated in careers that don't provide useful services or even useless jobs are going to have haterish opinions. Until they need you.

I have no interest in being known as anything, unless it's important to being effective at my job.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
h9ZM8xIUz2Awg.gif

That happens a lot.

"I'm in med school". "Cool, are you in a track to be a doctor, or do you wanna be a dentist or vet?"

"I'm in residency training for family medicine." "Cool, so do you want to be a surgeon when you're done?".

Them: So what do you do?

Me: I'm in med school.

Them: Woooow, you're going to be a doctor! That's great! I'll have to come see you when you graduate so you can give me the special discount ;)

Me: :eyebrow:
Me: I'm going to be a psychiatrist.

Them: Nevermind.

Reactions: 4 users
Me(in the past): I'm a dentist

Them: OMG, I hate dentists, I didn't go to the dentist for years and then my tooth got infected and I had a huge abscess! Wanna look at my teeth?

.....NO

Man, you guys derailed the living **** out of this thread...

Most people don't really know what a medical student actually is. I could be in school for anything ranging from phlebotomy to neurosurgeon... It's always kinda hard to explain.

That's because nurses started calling nursing school med school, and PAs, and apparently med techs now. It's ridiculous and kind of insulting that people think med tech and most nurses training is even comparable to a physician's training. Not saying their jobs aren't important, just that their training is a fraction of the work and difficulty compared to what physicians do.

I also hear the same thing for vets and dentists. Has the public really never heard of vet school or dental school? I'd imagine dentists and vets get equally annoyed when people say stuff like, 'oh, so that's like doctor school or something, right?' The only other field I've even heard people call med school that I don't mind is pods, and that's just because a lot of the pods schools have most of their classes with med students until clinicals. Seriously though, just because you're going into healthcare doesn't mean it's medical school...

Rant over.

Last edited:
That's because nurses started calling nursing school med school, and PAs, and apparently med techs now. It's ridiculous and kind of insulting that people think med tech and most nurses training is even comparable to a physician's training. Not saying their jobs aren't important, just that their training is a fraction of the work and difficulty compared to what physicians do.

I also hear the same thing for vets and dentists. Has the public really never heard of vet school or dental school? I'd imagine dentists and vets get equally annoyed when people say stuff like, 'oh, so that's like doctor school or something, right?' The only other field I've even heard people call med school that I don't mind is pods, and that's just because a lot of the pods schools have most of their classes with med students until clinicals. Seriously though, just because you're going into healthcare doesn't mean it's medical school...

Rant over.

A significant number of dental schools/students take most of their classes with med students till D3- when our "clinicals" start. It always amuses me when physicians stick themselves on some pedestal and assume that all of us lowly non MD/DO's really wanted to be just like them and miserably failed coz we were too stupid, and therefore had to settle for our pathetic second rate professions. The number of threads I've seen on SDN about "failed/failing med school- is dental school a good choice?!?!?!" are really lol-worthy. Everyone has their own reasons for choosing their career path- I'm sure there are cases of people failing out of med school and entering a different health care profession. Personally, I'm incredibly glad I realized early on that I would never be comfortable handling any sort of end of life related stuff, and dodged the incredibly expensive mistake of going to med school. I only call it a mistake *in my case* because third year would have happened and I would have dropped out. I'll take my DDS and my sanity over that.

A significant number of dental schools/students take most of their classes with med students till D3- when our "clinicals" start. It always amuses me when physicians stick themselves on some pedestal and assume that all of us lowly non MD/DO's really wanted to be just like them and miserably failed coz we were too stupid, and therefore had to settle for our pathetic second rate professions. The number of threads I've seen on SDN about "failed/failing med school- is dental school a good choice?!?!?!" are really lol-worthy. Everyone has their own reasons for choosing their career path- I'm sure there are cases of people failing out of med school and entering a different health care profession. Personally, I'm incredibly glad I realized early on that I would never be comfortable handling any sort of end of life related stuff, and dodged the incredibly expensive mistake of going to med school. I only call it a mistake *in my case* because third year would have happened and I would have dropped out. I'll take my DDS and my sanity over that.

Exactly! Same thing with vets. Not the classes part, but the fact that their 4 years of school are just as hard yet the public seems to think people take those routes because they couldn't get into med school. I know far more people that couldn't get into med school and went to law school than those that tried for med but ended up going dental (1 person). And realistically that person applied once to schools she had no shot at and just decided guess I'll try dental and got lucky.

Classic liberal technique- saying I don't care about freaks and gays and atheists etc. I never said that.

wait till they call you uncivilized. lol the way libs debate is so scary bad

Recent response when I told someone my plans for next year: You're going to medical school? So you want to be a nurse or something?

Rant over.

Really? Since when? I've never heard a PA call it medical school although I have heard physician assistants being described as "basically a doctor". Which is sorta true but not really. I've never heard a nurse call their school med school. They have a lot of pride in their schooling, at least until some of them hit "doctorate school". There's no comparison to be made because their training is different from ours. I've never compared my schooling to a pharmacy school and I don't compare it to nursing school. There's really no comparison to be made there. I don't know enough about podiatry school to have an opinion about it but their admission standards are not very rigorous. But these kinds of word games are being played all over the place

I have no end of respect for my students. This is what medical school would have done to me!

upload_2015-2-2_9-9-6.jpeg

Nope

This is part of the conversation:

Me: Did you move here for work?
German Girl: Yes I'm an aupair. You?
Me: No I'm in school
German Girl: What do you study
Me: I'm a grad student
German girl: What do you study
Me: I'm in medical school
German girl: You know i've heard that medicine is so much easier than getting a PhD. My friend is studying literature at local CSU.
Me: Cool
German girl: How long is medicine program?
Me: Everything considered, probably about the same as a PhD program.
German girl2: But seriously. Don't you think it's easier. Like you don't even have to write a thesis right? PhDs put way more hours into their program than MDs.

------

It doesn't matter whether a PHD, MD, JD, medical assistant certificate, or being an astronaut is harder. This conversation would have been rude regardless of the field being bashed. By doing this, you're basically implying another person's accomplishments are not worthwhile or something to be proud of.

I don't think PAs do, the general public does though. Same thing with nurses, but they are hit or miss. Most I've encountered say nursing school and are proud of it. I've met several, mostly younger ones, that say med school though. Example:

I was talking to one of my neighbors while I was walking my dog and when I told her I was in med school, she said, 'oh, I remember those days, it sucked but it really wasn't as bad as everyone told me it would be.' We talked for a while and she said she worked in the ER and sounded pretty legit until she said something along the lines of 'the physician said...' and I got confused. I asked her what she meant and she said she was a nurse. I asked her if she went to med school and quit or something and she said, 'well, I went to med school to be a nurse'. When I asked if she meant nursing school she got really offended and defensive. She said, 'you're just a first year, I have more knowledge in my pinky than you'll have in 4 years!!' After that I just said 'uhhhh, okay' and walked away. Haven't talked to her since, haha.

This is the most obnoxious thing I've ever heard. Do students actually say stuff like this? Thank God for PBL and virtually no lectures.

Yes.. omg YES they do and it's infuriating. I mean, I get that it's fairly difficult to get into med school, but being a med student really isn't that hard or special.

Last edited:
I don't think PAs do, the general public does though. Same thing with nurses, but they are hit or miss. Most I've encountered say nursing school and are proud of it. I've met several, mostly younger ones, that say med school though. Example:

I was talking to one of my neighbors while I was walking my dog and when I told her I was in med school, she said, 'oh, I remember those days, it sucked but it really wasn't as bad as everyone told me it would be.' We talked for a while and she said she worked in the ER and sounded pretty legit until she said something along the lines of 'the physician said...' and I got confused. I asked her what she meant and she said she was a nurse. I asked her if she went to med school and quit or something and she said, 'well, I went to med school to be a nurse'. When I asked if she meant nursing school she got really offended and defensive. She said, 'you're just a first year, I have more knowledge in my pinky than you'll have in 4 years!!' After that I just said 'uhhhh, okay' and walked away. Haven't talked to her since, haha.
Good Lord....

I havent seen anything like this in person. But I remember watching a documentary on resident training and an intern from I think Harvard was at Mass general in EM and he was getting berated by someone who claimed she knew what was going on and that the doc should be helping more and giving her mom the medicine she needed. Then continued to say she "did medical school stuff" (ie med tech program) so she knows more than him.

He then got soooo much flack for "talking down" to this person. But its like how do you not even remotely talk down? The person obviously has no freaking clue what they are talking about and are either ignorant to what med school is or are lying that they went through med school.

Rant over.

who cares.

let them play in their corner and have their fun. they'll quit playing doctor when the **** hits the fan or a decision has to be made outside of DM/HTN.

with that said, all of my experiences with PAs have been pleasant. their role in healthcare is necessary, and i am happy that they embrace their role (usually).

Yes.. omg YES they do and it's infuriating. I mean, I get that it's fairly difficult to get into med school, but being a med student really isn't that hard or special.
That stuff you quoted was written by @hallowmann, I don't understand why my user name appears above it... I have no idea why it shows that I was the one who wrote it...

That stuff you quoted was written by @hallowmann, I don't understand why my user name appears above it... I have no idea why it shows that I was the one who wrote it...
Don't know how that happened.. I fixed it just now though.

Just say "I'm training to become a doctor."

It's vague and gets the point across

The media have talked about debt and deficit more on Obama presidency than Bush presidency... It's not about democrat or republican... Believe it or not, there are many failed states in Asia and Africa, you go after a group of thugs or terrorists somewhere, they will regroup, find refuge or emerge somewhere else... Should we send troups at every place a group of thugs suddenly appear... I think the most effective way to fight these people is using our intelligence and drop some bombs on them... Anyway, both parties are the same. That is why I can only see myself voting for one person in the next election if he wins the nomination and that person is Rand Paul....

Your response is to someone else's quote, why is my name on it?

Good Lord....

I havent seen anything like this in person. But I remember watching a documentary on resident training and an intern from I think Harvard was at Mass general in EM and he was getting berated by someone who claimed she knew what was going on and that the doc should be helping more and giving her mom the medicine she needed. Then continued to say she "did medical school stuff" (ie med tech program) so she knows more than him.

He then got soooo much flack for "talking down" to this person. But its like how do you not even remotely talk down? The person obviously has no freaking clue what they are talking about and are either ignorant to what med school is or are lying that they went through med school.

IIRC, that sounds an awful lot like Boston Med (2010, I believe). Funny stuff! Well, not for the intern.

Its sad that people define themselves by their job. I am more than just a medical student or a doctor. I AM

I also hear the same thing for vets and dentists. Has the public really never heard of vet school or dental school? I'd imagine dentists and vets get equally annoyed when people say stuff like, 'oh, so that's like doctor school or something, right?'

Yep, happens with vets too. Recently I told someone I was in vet school, and he replied "oh that's neat, my niece is in vet school too!". I asked where, and he said "oh here at the local community college, she's already half way through!". I tried to clarify "oh, you mean she's becoming a veterinary technician?", and he quickly said "no, she told me it was vet school!". Ok...
o_O

I stopped telling people what I do bc I either 1)get ranted at about how dentists all overcharge their patients or 2) get the "oh that's so cute! you're a dental assistant/hygienist/receptionist right??? is your boss nice to you??" line

Now I say "oh you know, healthcare stuff, which is soooooooo much more boring than job XYZ that you have! I wish I had your job!!!!!"

Are you from the Indian/South Asian community?

Yep, happens with vets too. Recently I told someone I was in vet school, and he replied "oh that's neat, my niece is in vet school too!". I asked where, and he said "oh here at the local community college, she's already half way through!". I tried to clarify "oh, you mean she's becoming a veterinary technician?", and he quickly said "no, she told me it was vet school!". Ok...
o_O

Maybe everyone already thought this, but I'm just now coming to the realization that med students/vet students/dental students/other professional students think they are super special because of people training for the technician/support trying to make it sound like they are in the professional program. Obviously not the only reason, but it might make major contributions.. right? I mean, if you're a vet student and you hear about all the vet tech students bragging about how they are in "vet school", you might think to yourself "wow, someone thinks so highly of vet school that they would pretend they're in it? I must be pretty special."

I have several facebook friends who are doing non-med graduate programs at a medical school and their facebook education says "studying medicine at SOM". I don't understand why someone would want to misrepresent themself like that. I mean if I'm in med tech school and I tell all my friends/family that I'm in "med school", won't I ultimately be pretty embarrassed 5 years from now when I'm at a family event and someone introduces me as "this is my niece/nephew the doctor".. and then I have to explain that I'm a med tech and not a doctor? I also don't get why people can't just be proud of what they are doing. I get absolutely no satisfaction out of telling people or letting people know that I'm a med student. Like I said before, if someone asks "what do you do?" I say "I'm still in school". Sometimes if they ask "school for what?" I'll say "I'm in med school", but if I know they aren't familiar with med school or other healthcare programs I tell them "Nothing in particular, I'm still weighing my options". And that's not really a lie because med school is a fairly non-specific program when you consider all the different med specialties, academics/non-academic, etc.

Maybe everyone already thought this, but I'm just now coming to the realization that med students/vet students/dental students/other professional students think they are super special because of people training for the technician/support trying to make it sound like they are in the professional program. Obviously not the only reason, but it might make major contributions.. right? I mean, if you're a vet student and you hear about all the vet tech students bragging about how they are in "vet school", you might think to yourself "wow, someone thinks so highly of vet school that they would pretend they're in it? I must be pretty special."

I have several facebook friends who are doing non-med graduate programs at a medical school and their facebook education says "studying medicine at SOM". I don't understand why someone would want to misrepresent themself like that. I mean if I'm in med tech school and I tell all my friends/family that I'm in "med school", won't I ultimately be pretty embarrassed 5 years from now when I'm at a family event and someone introduces me as "this is my niece/nephew the doctor".. and then I have to explain that I'm a med tech and not a doctor? I also don't get why people can't just be proud of what they are doing. I get absolutely no satisfaction out of telling people or letting people know that I'm a med student.

I never make the jump from wow this person is trying to pretend that they're doing what I do so I must be special. It's not flattering, just annoying. They're diluting your brand. When everyone claims to have it, it loses its cache

Last edited:
I never make the jump from wow this person is trying to pretend that they're doing what I do so I must be special. It's not flattering, just annoying. They're diluting your brand

Good point. I've never really thought about how I feel towards people who do that. I don't understand the point of it, but at the same time I guess I don't really care. I think I just wish everyone would go about their business, do what they need to do, and leave it at that.

Many people wrongly equate physicians with money and intelligence...

Many people wrongly equate physicians with money and intelligence...

Not sure it's entirely wrongly... it is a distribution so sure there are some stupid docs (like this bozo) and some docs who aren't reimbursed well. There is a wide range of overlap with other professions. But for the most part, physicians do pretty well on the distribution of intelligence and wealth. Doctors and surgeons top the list of average wages (BLS) and IQ (fig, pdf) across occupations.

I am the opposite of what people equate physicians to then. I was good at memorizing, but suck at actual "intelligent" classes. :O

real talk...isnt dental school about the same difficulty as med school?

It is. My cousin is currently attending a dental school where the first 2 years of didactic courses are with the medical students. PLUS they have lab every day which he often claims is more stressful than his actual science classes.

dental school is efficacious to where the graduates can actually practice dentistry immediately. meanwhile we have to do a 25214314 year residency + fellowship first.