Iowa State c/o 2023 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine still does not say anything regarding application status. :shrug:

Send a message through the message portal! I would ask them what’s going on with your application...

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Im actually excited to see that if we get in we can track( LA or SA etc) from year one.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im actually excited to see that if we get in we can track( LA or SA etc) from year one.
We do not do tracking. If you have personal interests in any area you mainly get that advanced knowledge/experience through your electives and clubs. When you reach your fourth year clinical year that’s when you pick whether you will be tracking large, mixed, or small animal medicine. But even though say you track exclusively small animal medicine you still take a couple required large animal rotations.

Reactions: 1 user
We do not do tracking. If you have personal interests in any area you mainly get that advanced knowledge/experience through your electives and clubs. When you reach your fourth year clinical year that’s when you pick whether you will be tracking large, mixed, or small animal medicine. But even though say you track exclusively small animal medicine you still take a couple required large animal rotations.
Their email confused me a bit but I like that too. I have had a high percentage of clients of my vet also want us to look at barn dogs and cats. Everyone should know a bit of both.

Their email confused me a bit but I like that too. I have had a high percentage of clients of my vet also want us to look at barn dogs and cats. Everyone should know a bit of both.
NAVLE covers all animals, so you’ve got to know pigs, cattle, horses, dogs, cats, etc to pass and practice medicine! Even if you never see anything outside your area of specialization.

Not sure if I’ve said this in the post before but I’m currently doing Iowa State’s 1 year biomedical science masters program that is within the college of vet med if anyone has any questions about it!

Not sure if I’ve said this in the post before but I’m currently doing Iowa State’s 1 year biomedical science masters program that is within the college of vet med if anyone has any questions about it!
That sounds really cool! What drew you to that program/how did you hear about it? What do you like/dislike about it? What kind of material does it cover?

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

That sounds really cool! What drew you to that program/how did you hear about it? What do you like/dislike about it? What kind of material does it cover?

I did the program as well last year and graduated this past may! i believe i have spoken to you on facebook @Cbabcock22 now that I see your profile picture lol
and @mypetmoose i can answer any questions you may have about the program :)

Been so busy I was able to "forget" about my application status for a brief week or two. Checked it tonight and found out I made it to committee review!!!
FYI my cumulative and science GPA were not stellar by any means, but last 45 GPA saved me. Have hope people!!! Don't let the number define who you are!!

Reactions: 2 users
Iowa State doesn’t use cumulative beyond making sure you meet their 2.5 minimum! :)
Dont feel bad my cumGPA sucked due to hardships but my science and last 45 were close to what they have for their avg accepted so heres hoping.

Members don't see this ad :)
If we submit fall transcripts early do you think it could speed things up at all? I know February is the stated time but it would be awesome to know sooner... its probably just wishful thinking haha

If we submit fall transcripts early do you think it could speed things up at all? I know February is the stated time but it would be awesome to know sooner... its probably just wishful thinking haha

haha no i wish. I talked to Kathy in admissions and she said earliest we will hear anything is February and we should know by Feb 15th.

Does anyone know if we need to send summer transcripts if they were already included with our VMCAS application?

Is it true that the committee doesn't know anything about your academics once you've been passed to committee review? I feel like I heard that somewhere but I may also have made that up.

Is it true that the committee doesn't know anything about your academics once you've been passed to committee review? I feel like I heard that somewhere but I may also have made that up.
From my understanding, after you are put into committee review, they will review your application and experiences without your grades (that way they don't let grades affect their view on you). After, the last thing they look at are your academics to finish your score. Academics are still a large part of your score. I'm pretty sure they only look at your Science GPA and last 45 credit GPA. They don't see any individual grades or cumulative grades.

Reactions: 1 users

TheGoldenMila explained it just as it was explained to me via the messaging system. They will recalculate our grades in Feb, including fall 2018 classes if we took any & then they will see grades.

TheGoldenMila explained it just as it was explained to me via the messaging system. They will recalculate our grades in Feb, including fall 2018 classes if we took any & then they will see grades.
Bless my two 4.0 semesters my gpa for last 45 went from 3.3 to 3.5. Iowa is one of the few schools I have hope for.

I dont want to know :( too much heartbreak this cycle im hoping iowa being late in the cycle thins the field besides instate.

I thought they said “by the end of March”? I applied there as well. We have to send decisions by April 15th so I’d assume they’d send decisions before April.

Have you gotten an email on application review updates or something? I haven’t gotten anything from them since the supplemental app submission. I’ve emailed Ms. Henshue about a few things but that it.

I thought they said “by the end of March”? I applied there as well. We have to send decisions by April 15th so I’d assume they’d send decisions before April.
On the website it said april 1st was the very latest date. I think we will hear back before then. ISU definately we will and looking at last years we should know final descisions by March?

On the website it said april 1st was the very latest date. I think we will hear back before then. ISU definately we will and looking at last years we should know final descisions by March?

Yeah I’m just now catching up on the UW-M forum lol

At ISU, everyone knows their application status come February 15th, no sooner, no later, right? I just keep wondering if there's a secret cabal of early admittees that are sworn to secrecy of their acceptance.

Reactions: 4 users
At ISU, everyone knows their application status come February 15th, no sooner, no later, right? I just keep wondering if there's a secret cabal of early admittees that are sworn to secrecy of their acceptance.
That is correct, yes, with the one notable exception of UNL/ISU applicants (they typically find out earlier).

For everyone who has already sent in transcripts, how many days (if sent electronically) did it take for Iowa State to update the portal to received? I sent mine in recently, but haven't gotten a confirmation. Thinking about re-sending it or calling if I don't hear soon...

For everyone who has already sent in transcripts, how many days (if sent electronically) did it take for Iowa State to update the portal to received? I sent mine in recently, but haven't gotten a confirmation. Thinking about re-sending it or calling if I don't hear soon...

I initially sent mine via postal mail mid December and they never received it. I sent it again electronically & it was updated within a day or so once it was retrieved.

That was a little over a week ago so it may be a lot more people sending transcripts now since they sent out the reminder email.

Since Iowa State took away their GRE requirement (like Michigan State), do you think they also had a huge increase in applicants?

I sent mine in the 20th of dec by snail mail. Isu got them 26th and it was updated shortly after.

Since Iowa State took away their GRE requirement (like Michigan State), do you think they also had a huge increase in applicants?
Probably which makes it hard and more competitive in the long run for the folks they were trying to make it more holistic for ( low income, diverse applicants, non trad, 1st gen etc.) But it is what it is. Im already planning next years app because im pessimistic about my chances. I want to hope for good outcomes at my last three and I do hope but this cycle has really kicked me in the behind.

Probably which makes it hard and more competitive in the long run for the folks they were trying to make it more holistic for ( low income, diverse applicants, non trad, 1st gen etc.) But it is what it is. Im already planning next years app because im pessimistic about my chances. I want to hope for good outcomes at my last three and I do hope but this cycle has really kicked me in the behind.

Don’t be pessimistic! I’m a firm believer that what you think will manifest itself in your life! Think positive!

Is this your first cycle applying?

I know you guys are patiently waiting, but I was 87 on the waitlist last year and was accepted in May! Hopefully, that gives you some hope! I started last fall, and unfortunately, I had to take a medical leave and now will be joining you guys next fall. I completed most of the semester and got ill right before finals so I can answer any questions you may have about the classes. Feel free to send me a message, and I will try to help! I live in the trailer park and love it!

Reactions: 6 users
I know you guys are patiently waiting, but I was 87 on the waitlist last year and was accepted in May! Hopefully, that gives you some hope! I started last fall, and unfortunately, I had to take a medical leave and now will be joining you guys next fall. I completed most of the semester and got ill right before finals so I can answer any questions you may have about the classes. Feel free to send me a message, and I will try to help! I live in the trailer park and love it!

This is certainly encouraging! Thanks :)

Hope you're doing better!

Thank you for this information!