Iowa State C/O 2025 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OOS alternate!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
OOS declined. Congrats to everyone who got in or who got waitlisted! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS alternate, just took myself off the list. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Is that an acceptance? Confused but wanting to celebrate!!

Attachments

• CF729379-C04C-4861-B71B-A834AD70943F.png
    CF729379-C04C-4861-B71B-A834AD70943F.png
    157.1 KB · Views: 302
  • Love
Members don't see this ad :)
OOS accepted! International-Canadian

OOS accepted!!! May decline my seat if i get accepted to tOSU!

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
OOS alternate. Got accepted elsewhere, so I'll likely decline.

OOS acceptance via the portal. I will be declining since I have gotten into other schools I'm more interested in. Best wishes for everyone on the waitlist!

OOS accepted via portal but will decline.

Reactions: 4 users
Still no email or official message in the portal. :eek: Just the application status update.

when do they start letting alternates know?
all depends on how quickly people decline their seat. I was OOS alternative last year, they gave us our number around mid March if i remember correctly. I was in the early 20s on the waitlist and got accepted right around April 1st, so i still had time to make my decision before the April 15th deadline. The year prior to mine I was told they went into the 200's on the alternative list, don't give up hope!

Do any current students have any insight on student life and what they love most about ISU?? :)

Do any current students have any insight on student life and what they love most about ISU?? :)
Hello! I am a current VM1 at isu and can offer some insight. Do you have any specific questions? Right now, social activities are difficult due to COVID but clubs are still offering wetlabs and lectures with limited capacity, virtual lectures, etc.

Current ISU students! What made you choose this school and what are the best benefits/ worst things about it

Did anyone not get an email and just see their portal?

Same here! I imagine they'll send out an email package of the next steps sometime tomorrow?
I really hope so. I know a lot of people already got their acceptance emails. I wonder why we haven't gotten ours. It's making me really anxious.

Current ISU students! What made you choose this school and what are the best benefits/ worst things about it
I chose ISU over the others I was accepted to because it is my in-state (also attended isu for undergrad) and you really can’t beat in state tuition, those OOS loans can really rack up and I didn’t want to have to deal with that coming out. I was also offered a $10,000 scholarship which certainly sweetened the deal. The administration and professors here really go above and beyond to help everyone to make sure no one falls behind and they also make an effort to get to know all the students. There are a ton of opportunities to get involved in clubs and leadership here as well, which is really nice. Probably my least favorite thing is the amount of study spaces. It may just be extra in demand due to covid and people needing a place at the school to watch lectures but especially around finals time, it can be difficult to get a spot if you don’t plan in advance. Otherwise I really have enjoyed my first year (as much as a vet student can😅)!

Reactions: 1 users
I really hope so. I know a lot of people already got their acceptance emails. I wonder why we haven't gotten ours. It's making me really anxious.
Okay, now it's actually starting to freak me out......Do any upperclassmen remember if they received an email right away?

Okay, now it's actually starting to freak me out......Do any upperclassmen remember if they received an email right away?
I was accepted off of the alternate list and just remember getting an email saying I had a new message in my portal. For right now, I would trust your status in your portal since those are updated manually! The message/email will come eventually. You could try emailing or calling tomorrow, however ISU canceled in-person classes again tomorrow until 12pm CST due to the extreme cold (in case you don't get an answer, that may be why). I am fairly certain "admit" means you were accepted, so congrats, and take a deep breath!! ;)

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
"The message" came 7:55am cst

• Love
OOS acceptance! I can't believe I'm finally saying that!!! I got 6 other rejections this cycle. Will be waiting for my IS admission decision before I make my final choice.

Reactions: 9 users
o
OOS acceptance! I can't believe I'm finally saying that!!! I got 6 other rejections this cycle. Will be waiting for my IS admission decision before I make my final choice.
congrats!!!

• Love
I got accepted to a few schools in addition to ISU; All of them being OOS or private institutions for me. My IS is Davis so had I been accepted there I would be spending slightly less than what I am now on living and tuition (I.e what I would have saved in tuition, I’d spend on living)

Ames is a college town so during the school year and during non Covid times there’s always something going on here. The staff at the school are absolutely incredible and are willing to work with students to succeed in their classes. I also am from Los Angeles and was afraid of the cold weather/ small town feel but aside from braving -35 degree weather, I love everything about this place.

Reactions: 4 users
I chose ISU over 2 other offers because 1. it was cheapest for me (I'm OOS), 2. I'm interested in large animal and they have an amazing reputation, can offer alot with the location, and 3. also have a DVM/MPH dual degree program (masters in public health) you can do if interested. I chose ISU without ever going to Iowa or seeing the school bc of COIVD, but looking back even if i did I would've made the same choice. There are opportunities here for so much large animal experience, on top of the traditional small animal experience you will find at any vet school. For me, the worst part is being a plane trip from home, and how flat Iowa is- mountains are more my style. Other than that people are super nice, Ames is cute and convenient, and the trailer park next to the vet school is the best idea ever. (for those who dont know, there is a trailer park called Old Orchard, right next to the vet school. so most students buy a mobile home from 4th years selling and moving out, or rent from a fellow vet student, and can walk to school in under 5 min. Extremely convenient, super cozy, surrounding by a little community of vet students, and cheap rent.)

Reactions: 5 users
I was accepted off of the alternate list and just remember getting an email saying I had a new message in my portal. For right now, I would trust your status in your portal since those are updated manually! The message/email will come eventually. You could try emailing or calling tomorrow, however ISU canceled in-person classes again tomorrow until 12pm CST due to the extreme cold (in case you don't get an answer, that may be why). I am fairly certain "admit" means you were accepted, so congrats, and take a deep breath!! ;)
When did you receive your acceptance?

Tried to look this up online, but had a hard time finding this info: how many OOS seats are available vs IS seats?