Iowa State C/O 2025 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It says due - no required coursework and they haven’t changed it. 😕
They go through it individually so they may not have gotten to yours yet. I'm sure a lot of students sent in their transcripts recently. If nothing changes in the next couple of days maybe you could call them to clarify if your transcript was received! I'm sure everything will be fine!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all! Current ISU VM3 and vet ambassador here. Just to give you some relief so that you are not stressing as much until February decisions: If your application is in committee review, it will stay that way until February 15th when decisions go out. So you can "relax" until then! ;)
Quick question! I am applying for the second time to ISU and last year for the class of 2024 my rejection on my status page was listed as "below committee review cutoff (phase 2)" and was just wondering if anybody knew what that meant so I can kind of gauge my resume for the current cycle because I feel I have hopefully improved!!

Quick question! I am applying for the second time to ISU and last year for the class of 2024 my rejection on my status page was listed as "below committee review cutoff (phase 2)" and was just wondering if anybody knew what that meant so I can kind of gauge my resume for the current cycle because I feel I have hopefully improved!!
It could be that your GPA or sGPA may be lower than the cut off for the cycle or that you are missing a pre-req? that’s usually the only cuts they make before the Feb deadline!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It could be that your GPA or sGPA may be lower than the cut off for the cycle or that you are missing a pre-req? that’s usually the only cuts they make before the Feb deadline!
I was talking about for last cycle that was what my portal said when I got the news on feb 15th last year, this cycle I am still in committee review and passed the academic review. I was just wondering what my rejection last cycle kind of meant as in how far I actually made it through committee review because it said (stage 2) or something. I am just hoping for better results this time since I have greatly improved my app

I was talking about for last cycle that was what my portal said when I got the news on feb 15th last year, this cycle I am still in committee review and passed the academic review. I was just wondering what my rejection last cycle kind of meant as in how far I actually made it through committee review because it said (stage 2) or something. I am just hoping for better results this time since I have greatly improved my app

Hello! So I am not 100% sure, because my application way back when only ever said "in committee review", and I am not in Ames right now to be able to ask the admissions peeps. But I would assume that it meant you were rejected due to not making one of the GPA cutoffs and/or missing a certain requirement, pre-req, document, etc. If your application is currently under committee review in your portal, then you passed the academic review and will not hear back now until the February 15th decisions! Best of luck and let me know if you have any other questions! :)

Hi! I was wondering if any IS students got in with an average/lower science GPA? I had a rough fall semester and pretty much had straight B's with a C+ and an A. My science gpa dropped a lot to a 3.1 and my last 45 went from a 3.6 to 3.4. I'm already past academic review and am in committee review, so I wasn't sure how much my fall grades will impact it. I think I have some interesting experience and quite a bit of diversified veterinary experience, but I'm still worried. I know the IS applicant pool is much smaller, but I'm trying to plan some for next year. I have a spot in the one year masters at ISU, so I know that'll increase my GPA if I need to reapply!

Reactions: 1 users
I’m OS and in the portal is says “in committee review” and I was just curious if anyone knew when we should hear from them With an update?

I’m OS and in the portal is says “in committee review” and I was just curious if anyone knew when we should hear from them With an update?
No. Rejections that happen this early on are usually because the applicant either doesn't meet minimum requirements or met those requirements but had a science GPA lower than the cutoff they established for this year (and therefore didn't pass Academic Review). For those who passed Academic Review into Committee Review, final admissions decisions won't be released until February 15th.

We wont hear anything until Feburary 15th, they will release acceptances and rejections

Anyone that knows a little about ISU or current students, what kind of unique clinical rotation opportunities are offered for students (zoological/exotics possibly)? Also, how has COVID been impacting the current class & their learning (online vs not)?

Anyone that knows a little about ISU or current students, what kind of unique clinical rotation opportunities are offered for students (zoological/exotics possibly)? Also, how has COVID been impacting the current class & their learning (online vs not)?
As for zoo/exotics you currently have to reach out on your own to clinics/zoos and take these rotations as electives aside from our one month block with the Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines. There are a large number of my classmates (CO 2021) that have done their externships at many places all over the country. We have been back in clinics since July (mostly as some rotations have us back half time), we are supposed to have minimal to no contact with clients (depending on in hospital rotations vs field service/externships). There is a plan to have us back interacting with clients by the end of the school year. The underclassmen have been hybrid for the fall and now spring semester.

did anyone else get an email about there being a delay in uploading vmcas info/fafsa? I am confused as to what it means

did anyone else get an email about there being a delay in uploading vmcas info/fafsa? I am confused as to what it means
When you send FAFSA and ISU receives it an automated message is sent to you saying you don’t have an application. So basically that update was saying if you got that email don’t worry or panic it’s fine and you’re still in committee review. I saw it as a way to know that my FAFSA was received by them!

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, Would Anyone happen to know the deadline for filing FAFSA? I know to qualify for the HPSL your application has to be submitted before March 1st, however, due to some logistical issues (I'm currently living out of the country and can't get a social security number until I come back) I might not even be able to create a FSA ID and apply for FAFSA until after that.

Also, Would Anyone happen to know the deadline for filing FAFSA? I know to qualify for the HPSL your application has to be submitted before March 1st, however, due to some logistical issues (I'm currently living out of the country and can't get a social security number until I come back) I might not even be able to create a FSA ID and apply for FAFSA until after that.
June 30th is the deadline!
This is probably a dumb question but is the FAFSA required?
The FAFSA is not required but i would highly recommend doing it - they offer unsubsidized and subsidized loans that tend to have less interest than private loans and are easier for government forgiveness (a lot of red tape with that according to my lawyer father 🤪). Plus you could qualify for grant money which is free (I was literally getting paid by my school/ the government to go to my undergrad and graduated debt free because of FAFSA/scholarships/ grants). You also never know what you qualify for until you apply, but applying late usually means less money (FAFSA opens in October).

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone else's portal not updated yet after sending transcripts?? I sent my transcript 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't updated

Has anyone else's portal not updated yet after sending transcripts?? I sent my transcript 3 weeks ago and it still hasn't updated
I sent them a message through the portal because mine did not update as well. They told me they had my transcript and would update the status to received, but to be patient with the GPA calculation because they are running behind. I think it would not hurt to send a message if you are concerned.

I would definitely reach out to them, it seems like the majority of people's got processed within a week or so.

Only 18 more days to go!

Reactions: 13 users
As for zoo/exotics you currently have to reach out on your own to clinics/zoos and take these rotations as electives aside from our one month block with the Blank Park Zoo in Des Moines. There are a large number of my classmates (CO 2021) that have done their externships at many places all over the country. We have been back in clinics since July (mostly as some rotations have us back half time), we are supposed to have minimal to no contact with clients (depending on in hospital rotations vs field service/externships). There is a plan to have us back interacting with clients by the end of the school year. The underclassmen have been hybrid for the fall and now spring semester.

Just to add on to what izzie said: The clinician that oversaw the exotics rotation and wildlife clinic at ISU retired, so we no longer have those opportunities available on site. I currently have 2 exotics rotations scheduled outside of ISU that I had to pursue on my own. There are also several vet schools that take on students from other programs (i.e. Kansas State where I will be going for one rotation), so you don't necessarily have to find a private practice to go to. Unfortunately we no longer have the Blank Park Zoo rotation available to us anymore and I'm not sure if it will come back in the future, but there are plenty of zoo opportunities that you can do basically nationwide - some closer ones to Ames are the St. Louis Zoo, Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium, Kansas City Zoo, etc. You just have to reach out to them and coordinate those experiences early (i.e. late second year/early third year)!

Last edited:
my last 45 and science gpa were updated today! Submitted my transcript about 4-5 weeks ago

Reactions: 4 users
Hi! Does anyone have an idea of when we’ll hear on the 15th? I have an interview at Illinois in the morning so it’ll be a stressful day😂

Reactions: 2 users
Hi! Does anyone have an idea of when we’ll hear on the 15th? I have an interview at Illinois in the morning so it’ll be a stressful day😂
Nope! Depends on how busy they are. Some years, the decisions have come out a couple days early. But with the way covid is spreading in Iowa and how affected the school has been, I wouldn't be surprised if it's last minute this year.

I also have an interview with Illinois that day. I’m planning on not thinking about iowa or checking my email until after my interview (might be easier said than done😅). Iowa is out of our hands but the interview is something we can still have an impact on.

I think that during their financial aid session they mentioned it would be in the afternoon/evening!

It was right at 6 PM CST last year.

It’s insane here right now with covid! I’m about 30 minutes from Ames. I wish they would come out early, but I completely understand too lol
Nope! Depends on how busy they are. Some years, the decisions have come out a couple days early. But with the way covid is spreading in Iowa and how affected the school has been, I wouldn't be surprised if it's last minute this year.

I also have an interview with Illinois that day. I’m planning on not thinking about iowa or checking my email until after my interview (might be easier said than done😅). Iowa is out of our hands but the interview is something we can still have an impact on.
That’s what I’m trying to tell myself😂Luckily my interview is pretty early so I’ll just make someone take my phone in the morning lol

Alexa play One Week by the Barenaked Ladies

Good luck to everyone this week!!! Almost there! 😄😄😄

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
June 30th is the deadline!

The FAFSA is not required but i would highly recommend doing it - they offer unsubsidized and subsidized loans that tend to have less interest than private loans and are easier for government forgiveness (a lot of red tape with that according to my lawyer father 🤪). Plus you could qualify for grant money which is free (I was literally getting paid by my school/ the government to go to my undergrad and graduated debt free because of FAFSA/scholarships/ grants). You also never know what you qualify for until you apply, but applying late usually means less money (FAFSA opens in October).
I just want to add to this, ISU offers scholarships and all you have to do is make an account and fill out the form. However, any scholarships they have that state the student must have 'financial need', then you have to have a FAFSA on file to be considered for that scholarship, and that's almost every one. So I would 10/10 recommend submitting it, whether you're taking loans out or not!

Anyone else getting anxious/excited?? 5 more days!! :D:giggle:

Reactions: 10 users
Ok that recruitment webinar email made my heart skip a beat for half a second even though I know we won’t hear until Monday

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
This time tomorrow yall!!

Good luck everyone! Hopefully we'll hear earlier than they said lol

Today's the day! Good luck to everyone, and here's hoping we can all find a way to stay preoccupied today as we wait for decisions to roll out! 😂

Reactions: 9 users
Today's the day! Good luck to everyone, and here's hoping we can all find a way to stay preoccupied today as we wait for decisions to roll out!

Do all of our portals update at the same time or is it like the gpa calculations where they upload as they go?

Do all of our portals update at the same time or is it like the gpa calculations where they upload as they go?
they all upload at the same time! We will most likely hear tonight around 6-7 EST ( 5-6 pm CST)

Last edited:
stress tears already flowing for anyone else? Good luck everyone! I hope all of our dreams come true tonight❤️

Reactions: 6 users
Good luck everyone! Hope to see some of y'all around this fall!

Schitts Creek Good Luck GIF by CBC

Good luck!!! Positive thoughts for everyone! Let’s see how many pointless activities I can engage in today to keep myself from checking my email all day

I’m worried they will have to postpone posting decisions for some reason due to weather 😅. I’m definitely overthinking it but I’m in Illinois and my university closed the campus for the rest of the day because of how cold it is/ how much it’s snowing. Fingers crossed it’s looking better in Ames!

Guys I didn’t sleep at all last night... I kept thinking I was gonna miss the email

I’m worried they will have to postpone posting decisions for some reason due to weather 😅. I’m definitely overthinking it but I’m in Illinois and my university closed the campus for the rest of the day because of how cold it is/ how much it’s snowing. Fingers crossed it’s looking better in Ames!
I live about 30 minutes from Ames! It's a lot nicer today than it has been the past few days. No snow, but it's freezing (-2) lol