Is it hard to find a job out of vet medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yup. I'm not saying those owners are being unreasonable - they have to pay what the business can support, and as an owner with more risk exposure they certainly deserve to be compensated appropriately.

There's a disconnect between what (many) new grads legitimately need given their debt, and what typical (especially rural) GPs can pay.
yeah, I agree completely.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
A place that I interviewed at last year is still looking for an associate. I liked the clinic a lot and the owner and head DVM were amazing people, but they couldn't offer me anything above $50k. They even looked into taking out a loan to pay me what I was asking for ($70,000-75,000). I feel really bad for them because I know they're hurting for help, and if they could pay me what I asked for, I would drop my job like a hot biscuit, even though it would mean commuting an hour each way when my current commute is 15 minutes.
The kicker is that my debt is low ($33,000 and dropping), but I refused to sell myself short at $50k, when I had other offers for $85k + prosal. So it's not all about the debt, but self worth, too.

Ha, I was the vet who only wanted to live in urban areas and now I'm paying for it. I applied to jobs in Seattle, Portland (OR), DC, Denver, San Diego, NYC, and eventually settled for a job on Long Island before finding something in NYC a 1.5 years later. It's fun, and worth it, but I'll never be able to afford a home here and my apartment is tiny. If you want kids and to own your own home and you have a good amount of debt, I strongly recommend avoiding huge urban centers because you will spend 60-75% of your income just to rent. I wouldn't trade my job for anything in the world, but there are definitely trade-offs. All the growth seems to be in suburbs like Northern Virginia anyways.

Reactions: 1 user
Long Island on an intern's salary certainly kept life interesting . . .

... but they couldn't offer me anything above $50k. They even looked into taking out a loan to pay me what I was asking for ($70,000-75,000).

Wow. Don't care how nice they were...wouldn't touch that offer with a ten foot pole. Not trying to be judgmental, but either they are too cheap or have financial issues...