Is one 'C' on my transcript bad for med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bellomiss

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a pre med college student (Biology major) and so far I only have 1 C on my college transcript from an environmental science class. The class was really hard; I had about a 79.69 in the class but my professor refused to round my grade up to a 'B'. All my other grades have been A's and B's and so far I have about a 3.5 cumulative GPA. Yes, the C brought down my GPA unfortunately. I am graduating next spring. So will any med schools still accept me if I have one 'C' on my transcript, or do am I doomed from getting into med school altogether?

I haven't taken the MCAT yet but realistically if I do well, will I still have a shot? Or should I just give up on getting into med school?

Members don't see this ad.

I have 3 C's and a D, with a 3.8 cumulative. I've been told that your overall cumulative performance matters far more than a few outliers on your transcript.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I had 3 Fs, a few Cs, and over 2 dozen Ws. I still got in. I had to do a postbacc, but that's because my past academic history is way worse than yours. A single C will not matter.

Do you think I should enroll in post bacc since my cumulative GPA is a 3.5?

Do you think I should enroll in post bacc since my cumulative GPA is a 3.5?

No, I would just apply smartly and broadly. If you aren't getting any love by October or November, throw in some DO apps.

Have you taken the MCAT yet?

Edit: Just saw that you haven't taken the MCAT. Your MCAT will pretty much determine whether you should apply or wait. If you do well, apply broadly and make sure you have plenty of targets. Don't take the MCAT until you're really ready.

I had straight Cs first semester of college and old-MCAT of 28. Got accepted first round of applications and now I’m at the top of my class and got high 240s on Step 1. 1 C won’t affect you.

Reactions: 2 users
I have 3 C's and a D, with a 3.8 cumulative. I've been told that your overall cumulative performance matters far more than a few outliers on your transcript.

How many credits do you have overall that you were able to still have a 3.8 cumulative as an undergrad? How many B’s did you have? It would seem like you would have had to have all A’s with those low grades unless you completed more than 120 credits.

Last edited:
Over 120, and I've never received a B before.

Amazing. Yes, I did the math before I saw your post and saw that if you completed a few more credits than 120 and received no B’s, you could end up with a 3.8. (I figured that the low grades were in 4 credit science.) Was there a time break between the low grades and the perfect grades?

A single C won't kill your chance, but 3.5 GPA could, particular for MD schools. Don't rush to graduate next Spring (why rush when you already thinking post-bacc?), take more "easy" courses to get A's to boost your 3.5 GPA. Nowdays your sGPA need to be 3.7+ to have a realistic shot at MD schools, 3.5 is ok for DO schools. What state of residency is you?

A single C won't kill your chance, but 3.5 GPA could, particular for MD schools. Don't rush to graduate next Spring (why rush when you already thinking post-bacc?), take more "easy" courses to get A's to boost your 3.5 GPA. Nowdays your sGPA need to be 3.7+ to have a realistic shot at MD schools, 3.5 is ok for DO schools. What state of residency is you?

Really? I would think with a good MCAT, and a strategic school list with a well rounded application, one could have a few MD interviews with a 3.5

Yeah it’s not ideal but I think a 3.5 would be fine for most state schools right? I could be wrong tho.

@Goro

A 3.5 will diminish your chances. It will NOT kill them. Seriously, how ridiculous.

Reactions: 4 users
A
Really? I would think with a good MCAT, and a strategic school list with a well rounded application, one could have a few MD interviews with a 3.5

Yeah it’s not ideal but I think a 3.5 would be fine for most state schools right? I could be wrong tho.

@Goro
3.5 GPA is definitely NOT lethal!

Reactions: 1 users
Amazing. Yes, I did the math before I saw your post and saw that if you completed a few more credits than 120 and received no B’s, you could end up with a 3.8. (I figured that the low grades were in 4 credit science.) Was there a time break between the low grades and the perfect grades?
Not at all. When I got the low grades, every other grade during the semester was an A. They're just courses I really didn't know how to approach studying for.

Not at all. When I got the low grades, every other grade during the semester was an A. They're just courses I really didn't know how to approach studying for.

What courses were they if you don’t mind me asking?

@Goro

I wouln’t count on it as a traditional unhooked applicant. Ive seen too many trad applicants with good MCAT scores get no interviews with a 3.5 GPA...even from a highly ranked undergrad school.

I just figured out that if I make all A's my last semester, my cumulative GPA will jump up to a 3.7, so I guess I will strive for all A's my last semester.

I just figured out that if I make all A's my last semester, my cumulative GPA will jump up to a 3.7, so I guess I will strive for all A's my last semester.

Yes! Good luck! Plan ahead, look for the best professors!

I am a pre med college student (Biology major) and so far I only have 1 C on my college transcript from an environmental science class. The class was really hard; I had about a 79.69 in the class but my professor refused to round my grade up to a 'B'. All my other grades have been A's and B's and so far I have about a 3.5 cumulative GPA. Yes, the C brought down my GPA unfortunately. I am graduating next spring. So will any med schools still accept me if I have one 'C' on my transcript, or do am I doomed from getting into med school altogether?

I haven't taken the MCAT yet but realistically if I do well, will I still have a shot? Or should I just give up on getting into med school?

You have a 3.5 cum GPA after 7 semesters of classes? And getting a 4.0 for your 8th semester will give you a 3.7 GPA? Are you sure?

If you have 105 credits that average as a 3.5 GPA (367.5). And then you complete 15 credits of 4.0 (60), then the average would be 3.56 GPA. Once you have a high number of credits, it’s hard to increase GPA.