Ivy league undergrad low GPA high MCAT SMP or Apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lanoya2016

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a URM tha graduated with a pretty low gpa from an ivy league (HYP). A 3.33 cGPA and 3.0 BCMPgpa due to a lot of personal issues that required me to be back home frequently. I plan on taking the MCAT soon. So far I have been scoring in the 518-520 range on practice and AAMC sample tests. If all goes well on the MCAT, I'm wondering if I should apply straight out or do an SMP for a year to better my chances. My two dream schools are UT Southwestern and Baylor College of Medicine . Any advice would be appreciated. I will be working for a financial firm focusing on Payer- Provider challenges.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
3/4 African Americans with a 3.0-3.2 who hit 30+ on the MCAT find an MD acceptance. 4/7 with an MCAT in the 27-29 range find an MD acceptance.

Do well on the MCAT youll be fine. No need for an SMP in your case maybe if you really want some informal PB work at a local State U is fine

I am a URM tha graduated with a pretty low gpa from an ivy league (HYP). A 3.33 cGPA and 3.0 BCMPgpa due to a lot of personal issues that required me to be back home frequently. I plan on taking the MCAT soon. So far I have been scoring in the 518-520 range on practice and AAMC sample tests. If all goes well on the MCAT, I'm wondering if I should apply straight out or do an SMP for a year to better my chances. My two dream schools are UT Southwestern and Baylor College of Medicine . Any advice would be appreciated. I will be working for a financial firm focusing on Payer- Provider challenges.

Should clarify that individual break down of grades for BCMP looked like
Math: Sem 1 A Sem 2 B
Gen chem B
Orgo C+
Gen Bio B
Physics Sem 1 B sem 2 A

I agree with Grapes, a SMP won't do you much good. You will most likely be able to land many acceptances if you do well on the MCAT.

A few questions - Did you take Orgo 2 and do better in it than a C+? That would help your application. How did you do in your upper level biology and chemistry courses? Did you take statistics? If you haven't, I would recommend taking a few courses in a DIY post-bacc. If you do well in them, it will also help boost your GPA a bit.

Finally, when you say HYP....you don't mean H right? Harvard is so notorious for grade inflation that you might have more trouble explaining a low GPA from that school than the other two. Just my 2 cents.