This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BestoFriedo-Todo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Both in West Virginia about 2-3 hours apart from each other.

Marshall
Pros
  • -- MD
  • -- Connected to a busy and well functioning hospital
  • -- Undergrad Campus
  • -- Cheaper school
  • -- small class size (around 75)
  • -- lots of research opportunities. (may or may not be interested in)
Cons
  • -- Undergrads campus
  • -- center for opioid overdoses
  • -- Lots of crime
  • -- addicts / drug seekers
  • -- less faculty
  • -- very bad roads
  • -- the tour of the facilities felt incomplete (didn't see everything as students were using certain areas)

WVSOM
Pros
  • -- DO/OMM
  • -- Nice quiet and safe town.
  • -- lower cost of living
  • -- Felt nicer and warmer on interview day (not saying Marshall's wasn't, but WVSOM was a step up)
  • -- Nicer people in town. Very charming to be honest.
  • -- better equipment

Cons
  • -- in the country
  • -- larger class size (216, I believe)
  • -- not connected to a hospital
  • -- DO stigma and possibly limited opportunities
  • -- more expensive
  • -- not many research opportunities
  • -- Unsure on how the 3rd year rotations will be

Members don't see this ad.

I would do MD just because you wouldn't have to take two sets of exams . And still keeps all doors open.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey @asdf333 we've talked a few times. Marshall, hands down. Having grown up in the area I know the outside looking in seems scary because of the crime rates but the hospital staff is amazingly caring. They really take care of their own. My mother is the Environmental Director and the physicians all treat her like a colleage. When JCESOM says you'll be a part of a family they mean it. There are BEAUTIFUL sight seeing areas less than an hour away too. The ONLY reason I didn't go with Marshall is that I got into a Top 10 school.

I know you'r concerned about losing your DO deposit but please trust me, Marshall may not be all flashy but you are cared about there. Message me if you have any other questions. I have friends that work there.

Reactions: 1 users
MD hands down. Not having to flit around for clinicals is amazing. I wouldn't list OMM as a pro either but that's just me

Members don't see this ad :)
I currently work in a hospital in a neighboring state and I meet a lot of the primary care residents.
However, there aren't any from Marshall, but I have a few from WVSOM.
The WVSOM graduates are very inspiring. They all use OMM weekly and they ooze competency, and confidence. And they all look happy as heck to be DOs.

The fact that I talk with recent grads from WVSOM is probably the only reason i'm comparing the two schools.

MD keeps doors open, and your debt will be less at Marshall. Those are should be the two biggest factors imo

I currently work in a hospital in a neighboring state and I meet a lot of the primary care residents.
However, there aren't any from Marshall, but I have a few from WVSOM.
The WVSOM graduates are very inspiring. They all use OMM weekly and they ooze competency, and confidence. And they all look happy as heck to be DOs.

The fact that I talk with recent grads from WVSOM is probably the only reason i'm comparing the two schools.
There is a a little bit of observation bias going on here. Most DO's do go into primary care. That being said, if omm was clearly beneficial through evidence MD schools would adopt it in a heart beat. If you are intent on going primary care and know you will not change your mind in two years DO/MD shouldnt matter, but why make such a decision before the time to make a decision ? In that case going to the MD school is usually the best option. I would go look at the DO boards and the general issues they have with quality clinical rotations, taking multiple board exams, finding research and then when times comes matching into anything with a semblance of competitiveness. Good luck with your choice, it seems pretty straight forward from someone looking in from the outside, but that is just my opinion.