Johns Hopkins Decisions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aetna

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody who interviewed mid-Nov hear back from JHU, or know when we should find out?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

my interview was in early dec. found out i was accepted 2 wks ago. hope that helps. let me know if you get in - im looking to see who else might go to hopkins.

my interview was in early dec. found out i was accepted 2 wks ago. hope that helps. let me know if you get in - im looking to see who else might go to hopkins.

Seriously??? I interviewed on December 1st, and we were told that we would hear Feb 1-3. Not a good sign...

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys shouldn't worry. Hopkins has weird, staggered committee dates that depend on whether you interview on a Thursday or a Friday.

You guys shouldn't worry. Hopkins has weird, staggered committee dates that depend on whether you interview on a Thursday or a Friday.

That's bizarre. I wonder if interviewing on a Thursday or Friday has some significance. Is one more competitive? One for non-trads (this was a prevailing theme during my interview day, I should add). Why else would they have two committees?

Hey Bridge,

Check out our class thread in the allopathic section. There are quite a few acceptees on there. Hopefully, I'll see you at Hopkins in several months.

That's bizarre. I wonder if interviewing on a Thursday or Friday has some significance. Is one more competitive? One for non-trads (this was a prevailing theme during my interview day, I should add). Why else would they have two committees?

I would guess that it is because everyone who interviews at hopkins is on the adcomm, as far as I know, and they all do many other things as well. As a result, things get weird in terms of timing because of scheduling conflicts for the meetings. Most other schools I have seen just get writeups from the interviewers, and these are then used at the adcomm meeting by a group of people you might not have even met during your interview day. Because of the logistics, I think hopkins has 2 adcomms that are fairly distinct (though there are probably some shared members -dean of admissions, etc.) and so the meetings don't always take place at the same time, based on the members. The good part about hopkins' way is that your interviewers can really advocate for you at the meetings in a way that a simple writeup might not. The bad part is it can be a while before you get a decision.

Thats just my guess.

Best of luck everyone and congrats Bridge.

anyone know how they do acceptances and rejections- phone call for acceptances, right? and mail for rejections?

thanks!

anyone know how they do acceptances and rejections- phone call for acceptances, right? and mail for rejections?

thanks!

Yes, phone calls are acceptances. Hopkins hasn't rejected anyone, as far as I know, but snail mail without the call will be some sort of waitlist. Best of luck Gibson.

Anybody get a call this week?

No call yet. I interviewed on 12/01, and we were told that we should expect to hear around the first few days of Feb...

no call here either. ugh, its killing me. fotografia- we interviewed on the same day!

I interviewed mid-november as well, and I haven't heard a peep either way. I guess it's better than being put on the part of the waitlist they never select people from. Oh well, good luck to those still waiting.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also interviewed in the middle of November. I guess it's still waiting time. They said around the beginning of February.

So no call this week eh? Hope for the best next week.

Nope, no calls. Glad everyone else is in the same boat :)

So sllllooooowwwwwwwww........... It's been nearly 10 weeks now.

Any news this week? Waiting is driving me crazy, so much for mid jan...

Guess the silence was a bad omen (in my case). I got put on the alternate list (i.e., waitlist?). Dated 5 Feb.

I was put on the alternate list as well, but the lower portion just as I feared. :( Good bye JHU.

I was put on the alternate list as well, but the lower portion just as I feared. :( Good bye JHU.

How do you know what portion of the WL you were put on, if you don't mind my asking? I got the WL letter, and it didn't really have any indication. Is there a difference in the way the letter is worded?

yeah it actually states that you're on the lower portion that they never select students from, and they don't want to waste your time. Be happy if you didn't see that in the letter, it means you still have hope. Good luck.

I think they said their next meeting to decide on who to accept is march 1st. so one more week?

I think they said their next meeting to decide on who to accept is march 1st. so one more week?

Possibly, but you're a Thursday person. Who knows about us Friday people?

Edit: Anyway, do they typically call that day or the following day? Weeks later? Bah... it doesn't matter. I, for one, call my waitlist "tier 2" before it happens no I'm not exactly sitting by the phone. :rolleyes:

I just got accepted via phone call for the mstp program! so the MD/PhD has finished making its decisions! :D :D :D i'm not sure what this means for the MD, tho....i am delerious with happiness...

I just got accepted via phone call for the mstp program! so the MD/PhD has finished making its decisions! :D :D :D i'm not sure what this means for the MD, tho....i am delerious with happiness...

Congrats, Crimson!! I interivewed in mid-Jan, so I'm hoping to hear soon [crosses fingers and toes]

In interviewed jan. 12 like several of the posters in this thread. Boy am I anxious to hear from the Dean.

Woah...well it makes me feel a little better that no one else that interviewed Jan 12th has heard yet. We are also probably the only group religiously checking SDN for any news of any JHU announcements. :luck: Jan 12-ers! :luck:

Woah...well it makes me feel a little better that no one else that interviewed Jan 12th has heard yet. We are also probably the only group religiously checking SDN for any news of any JHU announcements. :luck: Jan 12-ers! :luck:

Awesome. :horns:

Imagine having four of us on SDN. Weird.

D'OH, my cover has been blown!! :cool:

:luck: to us!

I feel kinda bad about not sending my student interviewer a thank you card. I did intially, but for whatever reason it was re-directed from the admissions office and returned (all ripped and shredded apart) to me. I totally blanked on her last name so perhaps that is it... but she was awesome.

Congrads man!

Possibly, but you're a Thursday person. Who knows about us Friday people?

Edit: Anyway, do they typically call that day or the following day? Weeks later? Bah... it doesn't matter. I, for one, call my waitlist "tier 2" before it happens no I'm not exactly sitting by the phone. :rolleyes:
after searching a bit, it seems like yes, you do usually get the call the next day after the adcom meets to discuss your file.

after searching a bit, it seems like yes, you do usually get the call the next day after the adcom meets to discuss your file.

I too have heard the same thing.

Khanal007 said:
hey, were u a thursday interviewee as well?
Regretably, no.

My information came from when I spoke to an admin. (Ms Welling). She also said that the next review date was 3/1.

I have heard a rumor that if you don't get 'in' at the first review session, but if you are still a viable candidate, they hold off and reconsider you at the next meeting. Is there any truth to this? I guess it doesn't matter, as the 3/1 meeting is one of the last, if not the last committee meeting.

Hey all, I just wanted to tell you 3/1 can't be the last adcom meeting because I am interviewing 3/2 (although I don't fully understand the whole Thursday/Friday thing). Good luck everyone

P.S. any interview day advice would be greatly appreciated

Hey all, I just wanted to tell you 3/1 can't be the last adcom meeting because I am interviewing 3/2 (although I don't fully understand the whole Thursday/Friday thing). Good luck everyone
Sorry, I didn't carify, for the MD PhD Program 3/1 is 'near the end' of the ADCOM meetings.

I too have heard the same thing.

Regretably, no.

My information came from when I spoke to an admin. (Ms Welling). She also said that the next review date was 3/1.

I have heard a rumor that if you don't get 'in' at the first review session, but if you are still a viable candidate, they hold off and reconsider you at the next meeting. Is there any truth to this? I guess it doesn't matter, as the 3/1 meeting is one of the last, if not the last committee meeting.
since you said ms. welling, i'm assuming you mean sharon, and therefore are an md/phd applicant. if so, ad coms for md/phd are wednesday evenings. sharon calls thursday morning, first thing.

also, i'm sure when you roll over you are 1. still considered, and 2. still have a very good shot because remember the md/phd committee makes offers to ~30 people, and they only interviewed (if i remember correctly) ~85 or so this year. also, during my interview they said that they can only accept 10 mstps with funding at any given moment. and when i interviewed 1/24-25, they already accepted 6 out of those initial 10. however, as those 10 people withdraw and head off to harvard, washU, stanford, UCSF, what have you, they'll go down the list of 20 MD/PhD people without funding and offer funding to them.

since you said ms. welling, i'm assuming you mean sharon, and therefore are an md/phd applicant. if so, ad coms for md/phd are wednesday evenings. sharon calls thursday morning, first thing.

also, i'm sure when you roll over you are 1. still considered, and 2. still have a very good shot because remember the md/phd committee makes offers to ~30 people, and they only interviewed (if i remember correctly) ~85 or so this year. also, during my interview they said that they can only accept 10 mstps with funding at any given moment. and when i interviewed 1/24-25, they already accepted 6 out of those initial 10. however, as those 10 people withdraw and head off to harvard, washU, stanford, UCSF, what have you, they'll go down the list of 20 MD/PhD people without funding and offer funding to them.
Thank you for the clarification! (BTW I have not been even considered yet, let alone rolled over etc,etc I guess that makes Wenesday my make it or break it day :p)

Is March first the meeing date for md/phd, or for md?

crossing my fingers for a phone call (to md)! If it doesn't come in on the second....

Is March first the meeing date for md/phd, or for md?

crossing my fingers for a phone call (to md)! If it doesn't come in on the second....
I'm a thursday interviewee, for md, and they said they'd meet March 1st.

For the Jan. 12 interview cohort, the adcom will not be reviewing our applications for acceptance until the middle of March. I called the admissions office. Oh well, I was hoping for early March, but that is not the case. Sit tight, I guess.

For the Jan. 12 interview cohort, the adcom will not be reviewing our applications for acceptance until the middle of March. I called the admissions office. Oh well, I was hoping for early March, but that is not the case. Sit tight, I guess.

Ugh...

Thanks for calling though. I thought tomorrow's review was for Friday people only.

It always seems like the Friday people have to wait longer for review/acceptance. Don't you think that kind of puts us at a disadvantage at a school that's rolling?

bump.

lets hope the adcom is currently discussing sdners in a positive light. maybe one of us will get the call tomorrow.

eeek.

bump.

lets hope the adcom is currently discussing sdners in a positive light. maybe one of us will get the call tomorrow.

eeek.

what interview dates are they reviewing? I think I was Fri-Jan 24 or something like that. any chance of getting called tomorrow?

I interviewed on Jan. 18, and I thought they said they were reviewing us the first week of March so I guess I'll hear soon.