2023-2024 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
not until mid may

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, I have an apartment near JHU School of Medicine available for sublease for 2 months, June and July. If anyone is interested lemme know.

Given that the waitlist is ranked, does that mean updates/letters/intent are meaningless as this point?

any update on the # of people in the groupchat? Is it still way above 120?

any update on the # of people in the groupchat? Is it still way above 120?
Nobody new has joined. Nobody has left since last Tuesday. Same #.

Reactions: 1 users
Current M1s began removing folks today, there’s about 132 incoming students in there right now for a class size of 120
Ah by any chance is the 120 inclusive of the MSTP cohort? Reason being I know some are also in the MD group chat, so if it's a goal of 120 MD students then you could probably subtract the current total by like 10-18 folks.

Last edited:
Ah by any chance is the 120 inclusive of the MSTP cohort? Reason being I know some are also in the MD group chat, so if it's a goal of 120 MD students then you could probably subtract the current total by like 5-10 folks.
I think that the 120 includes both MD and MSTP folks.

Given that the waitlist is ranked, does that mean updates/letters/intent are meaningless as this point?
It's been a few years since I applied but when I applied the waitlist was not strictly ranked, essentially the admissions dean and associate dean look over applicants on the waitlist vs committed applicants and aim to have a balanced class (ie, if the incoming students are too east coast heavy they go for west coast, or if the balance of male/female or particular groups or majors or interests is unbalanced they try to balance it). That's how it was when I applied, things may have changed. Letter of intent doesn't help. If you have a mentor with some weight who can call the admissions dean for you that might help but most people don't have that (like if you did 2 years of research there with a division chief or something like that and your mentor is willing to go to bat for you).

Does anyone know when movement here might start?
the last few years it started before/around mid May but the # of members in the group chat was usually below 120. This year they apparently admitted more people so maybe it will start later (if at all)?

• Sad
Members don't see this ad :)
the last few years it started before/around mid May but the # of members in the group chat was usually below 120. This year they apparently admitted more people so maybe it will start later (if at all)?
why this year :(((

Has anyone asked the admissions office if they expect the waitlist to move at all this year?

Has anyone asked the admissions office if they expect the waitlist to move at all this year?
I reached out to them via email a while ago but didn't hear back
Maybe someone could try calling them?

Has there really been zero WL movement? The school I'm holding an A at has a CTE deadline of June 1st :(

Has there really been zero WL movement? The school I'm holding an A at has a CTE deadline of June 1st :(
Yea doesn't look like any movement. The group chat is still around 10 people above their desired class size, so technically it's overenrolled still. No one has left the group chat in the last week or so.

• Sad
Yea doesn't look like any movement. The group chat is still around 10 people above their desired class size, so technically it's overenrolled still. No one has left the group chat in the last week or so.
And with Hopkins having such a late a CTE date of 7/12 I imagine people holding PTE there don’t feel particularly rushed to CTE and can wait to see if that T20 full ride or Harvard or NYU call off the WL comes in (or whatever might cause someone to leave Hopkins, if anything)

• Sad
did you guys receive the email right now or earlier?

I also did not get the R. I wonder what percent of people they reject in this wave? Anyone know?

Also still kickin but not feeling confident at all. Did anyone who just got the R from the WL send in a letter of intent or interest?

Well, my school's CTE date is today so looks like I'll have to take myself off the Hopkins WL. As others have expressed it was an honor to be considered and I truly hope some of my fellow WL warriors make it to Baltimore. Cheers!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Any updates/changes on the class size from GroupMe?

Any updates/changes on the class size from GroupMe?
Looks to be 132 folks after excluding current students - last time someone left was May 15th

edit: thanks sdfwr312 for the correction of 132 people!

Last edited:
  • Sad
Is there any indication at all that the class size is intended to be higher this year…? It’s hard to imagine they would overshoot by so much….

• Sad
Some of those folks might be PTE since jhu CTE deadline isn’t till mid July
With Harvard’s commit to enroll date already past, not sure there is much difference between PTE and CTE at Hopkins at this point. Maybe a few holding out for NYU or (unlikely) Einstein WL? Hard to imagine that most if not all of those currently PTE at Hopkins becoming CTE in the next few weeks which seems to me to indicate to me an unusually (perhaps unintentionally?) large M1 class.

Last edited:
any news/changes in the groupchat?

R email received now

• Care
R email received now
same here, did no one get off the WL this year?? i suppose it's possible someone did but didn't post abt it. But i do find it comical that they sent an emailing saying every yr for the past decade or so ppl get off the WL, and it just so happens that this year more ppl accepted their offer leading to an oversized class

same here, did no one get off the WL this year?? i suppose it's possible someone did but didn't post abt it. But i do find it comical that they sent an emailing saying every yr for the past decade or so ppl get off the WL, and it just so happens that this year more ppl accepted their offer leading to an oversized class
We really got unlucky because they had very good WL movement almost every year
Maybe someone did get off but they aren’t on SDN/didn’t post about it

We really got unlucky because they had very good WL movement almost every year
Maybe someone did get off but they aren’t on SDN/didn’t post about it
I don't think you got unlucky.

They accepted more people outright this year so they'd pull less from the WL.

So theoretically, some people in the class right now would've not made the cut for a direct acceptance and would've been accepted off the WL had they been conservative with direct acceptances like they have in the past.

So theoretically, some people in the class right now would've not made the cut for a direct acceptance and would've been accepted off the WL had they been conservative with direct acceptances like they have in the past.
I see. So it’s not that more people held onto their acceptance, but that the school accepted more students to start with and probably many of us on the WL would have been rejected right away if they hadn’t made the change this year.

Hopefully for the future cycles they will have more transparency!

This is true, but if the admissions committee had a plan to accept more people this year, they could've heavily cut down the size of the alternate list to compensate. There is no reason to keep people waiting up to six months when you know that few, if any, will get off the WL :/

This is true, but if the admissions committee had a plan to accept more people this year, they could've heavily cut down the size of the alternate list to compensate. There is no reason to keep people waiting up to six months when you know that few, if any, will get off the WL :/
They also could have not misled us in that email saying “We have admitted applicants off the alternate list for the past two decades”. Although again, maybe someone did get off the WL and didn’t post, who knows.

Just a little bummed out, but thankfully a Canadian med school has finally accepted me so I suppose I can be at peace not waiting for JHu

• Love
They also could have not misled us in that email saying “We have admitted applicants off the alternate list for the past two decades”. Although again, maybe someone did get off the WL and didn’t post, who knows.

Just a little bummed out, but thankfully a Canadian med school has finally accepted me so I suppose I can be at peace not waiting for JHu
That’s amazing!!! Congrats :)