2023-2024 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chilly_md

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
2023-2024 Johns Hopkins Secondary Essay Prompts

1. Optional: If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. (2000 characters)

2. Optional: If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. (2000 characters)

3. Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (2500 characters)

4. Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (2500 characters)

5. Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (2500 characters)

6. Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from the experience? (2500 characters)

7. Wonder encapsulates a feeling of rapt attention … it draws the observer in. Tell us about a time in recent years that you experienced wonder in your everyday life. Although experiences related to your clinical or research work may be the first to come to mind, we encourage you to think of an experience that is unrelated to medicine or science. What did you learn from that experience? (2500 characters)

8. Optional: The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity) or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it.
(2500 characters)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview feedback:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
To anyone who has interviewed at JHU or been accepted here previously, are the 2 science and 1 non-science individual LOR requirement a hard requirement? Their website mentions that they may not even evaluate more than the required no. of letters. Is that really true? What were your experiences?

For the first question: "Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application" would it be unwise to talk about an experience that you did not label as most meaningful in your primary? I feel like I'd most easily be able to write about another activity that was not labeled as most meaningful in my primary, however, this might somewhat contradict the notion of it being my single most rewarding experience. I'm not sure how this might be viewed or if I'm completely overthinking.

Members don't see this ad :)
For the first question: "Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application" would it be unwise to talk about an experience that you did not label as most meaningful in your primary? I feel like I'd most easily be able to write about another activity that was not labeled as most meaningful in my primary, however, this might somewhat contradict the notion of it being my single most rewarding experience. I'm not sure how this might be viewed or if I'm completely overthinking.
I think it would be fine to talk about something else. Shows more breadth. Also, I perceive it as being a singular moment or experience (i.e. in the course of a day or week) whereas a MME covers the entire experience.

Anyone know if a research year is a thing at Hopkins between second and third year?

Secondary received, 10am EST. I might be looking at this wrong and maybe another portal is yet to come, but right now my application gateway does not have any questions, just a place to upload a headshot and pre-reqs...

Last edited:
I was like maybe they got rid of secondaries this year lol...

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
I was like maybe they got rid of secondaries this year lol...
Well, the first email I got stated
“Links to complete the supplemental application, upload required photo and enter prerequisite courses will be sent via e-mail directly from our Applicant Gateway.”
So either something is glitched or another portal coming?

maybe we got blessed and theres no secondary questions.

Well, the first email I got stated
“Links to complete the supplemental application, upload required photo and enter prerequisite courses will be sent via e-mail directly from our Applicant Gateway.”
So either something is glitched or another portal coming?
Yeah so I got into the Applicant Gateway but there's only a photo and prerequisite upload that it asks for. Their email did also say "You may open/review the supplemental application, however, it must be completed in one sitting; you are unable to save and continue at a later date." which makes me feel like there are essays involved because why would you need to save and continue if it's just a photo?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah so I got into the Applicant Gateway but there's only a photo and prerequisite upload that it asks for. Their email did also say "You may open/review the supplemental application, however, it must be completed in one sitting; you are unable to save and continue at a later date." which makes me feel like there are essays involved because why would you need to save and continue if it's just a photo?
I think is related to the course uploads. Cornell is on the same system and on that thread a lot of people got locked out after saving their courses and found that they couldn’t continue.

I'm having the same issue as everyone else. I can upload my photo and my prerequisites, but I can't see any secondary questions. Has anyone found a solution yet?

I think is related to the course uploads. Cornell is on the same system and on that thread a lot of people got locked out after saving their courses and found that they couldn’t continue.
Yep-- that's me lol
At least JHU's prerequisite matching is much more straightforward!

Also, do you think it matters what kind of picture we upload? I was thinking of using one of my grad photos, but maybe something more formal would be better? (I think I'm just nervous about the spaghetti strap dress/stole)

Also, do you think it matters what kind of picture we upload? I was thinking of using one of my grad photos, but maybe something more formal would be better? (I think I'm just nervous about the spaghetti strap dress/stole)
I think you would be fine! TMDSAS requires a photo and I was super nervous about it but anecdotally I've heard they use it to just identify applicants and make sure they have the right person on interview day or whatever rather than including it as part of your application file when they review your application. I'd think it's the same here.

What do we do to assign coursework if we haven't taken some of the pre-reqs yet?

That sounds fine to me! I imagine as long as you’re comfortable with this being attached to your file it’s acceptable. I was honestly thinking of using a grad photo of me with my skateboard that got me around campus for 4 years, just some more flavor!

What do we do to assign coursework if we haven't taken some of the pre-reqs yet?
low key I would send them an email. People who did cornell a couple days ago (same platform) had an issue where once they submitted they couldn't edit

Yep-- that's me lol
At least JHU's prerequisite matching is much more straightforward!
I just realized that I may have made a mistake on JHU's prerequisites. Did you just email Cornell explaining the situation and were they nice about it? I feel awful to have made a mistake on something so simple and I'm so nervous haha

When they say the supplemental has to be completed in one sitting is it just the coursework section or the essays too? I'm scared to open it now if I have to do the essays in on sitting lol.

When they say the supplemental has to be completed in one sitting is it just the coursework section or the essays too? I'm scared to open it now if I have to do the essays in on sitting lol.
I think it means that it won't save along the way

I emailed admissions and they did have an issue with their supp. There definitely are essays coming.

I assigned future coursework! On my transcript it shows that I'm taking ochem lab this fall so I just added that course in that section
Oh! I didn't list future coursework on my AMCAS transcript (thought it wasn't required)... Was this something we were supposed to have done then?

For this part: "Family Background For your siblings, can you list Undergraduate School attended, Graduate School attended & Degrees. Enter NA if none" are they asking about parents as well or just siblings?

@chilly_md Secondaries are now online:
1. Optional: If you have already received your bachelor's degree, please describe what you have been doing since graduation, and your plans for the upcoming year. (2000 characters)

2. Optional: If you interrupted your college education for a semester or longer, please describe what you did during that time. (2000 characters)

3. Briefly describe your single, most rewarding experience. Feel free to refer to an experience previously described in your AMCAS application. (2500 characters)

4. Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment. (2500 characters)

5. Briefly describe a situation where you had to overcome adversity; include lessons learned and how you think it will affect your career as a future physician. (2500 characters)

6. Briefly describe a situation where you were not in the majority. What did you learn from the experience? (2500 characters)

7. Wonder encapsulates a feeling of rapt attention … it draws the observer in. Tell us about a time in recent years that you experienced wonder in your everyday life. Although experiences related to your clinical or research work may be the first to come to mind, we encourage you to think of an experience that is unrelated to medicine or science. What did you learn from that experience? (2500 characters)

8. Optional: The Admissions Committee values hearing about each candidate for admission, including what qualities the candidate might bring to the School of Medicine if admitted. If you feel there is information not already addressed in the application that will enable the Committee to know more about you and this has influenced your desire to be a physician, feel free to write a brief statement in the space below. You may address any subject you wish, such as being a first generation college student, or being a part of a minority group (whether because of your sexual orientation, religion, economic status, gender identity, ethnicity) or being the child of undocumented immigrants or being undocumented yourself, etc. Please note that this question is optional and that you will not be penalized should you choose not to answer it. (2500 characters)

Last edited:
I just realized that I may have made a mistake on JHU's prerequisites. Did you just email Cornell explaining the situation and were they nice about it? I feel awful to have made a mistake on something so simple and I'm so nervous haha
Cornell hasn’t replied to me yet, but I’m hoping they’re understanding! I know a bunch of people messed up Cornell’s, so I’m sure you’re not alone with JHU!

Like someone else said, I think it means it won’t save if you don’t hit submit but you can access it as many times as you want— just write them outside the app so you can paste everything in!

For prerequisite matching, should I be including only the bare minimum? E.g., for biology they require one year of college bio, and recommend a semester of genetics. Do I include all three courses in the biology section, or only the year of college bio?

Secondary received, 10am EST. I might be looking at this wrong and maybe another portal is yet to come, but right now my application gateway does not have any questions, just a place to upload a headshot and pre-reqs...
+1 OOS

Can someone post the admissions email? I can't find it anywhere.

Anyone else already submit their app and pay? For some reason the "Application Fees" Tab isn't checkmarked even though I already paid the secondary fee.

Anyone else already submit their app and pay? For some reason the "Application Fees" Tab isn't checkmarked even though I already paid the secondary fee.
I'm having a similar problem as a FAP recipient. It should be marked as waived but its not, and they're asking for my CC info.

How are we meant to define "Areas of Medicine" for Question 4? Is that referring to specialties (e.g. psychiatry), or practice focuses (e.g. research, working with the underserved etc.) or both?

Same issue here. Out of curiosity, did you receive any email confirmation about the app or payment? I didn't

Same issue here. Out of curiosity, did you receive any email confirmation about the app or payment? I didn't
I didn't, but if you go to the menu thing you can click on a tab that says payments received and it marked my as received there.

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone have any suggestions for how they're approaching the last prompt? The wonder part is fine, there's a ton of stuff I could write about. The what did you learn about yourself? Part is what's confusing me. I'm not sure how to talk about a non-academic experience that I simply enjoyed because of its inherent wonder and still also took some lessons away from it.

Should/can I include more than the minimum number of biology credits? I took my general bio at a community college and the website says to also have upper-level courses at my university to be competitive. I don't know if that means including them on the secondary or if having them on my transcript it enough.

Should/can I include more than the minimum number of biology credits? I took my general bio at a community college and the website says to also have upper-level courses at my university to be competitive. I don't know if that means including them on the secondary or if having them on my transcript it enough.
Fwiw, I had the same question. Ended up including the year of college bio I did at CC and 1 semester genetics I did at 4-year (since their website says genetics recommended). I did not include the other upper-level bios I did at the 4-year.

Crusty old alum wishing y'all the best! Med school is never easy, but Hop gave me some of the best friends, mentors, and memories I could have asked for.

I don't know how much has changed in the past few years, but secondary prompts look similar to when I applied and was on AdCom. I don't think you need to be super philosophically profound; as long as one is genuine and can talk about the memory sincerely and enthusiastically in an interview I think that's most of the battle. Concur with above that it's more your thought process/reflection than the novel nature of the event.

I know that's easier said than done, but after doing med school app review (and now residency app review), I think the old SDN adage of 5/80/15 shakes out to be true – 5% of responses are exceptional (more often due to exceptional experiences lived/professional writing skill), 80% are totally safe, and 15% are cringe. Overwrought essays stick out.

(Not a paid shill – I paid Hopkins. 😅)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Has anyone's "Application Fees" tab been removed from their portal yet and/or received an email about their application being complete?

Has anyone's "Application Fees" tab been removed from their portal yet and/or received an email about their application being complete?
Nope, same boat. Paid the fee during submission of the application, but the fee tab still appears and never got a confirmation of secondary received/application complete.