2023-2024 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They do very limited merit aid.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you tell if it’s merit or need-based?
The way I am guessing I got merit is because my UCLA fin aid offer was $5k/yr, and my Hopkins was $45k/yr. Unless the formulas they are using are WILDLY different, Hopkins gave me some merit money

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Am I the only one going absolutely crazy in anticipation of this decision? Hope they announce it before the weekend otherwise I might explode.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
GOT THE A! I can’t believe it. And with that my cycle is complete

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
GOT THE A! I can’t believe it

+1!!!! And that concludes my cycle
giphy.gif

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Got the A! Cycle officially over

• Love
in shock to get the A! thought my interview did not go well at all

• Love
WL, very disappointed but it's a huge honor to still be in consideration

Congrats to everyone!! (Esp. Holland cuz I know you wanted this one)

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Got WL’ed which is fine because I didn’t think I’d make it this far anyway 😂

• Care
Does anyone know if we are at a disadvantage compared to those WL'ed in earlier waves?

For those accepted, anyone else signed up for another school's second look weekend and now can't go to Johns Hopkins second look? I'm unsure what to do, I really want to visit Johns Hopkins :cryi:

Got the WL, but going to withdraw!! Congrats to all the As today! Y'all are goats!!!

edit: nvm, going to maintain my waitlist position, juuuust in case 🤣

Last edited:
  • Care
A! I'm in the same boat with having booked tickets for another second look already so I hope they have a makeup

Good to know there are other people having conflicts with other booked second looks haha. I might email them to see if they have any other opportunities to visit campus, but I doubt it.

The way I am guessing I got merit is because my UCLA fin aid offer was $5k/yr, and my Hopkins was $45k/yr. Unless the formulas they are using are WILDLY different, Hopkins gave me some merit money
I think your aid is need-based only unless the scholarship itself explicitly specify there was merit. The reason why you got so much from Hopkins and very little from UCLA is because Hopkins is a private school with a huge endowment so they have a lot of $$$ to give out for need-based scholarship. UCLA is a public school so they have less funds to meet the need for everyone. I think they do have generous merit aid though.

Last edited:
I think your aid is need-based only unless the scholarship itself explicitly specify there was merit. The reason why you got so much from Hopkins and very little from UCLA is because Hopkins is a private school with a huge endowment so they have a lot of $$$ to give out for need-based scholarship. UCLA is a public school so they have less funds for need-based. I think they do have generous merit aid though.
Hmm interesting, possibly. The scholarship just said "General Scholarship" so I really can't tell them :/

I emailed the school that I could no longer attend their second look, and they were understanding of it! Got thing my plane tix is refundable lol

Anyone have a rough estimate about # people on WL? I saw last year there were 591 II and 266 As. Whats the WL/R split for the remaining ~330 people?

Reactions: 2 users
I emailed the school that I could no longer attend their second look, and they were understanding of it! Got thing my plane tix is refundable lol
What if the school I’m visiting for second look is paying for my hotel and plane haha. I think they already paid for the things. Do you think they’d be understanding :cryi:

FYI for new admits a lot of people got financial aid info yesterday! (somehow snagged a full ride just from aid - still in disbelief) So I imagine that they are going to try to get on aid offers to the new admits ASAP. see y'all at second look!!

• Love
What if the school I’m visiting for second look is paying for my hotel and plane haha. I think they already paid for the things. Do you think they’d be understanding :cryi:
Haha maybe try emailing them?? They also paid for my hotel, but might be more tricky with plane tix!!

FYI for new admits a lot of people got financial aid info yesterday! (somehow snagged a full ride just from aid - still in disbelief) So I imagine that they are going to try to get on aid offers to the new admits ASAP. see y'all at second look!!
Do we have to set up an account or anything to get the fin aid notification? Or do they just directly email you?

steer clear from Hopkins lol their admin is like big brother, they cancelled med prom this year and they track you to the lag and long. They also required students to attend a lecture on professionalism bc of how crazy it is there

• Okay...
  • Hmm
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
steer clear from Hopkins lol their admin is like big brother, they cancelled med prom this year and they track you to the lag and long. They also required students to attend a lecture on professionalism bc of how crazy it is there
Thanks for the inside scoop about the party scene at Johnny Hopkins. I had no idea they were so strict about professionalism over there. They clearly have some catching up to do if they want their students to be ready for the beer pong rounds during residency interviews.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Someone had a late night making no sense.
step-brothers.gif

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Talk me out of Hopkins.

Those with A’s to JHU and considering not going for reasons other than financial, share your thoughts if you don’t mind.

It’s always been my first choice and cost of attendance is basically same as my other options (still waiting on Einstein post interview recently but not expecting them to give any more A’s).

Want to hear why some of you may be deciding not to go to Hopkins to make sure I’m not missing something.

EDIT—realize some current applicants may be shy to answer this so maybe prior years can weigh in.

Congrats to all!

Last edited:
Talk me out of Hopkins.

Those with A’s to JHU and considering not going for reasons other than financial, share your thoughts if you don’t mind.

It’s always been my first choice and cost of attendance is basically same as my other options (still waiting on Einstein post interview recently but not expecting them to give any more A’s).

Want to hear why some of you may be deciding not to go to Hopkins to make sure I’m not missing something.

EDIT—realize some current applicants may be shy to answer this so maybe prior years can weigh in.

Congrats to all!
The location is the only thing. If the location is that important to you, then it is something to consider - but also from what I've seen it's similar to some of the other big cities. But to me that's not much of an issue bc it has everything else I was looking for P/F, no AOA, a godly match list, insane research, great mentorship, friendly students who are more than happy to answer questions, T3, and arguably the biggest name in medicine. Other things to consider (non financial) would be like proximity to family, SO work availability in the area, and weather.

The location is the only thing. If the location is that important to you, then it is something to consider - but also from what I've seen it's similar to some of the other big cities. But to me that's not much of an issue bc it has everything else I was looking for P/F, no AOA, a godly match list, insane research, great mentorship, friendly students who are more than happy to answer questions, T3, and arguably the biggest name in medicine. Other things to consider (non financial) would be like proximity to family, SO work availability in the area, and weather.
Fantastic answer. Will have the opposite effect of what the OP wanted. But fantastic answer.

• Haha
Fantastic answer. Will have the opposite effect of what the OP wanted. But fantastic answer.
lol. No I don’t want to be talked out of it. Just trying to hear best argument against because I’m all but convinced and have been since I got the A!

Thanks for the response!

• Care
lol. No I don’t want to be talked out of it. Just trying to hear best argument against because I’m all but convinced and have been since I got the A!

Thanks for the response!
Only reason not to go: It is only a T2. Do you really want to attend a school that is not T1? That will affect your chances to be an interplanetary alien urologist.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
Only reason not to go: It is only a T2. Do you really want to attend a school that is not T1? That will affect your chances to be an interplanetary alien urologist.
Unironically agree

source: trust me bro

• Haha