Johns Hopkins interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hopkins2010

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Got a call from the MD/PhD director at JHU inviting me for interview.

For others who have been invited, I am just wondering if JHU offers student hosts?

Members don't see this ad.

CONGRATS, Baylor! The doc I did an internship with went there, and raves about it. I'm clueless about student hosts, just hoping to get an interview for the regular program.

MD/PhD interview, I take it?

Nice job baylor21!! :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, its for MD/PhD.

The cool thing is that if you get rejected by the MD/PhD committee they will still consider you for MD only.

I guess I kinda feel like rxfudd does about GWU.

I'M NOT WORTHY!!! :D

From interviewfeedback.com, several posts refer to the fact that at JHU there are med students there observing you even when you are not in an interview, and they report back to the admissions committee.

Can anybody verify this?

wow baylor, your getting interviews left and right, good job ;)

Hey Baylor, I am a big fan of yours . This is my first time posting here. I'm also applying to MD/PhD. Not one interview invite on this end. Sent out my secondaries and recs today. Hey dude, do any of these freaking programs subsidize interview costs. Its looking like the cost of applying might take me out. But you know I aint going out like that. Does anyone know anyone I can sleep with to get some money? :D

I'm a guy but hey, I'll take whatever I can get.

I spoke to my mom, Baylor21 and she says that the packet of info that JHU sent me says that I have the option of staying there overnight with either a student or by myself in one of their dorms. I think that I'm going to take the student option, but I'm not too sure yet. (I'd better decide 'cause I've only got, like a week now :) !)

Best of luck!
Chunk-ee

Originally posted by Original:
•Hey Baylor, I am a big fan of yours . This is my first time posting here. I'm also applying to MD/PhD. Not one interview invite on this end. Sent out my secondaries and recs today. Hey dude, do any of these freaking programs subsidize interview costs. Its looking like the cost of applying might take me out. But you know I aint going out like that. Does anyone know anyone I can sleep with to get some money? :D

I think theres a few MD/PhD programs who will pay for interview costs (Wash U comes to mind) but most of them unfortunately do not.

However, if they like you alot of MD/PhD programs will invite you back for a 2nd look at their expense.

WoW! Congrats

I'm green with envy :)

Congrats to everyone on their interviews at Hopkins!

Yes, Hopkins does have student hosts. Since classes just started this week though, I'm not sure how many people have volunteered to host applicants just yet.

Yes, on your interview day, you will mingle with current Hopkins students who are on the admissions committee. Hopkins values student input in the admissions process, and these students just want to have a chance to say hi to the applicants and help answer questions. They aren't there to put added pressure on you, and they won't be scrutinizing your every move.

Please e-mail me ([email protected]) if you have any questions. Good luck at your interviews.

--doepug

MS II, Johns Hopkins

Originally posted by doepug:
•Congrats to everyone on their interviews at Hopkins!

Yes, Hopkins does have student hosts. Since classes just started this week though, I'm not sure how many people have volunteered to host applicants just yet.

Yes, on your interview day, you will mingle with current Hopkins students who are on the admissions committee. Hopkins values student input in the admissions process, and these students just want to have a chance to say hi to the applicants and help answer questions. They aren't there to put added pressure on you, and they won't be scrutinizing your every move.

Please e-mail me ([email protected]) if you have any questions. Good luck at your interviews.

--doepug

MS II, Johns Hopkins•

Do you have a rough guess of how many people are interviewed at Hopkins every year?

Like 500, 1000, 1500, 2000?

Hmmm... not quite sure, but I'd guess that around 1000 people will interview for the class of 120. Generally around 220 applicants are accepted to fill the class.

I don't know much about how the numbers work for MD/PhD... I know it's a much smaller applicant pool. Our class started with 9 MD/PhD students, and one MD student switched over to the MD/PhD program.

Hope this helps,

doepug

according to the MSAR, out of 7,058 apps last year, 715 interviews were given for the 120 spots. good luck