Johns Hopkins Pre- Med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

collegefreak12

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was looking at MDapplicants.com and I noticed something very interesting. People that went to JHU for undergrad, had an engineering/ tech. major, and got accepted to med school (any med school) all had MCATs in the thirties or higher (31 the LOWEST). Does this mean that JHU is just a great undergrad school fro pre- med, or is it a coincidence?

Members don't see this ad.

JHU premeds are hardcore, because of its rep as a med school.

In fact, out of like 75 applicants, I only saw 5 people that had an MCAT in the 20s. This seems to be saying that JHU is a great place to go for undergrad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let me whip out the old addage of psychology majors: Correlation does not prove causation. Yes, JHU probably has a good pre-med program because of its good medical school. However, it may just attract more students who study a lot and are naturally gifted academically. So, it could be the program...or it could be the students that are attracted to it.

as someone who graduated from hopkins with a bio major, i can tell you hopkins has a phenomenal pre-med program. that being said you will work your butt off just to keep afloat. you'll come out with an incredible knowledge base and you'll learn to think in a way that enables you to solve scientific problems (which is what you will have to do for much of the mcat). the one caveat for someone considering hopkins for pre-med is that the grading system is rather harsh in comparison to a number of other schools out there so more work might get you less in terms of your gpa. that being said, i think the knowledge and the problem-solving skills you'll gain as a hopkins undergrad are hard to beat (not to mention the incredible research opportunities, etc) and will prepare you incredibly well for med school and beyond but you have to be willing to work harder than you'll have to work at a lot of other undergrad institutions. so it comes down to a matter of personal preference and how hard you want to work as an undergrad.

As someone currently in the Hopkins pre-med machine...
I second what the above poster wrote about problem-solving skills, etc.
It certainly does take a toll on your gpa... however the opportunities/contacts you make are amazing. Because of Hopkins, I've gone to India and China for free, I've done some really cool research, and I've been working for someone who could potentially be my residency director in 6 years or so :p.
A lot of the reason you're seeing such good acceptances has to do with the pre-med advisors/committee screening that goes on. they will tell you if you need to take a year off before you apply. In addition, the Hopkins committee letter (from the pre-med committee, sort of a combination of all of your letters of rec) is very highly regarded among med schools.

o_O most were biological science majors but that's usually the majority anyhow lol

I was looking at MDapplicants.com and I noticed something very interesting. People that went to JHU for undergrad, had an engineering/ tech. major, and got accepted to med school (any med school) all had MCATs in the thirties or higher (31 the LOWEST). Does this mean that JHU is just a great undergrad school fro pre- med, or is it a coincidence?

Did you check this for other top tier schools like Harvard? You may be surprised to find that students at schools like Harvard and Hopkins are typically pretty smart, and smart people typically do pretty well on the MCAT ;)

What is so strange about the grading system of Hopkins?

A lot of other competitive schools give a much higher percentage of As. I believe that at Harvard 50% of each class graduates with honors (3.5 or above). I don't know what the average gpa is here, but we certainly don't have 50% graduating with a 3.5.
It of course depends on the class, but most science courses here give grades based on curve, and only give out so many As. In classes like biochem and organic chemistry, you're competing against tons of smart kids who all want As and well...there are only so many of them.
There's nothing magical or crazy about our grading, it's just that we don't believe in grade inflation :p

Whoa whoa whoa.

OK I'm a JHU undergrad and grad alumnus. First off, yes, our Office of Preprofessional Studies (ie PreLaw, PreMed, PreVet, PreDental) is one of the best, if not THE best preprof program in the country. Our advisors have had decades of experience, and the services they provide, from workshops for PS/interviews, to semesterly/yearly update meetings, and mock interviews are extraordinary.

BUT. The reason why their premed acceptance rate is so good is because the school is tough - people get weeded out fast via prereq courses like orgo very early on, like freshman year. And the office is very candid when they tell you whether you can get in or not (depends on the advisor sometimes). For example, when I went in two years ago, they flat out told me I would never get in to any medical school with my GPA. They ironed out a plan to strengthen my credentials, a plan that would take more than an extra year, and told me to follow it and do well otherwise there was no way the PreMed Committee would approve of me applying.

Yes that's right. Our PreMed Committee actually rejects people, refuses to give them the seal of Hopkins, and provides enforcement for those who would go outside the system and use the Hopkins name. That's why the acceptance rates are so high. We have a good preprof program, but they also weed people out, and refuse to let them apply if they do not strengthen their credentials.

the curves are adjusted such that very people will get an A in any given science class... so here you're competing against your classmates most of whom are incredibly bright and work incredibly hard. also, most schools will give you a 4.0 for an A- whereas hopkins will give you a 3.7, etc... this doesn't matter so much for med school apps since the application service recalculates your gpa anyway. personally, i think its worth it to take a little bit of a hit in terms of your gpa in exchange for all the opportunities, etc. besides, as was said above, the pre-med committee does a fabulous job of helping you through the application process. again they require extra work in terms of essays, etc so the person who writes your committee letter can get a good sense of who you are, what your goals are, etc but those essays come in handy when you go to fill out your med school apps. also, the hopkins pre-med education is very well-respected among med school admissions committees (at least as far as i can tell) so if you manage to do well while you're there its going to take you far.

As for the engineering, like I said, premed committee weeds out people - most engineers who try to be premed get their GPAs rocked by the engineering at JHU, courses which are usually all curved (usually to a B- or sometimes even a C!). So what you see on MDapps is even more skewed.

Also, especially for BME, they changed up the curriculum like crazy, to prevent all the BMEs from running off into business or medicine, which happened alot up till 2004ish when they got sick of the lack of retention of engineers and decided to make it harder for people to run off the engineering track. So you might not see that many JHU engineers (at least BME) on MDapps in the future...

Members don't see this ad :)
Whoa whoa whoa.

OK I'm a JHU undergrad and grad alumnus. First off, yes, our Office of Preprofessional Studies (ie PreLaw, PreMed, PreVet, PreDental) is one of the best, if not THE best preprof program in the country. Our advisors have had decades of experience, and the services they provide, from workshops for PS/interviews, to semesterly/yearly update meetings, and mock interviews are extraordinary.

BUT. The reason why their premed acceptance rate is so good is because the school is tough - people get weeded out fast via prereq courses like orgo very early on, like freshman year. And the office is very candid when they tell you whether you can get in or not (depends on the advisor sometimes). For example, when I went in two years ago, they flat out told me I would never get in to any medical school with my GPA. They ironed out a plan to strengthen my credentials, a plan that would take more than an extra year, and told me to follow it and do well otherwise there was no way the PreMed Committee would approve of me applying.

Yes that's right. Our PreMed Committee actually rejects people, refuses to give them the seal of Hopkins, and provides enforcement for those who would go outside the system and use the Hopkins name. That's why the acceptance rates are so high. We have a good preprof program, but they also weed people out, and refuse to let them apply if they do not strengthen their credentials.

I was waiting for your response to all of this.

I'm not arguing that Hopkins does a great job, but curving science classes isn't unique to Hopkins. Many schools curve science classes to an average of a C or a 75%. That's just how it is. Are the students smarter at Hopkins than, say, Podunk State School? Some maybe, but not all. Is competition easier? Perhaps, but you're still competing with your classmates for a certain number of A's, B's, etc. The curving can also work in your favor. Someone posted a while back about I think it was Princeton where a 65% average in OChem meant an A, so that is grade inflation when you think about it. I realize the courses are tough, but I'd argue they're no tougher than some of the other really great schools in the country.

I was looking at MDapplicants.com

MDapplicants.com is voluntary, self-selecting, contains submission inaccuracies/exaggerations and does not represent a fair cross section of pre-meds (at large or at any school), so any conclusions you are drawing from that data is suspect. Look at the MSAR or get data from Hopkins if you want accurate info.

Hopkins = The worst school for me during my undergraduate years & the best school I could have attended when I took the MCATs and graduated.

To the OP, Law2Doc is right, forget what MDApplicant says. First, I'll be surprised that most people actually post their actual information, and if not, the applicants tend to self select. Only those who got the best grade, or think they have the best chance tend to put up their profile. Check the MSARs if you really care.

A lot of what they have said on this board is true, but all that doesn't really matter. It really depends on the applicant and a lot of external factors. Yes, Hopkins toot their high percentage of med school acceptance, but as has been said, they also pre-select people they will reccommend for medical school(totally b.s.).

Anyhow, a good education can be gotten from anywhere, Hopkins just does really well to play the stats.

Hope it helps....

P.S.
Nothing you read on this board should be taken too seriously...really, I mean it.:idea: :idea:

I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've heard someone say that their school, or their specific major, doesn't have grade inflation. It's the ultimate excuse for a poor GPA.

not necessarily. all those coming out of hopkins with 3.9+ gpas that i knew would tell you the grading is harsh.

not necessarily. all those coming out of hopkins with 3.9+ gpas that i knew would tell you the grading is harsh.

Which, conveniently, makes them look even better.

What's their basis for comparison?...highschool?...heresay? Unless they've personally gone to other schools, they can't really make that judgement.

Your post stating "all of those coming out of Hopkins with 3.9+ GPAs that I knew" suggests that you know several people like that, which suggests that it isn't that "harsh" after all.

perhaps it would make them look better but who would need it at that point? my statement gives no sense of numbers... there aren't a lot of people coming out of hopkins with super-high gpas. one can compare across schools to some extent by talking to friends at other schools. bottom line is its a tough school and anyone walking into it should be prepared.

preselects people...=( i thought it was just a minimum gpa that you have to maintain? o_O eternalrage what was your science gpa and overall gpa when they asked you to hold back for one year and iceman did you also get refused a rec and what was their reason for refusing you a rec?

"To be pre-med you will need to meet the requirements set forth by the Pre-Health advisors, one of which includes taking the 8 courses that medical schools want to see undergraduates complete. If you follow the guidelines set forth by the pre-health advising track, then in your senior year the advisors will assist you in applying to medical schools and complete your official letter of recommendation. Basically, this University supported letter of recommendation is our way of saying to medical schools we support these students."
any hopkins' student can you please explain what are the "requirements set forth by the Pre-Health advisors" and "the guidelines set forth by the pre-health advising track"

perhaps it would make them look better but who would need it at that point?

The point is, anytime there's a peer curve, there is grade inflation that comes with grade deflation. Sure, in some classes, the class average might be a 94%, so they have to curve down, but don't tell me there aren't just as many classes where the class average is a 68% and they curve up. That's grade inflation right there. Is it as bad as some schools? Maybe not. But then again, if the average that needs to be curved down is in the low A's/high B's, one could argue the class itself may not be as difficult as the same class offered at, say, Cornell or Yale (where the average is in the 60's) or other equally prestigious schools that are comprised of mostly smart, ambitious pre-meds.

preselects people...=( i thought it was just a minimum gpa that you have to maintain? o_O eternalrage what was your science gpa and overall gpa when they asked you to hold back for one year and iceman did you also get refused a rec and what was their reason for refusing you a rec?

I didn't get refused... I did well. It's just that I know the school does well to crush dreams. Yes, I know what they are doing is ultimately good because they would save 'might be' failures from even applying to medical school, but when the premed committee looks at your application and they don't believe you can't make it, rather than say "Oh, your application isn't strong, you might want to improve this and that before you apply" they say instead "We are not going to recommend you for medical school because we do not believe you can make it and then make suggestions and tell you to come back". Kinda harsh. You can still apply if you like, but without their help. The best school money can buy huh.

Sorry I make it sound personal, but I know a few people who went through this and I still think it sucks. If you see that start of my last post, I said I loved Hopkins, but only after I left because I know I made it out alive. I did well, and I believe that my chances are slightly improved because of it. (This is not to say Hopkins is better...I just honestly believe that reputation wise, a reccommendation from Hopkins goes a long way. Plus the amount of knowledge and experience that was impacted on me goes a long way). I decided to take some time off before I applied to medical (self-imposed, not for grades but for financial reasons) but before I left, I made I did everything I needed and got all my committee requirement so that it is saved for when I need it. For all I know, Hopkins can pull a curveball on me and tell me (if I had not done it earlier), that they do not see my commitment towards the medical field so they will not reccommend me. This is why I made sure to do it, I believe Hopkins is notorious for refusing to do things that might reflect bad on them. (Like refusing to write a reccommendation for a 2.5 student, 28 mcats who just might have had some hardship in life....)

By the way, if you think getting into medical school is hard, try getting into medical school when your school not only refuses to help you, but also works against you. If schools call Hopkins asking why the pre-med committee was not utilized by the student, the university has been known to let it slip that it's because they would not reccommend the student for a medical profession.

All I say if that, if my dreams are to be crushed, let them be crushed after I've exhausted all possibility and on my own terms. Who needs a school you paid all this money towards, to turn around and crush that dream for you.

3.2 overall, 3.0 science. Told me flat out if I did not do extra work to add more to my credentials that they would not let me apply (with Hopkins name).

And yes that is a big deal, people have tried to apply in the past without the JHU premed office, and when the schools call to see why they didn't get a Hopkins Committee letter, the **** hits the fan.

I couldn't possibly count the number of times I've heard someone say that their school, or their specific major, doesn't have grade inflation. It's the ultimate excuse for a poor GPA.

You're right it is an excuse. There are plenty of people in either the person's school or the major that graduate with 3.9s and 4.0s. There are plenty at Hopkins that do so, even coming out of our most rigorous departments, like biophysics and BME.

But it doesn't change the fact that it is a valid excuse. When you hit the average score in the class and make a C. When you make a 96 average on all your exams and are awarded a B. It sucks, and it lowers GPA. Can it be overcome? Yeah. Will you be fighting against JHU's finest? Most definitely.

I agree that not having grade inflation is not the sole factor for a low GPA. I myself used to think that, and it is the height of arrogance to do so. I simply am not smart as the top engineers, nor do I have the mindset that would make a brilliant engineer. But that doesn't mean that the curved classes don't sting.

"To be pre-med you will need to meet the requirements set forth by the Pre-Health advisors, one of which includes taking the 8 courses that medical schools want to see undergraduates complete. If you follow the guidelines set forth by the pre-health advising track, then in your senior year the advisors will assist you in applying to medical schools and complete your official letter of recommendation. Basically, this University supported letter of recommendation is our way of saying to medical schools we support these students."
any hopkins' student can you please explain what are the "requirements set forth by the Pre-Health advisors" and "the guidelines set forth by the pre-health advising track"

The courses are the same as any other major university: Gen Bio/Bio lab, Chem/Chem Lab, Orgo/Orgo Lab, Physics/Physics Lab, Calculus, English Elective (literature based), English elective (writing based), Biochem/Biochem lab (recommended).

The premed office at JHU generally advocates the pursuit of the following credentials, give or take (not in any specific order after GPA/MCAT):
1.) GPA over a 3.5
2.) MCAT over 30, with even spread
3.) Non clinical volunteering
4.) Clinical volunteering
5.) Research
6.) Extra curriculars, with leadership positions

They emphasize 1+ years commitment in any of 3-6. LORs should be from professors who kno you, and cookie cutter letters are discouraged.

They set a specific timeline of events for the application process and required meetings starting anywhere from your junior year. Committee paperwork is due in June I believe. Personal statements are supposed to be reviewed by our Writing Center and approved by advisors (though some applicants don't), mock interviews, etc etc.

It's no different than what any decent premed office suggests/requires. The main difference is like we stated before, that if you aren't doing what you are supposed to be doing, and you walk in asking when you can apply, they will come down on you like a hurricane and then refuse to help you.

Hopkins = The worst school for me during my undergraduate years & the best school I could have attended when I took the MCATs and graduated.

I agree, it was the worst experience during undergraduate, and a big part of that was on me too. I think one of the biggest problems at JHU is that the competetive cutthroat atmosphere sometimes causes people to forget that they are there primarily to learn. They become excellent workers, but horrible student learners. It's partially the university yes, but a big part of that is also on the student, for not maturing as they need to.

And that was my problem. And that is why Hopkins was the best school I could have attended because it taught me that. I think if I had tried to go into med school without this experience, I would be dead. It is definitely a surviving experience, as someone stated, but what you learn is most valuable. I'm two years behind my whiz kid friends who whisked off to med school right after graduation, but I wouldn't trade my undergrad/grad experiences for anything else.

So JHU is rough yes, but it is also what you make of it.

To the OP, Law2Doc is right, forget what MDApplicant says. First, I'll be surprised that most people actually post their actual information, and if not, the applicants tend to self select. Only those who got the best grade, or think they have the best chance tend to put up their profile. Check the MSARs if you really care.

A lot of what they have said on this board is true, but all that doesn't really matter. It really depends on the applicant and a lot of external factors. Yes, Hopkins toot their high percentage of med school acceptance, but as has been said, they also pre-select people they will reccommend for medical school(totally b.s.).

Anyhow, a good education can be gotten from anywhere, Hopkins just does really well to play the stats.

Hope it helps....

P.S.
Nothing you read on this board should be taken too seriously...really, I mean it.:idea: :idea:

Damn straight! Those 4 years weren't fun, but thanks Hopkins for everything post-college.

=/ no wonder alot of the undergrad surveyed were dissatisfied of hopkins =(

1 more year...
committee paperwork is due may 15th this year.
and yeah, the only reason they're letting me apply without a 3.5 is that I'm an athlete.

The average GPA for Hopkins graduates is just a bit below 3.5 (at least it was back in 2004). I got a copy of my transcript and a green pamphlet that explains what all the codes on the transcript mean, and there was a chart with the 25th, 50th, and 75th percentiles for the four area majors. 50th percentile for natural science majors was 3.45.

thank you ncbaby...someone else also remarked that the avg science gpa was around a 3.4-3.5 just last year so i guess 2005 was the same =D...yes at least much more comfort =D

I absolutely hate when people brag about their oh so fine premed program. I was accepted at both JHU and Amherst (harvard wasn't my thing) for undergrad. Now im at Muhlenberg College (liberal arts school in PA known affectionately as the "premed factory" of PA. After attending JHU and then transferring (family stuff don't want to get into it) after my freshman year, i think it is safe to say that the premed program at JHU is hyped up. People attend JHU for undergrad under the misconception that "Wow they have a great medical school so im sure their undergrad knows how to make good doctors out of those young bastards." Hell thats the reason i attended JHU in the first place. WRONG. I find that the premed program isn't dependent on the preprofessions board at all but rather on the damn professors of the required courses for the MCAT as well as the upper level courses one might take during their academic career. IN FACT, i found the program here at Muhlenberg is nothing short of ideal. Multiple opportunities arise everyday I would ahve never thought of pursuing. I.E. this summer I am going to arusha, Tanzania and New Delhi, India for a paid volunteering experience. Additionally, I will be conducting first author research with the world's leading resource on the GABA receptor (inhibitory receptor found in the brain). Just like JHU the program here at Muhlenberg is certainly competitive. Kids are at each others throats for the science GPA (I'm a gunner yes :rolleyes: ) and almost all (minus 2 or 3) of our science-based professors are "terminal degreed" graduates of Ivys. Our general chem professor (he is the head of the department) is one of four chemical engineer graduates at MIT in ten years. The sucker has developed FDA approved technology (K+ sensors for cardiac muscle) which was just recently sold to the South Korean Gov't. Point is, MOST liberal arts schools which are private and cost a buncha dinero usually have great 4 yr preprofessional programs. Just look for the college that suits your expectations of the undergraduate college experience (i.e. attractive women, cozy library, etc.) and I'm sure you will do just fine. After all sweetheart, it's the GPA, MCAT, and finding the cure for AIDS thats gonna let you slip a roofie in your amca application come cycle time. ;)

After attending JHU and then transferring (family stuff don't want to get into it) after my freshman year, i think it is safe to say that the premed program at JHU is hyped up.
That's because we don't have a premed program. We don't have a "premed major" like other universities. Like I stated before, Hopkins is what you make of it. And the premed office is great - not because of the services it offers, which again as I previously stated before, is no different than any decent premed office - but because of the experience of the advisors and their willingness to tell you exactly what you need, even if that means crushing your dreams so you can actually start building them.

People attend JHU for undergrad under the misconception that "Wow they have a great medical school so im sure their undergrad knows how to make good doctors out of those young bastards." Hell thats the reason i attended JHU in the first place. WRONG. I find that the premed program isn't dependent on the preprofessions board at all but rather on the damn professors of the required courses for the MCAT as well as the upper level courses one might take during their academic career.
The only people who attend colleges under misconceptions are those that don't care enough to research what they are getting into. JHU preprof knows what it takes to make a good applicant, but again like I said before JHU is what you make of it.

And this continued reference to the "premed program" - again we don't have a set major. Of course the courses depend on the professors - they are the ones teaching after all. The preprof office isn't some miracle worker, and the JHUers here are trying to convey that. They get results because they demand something of the applicants and if they don't meet it, they don't apply. Plain and simple.

average stats for acceptance into med school:
• Average science GPA of 3.51
• Average nonscience GPA of 3.66
• MCAT average of 29.7 (9.6 verbal, 9.9
physical sciences, 10.2 biological sciences, and a
P writing sample)
http://www.jhu.edu/~careers/parents/...l_advising.pdf
11-oct-2006 last modified
...so basically one just needs to make sure one is around on the top 50% of his science classes lol
-which is not really easy...o_O

You're right it is an excuse. There are plenty of people in either the person's school or the major that graduate with 3.9s and 4.0s. There are plenty at Hopkins that do so, even coming out of our most rigorous departments, like biophysics and BME.

But it doesn't change the fact that it is a valid excuse. When you hit the average score in the class and make a C. When you make a 96 average on all your exams and are awarded a B. It sucks, and it lowers GPA. Can it be overcome? Yeah. Will you be fighting against JHU's finest? Most definitely.

I agree that not having grade inflation is not the sole factor for a low GPA. I myself used to think that, and it is the height of arrogance to do so. I simply am not smart as the top engineers, nor do I have the mindset that would make a brilliant engineer. But that doesn't mean that the curved classes don't sting.

eff that. i think grade deflation is a perfectly valid "excuse" for a low gpa. at mit, premeds consistently get FCKED because all majors have shtty curves and theyre centered low. yes, if i don't get into med school, i will blame it on the toughness of my school to maintain a great gpa. other than gpa, it's a great place to go: unbelievable research opportunities, amazing hospitals around, and you learn a hell of a lot. it's just that the gpa sucks. i can assure you that other schools (like the big H down the street from us) have way less grade pressure... i'm cross-registering for a class there because it's not offered here this term and the grading makes it unbelievably easy to get the A. call it bitterness, call it what you will, but the gpa's we get from here definately don't reflect the work/smarts we put into this place.

I absolutely hate when people brag about their oh so fine premed program. I was accepted at both JHU and Amherst (harvard wasn't my thing) for undergrad. Now im at Muhlenberg College (liberal arts school in PA known affectionately as the "premed factory" of PA. After attending JHU and then transferring (family stuff don't want to get into it) after my freshman year, i think it is safe to say that the premed program at JHU is hyped up. People attend JHU for undergrad under the misconception that "Wow they have a great medical school so im sure their undergrad knows how to make good doctors out of those young bastards." Hell thats the reason i attended JHU in the first place. WRONG. I find that the premed program isn't dependent on the preprofessions board at all but rather on the damn professors of the required courses for the MCAT as well as the upper level courses one might take during their academic career. IN FACT, i found the program here at Muhlenberg is nothing short of ideal. Multiple opportunities arise everyday I would ahve never thought of pursuing. I.E. this summer I am going to arusha, Tanzania and New Delhi, India for a paid volunteering experience. Additionally, I will be conducting first author research with the world's leading resource on the GABA receptor (inhibitory receptor found in the brain). Just like JHU the program here at Muhlenberg is certainly competitive. Kids are at each others throats for the science GPA (I'm a gunner yes :rolleyes: ) and almost all (minus 2 or 3) of our science-based professors are "terminal degreed" graduates of Ivys. Our general chem professor (he is the head of the department) is one of four chemical engineer graduates at MIT in ten years. The sucker has developed FDA approved technology (K+ sensors for cardiac muscle) which was just recently sold to the South Korean Gov't. Point is, MOST liberal arts schools which are private and cost a buncha dinero usually have great 4 yr preprofessional programs. Just look for the college that suits your expectations of the undergraduate college experience (i.e. attractive women, cozy library, etc.) and I'm sure you will do just fine. After all sweetheart, it's the GPA, MCAT, and finding the cure for AIDS thats gonna let you slip a roofie in your amca application come cycle time. ;)

Unless you attend Harvard, Stanford, Cal Tech, JHU, or MIT, you have no business writing up a paragraph about why the research at your school is top-notch.

Also, what is paid volunteering?

I will be conducting first author research with the world's leading resource on the GABA receptor (inhibitory receptor found in the brain).

its great you've found your niche at muhlenberg and all but you might want to tone it down a bit when it comes to your research... it takes more than a few papers in mid-level journals to qualify as the world's leading authority on the GABA receptor.

Additionally, I will be conducting first author research with the world's leading resource on the GABA receptor (inhibitory receptor found in the brain).

Hopkins neurosci DISCOVERED neurotransmitters.

Hopkins ftw!

I am glad that I went to my small obscure liberal arts college and had a good time. Well, I will be starting med school in the fall anyway.

1 more year...
committee paperwork is due may 15th this year.
and yeah, the only reason they're letting me apply without a 3.5 is that I'm an athlete.

school intramural team. I know you are a track girl, but over six foot, and there is a rumour that you can play above the rim. True? Just don't talk about Hopkins all the time when we go out for beers after the game.

its great you've found your niche at muhlenberg and all but you might want to tone it down a bit when it comes to your research... it takes more than a few papers in mid-level journals to qualify as the world's leading authority on the GABA receptor.

I was third author on a poster that was presented at the Society for Neuroscience last year.

I WANT A NOBEL

But, yeah, GABA is cool and all, but how much neuroscience research can be going on at a small liberal arts college? I'm sure it has great faculty -- most LAC's do -- but real neuroscience happens at places like Pittsburgh, Hopkins, Michigan, etc. Small schools just don't have the money or the interest.

you fool, first of all you dont know of the gaba receptor studies done by the neuroscientist i will be conducting research under. Second, I have attended JHU and nailed a 3.925 my first year so my opinion holds some justification as well as face value. Third, Muhlenberg does not have a premed major either, it is merely a concentration. An A- is a 3.7 just like JHU and a B+ (just like JHU is considered a 3.3). If you're gonna come up with a reasonable argument, go to JHU first and then back to your school. After this notify me and perhaps we will draw a giant venn diagram for those who have not attended

school intramural team. I know you are a track girl, but over six foot, and there is a rumour that you can play above the rim. True? Just don't talk about Hopkins all the time when we go out for beers after the game.

Hahaha. I feel slightly stalked. I'm awful at basketball and despise being asked if I play it.
However, the beers after the game sound good :p.
I'm pretty sure that outside of SDN/convincing people in hs to come to Hopkins, I don't talk about it all that much...

you fool, first of all you dont know of the gaba receptor studies done by the neuroscientist i will be conducting research under. Second, I have attended JHU and nailed a 3.925 my first year so my opinion holds some justification as well as face value. Third, Muhlenberg does not have a premed major either, it is merely a concentration. An A- is a 3.7 just like JHU and a B+ (just like JHU is considered a 3.3). If you're gonna come up with a reasonable argument, go to JHU first and then back to your school. After this notify me and perhaps we will draw a giant venn diagram for those who have not attended

Wow. Someone is touchy.

Google of "john hopkins gaba" = 156,000 hits

Google of "Muhlenberg college gaba" = 145 hits

JHU HAS OVER ONE THOUSAND TIMES MORE GABA RESEARCH THAN YOUR COLLEGE

Second, I have attended JHU and nailed a 3.925 my first year so my opinion holds some justification as well as face value.

I need to stop continuing this fight but I think it's really funny so...
IF you really went to JHU you'd know that the first sem is S/U and thus you only earned a 3.925 for your second semester of freshman year. 2nd sem freshman is unlikely to be representative of an entire college career.

*must stop picking fights with people who are obviously happy at their college and concentrate on things like LORs and PS.*