Johns Hopkins Secondary

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RussianRiver

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For the Letters of Recommendation, what does Senior Faculty mean. My letters are from associate professors? is that senior enough? and what does "institution affiliation" mean?

Members don't see this ad.

I think by 'Senior Faculty' they mean not TAs, not graduate students, but people who are actually employed as professors by the school. Institution Affiliation just means where they work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Associate professors should be fine. Tenured professors would be better though. I think they want letters from someone who has been teaching for a long time, whose name they'd probably recognize, to compare you against others.

A TA saying "he's the brightest kid I've had in my class in the last year" versus another professor saying "I've been teaching for fourty yeras now, and he's one of the brightest" carry very different weights.

i called hopkins about this...the person on the phone was very rude and told me if i cant meet their LOR requirements I shouldnt bother applying. And yes, senior faculty does NOT include associate professors (according to her)

she was a biatch!

Wow--that's a huge turnoff. Really.

wait can someone tell me what this dispute is all about????????????? IS this if you DONT have a committee letter?? Do all the ppl who wrote you letters have to be full professors? I have two associates and one assistant and one who is not even a professor of anything, shes just a clinician in private practice who i shadowed!!! help!?!?!?

wait can someone tell me what this dispute is all about????????????? IS this if you DONT have a committee letter?? Do all the ppl who wrote you letters have to be full professors? I have two associates and one assistant and one who is not even a professor of anything, shes just a clinician in private practice who i shadowed!!! help!?!?!?

Yes, this pertains to people who don't have a committee letter. You are suppossed to submit two letters from science faculty (not clinicians!). I submitted one from an associate professor and the other from a full professor. I took the senior thing to mean not a TA or grad student. If they didn't make it clear that you needed letters from full professors then I'm going to say this is their fault.