You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Johns Hopkins Undergrad GPA
Started by vrk710
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
This is similar to UChicago's. Median/BCPM GPA: 3.60/3.53 for last year's succesful applicants.
If I remember correctly, the years before were more like 3.55/3.50.
If I remember correctly, the years before were more like 3.55/3.50.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
it's below average, suggesting that school MIGHT have a slight relevance in admissionwho cares?
who cares?
Poor JHU pre-meds in despair about their GPAs perhaps?
Maybe, but you'd have to account for MCAT to make that conclusion. I'd guess that Hopkins students have a better shot at a good MCAT than mostit's below average, suggesting that school MIGHT have a slight relevance in admission
Meh, p>. 05
good pointMaybe, but you'd have to account for MCAT to make that conclusion. I'd guess that Hopkins students have a better shot at a good MCAT than most
Just some stats I thought I'd share based on the JHU preprof office. The following are stats for JHU students applying to Med School:
Median GPA for succesful applicants: 3.63
Average BCPM GPA: 3.55
% of applicants taking a gap year: 80%
These statistics are for allopathic medical schools only.
Did JHU GPA take a hit once they discontinued that policy of not counting either first semester or first year of grades?
I don't think med schools are giving JHU a pass for a somewhat lesser GPA. I think their applicants may have a higher MCAT and they improve their apps during their gap years. If they truly were getting a pass, then why bother with a gap year...just apply with their GPA and get the nudge?
I don't think med schools are giving JHU a pass for a somewhat lesser GPA. I think their applicants may have a higher MCAT and they improve their apps during their gap years. If they truly were getting a pass, then why bother with a gap year...just apply with their GPA and get the nudge?
Last edited:
Did
JHU GPA take a hit once they discontinued that policy of not counting either first semester or first year of grades?
I don't think med schools are giving JHU a pass for a somewhat lesser GPA. I think their applicants may have a higher MCAT and they improve their apps during their gap years. If they truly were getting a pass, then why bother with a gap year...just apply with their GPA and get the nudge?
For the 2016-2017 cycle, the average MCAT score of JHU accepted applicants to allopathic schools was 510.5, which we can compare to with the national matriculant average of 508.7.
First semester cover grade policy just recently started so it doesn't effect the numbers yet.
From what I've heard, removal of covered grades for the freshman first semester was implemented starting this semester, so it wouldn't show in the current GPA data.Did
JHU GPA take a hit once they discontinued that policy of not counting either first semester or first year of grades?
I don't think med schools are giving JHU a pass for a somewhat lesser GPA. I think their applicants may have a higher MCAT and they improve their apps during their gap years. If they truly were getting a pass, then why bother with a gap year...just apply with their GPA and get the nudge?
I think AAMC still requires that it be inputted regardlessFrom what I've heard, removal of covered grades for the freshman first semester was implemented starting this semester, so it wouldn't show in the current GPA data.
If you’re referring to filling out the AMCAS, can confirm the letter grades are not inputted into AMCAS but as “pass” or “fail” for the first semester.I think AAMC still requires that it be inputted regardless
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
??????
I can't tell if that was sarcasm b/c this is the internet but just in case it isn't
Northwestern student here. The average GPA for accepted students was 3.64 cumulative and 3.60 BCPM. I think most medical schools do take difficulty into account.
Northwestern student here. The average GPA for accepted students was 3.64 cumulative and 3.60 BCPM. I think most medical schools do take difficulty into account.
Where is that posted? And does that include DO schools or abroad SOMs
8
863168
I think all schools should implement GPA forgiveness for first semester of first year if students elect to have their grades voided. Transitioning away from a home town into Baltimore no less can be a harrowing experience.
I think this only works for motivated students like those at Hopkins lol. Imagine how little studying would be done at Bama or Ohio State if this were implemented - people would be failing left and rightI think all schools should implement GPA forgiveness for first semester of first year if students elect to have their grades voided. Transitioning away from a home town into Baltimore no less can be a harrowing experience.
8
863168
My affection towards Hopkins students has more to do with how it implements "grade deflation" to the point where the prevalence of a 92 results in a four point deduction for all students in order to adjust the curve. This is a masturbatory practice by the institution to gratify itself at the expense of the students who will complain and legitimize the notorious prestige of the school. Out of the few Hopkins premed students I have talked to it is surprising how often they doubt continuing the premedical tract due to arbitrarily punitive practices such as these which bring to the fore the trivial and frivolous nature of "academic prestige."I think this only works for motivated students like those at Hopkins lol. Imagine how little studying would be done at Bama or Ohio State if this were implemented - people would be failing left and right
Most students don't face this existential dilemma until they take Organic Chemistry. These people don't understand how the first year of padding allowed them to establish support networks or a schematic structure of how to absorb stress and negative feedback. The dilemma occurs when a lot of academic effort on the part of the student is undertaken for barely passable results. Psychological studies have indicated that the frontal cortex responsible for impulse control and cognitive thinking develops until the early to mid-20s indicating that harshly punitive measures of grade deflation during the early onset of cognitive growth is counter-intuitive to culturing a genuine interest in the area of science. I could go at length about how I feel cultivating a genuine interest in an academic field is infinitesimally more important to cognitive growth than to merely be a GPA robot, but it's an opinion that is worthless because it won't change the contemporary paradigm of degrees being used as a socioeconomic status symbol for career advancement into the middle class.
Last edited by a moderator:
6
698344
There’s a bit of a gap between those schools, although both are known primarily for football.I think this only works for motivated students like those at Hopkins lol. Imagine how little studying would be done at Bama or Ohio State if this were implemented - people would be failing left and right
Me too, and I don't need CARS flashbacks.Your command of the English language is giving me a headache.
Yeah I'm aware - I just don't especially care for the better one lolThere’s a bit of a gap between those schools, although both are known primarily for football.
There’s a bit of a gap between those schools, although both are known primarily for football.
Gap in students' ACT/SAT?
What are their reported test scores, for say, their upper quartile or top third (which is presumably where their premeds are coming from)?
You're really smart.My affection towards Hopkins students has more to do with how it implements "grade deflation" to the point where the prevalence of a 92 results in a four point deduction for all students in order to adjust the curve. This is a masturbatory practice by the institution to gratify itself at the expense of the students who will complain and legitimize the notorious prestige of the school. Out of the few Hopkins premed students I have talked to it is surprising how often they doubt continuing the premedical tract due to arbitrarily punitive practices such as these which bring to the fore the trivial and frivolous nature of "academic prestige."
Most students don't face this existential dilemma until they take Organic Chemistry. These people don't understand how the first year of padding allowed them to establish support networks or a schematic structure of how to absorb stress and negative feedback. The dilemma occurs when a lot of academic effort on the part of the student is undertaken for barely passable results. Psychological studies have indicated that the frontal cortex responsible for impulse control and cognitive thinking develops until the early to mid-20s indicating that harshly punitive measures of grade deflation during the early onset of cognitive growth is counter-intuitive to culturing a genuine interest in the area of science. I could go at length about how I feel cultivating a genuine interest in an academic field is infinitesimally more important to cognitive growth than to merely be a GPA robot, but it's an opinion that is worthless because it won't change the contemporary paradigm of degrees being used as a socioeconomic status symbol for career advancement into the middle class.
8
863168
When I become stupidly impulsive I lose control over my words.You're really smart.
I anticipate this resolving itself by your mid 20s at the latest.When I become stupidly impulsive I lose control over my words.
masturbatory practice
Nice
I don't think the data has been officially released but that is what the premed office told me from their 5 year data.Where is that posted? And does that include DO schools or abroad SOMs
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
DJ Khaled's Pet Tiger
That 80% gap year rate thoJust some stats I thought I'd share based on the JHU preprof office. The following are stats for JHU students applying to Med School:
Median GPA for succesful applicants: 3.63
Average BCPM GPA: 3.55
% of applicants taking a gap year: 80%
My affection towards Hopkins students has more to do with how it implements "grade deflation" to the point where the prevalence of a 92 results in a four point deduction for all students in order to adjust the curve. This is a masturbatory practice by the institution to gratify itself at the expense of the students who will complain and legitimize the notorious prestige of the school. Out of the few Hopkins premed students I have talked to it is surprising how often they doubt continuing the premedical tract due to arbitrarily punitive practices such as these which bring to the fore the trivial and frivolous nature of "academic prestige."
Most students don't face this existential dilemma until they take Organic Chemistry. These people don't understand how the first year of padding allowed them to establish support networks or a schematic structure of how to absorb stress and negative feedback. The dilemma occurs when a lot of academic effort on the part of the student is undertaken for barely passable results. Psychological studies have indicated that the frontal cortex responsible for impulse control and cognitive thinking develops until the early to mid-20s indicating that harshly punitive measures of grade deflation during the early onset of cognitive growth is counter-intuitive to culturing a genuine interest in the area of science. I could go at length about how I feel cultivating a genuine interest in an academic field is infinitesimally more important to cognitive growth than to merely be a GPA robot, but it's an opinion that is worthless because it won't change the contemporary paradigm of degrees being used as a socioeconomic status symbol for career advancement into the middle class.
You should write CARS passages.
And I can't imagine the questions he'd come up with.You should write CARS passages.
??????
I can't tell if that was sarcasm b/c this is the internet but just in case it isn't
I'm serious. I mean, I know that's good enough to get into med school, but a 3.5 is half As and half Bs. They should make the minimum prereq a 3.7 or so
I'm serious. I mean, I know that's good enough to get into med school, but a 3.5 is half As and half Bs. They should make the minimum prereq a 3.7 or so
If you have a quarter of C's due to extenuating circumstances you could also tank your GPA despite otherwise having mostly A's. Also not everyone is gunning for med school as a freshman. Some people get B's in the beginning but then work harder or develop better study habits later. Hence why there's so many people with sub 3.5 GPA but very high MCAT scores.
NTM some people need time to adjust to college. Your GPA is supposed to show your potential, and what you can achieve. It doesn't have to be perfect right off the bat.If you have a quarter of C's due to extenuating circumstances you could also tank your GPA despite otherwise having mostly A's. Also not everyone is gunning for med school as a freshman. Some people get B's in the beginning but then work harder or develop better study habits later. Hence why there's so many people with sub 3.5 GPA but very high MCAT scores.
That's like literally half of what this sub-forum consists of.
I am somewhat ashamed that I laughed at thisNice
Similar threads
- Replies
- 10
- Views
- 836