2023-2024 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I lied, I did get an email. Checked now, it got lost in my inbox.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Man this is so incredibly disheartening :( I got WL by JHU.

Hopkins was the only school to give me an interview this year. I'm an international applicant, so ik standards are a lot higher for me, but so many of the other international students in this thread get multiple IIs from so many top schools. At first I thought I'm just a bad essay writer or my work and activities sucks compared to others or I have a really lame personal statement, and honestly that might all be true, but this interview meant the entire world to me and I feel like I just ruined a golden opportunity.

I know I at least didn't get outright rejected, but it looks as if there's more people posting about their WLs here than actual As so I am doubtful. Just gonna have to force myself to forget about this and bury any hopes of getting in off the WL, cuz I've been burned by these WLs far too often. Sorry if this post is against the rules or smthing, I won't post abt it again, I just don't have anyone in my life to explain my feelings to.
I don't know if this is entirely true or not, so take it with a grain of salt. I spoke to a current M4 at Johns Hopkins, and she said half of her 120 person class came off the waitlist. The cycle is so emotionally draining but keep hope!

Reactions: 2 users
Man this is so incredibly disheartening :( I got WL by JHU.

Hopkins was the only school to give me an interview this year. I'm an international applicant, so ik standards are a lot higher for me, but so many of the other international students in this thread get multiple IIs from so many top schools. At first I thought I'm just a bad essay writer or my work and activities sucks compared to others or I have a really lame personal statement, and honestly that might all be true, but this interview meant the entire world to me and I feel like I just ruined a golden opportunity.

I know I at least didn't get outright rejected, but it looks as if there's more people posting about their WLs here than actual As so I am doubtful. Just gonna have to force myself to forget about this and bury any hopes of getting in off the WL, cuz I've been burned by these WLs far too often. Sorry if this post is against the rules or smthing, I won't post abt it again, I just don't have anyone in my life to explain my feelings to.
Just wanted to say that I'm not intl but this was the only top school to give me an interview and I'm now also WL'd so I very much relate to you questioning your activities/writing. I don't think we're bad applicants. I think Hopkins just saw something in us and gave us a chance. And we still have one. I hope I see you in Baltimore this fall.

• Care
Reactions: 3 users
I don't know if this is entirely true or not, so take it with a grain of salt. I spoke to a current M4 at Johns Hopkins, and she said half of her 120 person class came off the waitlist. The cycle is so emotionally draining but keep hope!
For last year, they only accepted 25 people from waitlist according to MSAR. Still signifcant for the size of the class, but more like 20 percent of class as opposed to 50.

Yeah i think it varies year to year. There should be decent WL movement in this school because people who are competitive enough to get in here also have other very competitive offers.

Just wanted to add a little piece of info from my interview day. Dean Houder mentioned that waitlist acceptances are in the ballpark of 2-4 dozen, but vary drastically from year to year. Hope this helps!!

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
So I heard that Hopkins is transitioning to a 1 year preclinical for the incoming class, but I wasn't given much information on it in the interview day. Does anyone have more information?

Reactions: 1 users
So I heard that Hopkins is transitioning to a 1 year preclinical for the incoming class, but I wasn't given much information on it in the interview day. Does anyone have more information?
Curious about this as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS II earlier today! Submitted my secondary about 15 minutes before the deadline on 11/1, so this was a very unexpected and happy surprise! Only date option available to me was 2/16, but there were lots of time options.
Congrats!! Hoping there’s one last week of interviews on 2/22 and 2/23, otherwise it was a good run

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry if this has been answered but what are people's thoughts on when one should send a post-interview update? Before the committee meets to discuss your application/interview or only if you are waitlisted?

Sorry if this has been answered but what are people's thoughts on when one should send a post-interview update? Before the committee meets to discuss your application/interview or only if you are waitlisted?
I sent an update before and was accepted. So it didn’t hurt in my case.

Last edited:
  • Care
they don't go back and have more committee meetings for waitlisted students. So any updates after the committee meeting won't help your case.

Pre-II.

Ayo they hit us with "please consider exploring alternative educational pathways."

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
+1. Penn really set the bar high with their concise but very nice rejection letter. This one uses so many more words only to sound worse lol.

Johns Hopkins really said consider clarinet school at Squidward Community College because your clown ahh ain't getting into med.

• Haha
  • Care
Reactions: 13 users
I, too, found their rejection … rude a bit? Maybe I am being ~sensitive~ tho so

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
tbh i stopped reading the Rs bc like i don’t care but that last line is CRAZY imo. like most places end with something like “we hope you get a great medical education wherever you go” not “consider other endeavors”

• Haha
to add to my prior point, at least a good number of rejected applicants have or will have an A elsewhere. it’s crazy from my perspective to hear “consider other educational opportunities” knowing i will attend medical school. idk it give “if you don’t get a medical education here, what’s the point” energy lmao

to add to my prior point, at least a good number of rejected applicants have or will have an A elsewhere. it’s crazy from my perspective to hear “consider other educational opportunities” knowing i will attend medical school. idk it give “if you don’t get a medical education here, what’s the point” energy lmao
RT!!! I feel like it’s also so crazy this email was prob cleared by like 10 people and not one person was like hmm yea maybe we should change this one part

Reactions: 3 users
Me sitting here giggling and kicking my feet thinking I’ve dodged the R wave but knowing full well it’s coming 🤡

Fax I got Can You Hear the Music queued up for when I catch the R
Me sitting here giggling and kicking my feet thinking I’ve dodged the R wave but knowing full well it’s coming 🤡

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users
It also took over two months for my app to be marked complete here for some reason, so I'll probably get my R in 2 months.

• Haha
So glad Hopkins is one of the schools that sends IIs all the way into February... I spent literally ~25 hours on my secondary here and it served as the basis for a lot of my other secondaries. I'm generally very conservative about II chances but I SWEAR this is the one school where they just need to see it and I've got a shot
Haven’t gotten the email yet, but I guess my hubris got me… I did pour my heart and soul into this one though and it was probably my favorite school going in

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Haven’t gotten the email yet, but I guess my hubris got me… I did pour my heart and soul into this one though and it was probably my favorite school going in
I could be wrong but maybe they are not done yet w interviews?