July 15 2009 scores rocket lunching thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sislo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
This is the official thread for scores released on July 15th.It opens officially at midnight or 11 am or whatever time it is.Please record your scores and hopefully we will break the 283 record obtained by some indian guy in 2003

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So does everyone who didn't get their scores yesterday have to wait at least until next Wednesday or could they be posted before that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! Never posted here before, but I followed it way back during the MCAT days (if any of us can remember back that far!)... It was a big help seeing that all of you were going through the same thing as me while studying, anticipating Step 1, and then sitting up Tuesday night JUST IN CASE scores were released at midnight!

Just wanted to share my experience:

NBME in April: 230
USMLE World: 78% random unused once
NBME 2 two weeks before exam: 255

My goal was to break 250. A 255 was my ultimate... I checked Wednesday immediately after rounds at 11...

Step 1 6/16: 264/99!!!!!!!!

Amazing how wonderful it feels! Congratulations to everyone on your truly fantastic scores!!!

While the Nat'l Average is right around 220, the SDN Step 1 average is right around 244 (calculated quickly from 38 scores that I quickly read through on this thread). My school's average typically falls near 230.

Oh, the SDN crowd...

While the Nat'l Average is right around 220, the SDN Step 1 average is right around 244 (calculated quickly from 38 scores that I quickly read through on this thread). My school's average typically falls near 230.

Oh, the SDN crowd...

The SDN crowd most likely represents students that are 25% in their class (most of them) with a couple of mortals here and there...

how are you holding up whatupdoc? i recall you have 1 week. i have 2 days till mine.. i pushed it back cause i was just not in the right mindset. now im kind of bored and dont feel like going through everything all over again.. i need a big motivation boost at this point - i feel like what i know is what i know and what i dont know im still not going to know.

how are you holding up whatupdoc? i recall you have 1 week. i have 2 days till mine.. i pushed it back cause i was just not in the right mindset. now im kind of bored and dont feel like going through everything all over again.. i need a big motivation boost at this point - i feel like what i know is what i know and what i dont know im still not going to know.
lol i hope your test start time is 12PM bc being up at 2AM 2 days before my exam would have killed me on test day.

ENThopeful how have you been? Well, my test is next Friday (24). As of now, I am going through my second "review" of FA but paying more attention to the pharmacology as I go through systems. On my first review, I was veeeery slow, so I feel you in the "trying to find motivation" thing. For some reason the first part of FA took a lot of energy to cram. Right now, I still have 7 blocks left to do in UWORLD and I will try to distribute them throughout the week. I really don't want to lose the "heat of the moment". I am planning to go at least one more time through FA next 3 days while doing Uworld. Last day will try to wake up early to review crammable subjects one more time, get a nice haircut and try to relax from 4:00 PM or so..

I also took NBME 6 two days ago and got a 229 (530) that hopefully will translate to something good in the real deal. Let's see what happens...

lol i hope your test start time is 12PM bc being up at 2AM 2 days before my exam would have killed me on test day.

it sure is :D

ENThopeful how have you been? Well, my test is next Friday (24). As of now, I am going through my second "review" of FA but paying more attention to the pharmacology as I go through systems. On my first review, I was veeeery slow, so I feel you in the "trying to find motivation" thing. For some reason the first part of FA took a lot of energy to cram. Right now, I still have 7 blocks left to do in UWORLD and I will try to distribute them throughout the week. I really don't want to lose the "heat of the moment". I am planning to go at least one more time through FA next 3 days while doing Uworld. Last day will try to wake up early to review crammable subjects one more time, get a nice haircut and try to relax from 4:00 PM or so..

I also took NBME 6 two days ago and got a 229 (530) that hopefully will translate to something good in the real deal. Let's see what happens...

you sound like you have a great plan mapped out. id stick with it. i think the test scores predict the best, so no matter what anxiety you have, id tell your self that your test score is the baseline, and the sky is the limit! i definitely have been doing tons of problems too so I dont loose the ability to analyze questions which I think is most important. I read FA slowly too and now am just flipping through it to see what i missed etc.. i dont feel like doing a detailed review of FA, it was painful and I felt like poking my eyes out most of the time. good luck buddy I think you are on the right track. see you on the other side !

The time has come for those of us late June test takers who missed the cutoff for last Wednesday. Tomorrow morning they're going to be posted :) Yay!

it sure is :D

you sound like you have a great plan mapped out. id stick with it. i think the test scores predict the best, so no matter what anxiety you have, id tell your self that your test score is the baseline, and the sky is the limit! i definitely have been doing tons of problems too so I dont loose the ability to analyze questions which I think is most important. I read FA slowly too and now am just flipping through it to see what i missed etc.. i dont feel like doing a detailed review of FA, it was painful and I felt like poking my eyes out most of the time. good luck buddy I think you are on the right track. see you on the other side !

Members don't see this ad :)
everyone whining here about their 240's have super high expectations from themselves and represent 2% of all medical students...be proud of your 231! that's a great score.

10% of overall USMLE takers score 240 or over. Med students on average do better than that so it wouldn't surprise me if up to 15% of med students score 240+ which is like 35 students in a 180 student class, which is about as rare as AOA. Of course you'll have a lot more people score 240+ in some med schools than others.

From that, I don't think its unreasonable that some people are disappointed in scoring 'only' 240 even though I agree 231 is a great score.

Last edited:
10% of overall USMLE takers score 240 or over. Med students on average do better than that so it wouldn't surprise me if up to 15% of med students score 240+ which is like 35 students in a 180 student class, which is about as rare as AOA. Of course you'll have a lot more people score 240+ in some med schools than others.

From that, I don't think its unreasonable that some people are disappointed in scoring 'only' 240 even though I agree 231 is a great score.

15% of 180 is 27 not 35

220/91 ... damn.

Not what I was hoping for with practice tests placing me in the mid 240's. My score breakdown was really odd too. Super high in a few things, mid to high in others and then an abject fail in what was, on all my practice tests, my second best subject.. without which, i'm sure i would have gotten a MUCH better score. It's so off the scale of everything else I can hardly explain it. Either way, I'm disappointed and all the 250+-ers here haven't helped! Augh! :)

I still want to match in derm. Gotta find a way to make it happen.

My resident at clinic kept asking what was on my mind, that stupid number burned itself into the back of my retina.

Heard from the dean the other day that 20% of my class scored > 250! I was shocked by this.

So what is the date that the nbme is at for reporting the USMLE? Everyone is saying their scores but not saying when they took the test. I am just curious bc I took my exam on July 11th and I am trying to see when my scores will come out.

Heard from the dean the other day that 20% of my class scored > 250! I was shocked by this.

OMGosh! That's insane, dude! Do you know how that 20% was distributed? Like what percent got above 255 and 260? I'm thrilled that I'm in that 20%, and I don't think I'm choosing something so competitive for residency that I won't be able to get in, but geez...the national mean was 221 w/ a SD of 23!

So what is the date that the nbme is at for reporting the USMLE? Everyone is saying their scores but not saying when they took the test. I am just curious bc I took my exam on July 11th and I am trying to see when my scores will come out.

Probably the same day I'm getting it, since I took mine on July 9th. Should come out July 29th at earliest... 3rd wednesday

Oh I can't wait to see the scores. I hope its good. I almost forgot the fact that I did step 1.

I wonder if our school has one of the highest national Step 1 averages. Or maybe the whole nation is just starting to rock the Step 1. So the new average climbs to 230ish.

So what time have the scores been dropping on the respective Wednesday?

Anyone else get their scores yet?? Or should I continue to press refresh every 2 mins?

Hi guys,
This is the official thread for scores released on July 15th.It opens officially at midnight or 11 am or whatever time it is.Please record your scores and hopefully we will break the 283 record obtained by some indian guy in 2003

lol i got mine last week, i am indian too ahahahha, but i took mine in june, got it last week got 99% 3 digit 270..i wonder if that indian guy is fmg :confused:

The 2 digit score has to be one of the most stupid, meaningless, and confusing metrics of all time. If anything, the 2-digit score should be a percentile instead of another stupid score where 75 is passing and 99 starts in the upper 230s...

lol i got mine last week, i am indian too ahahahha, but i took mine in june, got it last week got 99% 3 digit 270..i wonder if that indian guy is fmg :confused:
troll.jpg

I think with the abundance of high scores on SDN, the trolls almost blend in... which isn't a bad thing, because the worst you can do to them is ignore them.

Anyone else get their scores yet?? Or should I continue to press refresh every 2 mins?
I got mine a little before 11am Eastern time. I also got an email. I'm not sure how long it was up before the email though.

I got mine a little before 11am Eastern time. I also got an email. I'm not sure how long it was up before the email though.

Hopefully it will only be a few more days for some of us. Nerve racking it will be.