Kansas State c/o 2021

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I don't know about everyone else but good luck on finals this week! and than interviews this weekend :nailbiting:

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I highly recommend reading over past interview questions here: http://schools.studentdoctor.net/sc...versity-college-of-veterinary-medicine#panel2
And of course know your application and your experiences really well!

Thank you so much for the link!!
I was going through these questions, and saw several questions about "terminal research". I have no idea what that is and asked several people but still did not figure it out.. do you happen to know what is this "terminal research"? Thank you in advance!!

Thank you so much for the link!!
I was going through these questions, and saw several questions about "terminal research". I have no idea what that is and asked several people but still did not figure it out.. do you happen to know what is this "terminal research"? Thank you in advance!!

In my experience, terminal research means that the animal does not survive the study. So for instance if it was a surgical procedure, they just would not be woken up and would be euthanized while under anesthesia at the end if the procedure instead of recovered. This also can mean that the animal must be euthanized for some reason prior to the study.

Reactions: 1 user
Does K-State have terminal surgeries? I researched a bit and found that some schools are not doing them now, and since K-State has the spay/neuter unit, I was wondering if they don't do terminal anymore.

Does K-State have terminal surgeries? I researched a bit and found that some schools are not doing them now, and since K-State has the spay/neuter unit, I was wondering if they don't do terminal anymore.
Most US schools don't do terminal surgeries anymore, I can't even think of one that does off the top of my head

WZ's right, we don't. All of the surgery experience in our curriculum is on shelter animals that are adopted out afterwards (often to students, haha).

Most US schools don't do terminal surgeries anymore, I can't even think of one that does off the top of my head
And I think the ones that do don't generally have them as required courses in the curriculum, so students uncomfortable with them aren't forced to take them to graduate.

And I think the ones that do don't generally have them as required courses in the curriculum, so students uncomfortable with them aren't forced to take them to graduate.
The last one I remember hearing about was a pig elective though I can't remember what school it was at.

In my experience, terminal research means that the animal does not survive the study. So for instance if it was a surgical procedure, they just would not be woken up and would be euthanized while under anesthesia at the end if the procedure instead of recovered. This also can mean that the animal must be euthanized for some reason prior to the study.

Ah now that makes lots of sense, thank you a lot! I have only heard about "non-survival study/procedure" before. Good to know!

That's good to hear! I understand why scientists use terminal surgery for research but I'm glad they're not doing them any more in vet school to be honest.

The last one I remember hearing about was a pig elective though I can't remember what school it was at.
I think there are a few more terminal surgery electives kicking around than people realize, although they're all obviously courses that are taken very seriously and thoughtfully. I'm aware of at least one elective terminal surgery course at CSU, and I think there may be at least one more, but don't quote me on that.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think there are a few more terminal surgery electives kicking around than people realize, although they're all obviously courses that are taken very seriously and thoughtfully. I'm aware of at least one elective terminal surgery course at CSU, and I think there may be at least one more, but don't quote me on that.
I'm not surprised schools don't exactly advertise them - they'd probably get a lot of **** for it.

I'm not surprised schools don't exactly advertise them - they'd probably get a lot of **** for it.

Yea, I think some people tend to take it way out of proportion, like the animals are given pain meds and anesthesia so they have no idea what's even happening. I still see the ethical concerns with it though. I'm glad they aren't required so that I can actually choose whether I would like to take a certain elective that has terminal surgeries or not

Oh yeah, 100%. I think it's also difficult to discuss how a school has been working to minimize terminal surgeries while still acknowledging that they are still in use for certain things where it's very difficult to find an alternative that offers comparable levels of learning/training.

I'm from Texas and we're planning to make the 7 hour drive to Manhattan for my interview - from last year, it looks like it tends to snow in the area more towards mid-January so I'm hoping it won't be an issue! We were worried about flying in because of flights getting cancelled from weather though - which is why we're driving. Any more tips for maneuvering winter weather with snow and ice?

We didn't encounter any snow in Manhattan last year, but it started snowing in Kansas City the day we were leaving (not heavy snow).

Sooo, I had a panic attack when I looked at my upcoming flight reservation to see that my flight would arrive this Friday in Kansas City, MISSOURI. I started scrambling to make new reservations until I discovered that:

1. There are two Kansas City's, one in Kansas and one in Missouri.

2. The two Kansas City's are nine minutes apart. Effectively the same city as far as I am concerned.

You locals definitely could have explained this better

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Sooo, I had a panic attack when I looked at my upcoming flight reservation to see that my flight would arrive this Friday in Kansas City, MISSOURI. I started scrambling to make new reservations until I discovered that:

2. The two Kansas City's are nine minutes apart. Effectively the same city as far as I am concerned.

Clearly you aren't a Chiefs fan. ;)

Reactions: 2 users

Haha whoops. Call it a right of passage! I had to go through that confusion too. The KCKS airport location is for tiny airplanes. You wouldn't want to fly into that location even if you had gotten it to show up on flight results. I have an apartment one block from Stateline street so yes, essentially same city IMO but don't tell any Native Missourians that because they get offended that KCMO is soooo not the same :rolleyes:

Haha whoops. Call it a right of passage! I had to go through that confusion too. The KCKS airport location is for tiny airplanes. You wouldn't want to fly into that location even if you had gotten it to show up on flight results. I have an apartment one block from Stateline street so yes, essentially same city IMO but don't tell any Native Missourians that because they get offended that KCMO is soooo not the same :rolleyes:

Not a native to either state but Missouri side wins because that Trader Joes sells booze

Reactions: 1 users

I had this exact reaction when looking over the conformation of my nonrefundable tickets... my husband still jokes about to anyone he can.

Does anyone know what the dress code for the pizza party is? My interview isn't until the beginning of January, but I won't be flying from home to Kansas, so I have to pack stuff for my interview and bring it with me so I have it to take to my interview.
I would THINK it'd be more casual with it being a pizza party, but I don't want to show up in clothes that are more casual (versus fancy interview-like clothes) and stick out.
Obviously, wouldn't show up in sweats or anything if it were more casual, but some nice black pants and a nice looking top

Does anyone know what the dress code for the pizza party is? My interview isn't until the beginning of January, but I won't be flying from home to Kansas, so I have to pack stuff for my interview and bring it with me so I have it to take to my interview.
I would THINK it'd be more casual with it being a pizza party, but I don't want to show up in clothes that are more casual (versus fancy interview-like clothes) and stick out.
Obviously, wouldn't show up in sweats or anything if it were more casual, but some nice black pants and a nice looking top
I asked Mary Sue Moore about this when I got my interview invite and this was the response she gave:
The interview is professional dress. The pizza party is casual. During the pizza party we will have a panel of current veterinary students in the front of the room to answer ANY questions from applicants or their families regarding school, housing, recreation etc.

I asked Mary Sue Moore about this when I got my interview invite and this was the response she gave:
The interview is professional dress. The pizza party is casual. During the pizza party we will have a panel of current veterinary students in the front of the room to answer ANY questions from applicants or their families regarding school, housing, recreation etc.

Yeah it's more of a presentation and Q&A than a party. Jeans or whatever is fine. It's in a big auditorium and they'll probably be quite a few people there. Really no bearing on your admissions, just if you want to know more about the school/Manhattan/etc.

Yeah it's more of a presentation and Q&A than a party. Jeans or whatever is fine. It's in a big auditorium and they'll probably be quite a few people there. Really no bearing on your admissions, just if you want to know more about the school/Manhattan/etc.
Okay, so would we be completely out of place if we didn't change after our interview? It seems like a lot to go back to our hotel and then come back to the school just to change outfits. It's sounding like I might be out of place if I do that;).

Thank you both!!

Yeah, but KCMO is the only KC that matters. They are definitely not the same. ;)

So everyone is so confused about things being out of staters, and not going to school here. MCI is ten minutes outside of town and even if there is snow, KDOT does a very good job of getting the roads cleared here in Kansas. The only reason the roads wouldn't be safe is if it were absolutely terrible outside when you showed up. Like to the point that your plane probably wouldn't fly in. The vet school is on the north end of campus, and campus is right in the middle of town, so even if you need to go back to the hotel it won't be more than ten minutes away from the school. The drive from Kansas City is nice! You get to drive through Topeka which is the Capital and the Flint Hills around Manhattan are very pretty at all times of the year. It's about a two hour drive.

Okay, so would we be completely out of place if we didn't change after our interview? It seems like a lot to go back to our hotel and then come back to the school just to change outfits. It's sounding like I might be out of place if I do that;).
I'm sure people will understand if you don't, but if I were you I'd want to change into comfier clothes.

I'll be on the student panel at the pizza party this Saturday and January 21st, so some of you will definitely see me! Feel free to PM me if you're interviewing this weekend and want to say hi. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Nah. See, you're just jelly because KCMO has all the cool stuff: KCI, Arrowhead/Kauffman, Nelson-Atkins, the zoo, the Plaza... need I go on?

:p But for real, though---I'm happy to see another KC person on here!

Not a native by any means, but by the time I graduate I'll have been in the state for over 10 years. My apartment is a 15-min walk from Plaza, Westport, 39th street and 10-min drive to downtown or to the Zoo. Perfect location and only $500/mo. (Won't have the place anymore once husband graduates nursing and moves to town) Bad thing about MHK is I haven't found cheap rent without also living with roommates. Still cheaper compared to SoCal, however.

Other than not wanting to start my day, I came here to say it looks like we might get a couple of inches this weekend. So I wanted to repeat: You'll be fine! Drive slow! Your route keeps you on the 70 for most of your trip from MCI. Slow down in advanced, don't brake suddenly or while turning. If I survived my first winter in Kansas with a freak 15" snowstorm that I still had to go to work in before roads were plowed (retail+holidays) then a couple inches on major roads that'll be salted and plowed = will be fine.
It will be cold this weekend so pack accordingly/buy warm socks and gloves.

Good luck this weekend with interviews!

I made a mistake in posting to the wrong thread and tried to delete but didn't see how. Sorry guys!

If anyone is interviewing this weekend, bring a coat! It's supposed to be very cold!

Other than not wanting to start my day, I came here to say it looks like we might get a couple of inches this weekend. So I wanted to repeat: You'll be fine! Drive slow! Your route keeps you on the 70 for most of your trip from MCI. Slow down in advanced, don't brake suddenly or while turning. If I survived my first winter in Kansas with a freak 15" snowstorm that I still had to go to work in before roads were plowed (retail+holidays) then a couple inches on major roads that'll be salted and plowed = will be fine.
It will be cold this weekend so pack accordingly/buy warm socks and gloves.

Good luck this weekend with interviews!

If anyone is interviewing this weekend, bring a coat! It's supposed to be very cold!
Haha I got on here to say the same thing!

I'm sure people will understand if you don't, but if I were you I'd want to change into comfier clothes.

I'll be on the student panel at the pizza party this Saturday and January 21st, so some of you will definitely see me! Feel free to PM me if you're interviewing this weekend and want to say hi. :)

I will see you on the 21st!! :D

has anyone got a rejection letter? I still haven't heard anything from them

has anyone got a rejection letter? I still haven't heard anything from them
Rejections probably won't be sent until February. I think they MIGHT send out a few more interview invites if people cancel, but no guarantees. :(

Rejections probably won't be sent until February. I think they MIGHT send out a few more interview invites if people cancel, but no guarantees. :(

Does that mean that they sent all invites already? No hope for those who are interested in LA?

Does that mean that they sent all invites already? No hope for those who are interested in LA?
As far as I know the majority of invites have been sent already, if not all of them, but they MAY send a few more if people cancel or if they feel the need to hold more interviews after all three interview weekends. It's my understanding that's why they wait a while to send rejections, so they don't reject people and then go "jk, we actually want to interview you." But if you want to know for sure I'd say email Mary Sue!

I just checked into the Kansas City Hilton, is anyone else here?

If you are coming to Manhattan for interviews this weekend: please be warned that this weekend is gonna be very cold and the temperature will probably drop to below zero tonight, so stay warm!
(But if you are from the north it's probably nothing to you :)

Too late, I'm already here in Topeka freezing my @$$ off