Kent State University College of Podiatric Medicine (KSUCPM) Class of 2025 Interview/Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did everyone get shadowing. Every podiatrist near me wont let me shadow due to covid

How did everyone get shadowing. Every podiatrist near me wont let me shadow due to covid

Unfortunately, you may have to wait until the vaccine comes out and when cases are declining again.

For now, if the other parts of your application are complete then you can two things:

1) Email programs and ask if they need a DPM LOR, explain your situation. You might get a waiver.
2) Submit an app here and hope someone contacts you soon to shadow: Find a Mentor

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys, I have an interview coming up soon. Does anyone have tips that I should go over before interview? I’ve been reading about the school and going over my application in case they ask about my grades etc. anything else I should do before then?

Hi guys, I have an interview coming up soon. Does anyone have tips that I should go over before interview? I’ve been reading about the school and going over my application in case they ask about my grades etc. anything else I should do before then?
If you haven't looked over past interview questions I'd check Dexter's link in the first post on this thread they are a huge help. Other than that you're solid. Kent State is usually one of the most laid back interviews but they may ask about grades/mcat or why did you switch if you were pursuing a different profession before podiatry a little harder than the overall interview which may catch you off guard. You can also practice mock interviews with friends/family using those questions if you feel you get nervous easily during interviews. Good luck you'll do fine!

Reactions: 1 users
I interviewed on Wednesday and was accepted yesterday. Interviewed with Carla and Dr. Petrozzi.
interview questions:
Why Kent State
Why podiatry
Explain this bad grade
How would you deal with burnout
How was shadowing this doc
How would your friends describe you
How did you balance academics and extracurriculars

Pretty casual interview. Done in 19 minutes. Hope this helps

Reactions: 1 user
I very recently learned about the field of Podiatric Medicine, I thought podiatry was a speciality that MDs/DOs went into as a specialty, which I now know is incorrect. I am looking to apply to now and for possible acceptance for the August 2021 class, but would it be too late, considering I don't have actual experience working with a DPM? I assume I have no chance of getting in without experience.
Before you do anything I highly suggest you shadow a few DPM's to truly understand what you're getting into.

This isn't an MD/DO, you are locked into foot and ankle from day one and can't change. Make sure this is exactly what you want to do and would be okay doing for the rest of your life.

That being said it is not too late. What are your stats like? If you're competitive for programs try to get some shadowing done as soon as possible and apply afterwards. Most programs will still interview you without a letter of recommendation but experience with DPM's is necessary. They will also most likely require a letter of rec from a DPM before starting in August 2021.

I would call around local podiatrist offices near you in order to get shadowing. Also you can find some through this link:

Find a Mentor

Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Before you do anything I highly suggest you shadow a few DPM's to truly understand what you're getting into.

This isn't an MD/DO, you are locked into foot and ankle from day one and can't change. Make sure this is exactly what you want to do and would be okay doing for the rest of your life.

That being said it is not too late. What are your stats like? If you're competitive for programs try to get some shadowing done as soon as possible and apply afterwards. Most programs will still interview you without a letter of recommendation but experience with DPM's is necessary. They will also most likely require a letter of rec from a DPM before starting in August 2021.

I would call around local podiatrist offices near you in order to get shadowing. Also you can find some through this link:

Find a Mentor

Good luck!
I agree with ballislife.

From day 1 you are going to lock yourself into a specialty. Yes we can do "derm, wound care, sports med etc." but again it still has its differences compared to your typical practice as a dermatologist etc. Some people may not like this, others do.

Really take the time to shadow. Get a feel for it, ask questions that can make or break it for you for this field. SDN pod physicians/residents have discussed some topics but mind you N=<30.

DPM admissions are low compared to MD/DO (and very low compared to Canadian MD if future Canadians are reading this) so it's not as difficult to get in at the moment. But this does not mean podiatry is easy... it's still medical school whether you like it or not.

Best of luck!

Find a Mentor

Good luck!
My guess would be that they may waive the LOR requirement considering the current circumstances but do not hold me to that...however no, you probably still have some time before schools start interviewing solely for waitlist spots.

Hi guys, :)

In my interview invite, they said they would connect me to a student panel. I was wondering how many days prior to the interview they normally send out the virtual student panel?

Thank you for all your help. Really appreciate it! :)

Hi guys, :)

In my interview invite, they said they would connect me to a student panel. I was wondering how many days prior to the interview they normally send out the virtual student panel?

Thank you for all your help. Really appreciate it! :)
The virtual student panel for me was the day before the actual interview date. I received the email invite for the panel a few days prior to the date.

I say this not to scare you guys but as a reality / word of wisdom.

Podiatry school may be easier to get into but you will be working your ass off to STAY in.

I say this as someone with mediocre / average stats. The learning curve and adjustments is big. If your grades / mcat is borderline, fix those deficiencies now and learn how to study / perform appropriately.

It is fast paced, and the amount of material we fly through is overwhelming.

It is doable, but you will fall behind quickly if you don't have a game plan. That and it's worse if you don't do well on the first exam and need to perform extraordinarily in the finals to pass the course.

I am a current first year and all the first year will tell you how demanding it is. I appreciate Kent and I am grateful for the opportunity. But I knew walking in that I needed to work on a lot of things in terms of studying style and exam performance. I was afraid like hell this semester and there were moments where I felt like I wasn't going to make it but I made it out alive, Mashallah!

Overall, enjoy the process and welcome to Kent.

Reactions: 4 users
I say this not to scare you guys but as a reality / word of wisdom.

Podiatry school may be easier to get into but you will be working your ass off to STAY in.
Premeds/prepods don't understand this until they get their ass kicked 1st semester.

Good on you for hanging in there and learning how to adjust.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hello guys,
When will the school tell you the exact time of the interview?

Finished the interview today, I felt like I did okay. How did you guys feel right after the interview?

Same. How long was your interview? Did they say they will get back to you next week?
The interview was about 20 minutes long. They said they will let me know either tomorrow or first week of January on the decision

They got back to us 5 days after the interview last year.

Good luck!

A five day turnaround for interview decisions? That's pretty nice. There are a lot of MD/DO applicants not hearing back for months.

A five day turnaround for interview decisions? That's pretty nice. There are a lot of MD/DO applicants not hearing back for months.

Podiatry cycle overall is less taxing and much more kinder than MD/DO world.

Hey guys,

I just got an acceptance letter!!

Reactions: 6 users
For anyone that applied with the MCAT waiver & was accepted do you mind sharing your stats? I just want to make sure applying with the waiver is a good idea for me.

Hey guys!
How long did it take to hear back for an interview invite after your app got verified?

1 week

I had my interview with Kent this morning and I think it went really well! I was told that I would hear back about my status by the end of the week. The faculty member and DPM that conducted my interview were really nice. Overall, it was a low stress interview and I think they got a good grasp of who I am as a person and a student. Good luck to everyone else interviewing soon!

Reactions: 6 users
Been awhile since I have posted on here. Things just keep changing for me. The Army keeps jerking me around and screwing me over but thats a longer story for a different time. In short, I will be going to Kent starting this fall and graduating in 2026. Again, it is a long story as to why it will take me 5 years, and the military has to do with that. I talked to countless people at Kent and was (somewhat) assured that when it comes to residency interviews, they will see that I had to take 5 years because of service obligation to the military and (probably) be understanding.

But anyway...yeah, here we are. Third school in 8 months. Oh well, Kent was my second choice and I am from Ohio so it doesn't matter really. I am just fortunate to get things settled and excited to get started!

Been awhile since I have posted on here. Things just keep changing for me. The Army keeps jerking me around and screwing me over but thats a longer story for a different time. In short, I will be going to Kent starting this fall and graduating in 2026. Again, it is a long story as to why it will take me 5 years, and the military has to do with that. I talked to countless people at Kent and was (somewhat) assured that when it comes to residency interviews, they will see that I had to take 5 years because of service obligation to the military and (probably) be understanding.

But anyway...yeah, here we are. Third school in 8 months. Oh well, Kent was my second choice and I am from Ohio so it doesn't matter really. I am just fortunate to get things settled and excited to get started!

It's gonna work out fine. Do your part in studying hard and passing the Boards. Good luck!