LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Keep in mind though, that Florida residency does have some benefits, including some pretty deep discounts at theme parks.

My insurance actually went down when I moved. I transferred my plates and license about 6 mos after school started without an issue...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm about halfway through the assigned reading from embryology and wondering how much of it I'm actually going to retain? Can any current students chime in on this? Is it worth it for me to tear into this reading or read it casually with the intention of re-reading it once the actual 1st PBL exam is closer. Or, just read it for the first time when the exam is close? I'm not even really sure it's assigned, I just remember an email saying something somewhere about the ch 2-6 of Moore's Embryology being on the first PBL exam. Thanks.

I'm about halfway through the assigned reading from embryology and wondering how much of it I'm actually going to retain? Can any current students chime in on this? Is it worth it for me to tear into this reading or read it casually with the intention of re-reading it once the actual 1st PBL exam is closer. Or, just read it for the first time when the exam is close? I'm not even really sure it's assigned, I just remember an email saying something somewhere about the ch 2-6 of Moore's Embryology being on the first PBL exam. Thanks.

It depends on you. Some people can read it once and remember every detail when test time rolls around 8 weeks later. Others have to read each chapter 3 or more times before it sticks. I found that a hybrid method worked for me. I'd usually read a topic in first aid or review books (BRS Embryo) first to get the idea of the important concepts, then read the chapter casually, then read the chapter again a bit later to get a more detailed understanding, then back to review books for a final review.

Some people highlight. Some don't. School will say not to, but it worked well for some. Do what works for you. Question banks are awesome to see how well you understand something, or to practice board questions...usmle world, combank, Kaplan q bank...in that order of usefulness. Probably too early to consider a subscription now, but definitely consider getting a year subscription to UWorld and/or COMBANK for 2nd year.

Just experiment and do what works best for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if the final list for the c/o 2010 match list was compiled yet?

http://www.stateofflorida.com/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx?tabid=210
---
Who Doesn't need [a Florida License]?
-Any non-resident attending college in Florida.
---

It's not clear that this applies to graduate school, but... I know how I'd read it. As far as plates, the web sites say you have to register your vehicle in Florida within so many days (like 10 or 14) of "establishing residency" but if you're a non-resident attending school in Florida, I don't think that would apply. The insurance companies will get you, though, because that's based upon where the car is parked and/or spends most of its time... or that could just be what my insurance people told me, because FL insurance rates suck.

Hope this helps. Keep in mind that this is studentdoctor.net and not studentlawyer.net; I can't vouch for this advice being legally sound!

:laugh: Thanks so much for the help, I promise to never come after you should any negative consequences due to your advice occur!

my classmates are going through this question now. those that kept their plates throughout school and now moved/bought a house for residency, what do you do? they transferred the plates over this week, it was over $400. I transferred my plates as soon as i moved here 4 yrs ago and it was 200. go figure. here's how i look at it, if your sticker/insur is cheaper in your state, keep them. as long as you maintain an out of state address to get your sticker/insur verification (like your parents) you'll be fine. there's an exemption that says as long as you're a student, it's ok.

Excellent, thank you! :)

the school did one but it was useless. LECOM didn't add emails to the locations so none knows how to contact them for info. I have made an updated one with the appropriate info. I will pass it onto the current students.

I wouldn't mind a copy...

I'm pretty sure without digitlnoize, MSmentor and the other extremely helpful people on this thread, I'd soon be wandering around a swamp somewhere.

Thanks guys :)

As for licenses and tags, they raised the fees significantly last summer shortly after I moved here. Expect to spend between $4-500 to do it. I never changed mine over though. If you have a spouse that works, you'll certainly want to establish residency if only because there is no state income tax. Otherwise, keep up with the DMV (tag renewals, inspections, etc) in your home state and just list your parent's address when you are filing taxes.

As for the embryology. I read it before school started but didn't retain ANY of it by the time of the exam. Once you start anatomy, there is just so much new stuff to learn you won't really be able to retain much of the embryo. If you want to read it, just read it quickly before school but don't stress about it until closer to the PBL time. For embryo in particular the questions come more from Dr. Kreuger's head than any particular book so talk to upperclassmen and check out some of the review books and other high yield material.

the school did one but it was useless. LECOM didn't add emails to the locations so none knows how to contact them for info. I have made an updated one with the appropriate info. I will pass it onto the current students.

I'd like a copy as well. Thank you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Just finished my first IM rotation here in Bradenton. Don't have time to go into tons of details now, but for any of you worrying about seeing a good breadth of pathology here...don't. Days started at 4am, ended around 2-4pm. We usually saw 10-15 hospital patients in the am, first alone (3 students = 3-5 pts each), then rounded with the doc. Then off to his office to see another 5-10 patients, depending on their complexity and your speed. Also rounds at nursing home he runs...tons of path there to see. Great learning experience.

Just finished my first IM rotation here in Bradenton. Don't have time to go into tons of details now, but for any of you worrying about seeing a good breadth of pathology here...don't. Days started at 4am, ended around 2-4pm. We usually saw 10-15 hospital patients in the am, first alone (3 students = 3-5 pts each), then rounded with the doc. Then off to his office to see another 5-10 patients, depending on their complexity and your speed. Also rounds at nursing home he runs...tons of path there to see. Great learning experience.
if this is who I am thinking of I did 3 months with him, glad to see nothing has changed....except I was alone in my first month! 1 student = all patients

Would ya'll mind commenting on the process of setting up rotations/clerkships at LECOM-B?

I'm a super-organized (bordering on pathological) person, so I don't mind filling out forms, submitting paperwork, chasing signatures, etc... I'm more curious about the volume of students to available rotations.

Have ya'll (current students) had any trouble?

Thanks!!!

Would ya'll mind commenting on the process of setting up rotations/clerkships at LECOM-B?

I'm a super-organized (bordering on pathological) person, so I don't mind filling out forms, submitting paperwork, chasing signatures, etc... I'm more curious about the volume of students to available rotations.

Have ya'll (current students) had any trouble?

Thanks!!!

About 50% of the students leave the area for rotations...most go up north to Penn. sites, but many go home too...

I had no trouble getting the spots here on town that I wanted. There were more than enough spots to go around, except in OB and Peds. Those are in somewhat short supply locally. I'm doing OB back home because I have it over XMas time and wanted to be home. I had to do peds in St. Pete, about a half hour away...although the Bradenton hospitals are a half hour away from my house near school too.

Does anyone know what happened to the "LECOM-Bradenton Class of 2014" thread in the "Medical Students" section of the forum? (i.e. where accepted students were posting/getting to know each other/occasionally arguing/etc)

I scanned through the posts here and nobody seems to have commented on the other thread's sudden disappearance... Anyone know what's up? Did one of the moderators take it down? Can we get a new one going?

Does anyone know what happened to the "LECOM-Bradenton Class of 2014" thread in the "Medical Students" section of the forum? (i.e. where accepted students were posting/getting to know each other/occasionally arguing/etc)

I scanned through the posts here and nobody seems to have commented on the other thread's sudden disappearance... Anyone know what's up? Did one of the moderators take it down? Can we get a new one going?

Try this link...I saved it to my subscription list long ago. It's been pretty inactive I think

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=673005

Ah yes, thanks digitlnoize. You are helpful as always. :)

I know that if you got accepted, you can try to email your entire coming class. Did you try to ask class 2014 that way? I know that for PCOM, I can email every students in the class. I haven't get accept to LECOM so I don't know how is LECOM works.

Is anyone still looking for housing? If so pleas PM me!

I know that if you got accepted, you can try to email your entire coming class. Did you try to ask class 2014 that way? I know that for PCOM, I can email every students in the class. I haven't get accept to LECOM so I don't know how is LECOM works.
you can do it at first then plead ignorance...then they'll come after you for doing it

I don't think they've set up the email addresses for the c/o 2014 yet, so that's not going to work. The 2014 LECOM-B facebook group is probably the way to go if you're not getting any bites here on SDN.

you can do it at first then plead ignorance...then they'll come after you for doing it

This must happen every year, with every class...

Hi everyone :)

Anyone know if students at LECOM-Bradenton are allowed to do clinical rotations in NYC? Are there hospitals affiliated with NYC, or would a student need to make the arrangements themselves? Thanks everyone and good luck! :luck:

Hi everyone :)

Anyone know if students at LECOM-Bradenton are allowed to do clinical rotations in NYC? Are there hospitals affiliated with NYC, or would a student need to make the arrangements themselves? Thanks everyone and good luck! :luck:

Yes, you're allowed and more than a few students do. You do have to set them up yourself though, but it doesn't seem to be much of a problem.

Keep in mind though, that Florida residency does have some benefits, including some pretty deep discounts at theme parks.

My insurance actually went down when I moved. I transferred my plates and license about 6 mos after school started without an issue...

I looked into transferring everything before school starts, and not only would it cost me about $500 to register my car in Florida, my insurance (quoted from the same company - only in Florida) would double (originally from PA). Maybe I'll try again next year, haha. :cool:

And with the whole theme park thing, I checked (at least Disney does this, I don't know about Universal), if you have a Florida student ID, you get the same discount. :D

I looked into transferring everything before school starts, and not only would it cost me about $500 to register my car in Florida, my insurance (quoted from the same company - only in Florida) would double (originally from PA). Maybe I'll try again next year, haha. :cool:

And with the whole theme park thing, I checked (at least Disney does this, I don't know about Universal), if you have a Florida student ID, you get the same discount. :D

You can use a florida student ID for the Disney discounts? Thats new to me! Awesome!

You can use a florida student ID for the Disney discounts? Thats new to me! Awesome!

Yes, it works; I've done it. I brought along a utility bill with my address just in case since that's not on the ID, but I can't remember if the ticket agent ever asked to see it.

How much time off do we get between each year? My family in NY is starting to freak out and think they're never going to see me again, so I was wondering what kind of break we get between each year?

Thanks!

How much time off do we get between each year? My family in NY is starting to freak out and think they're never going to see me again, so I was wondering what kind of break we get between each year?

Thanks!

Well... yeah, you're probably not going to see them as much as you'd like. You'll have to talk them into coming down to Florida during the long, cold winter. Good luck with that! ;) Your first 2 years, you get a Christmas break of about 2 weeks, and almost a full week off for Thanksgiving, but no spring break.

The only time you really get a break between years is between 1st and 2nd year. My vacation time was May 22 until August 2 this year. 2nd year finishes up in mid-April, so you have ~5 or 6 weeks off until rotations start in June, but that time is meant to be spent studying for step I of the boards (since you have to pass step I to continue with your rotations). In years 3 and 4, you get 1 month off each year, but which month you get depends on your specific rotation schedule.

In years 3 and 4, you get 1 month off each year, but which month you get depends on your specific rotation schedule.
vacation is all relative to how well you can balance time. I took time off here and there in 1st-2 yrs. went on a cruise, studied on the ship. flew up to NJ almost once a month for 2-3 days. you get the usual 3 mo during summers. yr 3 you're real busy, you officially get 1 mo off. during the rest of the time it's ALL BASED ON YOUR PRECEPTOR. I worked hard and for that had plenty of time to play hard. 4th yr. tons of interviews/step 2....after that it's all vacation, all the time.

Hey guys.

Just declined my acceptance. Best of luck to you all!