LECOM-Erie Class of 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No, JRod, not silly at all. I think we like this stuff, and frankly its probably alot more enjoyable reading when there's not a test at the end. Embrace your inner-nerd.

Well put!!!! But I love the rush of taking a test. I am a glutton for punishment!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Anatomy... I learned it once as Pre-med at MSU, if I now review it from the road map book I will know it even better and it will be second nature when school starts. That will give me more time to do other things, like work out or sleep because I wont have to spend as much time learning and remembering the names of bones and joints, and fascias. It will be one big review at LECOM. Thats just what I think though, its more enjoyable reading my anatomy book then a novell. :D

Anatomy... I learned it once as Pre-med at MSU, if I now review it from the road map book I will know it even better and it will be second nature when school starts. That will give me more time to do other things, like work out or sleep because I wont have to spend as much time learning and remembering the names of bones and joints, and fascias. It will be one big review at LECOM. Thats just what I think though, its more enjoyable reading my anatomy book then a novell. :D

Sorry dude, sounds great but its not gonna be that easy. If you've taken undergrad anatomy already then you've done all you can do. I understand you're excited about whats to come, but just enjoy doing nothing.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry dude, sounds great but its not gonna be that easy. If you've taken undergrad anatomy already then you've done all you can do. I understand you're excited about whats to come, but just enjoy doing nothing.
But you know what? I remember last year when I was a 1st year and your class was getting ready to come in. Lots of you sat down and said I'm going to study despite the advice I gave to not study.

Engineerdout How is the end of the semester going for you? I haven't studied anything this week, I might actually go to the movies today just to break up the monotony of doing nothing. Next semester though I'm going to hate it... stupid COMLEX

But you know what? I remember last year when I was a 1st year and your class was getting ready to come in. Lots of you sat down and said I'm going to study despite the advice I gave to not study.

Engineerdout How is the end of the semester going for you? I haven't studied anything this week, I might actually go to the movies today just to break up the monotony of doing nothing. Next semester though I'm going to hate it... stupid COMLEX

So this is advice that is passed down every year that is never followed. So we study now and get thrown for a loop when we start and wish we didn't study at all. We become scorned by not listening that we warn the next class who is defiant like us. They study and then the get thrown for a loop, become scorned and..... What a vicious cycle!!!!!!

LOL!!!!!

I guess they really do try to find people who fit the same mind frame. I guess I am going back to blindly studying and ignoring all your warnings. LOL!!!

Damn cycle!!!!

Could any current students give me a rough idea of when housing starts to fill up? I am trying to plan out a time for my wife and I to go to Erie and look for something but don't want to go too early/late.

Yeah well I was NOT one of those people. The only thing I did before starting med school was go to work during the day to pay for all the alcohol I would drink at night. Jrod: Put the books down and grab a beer.

This past week was pretty rough. Six lecture days followed by a recitation/workshop are draining. By the end up them my mind is shut off, but still gotta go home and review the lectures. 30 (real) lectures in a week is not fun. Makes me wish anatomy was back.

I was wondering about second year and how you manage to study for Step 1 on top of usual class. Where do you even find the time? Goooooooooood luck. :thumbup:

Are students exempt from needing a PA license/registration?
If you keep your parents' address as your permanent address, and that's the address of your current license/registration, I'm pretty sure the state doesn't care if you keep that. If your current address is some apartment somewhere, then you either need to change it to your parents' address or get a PA one within a couple months of moving. It might be worth it to check out the difference in car insurance - if the trouble of changing your address saves you hundreds of dollars...

When and where is the white coat ceremony?

Just got my matriculation packet via email. Lots and lots to do now, and it looks like everyone has to make an appearance on campus again before March to get their picture taken for photo ID's.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got my matriculation packet via email. Lots and lots to do now, and it looks like everyone has to make an appearance on campus again before March to get their picture taken for photo ID's.

Before march? I got my picture taken the week before classes started (as did most people I know).

Yeah, don't think you would have to come back before the week before classes start to get your ID picture. You sure you are reading that right? Maybe it's submitting the background check forms that you have to do

Yeah, don't think you would have to come back before the week before classes start to get your ID picture. You sure you are reading that right? Maybe it's submitting the background check forms that you have to do

The packet I got today also says to have your ID photo taken and computer configured by March 1, 2010. Seeing as how I would have to fly across the country just to get a photo taken, I am going to call and see if it can't be put off until closer to when classes start

I may go to Erie early to find an apartment and get that done.

How early is everyone planning on going out to get a place to live? I am trying to find out a time to go but I wil lstil lbe in school.

Could any current students give me a rough idea of when housing starts to fill up? I am trying to plan out a time for my wife and I to go to Erie and look for something but don't want to go too early/late.

I have the same question as well. How early should we be looking into and signing leases on apt for next fall?

I'm planning on heading up in January, but I only live 45 minutes South of Erie. From what I've heard, the apartments closest to campus go quick as do the handful of three-bedroom units. I want a unit with covered parking that's reasonably close to campus, so I plan on signing my life away as soon as somebody with a place I like will let me.

Also - To those of you that use a Mac for your schoolwork at LECOM, what exactly is it that they do to configure your computer for the network and are they going to pitch a fit when I bring in a MacBook Pro? I just absolutely refuse to buy a PC that's just going to crash on me at least once or twice a month...

Last edited:
I'm planning on heading up in January, but I only live 45 minutes South of Erie. From what I've heard, the apartments closest to campus go quick as do the handful of three-bedroom units. I want a unit with covered parking that's reasonably close to campus, so I plan on signing my life away as soon as somebody with a place I like will let me.

Also - To those of you that use a Mac for your schoolwork at LECOM, what exactly is it that they do to configure your computer for the network and are they going to pitch a fit when I bring in a MacBook Pro? I just absolutely refuse to buy a PC that's just going to crash on me at least once or twice a month...
To configure a mac, they don't do anything, they write down a serial number and go on you are done. When I got my new computer I never even took it to them to "configure" it. So don't worry too much about it

And you do not need a PC

I got this as well:

Let me know how they respond to your email. I may go to Erie early to find an apartment and get that done. I'm also going to have to purchase a laptop (Bleeker, did the Army refund you the price of your laptop after the fact?)

The Army will not reimburse you for the cost of a laptop unless renting one is required by the school which is not the case at LECOM. They only reimburse you for books, medical equipment (even for my OMM table I bought), and exams/residency app fees. You will get the deposit refunded back but it took me a couple months before I started getting paid which sucked.

Slevin, I read many med students/residents/attendings on this site tell me not to study before class started and I didn't. I watched a lot of tv, drank, and did a whole lot of nothing. I was really bored this summer but I really miss it sometimes. I even miss anatomy because I had time to not study on Fridays and we went out both nights of the weekend. I can't even tell you the last time I went out to a bar on a Friday night. Only one more week though. Then it's on

The e-mail states, "Over the next couple of months, you are required to schedule an appointment to come to the LECOM campus to have a photograph taken for your photo-identification /key card ....prior to March 1, 2010."

So I guess I am coming soon!!! That solves my question of when I am going to visit to find apartment.

Slevin, I read many med students/residents/attendings on this site tell me not to study before class started and I didn't. I watched a lot of tv, drank, and did a whole lot of nothing. I was really bored this summer but I really miss it sometimes. I even miss anatomy because I had time to not study on Fridays and we went out both nights of the weekend. I can't even tell you the last time I went out to a bar on a Friday night. Only one more week though. Then it's on

Sigh yeah this has been a rough few weeks. Been dying to go out to the bars but just can't afford to. And yeah, can't believe looking back how much free time we had during anatomy. I'd say after OPP next wed, its on.

The e-mail states, "Over the next couple of months, you are required to schedule an appointment to come to the LECOM campus to have a photograph taken for your photo-identification /key card ....prior to March 1, 2010."

So I guess I am coming soon!!! That solves my question of when I am going to visit to find apartment.

LOL!!!!!!!!

We have till March 1st to make the appointment to come....Not to come to LECOM by March 1st. I read it wrong at first as well. Kinda worded funny. I am still calling tomorrow.

Any insight into what "configuring" the school needs to do for your computer? I plan on using a mac and shirking the LECOM's silly prohibition of such a fine OS.

Any insight into what "configuring" the school needs to do for your computer? I plan on using a mac and shirking the LECOM's silly prohibition of such a fine OS.

It seems that they are pretty adamant about their disdain for your beloved MAC. Although you should consider what implications my arise by showing up with your MAC and the blatant disregard for their policy. I would advice against starting ill feeling this early in the game!!!!

JRod, No ill will intended at all. I'm all about LECOM and proud to be heading there. Silly policies abound at any and every school. I just happen to know that my computer will be able to do any task they require. But if they're not willing to "configure" my mac then I'm going to have to do it myself. I would imagine its no more than installing some software and establishing a wireless account.

Oh I see what you mean. You're suggesting that disregard for their policy might foment ill feelings between me and IT. Well, OK. I should hope it wouldn't. If my computer cannot do what it needs to then I'll gladly switch, I suspect otherwise however.

My wife's school was frankly scared of macs for a long time. The unknown, you know? But since her department purchased a few, the IT guys have been amazed at how simple their job became.

Is there a computer lab at LECOM? What kind of printing service is available (ie a certain allowance of free printing available to students)? Should I invest in a printer before classes start? Do most students print out power point slides/notes that are provided or just take notes/study from laptops? I normally prefer taking notes on paper and studying from that instead of a computer screen, but I don't know if I want to waste (?) so much paper and ink on printing out notes everyday.

Configuring a mac is just the school writing down your serial number, they don't do anything else with it. When I got a new mac partway though my first semester I didn't even take it to the IT dept to get "configured"

Despite the disdain that the IT dept shows towards mac's at least 10-20% of the class have Mac's and I've used nothing but a Mac while here at LECOM. You will not have any problems

Is there a computer lab at LECOM? What kind of printing service is available (ie a certain allowance of free printing available to students)? Should I invest in a printer before classes start? Do most students print out power point slides/notes that are provided or just take notes/study from laptops? I normally prefer taking notes on paper and studying from that instead of a computer screen, but I don't know if I want to waste (?) so much paper and ink on printing out notes everyday.
Computers in the library run really slowly. There is no quota of printing you can have, it costs .10 to print each page of a paper

You can get noteservice if you want. It's student run and you get the powerpoint slides printed out and in your locker in the morning before class and you also can get scribe notes, which are notes taken by a person designated to take notes during a particular class period. I think it was ~$150 for a semester or year (I can't remember which). I thought I would take notes on paper but I quickly realized I didn't want the hassle of so much paper so I am completely paperless. I like it so much better

It seems that they are pretty adamant about their disdain for your beloved MAC. Although you should consider what implications my arise by showing up with your MAC and the blatant disregard for their policy. I would advice against starting ill feeling this early in the game!!!!

Seriously guys, LECOM isn't as strict as everyone makes them out to be. The IT dept won't care if you have a Mac or PC. You just might not get any tech service from them if you have a Mac. You aren't gonna piss anyone off by having a Mac. Otherwise at least 25-30% of my class would be in trouble. Stop stressing out about school this far in advance or you are gonna be miserable when school starts. Just relax and enjoy your life now because once school starts, you won't have much time for a life outside school. Sometimes I wish LECOM had cots or attached rooms I could stay in overnite.

Seriously guys, LECOM isn't as strict as everyone makes them out to be. The IT dept won't care if you have a Mac or PC. You just might not get any tech service from them if you have a Mac. You aren't gonna piss anyone off by having a Mac. Otherwise at least 25-30% of my class would be in trouble. Stop stressing out about school this far in advance or you are gonna be miserable when school starts. Just relax and enjoy your life now because once school starts, you won't have much time for a life outside school. Sometimes I wish LECOM had cots or attached rooms I could stay in overnite.
Bleeker

Don't you love it when you have incoming students think they know all about the school and get their panties in a twist

Whoa guys, cut us a little slack. I'll take your word for it that we won't have any issues with IT but unless we greenhorns speculate/ inquire how would we know?? The school's own prospectus says "A mac is not acceptable as your required laptop. ALL macs will be confiscated and destroyed." Not acceptable is pretty strong language if what they mean is, "IT will not provide in-house technical support for students who choose Apple computers." But OK I'll bite, we'll be good with any computer we choose, and its you who've convinced me. Thanks. I'll bring my mac and even buy a new one once school's started.

Whoa guys, cut us a little slack. I'll take your word for it that we won't have any issues with IT but unless we greenhorns speculate/ inquire how would we know?? The school's own prospectus says "A mac is not acceptable as your required laptop. ALL macs will be confiscated and destroyed." Not acceptable is pretty strong language if what they mean is, "IT will not provide in-house technical support for students who choose Apple computers." But OK I'll bite, we'll be good with any computer we choose, and its you who've convinced me. Thanks. I'll bring my mac and even buy a new one once school's started.

I agree. I also feel that "not acceptable as your required laptop" was very strong wording if their intention was to say that IT support will not be provided. I also must consider that we may be the first year to exclusively use Microsoft. I have sifted through lots of information that LECOM has provided and It is rare to see an italic and underlined statement. Without personal experience to offset this information.... well that is why I posted the question.

I saw a guy with a mac the other day walking through the building. The IT woman herself tackled him. He suffered a CVA and now can no longer have children. True story.

I saw a guy with a mac the other day walking through the building. The IT woman herself tackled him. He suffered a CVA and now can no longer have children. True story.
That's not entirely true, The guy went to get treated by Dr. H in the OMT dept. and was healed using muscle energy that shot of their hands. This did nothing to help the laptop get situation though

That's not entirely true, The guy went to get treated by Dr. H in the OMT dept. and was healed using muscle energy that shot of their hands. This did nothing to help the laptop get situation though

So thats where the 8Hz I was feeling came from. Also this odd glow too...

The e-mail states, "Over the next couple of months, you are required to schedule an appointment to come to the LECOM campus to have a photograph taken for your photo-identification /key card ....prior to March 1, 2010".

I called and they said that I need to call back after January 1st. They were not ready yet. Did you guys get the same message?